Carlow Forum

Carlow Senior Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

When did the new rules come into effect? And what are these new rules?
On a need to know basis?

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 126 - 28/09/2020 12:42:09    2294497

Link

By default now the new rule now is ... any club with a positive C19 case is entitled to a postponement of their fixture(s). This now has to apply in natural justice. I do not have a view on the rights or otherwise of this but it must apply. You cant be treating anyone from here out any differently no matter the background.

I do have a view though, given this decision, on the injustice meted out on the minor footballers with that penalty fiasco.
Just plain wrong and unfair on both teams. Why was it not possible to replay this if the Pal match can be deferred?

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 153 - 28/09/2020 13:51:11    2294516

Link

Replying To moll:  "By default now the new rule now is ... any club with a positive C19 case is entitled to a postponement of their fixture(s). This now has to apply in natural justice. I do not have a view on the rights or otherwise of this but it must apply. You cant be treating anyone from here out any differently no matter the background.

I do have a view though, given this decision, on the injustice meted out on the minor footballers with that penalty fiasco.
Just plain wrong and unfair on both teams. Why was it not possible to replay this if the Pal match can be deferred?"
It should be replayed... I actually think Eire Og would agree... and Kilbride should also be reinstated to IFC...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 340 - 28/09/2020 15:17:43    2294545

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "It should be replayed... I actually think Eire Og would agree... and Kilbride should also be reinstated to IFC..."
Looking forward to the the Minor final replay. I missed it and heard it was a great game. By all accounts a draw was a fair result too. Great that the players will get to do it all again now.

MOH (Carlow) - Posts: 126 - 28/09/2020 15:34:00    2294551

Link

We certainly need some transparency on how these decisions are being arrived at.

Sgt.Pepper (Carlow) - Posts: 78 - 29/09/2020 05:02:49    2294674

Link

Replying To no1fan:  "So, after results this week, these would be groups next year, if the county board did the smart thing and moved to six team championships.

SFC: Eire Og, O'Hanrahans, MLR, Old Leighlin, Palatine, Rathvilly,
IFC: Bagenalstown, Ballinabranna, Eire Og 2, Fenagh, Kildavin, Tinryland,
JAFC: Clonmore, Fighting Cocks, Grange, Kilbride, Leighlinbridge, Naomh Eoin
JBFC: Ballon, Old Leighlin 2, Palatine 2, St Patricks, Rathvilly 2, Tinryland 2"
Did you forget Asca here?

I know they have gone down a couple of grades, but the work they are doing at underage level should be commended.

At the end of 2010's Asca had no underage teams. They now field at all levels and have teams in Division 1, an outstanding achievement considering the other 3 big clubs that surround them.

They have also reached out to young kids from the Green Rd School and have given kids that would normally not play GAA a club to represent.

MorleyGaelsGAA (Australia) - Posts: 6 - 01/10/2020 01:35:57    2294962

Link

Replying To MorleyGaelsGAA:  "Did you forget Asca here?

I know they have gone down a couple of grades, but the work they are doing at underage level should be commended.

At the end of 2010's Asca had no underage teams. They now field at all levels and have teams in Division 1, an outstanding achievement considering the other 3 big clubs that surround them.

They have also reached out to young kids from the Green Rd School and have given kids that would normally not play GAA a club to represent."
No, they'd be in Junior C or D, depending on whether they reached the semi or quarter final of the JBFC this year. I'm not sure if they did or not. Because I can't find their results on Carlow GAA's dreadfully poor website.

Agree it's great to see them doing well at underage. And I hope they reap the rewards. In the past they've suffered from poaching of decent juvenile players, most notably from Eire Og.

no1fan (Carlow) - Posts: 82 - 01/10/2020 16:23:24    2295093

Link

So with the postponement of the Pal-Blues game, the County final has now been pushed back until, I'm guessing Oct 18th, the day after Carlow are due to play Sligo in the league. Two weeks later their are out in the first round of the Leinster SFC on the 1st November. Carlow were due to play away to London on the 24th, but I'm fairly certain that's not going ahead.

So Carew has one game with the players before their Leinster clash with Offaly and will more than likely be down around 10 players if say Eire Og and Rathvilly get to the final. In comparison, Offaly will have two league games and their SFC will end this weekend.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 89 - 02/10/2020 10:05:25    2295210

Link

Replying To Carlowrising:  "A whole lot of self flattery and **** kissing! Not sure what it's called but it's an annoying song where every town in carlow is named and carlow people are refered to as gladiators... Surely a bit of Richie Kavanagh would be nice to take the edge off! I'm sure he wouldn't look for royalties.."
Far from ideal but CB couldn't do much more given the circumstances unless both teams agreed to a midweek quarter final which wouldn't have been fair... Just the year that's in it, better to get the club championship run off atleast as ultimately it will be a big ask for county team to get a good run in Leinster

Carlowrising (Carlow) - Posts: 25 - 02/10/2020 11:39:32    2295238

Link

Is it possible to have our county final on Sat 17th Oct and Sligo game on the Sunday. At least then some of the County players might feature in either half.
As long as they don't celebrate their victory till the Sunday night!!!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 271 - 02/10/2020 12:40:44    2295259

Link

Replying To Carlowrising:  "Far from ideal but CB couldn't do much more given the circumstances unless both teams agreed to a midweek quarter final which wouldn't have been fair... Just the year that's in it, better to get the club championship run off atleast as ultimately it will be a big ask for county team to get a good run in Leinster"
Well that was the only option once the allowed pal to continue in the championship.. thats the thing I d be more uneasy with.

Oldyellar (Carlow) - Posts: 23 - 02/10/2020 14:15:31    2295282

Link

Agree with that Old Yeller.

Sgt.Pepper (Carlow) - Posts: 78 - 03/10/2020 17:57:17    2295455

Link

Replying To no1fan:  "No, they'd be in Junior C or D, depending on whether they reached the semi or quarter final of the JBFC this year. I'm not sure if they did or not. Because I can't find their results on Carlow GAA's dreadfully poor website.

Agree it's great to see them doing well at underage. And I hope they reap the rewards. In the past they've suffered from poaching of decent juvenile players, most notably from Eire Og."
Eire Og dont have to poach juvenile players. Cop on.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 220 - 03/10/2020 19:45:58    2295474

Link

Well done to kildavin clonegal tonight thoroughly deserved win but can someone please explain to me how putting 2 arms around a player and dragging him down isn't a black card and how you can nearly decapitate a player with the most blatant red card tackle in the county grounds in 50 years and not get the line.

To say I was appalled by a lot of decisions in that game tonight is an understatement.

Fair play to kildavin and ballinabranagh hopefully be a good final and well get a decent refereeing performance.

This is not sour grapes just sick of seeing players giving everything to play for there club and not getting a fair shout in big games.

ITSCHOLAR (Carlow) - Posts: 244 - 03/10/2020 22:22:14    2295505

Link

If we go to level 5, as requested by Nphet tonight then there will be no more games at club or county level. Awful pity.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 271 - 04/10/2020 22:03:22    2295690

Link

Very enjoyable weekend of football. Junior games were probably the most enjoyable, with the Grange-Tullow game being edge of you're seat stuff till the very end. Full credit to both sides in terrible conditions to keep battling away. Grange were out on their feet at the end and it's cruel on them, given the game was their with only seconds to go in ET. Tullow have a short turnaround with the final on Friday night against Tinryland, who were very impressive in the second half against Leighlin. Good blend of youth and experience in the side and will fancy their chances.

Ballinabranna were very good against Eire Og and comfortable winners in a game EO were favourites to win. Very organised, tough to break down and comfortable on the ball. EO really struggled to break them down and in the end EO had to pump balls in as they couldn't get through them. I've seen Samson a few times play at full forward and I always wonder why he's never got a run their at county level. Very effective and probably the best in the county at what he does.

Fenagh will be ruing their first half performance against KC and is what cost them at the end. Left themselves way too much work to do in the second half, even though they were the better side for good phases of that game. KC were solid, Daniel St Ledger was excellent, alot of the good work KC did came through him. Donal Hickey made good runs up the middle and was tough to stop.

Credit to the Blues, they really put it up to Pal, but they just lack the depth in the squad at the moment. Lee Walker was a huge miss, but they can be very happy with their first year back in Senior. Thompson was always a threat and caused Pal problems every time he ran at them. Pal's ability to create goal chances make them very dangerous in the semi against Rathvilly and it will be alot closer than the game earlier in the year. The two O'Neills have made a big impact in the games since.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 89 - 05/10/2020 10:20:58    2295731

Link

Tough on the clubs going for silverware, probably next year until the football Championship wraps up.

I don't agree with the decision, could have just banned spectators and let the games be played. But hard to argue with some of the scenes around the country over the past few weeks.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 89 - 05/10/2020 13:57:48    2295809

Link

I see a number of counties have pushed out Championship completions until February March next year. Any idea what's happening in Carlow

Carlowtothecore1 (Carlow) - Posts: 7 - 24/10/2020 12:39:04    2300721

Link

We should have beaten pal, a few dodge decisions cost us we were the better team

1919 (Carlow) - Posts: 11 - 26/10/2020 17:58:25    2301722

Link