Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi Lockjaw:. Whats your match-ups with them boys you identified."
Harte - McMenamin
Canavan - McGee
Donnelly - P Brennan
McKenna - Eoghan Ban

Very much open to debate though. If we can force McKenna into working back towards to his own goals rather than ours it'll negate a big threat of theirs. No better man than Eoghan Ban for that job.

I think Neil can to an intimidation job on Canavan but he'll need support in and around him.

I'd be confident in McMenamin's abilities to spoil Harte - just needs to watch the discipline and concession of frees.

For Donnelly we need a physical man marker who isn't bothered about his own game. Take your pick from P Brennan/Doherty. I'd say judging by the two league games Brennan is in pole position there.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 28/10/2020 14:04:04    2302489

Link

Mc Gee goes on Mc Kenna inside. When Mc Kenna comes out it the question. I noticed they tried O Baoill on him out the field. Maybe Brennan?

Harte gets picked up by Mc Fadden Ferry if he was about. I think that job will now to go Mc Grath or Eoin Mc Hugh if Harte is operating deeper.

Donnelly goes to Mc Menamin. Although they might try big Mc Gonagle on him to match Donnellys power game. Freeing Mc Menamin up for Harte if Mc Grath is not up to speed.

Eoghan Ban on Mc Curry. But would be interesting to see Ryan going on him. And counter attacking.

So many possibilities. Looking forward to it now.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 28/10/2020 14:26:33    2302500

Link

Good stuff boys. Plenty marking options anyhow and arguments for and against. If Tyrone didn't play Mayo we would have been a bit more in the dark.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 28/10/2020 15:40:53    2302534

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Good stuff boys. Plenty marking options anyhow and arguments for and against. If Tyrone didn't play Mayo we would have been a bit more in the dark."
Ah sure look most likely we'll be completely wrong. It's right of course that we look to keep close tabs on their main men. But I think there's a danger too of becoming too worried about their threats. Mickey Harte has more to worry about dealing with our attacking options in my opinion.

Who will mark Murphy? Looks like Hampsey is out and their next best marker in Brennan is suspended. Maybe McNamee? But then who looks after Brennan, McBrearty, Gallen etc

Then there's the physicality and skill of Langan and Thompson to contend with.

What is their plan for Ban and Ryan McHugh bombing forward from deep?

Like I say, Tyrone will have had an extremely successful day at the office to thwart all of those attacking threats.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 28/10/2020 18:54:29    2302599

Link

This Brilliant video on Ryan McHugh has got me excited for Sunday. link

SlipperyDodger (Cork) - Posts: 93 - 28/10/2020 20:54:11    2302652

Link

This Brilliant video on Ryan McHugh has got me excited for Sunday. link

SlipperyDodger (Cork) - Posts: 93 - 28/10/2020 21:00:06    2302658

Link

Replying To SlipperyDodger:  "This Brilliant video on Ryan McHugh has got me excited for Sunday. link"
Quality.....anybody know if the grey and green training top ever was available for commercial purchase or specifically for the panel only?

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 28/10/2020 21:53:52    2302669

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Ah sure look most likely we'll be completely wrong. It's right of course that we look to keep close tabs on their main men. But I think there's a danger too of becoming too worried about their threats. Mickey Harte has more to worry about dealing with our attacking options in my opinion.

Who will mark Murphy? Looks like Hampsey is out and their next best marker in Brennan is suspended. Maybe McNamee? But then who looks after Brennan, McBrearty, Gallen etc

Then there's the physicality and skill of Langan and Thompson to contend with.

What is their plan for Ban and Ryan McHugh bombing forward from deep?

Like I say, Tyrone will have had an extremely successful day at the office to thwart all of those attacking threats."
Exactly my sentiments too Lock. I do think Tyrone have more to worry about in terms of match ups not to downplay the importance of our own with McKenna and co. Another dilemma for them will be kickouts and what way they will try to counteract our high ball winners.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 28/10/2020 21:56:47    2302671

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "Aye we should never play in Letterkenny again, Mac Cumhaill park is great with a good crowd, Ballyshannon is lucky for us but all county games should be in Ballybofey. roll on Sunday, the days are flying in, great to have county football back again even if its only for a few weeks. best medicine going."
Ballyshannon is a great test of an oppositions stomach for battle. Loads of teams have never got got off the bus there. I really like the claustrophobic nature of ballybofey. In fairness to Letterkenny it's a great surface but the horrendous record can't be ignored. Hopefully sometime over the next few years they'll be able to put a new pitch in ballybofey. Cavan resurfaced breffni park recently and it's a very fine job.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 28/10/2020 22:31:42    2302682

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Mc Gee goes on Mc Kenna inside. When Mc Kenna comes out it the question. I noticed they tried O Baoill on him out the field. Maybe Brennan?

Harte gets picked up by Mc Fadden Ferry if he was about. I think that job will now to go Mc Grath or Eoin Mc Hugh if Harte is operating deeper.

Donnelly goes to Mc Menamin. Although they might try big Mc Gonagle on him to match Donnellys power game. Freeing Mc Menamin up for Harte if Mc Grath is not up to speed.

Eoghan Ban on Mc Curry. But would be interesting to see Ryan going on him. And counter attacking.

So many possibilities. Looking forward to it now."
Hi TheRock2121:. Tyrone are bound to have a few surprises for Sunday, they wouldn't have shown everything against Mayo, too many eyes on, bigger picture etc. Will they go attacking like they did last Sunday or go defensive, or a mixture of both, maybe try and get ahead and blanket up. Will the weather have any bearing on how Tyrone set-up, if it's a really foul day it could be a low scoring dog fight and the blanket might further suit them to keep it low scoring.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 29/10/2020 15:37:21    2302862

Link

Thank god to get that one out of the way, crossbar saved us in the end and don't know if the boys could of got back up the pitch at that stage. Didn't think Ryan would be so quiet even if well marked, hopefully that's the worst days rain for the rest of the championship. Young McKelvey being thrown in at the start was a strange decision, same thing was done with mc cole a couple of yrs ago and taken off then early, it doesn't help a young lad that, after all the chat about our strong bench there must be a few lads carrying knocks or they'd have been on. That was a very sapping day on the lads today so well done and only 4 games to go now.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 01/11/2020 16:58:21    2303938

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Thank god to get that one out of the way, crossbar saved us in the end and don't know if the boys could of got back up the pitch at that stage. Didn't think Ryan would be so quiet even if well marked, hopefully that's the worst days rain for the rest of the championship. Young McKelvey being thrown in at the start was a strange decision, same thing was done with mc cole a couple of yrs ago and taken off then early, it doesn't help a young lad that, after all the chat about our strong bench there must be a few lads carrying knocks or they'd have been on. That was a very sapping day on the lads today so well done and only 4 games to go now."
Think McKelvey was taken off as he got a yellow card. Sensible decision as very easy to pick up a second in those conditions.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 396 - 01/11/2020 17:47:07    2303972

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Thank god to get that one out of the way, crossbar saved us in the end and don't know if the boys could of got back up the pitch at that stage. Didn't think Ryan would be so quiet even if well marked, hopefully that's the worst days rain for the rest of the championship. Young McKelvey being thrown in at the start was a strange decision, same thing was done with mc cole a couple of yrs ago and taken off then early, it doesn't help a young lad that, after all the chat about our strong bench there must be a few lads carrying knocks or they'd have been on. That was a very sapping day on the lads today so well done and only 4 games to go now."
The bench was excellent today. McHugh, McClean, Gallen and Paddy all had an impact on the game.

themaddog (Wicklow) - Posts: 79 - 01/11/2020 17:53:02    2303976

Link

Great for the players and management to win that game. The conditions were every bit as bad as they promised to be. Mccumhaill park needs to be resurfaced at some point. Celtic park is in much better shape for example.

Donegal did not start well. As much as I thought resting players last week was the right idea, Thompson, langan, mcmenamin, Farrah, Brennan all played last week and were key men today. Eoin mchugh, mclean and McGrath when they came added something as well.

I would say Donegal were delighted at half time because there was no they should have been ahead.

They were the better side in the second half and deserved it, the midfield dominance did matter. They did gave a way a sloppy goal which was not ideal and generally turned over the ball a bit too much. Anyhow fair play to them all.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 01/11/2020 17:54:41    2303979

Link

Great for the players and management to win that game. The conditions were every bit as bad as they promised to be. Mccumhaill park needs to be resurfaced at some point. Celtic park is in much better shape for example.

Donegal did not start well. As much as I thought resting players last week was the right idea, Thompson, langan, mcmenamin, Farrah, Brennan all played last week and were key men today. Eoin mchugh, mclean and McGrath when they came added something as well.

I would say Donegal were delighted at half time because there was no they should have been ahead.

They were the better side in the second half and deserved it, the midfield dominance did matter. They did gave a way a sloppy goal which was not ideal and generally turned over the ball a bit too much. Anyhow fair play to them all.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 01/11/2020 17:54:51    2303980

Link

Good win on a terrible day. Not used to watching Donegal play on tv hopefully after this year won't have to again. Great to see the lads stepping up when Murphy and mc Hugh we're kept quiet. Mc gee done well hopefully injury not to serious. Taught Hugh was immense he has really blossomed into a top county player, Thompson and langan very good too but in fairness they all put in a huge shift. Armagh next Saturday week it'll not be easy Armagh have very good forwards and an excellent free kicker. Mc kelvey taken off because of the booking I would say too risky leaving a young inexperienced lad on after a yellow card.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 01/11/2020 18:02:22    2303983

Link

Replying To themaddog:  "The bench was excellent today. McHugh, McClean, Gallen and Paddy all had an impact on the game."
I understand what your saying but in fairness Gallen and Eoin maybe been better starters today as both are tigerish in them conditions, Mcclean came in for Neil which was strange and paddy's just returning from a long lay off so today would help him no end. We made very hard work of it today just couldn't hold the ball and ran into the opposition far too often.

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 01/11/2020 19:23:59    2304043

Link

Delighted to get the result today which I thought was well deserved in the end. I must admit I thought we were going to have one of those days up until the first water break. However the contribution of 1-1 from Michael Langan changed the game back in our favour. We didn't help ourselves especially just after half time when instead of going 4 points up after routine points were missed by Murphy and Brennan we managed to be a couple down after conceding a cheap 1-1 where we were the creators of our own downfall. The players deserve great credit for showing great character at this point especially when Murphy and Ryan were well marshalled by Tyrone. Think today exercised some of the ghosts of Castlebar where others stepped up today. I say some as that question still remains for some of these players when in a dogfight against a top team from outside of Ulster. Huge leadership today from Langan and Thompson. Also shout out to McFadden who was excellent in the last 15-20 mins. Plus young lads like Gallen and Mogan really stepped up. That score from Gallen under that pressure was of the highest quality. To think some doubted he would have made much difference against Fermanagh last year for the under twenties really shows how clueless some people can be. Mogan showed huge leadership in the second half of that particular game and always has at underage so pleasing to see him do it at senior. Shout out too for the subs all of whom made a difference. Obviously Oisin but thought McClean and Eoin McHugh made big differences. Looking forward while I still have great faith in Patton I hope he eradicates some of the mistakes that have come into his game of late. Didn't fill me with confidence on a couple of occasions today following on from last week.

On a couple of talking points it was interesting to catch some of the analysis on the BBC and compare to RTE especially in relation to the Paul Brennan card incident. There is no denying it was a plain stupid thing to do but was pale in comparison to some of the things that went on including the late hits with the intention of leaving a mark on while looking completely innocent. The real talking point was the reaction of the Tyrone man which was truly pathetic and rightly called out as such on RTE yet basically looked over by Canavan and McConville who were calling for red card especially when comparing to incident where Brennan from Tyrone got 12 week ban. Yes they were correct in highlighting the injustice of the severity of his ban. However should be ashamed of themselves for not calling out the reaction of the Tyrone man going down like he did. Maybe a 12 week ban for him might stop such pathetic play acting? Another bone of contention was both calling for a penalty against Stephen McMenamin for handling on the ground. He was falling under pressure and could hardly avoid it. Different if he made arm movement to the ball. Thankfully the officials applied common sense unlike those two who clearly been watching too much premiership football and influenced by the shambles that is the micro management of VAR there.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 01/11/2020 19:58:37    2304061

Link

Hugh McFadden was excellent today. Positioned excellently from first minute to the last. Carried and progressed the ball very well given the conditions. When Murphy calls time on his inter-county career we are ever-so-lucky to have a strong ball-carrying commander waiting right behind him to step up as leader.

Delighted with the performances of McGonagle, Langan, Paul Brennan, and Thompson who's super-shooting in the conditions was the difference. Outstanding to hit 7 points in that wind and rain.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 01/11/2020 20:25:20    2304086

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "I understand what your saying but in fairness Gallen and Eoin maybe been better starters today as both are tigerish in them conditions, Mcclean came in for Neil which was strange and paddy's just returning from a long lay off so today would help him no end. We made very hard work of it today just couldn't hold the ball and ran into the opposition far too often."
It was a dirty, wet, sloppy day and mistakes were inevitable. Today was about the result not the performance. Donegal have plenty to work on, as it should be this early in the championship. Grinding out a victory is a good start to the campaign.

themaddog (Wicklow) - Posts: 79 - 01/11/2020 20:42:08    2304100

Link