Donegal Forum

Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well its very clear from today that Tyrone both rested players and performance last week v us whereas we were almost full strength.

Tyrone will be a very different team next week buoyed by getting the win and safety today. They went full steam from the start and when ahead comfortably killed the game by slowing the game and fouling tactically when needed. I'd expect them to play a similar game next week so we're can't let them get that lead they need.

I still think we can get at them from restarts. Last year in the championship and again last week we cleaned them out at midfield. If we can push right up on Morgans kick outs I think we can control the restarts. The big worry for me is turnovers. Kerry punished us on a few occasions yesterday and Tyrone got a goal last week from us losing possession in the attacking half. Tyrone will look to run hard at us in counter next week. We need a spare man minding the house.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 25/10/2020 16:59:12    2301227

Link

I think Mickey played his cards well, they have great momentum now and we are coming in after a heavy defeat, albeit it was like a challenge game for us in Tralee, we need to be at it next Sunday because anything less than 100% effort and we will have no chance, Mc kenna is going to take some watching.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1164 - 25/10/2020 19:12:31    2301304

Link

Tyrone weren't as bad as people were making out last weekend, and they played very well today down in Mayo to secure their Div 1 status.

They looked a lot more dangerous today with Harte and Cannavan inside, and McKenna was superb. Mattie Donnelly was a lot more influential today as well. So they'll certainly bring a lot to the table next weekend.

That said, Mayo cut through them easily a few times in the first half with hard running from deep. I'd be confident our lads can get at them in a similar way, and hopefully we'll be more calm and clinical when the chances present themselves.

All set up for a cracker! Do or die stuff. We need to hit them hard and early and keep the foot on the throat.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 25/10/2020 20:24:27    2301349

Link

Tyrone appeared to go after the Mayo kickout today, and got a lot of success from it. I don't think they can afford to go after ours, Patton's distribution is on a different level to David Ckarke's. I think they will retreat, try to turn us over, and hit long balls into their forwards. They look dangerous today with the early long ball, so we will have to beware, especially of McKenna. So, who do put on him? McMenamin is probably our best bet closer to goal, but if he is dropping deep I think Eoghan Ban should be detailed to follow him. It's going to be an intruiging battle, so many variables. Its only Sunday and already I can't sleep.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 26/10/2020 00:07:35    2301443

Link

Since the last match in mccumhaill Park there's been a lot of rain and the forecast for the week ahead is nothing but the same. I wonder how playable mccumhaill Park will be as a result. At the very least it's going to be very heavy and worst case miserable playing conditions.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 26/10/2020 11:08:35    2301529

Link

Tyrone will see that Kerry pressed us high at the weekend and got a lot of success. They also had some success pressing Mayo high.

At times they'll sit back and go ultra defensive and force turnovers back here also.

However I think if they press us high we can run through them with the pace we have. We can keep the ball, I hope, as shown vs Dublin when they tried to press us high.

A lot of talk about the Tyrone defensive shape but I think the winning of the game will be how well we have our house in order.

We have more long range point scorers if they all go well on their day.

Tyrone will bring an unreal intensity and let's hope we can match that.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 26/10/2020 11:23:55    2301541

Link

I wouldn't get carried away with Tyrone yesterday.

Mayo were below par and coughed up 2 very soft goals to Mc Kenna - you would be disappointed in your keeper with both efforts.

If we keep Tyrone out on goals - we will defo out point them 100% as we have much superior firepower and long range kicking talents.

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 26/10/2020 12:45:07    2301577

Link

It's championship week but you wudnt know it. Will really miss not getting to the match on Sunday. Donegal v Tyrone always brings an electric atmosphere to ballybofey, streets and pubs packed . The anticipation of the game to come . Donegal people in general would respect Tyrone football but if I'm being honest especially among the fans there's no other county you would want to beat more than Tyrone. We all know it's going to be tough to get a win on Sunday we need to match there intensity full stop. The match ups will be interesting I would hazard a guess Mc gee on Mc kenna if he plays inside but if he roams I would imagine eoin ban, hopefully to put him on the back foot. Mc gee will have to be disciplined but this man loves a challenge. Who Mc menamin picks up will be interesting will he go on Canavan. Be interesting to see who Tyrone put on Murphy. Mc Hugh and Jamie if all fit to play. The Mc brearty factor could be crucial very little word about his fitness, the whole of Donegal will be hoping that's he's fit to go. Anyway roll on Sunday we might not be there but we're all behind yous.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 26/10/2020 12:52:37    2301581

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Tyrone weren't as bad as people were making out last weekend, and they played very well today down in Mayo to secure their Div 1 status.

They looked a lot more dangerous today with Harte and Cannavan inside, and McKenna was superb. Mattie Donnelly was a lot more influential today as well. So they'll certainly bring a lot to the table next weekend.

That said, Mayo cut through them easily a few times in the first half with hard running from deep. I'd be confident our lads can get at them in a similar way, and hopefully we'll be more calm and clinical when the chances present themselves.

All set up for a cracker! Do or die stuff. We need to hit them hard and early and keep the foot on the throat."
Hi Lockjaw:. You've identified the key men there.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 26/10/2020 13:15:48    2301589

Link

Going to be an interesting tactical battle. If we cast our minds back to last years championship meeting, Tyrone were trying to play a more expansive game in the league but reverted to their more defensive strategy after the Donegal game. Yesterday they certainly looked to play more expansive and it paid off. Agree with Eunans that 2 of the goals were soft enough. Plus Patton on another level to Clarke in terms of his knockouts. However Patton's kickouts in the 2 league games were not always on point but need to be next weekend that is for sure. I actually felt Mayo should have gotten at least a draw yesterday but were very wasteful in the final 10 minutes giving up cheap possession giving Tyrone the opportunity to hit on the break.

In terms of next week i cannot see Tyrone going too expansive as I think it plays into Donegal's hands. However going ultra defensive might come down to long range shooting where I think Donegal also have the upper hand. As pointed out how Donegal mind their own house could be the defining factor. If one side builds up any kind of a significant lead it is going to be very hard for the other to come back. McKenna is going to take some watching so its going to be interesting to see who gets that job. Obviously Harte and Donnelly are the two others who will get special attention. But I actually think Tyrone have more to worry about in this regard with Murphy, Ryan and Jamie Brennan. Can also add Paddy if available plus a fit Langan and Thompson gives Tyrone plenty to worry about. Anyways great that we have a championship game to discuss and hopefully one or two after.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 26/10/2020 13:36:57    2301605

Link

Three positions are key on Sunday.
1. No.6 is a problem. When Kerry ran at Daire O' Baoil they just ran past him so who do we play there?
2. Eoghan ban is better at half back but with Paddy Mc Grath looking off pace yet he'll probably have to play there meaning we lose that attacking influence he has or is there someone else to cover corner back?
3. Where does Ciaran Thompson play? He's playing very well but with the attacking threat that Tyrones half back line possess Ciaran doesn't have the pace to chase back during counter attacks.

My answer to these would be a team
1. Patton
2. Caolan Ward
3. Neil Mc Gee
4. Stephen Mc Menamin
5. Ryan Mc Hugh
6. Hugh Mc Fadden
7. Eoin Ban Gallagher
8. Jason Mc Gee
9. Michael Murphy
10. Peader Mogan
11. Niall O' Donnell
12. Michael Langan
13. Paddy Mc Brearty
14. Ciaran Thompson
15. Jamie Brennan

Murphy never stays at FF against Tyrone so we might as well line him out where he'll be. Hugh Mc Fadden will need to play a holding role at No.6 keeping back to watch Tyrones counter attack.
Ciaran Thompson can avoid the tracking back role by lining out at 14 and coming out on the loop to score from distance.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 26/10/2020 14:15:15    2301634

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Going to be an interesting tactical battle. If we cast our minds back to last years championship meeting, Tyrone were trying to play a more expansive game in the league but reverted to their more defensive strategy after the Donegal game. Yesterday they certainly looked to play more expansive and it paid off. Agree with Eunans that 2 of the goals were soft enough. Plus Patton on another level to Clarke in terms of his knockouts. However Patton's kickouts in the 2 league games were not always on point but need to be next weekend that is for sure. I actually felt Mayo should have gotten at least a draw yesterday but were very wasteful in the final 10 minutes giving up cheap possession giving Tyrone the opportunity to hit on the break.

In terms of next week i cannot see Tyrone going too expansive as I think it plays into Donegal's hands. However going ultra defensive might come down to long range shooting where I think Donegal also have the upper hand. As pointed out how Donegal mind their own house could be the defining factor. If one side builds up any kind of a significant lead it is going to be very hard for the other to come back. McKenna is going to take some watching so its going to be interesting to see who gets that job. Obviously Harte and Donnelly are the two others who will get special attention. But I actually think Tyrone have more to worry about in this regard with Murphy, Ryan and Jamie Brennan. Can also add Paddy if available plus a fit Langan and Thompson gives Tyrone plenty to worry about. Anyways great that we have a championship game to discuss and hopefully one or two after."
I think Mickys hand was forced in the first half yesterday he had a strong breeze with him in the first half so he had really to build up a lead. Next Sunday with the weather we're having could turn out the same, whoever has the breeze in the first half will have to take the initiative.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 26/10/2020 15:32:44    2301664

Link

I'm nervous of course, you always are when it's Tyrone and the full knock-out element really does heighten the tension. However this panel of players proved me wrong last year, I was very concerned about Tyrone's physicality and pace, their ability to burst through and our lads seemingly being very porous in the defence. Donegal hadn't shown me at that stage that they could deal with that, but being honest the game last year there was only one winner.

Really you could highlight a lot of the same issues this year, we seem very open at times, Tyrone's counter-attacking and pace a real real asset for them. The way Kerry walked through us occasionally last weekend would give you palpitations when you think of the pace and power Tyrone have in their middle third. McKenna gives them a different dimension as well, but I think if we are clever with possession then we have the better footballers and should win the day. But as always with Tyrone, you just never know.

The weather may yet have a big say on what happens as well, if it's a dirty ol' day it will be a test to see how much we learned from Castlebar.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 26/10/2020 16:26:01    2301688

Link

Imagine the pressure that's on McKenna n Canavan this week,

Tyrion (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 26/10/2020 20:01:19    2301754

Link

It'll be interesting to see how McKenna and Canavan go in the white heat of championship. All very well looking good in a couple of league games but let's see what happens when they have a rabid Neil McGee and Stephen McMenamin after them!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 26/10/2020 21:02:37    2301785

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Since the last match in mccumhaill Park there's been a lot of rain and the forecast for the week ahead is nothing but the same. I wonder how playable mccumhaill Park will be as a result. At the very least it's going to be very heavy and worst case miserable playing conditions."
Switch the game to Ballyshannon.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1164 - 26/10/2020 21:12:35    2301791

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "Switch the game to Ballyshannon."
Well as long as it's not Letterkenny! Omagh would be better than Letterkenny

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 26/10/2020 21:54:05    2301807

Link

Replying To Tyrion:  "Imagine the pressure that's on McKenna n Canavan this week,"
What part of Tyrone are you from anyway?

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 572 - 26/10/2020 22:15:41    2301816

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Well as long as it's not Letterkenny! Omagh would be better than Letterkenny"
Aye we should never play in Letterkenny again, Mac Cumhaill park is great with a good crowd, Ballyshannon is lucky for us but all county games should be in Ballybofey. roll on Sunday, the days are flying in, great to have county football back again even if its only for a few weeks. best medicine going.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1164 - 28/10/2020 00:33:13    2302317

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Tyrone weren't as bad as people were making out last weekend, and they played very well today down in Mayo to secure their Div 1 status.

All set up for a cracker! Do or die stuff. We need to hit them hard and early and keep the foot on the throat."
Hi Lockjaw:. Whats your match-ups with them boys you identified.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 28/10/2020 12:46:07    2302452

Link