Longford Forum

Local Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

On the whole I don't have a problem with the mid-week semi-finals, given the circumstances. Trying to get these games and competitions run off fast now is a good move. We are heading for more restrictions very soon, and I reckon many are underestimating the potential for games to be shut down completely. So if you wait too long, competitions might have to be abandoned altogether. So I agree with the urgency we see in the fixtures, but it does have potential for a triple whammy for Mostrim which is a bit crap, but the broader circumstance is far from ideal too.

On the Clonbroney clarifications, the credit goes to whoever listed all the different Minor amalgamations at the bottom of the Research tab in the Club Honours screen of the Longford website. I'd be completely lost on who was who in the past if it was not for that list. God bless nerds.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 01/10/2020 10:32:00    2294998

Link

dont see why the football semis couldnt be played the weekend after next then the county final the next weekend. play hurling this weekend or the weekend after the football final. clubs are always getting shafted it, especially our hurlers, no wonder the game is dying here and in other so called football counties. circumstances are obviously terrible but sacrifices shouldnt always be going one way!!

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 01/10/2020 11:09:10    2295011

Link

Replying To Longfordgaamad:  "
Replying To arcadia:  "[quote=slasher9:  "[quote=arcadia:  "According to the latest fixtures on the Longford site...

- Hurling final is Sunday 4th October (Will be streamed).
- Senior Football Semi-finals on Tuesday night 6th October (Both Streamed).
- Intermediate Final is Saturday 10th October (Will be streamed).
- Senior Football Final is Sunday 11th October (Will be live on TG4)"
edgeworthtown are down to play this sunday in hurling then football two days later and then should they win against killoe a football final on the following sunday??? this is crazy stuff. why is our county board cramming everything into a week here what is wrong with using next week as well. longford are playing derry and we have an outside chance of promotion but i think the clubs deserve better then this. our clubs should come first and foremost"
Hard to understand the hurry on the hurling final. Surely that could come after the Senior is played. Not ideal for the two teams to have to sit around, but these are not ordinary times and it seems to make more sense to just leave that one until Slashers and Mostrim both have sufficient time to finish senior championship action (at whatever stage) and play it a week or more after that."]If Mostrim had to play the football QF when it was first fixed mid week they would of had more time. The fact that games are crammed is partly Mostrims fault, and as a result they have to play a semi final mid week. Hurling final should of been played on the 20th only it was moved because of the football QF. If it was left until after the football as u suggest there would be criticism for always putting football ahead of Hurling. There is no perfect calendar or time line because of the current covid situation in the world. People should except that and be lucky to be able to play at all. It could all be stopped very quickly like last week but hopefully not."]Well said. Mostrim (supported by their hurlers) caused the hurling final to be moved, then their hurlers refused to play midweek under lights. My understanding is that the game/championship was going to be awarded to Slashers but Slashers offered to play in a refixture this weekend as there were no football fixtures clashing. Perhaps the hurling final could've been played this Saturday instead of Sunday to aid the dual players but Slashers are also playing senior football semifinal on Tuesday & junior on Wednesday.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 3869 - 02/10/2020 00:02:20    2295183

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "dont see why the football semis couldnt be played the weekend after next then the county final the next weekend. play hurling this weekend or the weekend after the football final. clubs are always getting shafted it, especially our hurlers, no wonder the game is dying here and in other so called football counties. circumstances are obviously terrible but sacrifices shouldnt always be going one way!!"
Semis and final could not of been pushed back anymore as the county football starts back on the 17th. and i think a week or so later the county hurlers are back. maybe look at the over picture and you may understand. If mostrims first footbalk QF date and the first hurling final dates were played there would be none of this problem.

Longfordgaamad (Longford) - Posts: 4 - 02/10/2020 08:49:02    2295200

Link

Replying To Longfordgaamad:  "Semis and final could not of been pushed back anymore as the county football starts back on the 17th. and i think a week or so later the county hurlers are back. maybe look at the over picture and you may understand. If mostrims first footbalk QF date and the first hurling final dates were played there would be none of this problem."
Indeed. Longford plays Derry in the League on Saturday 17th October, then Cork on Sunday 25th October, then Louth in Leinster Championship on Sunday 1st November. In hurling, Longford plays Donegal in Nickey Rackard Cup on Saturday 24th October. So realistically we reached the end of the road on how far the club finals can be stretched out, and cases are going up everywhere so playing a long game risks losing competitions entirely. Everything has to be done this weekend and next weekend to allow sufficient rest before county action resumes. I don't think there are any better alternatives to the dates proposed right now. Mostrim and Slashers both got whammied because they had players in the Minor, Senior and Hurling teams who ended up being in the business end of all of those competitions and fair play to them for sucking that up. It is a great problem to have in good times, but in Covid year it gets filed under 'It is what it is'. Lets get these competitions played before the shutters come down entirely.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 02/10/2020 11:52:59    2295242

Link

Replying To Longfordgaamad:  "Semis and final could not of been pushed back anymore as the county football starts back on the 17th. and i think a week or so later the county hurlers are back. maybe look at the over picture and you may understand. If mostrims first footbalk QF date and the first hurling final dates were played there would be none of this problem."
it a meaningless league game, in a covid riddled derry too i might add, who wants to go up there and bring god knows what back. county could play that match without players from the finalists whats the big deal, this kind of situation wouldnt happen if it was other way round. thats my point. club players, and our hurlers especially always getting shafted. this season was supposed to end up being all about the club. look at the entertainment all the club finals have brought to us around the country and we end up treating our own like this. its what we have a panel for plus we have added robbie smith and barry mckeon back to the panel. out of order to blame mostrim for this. blame lies with our incompitent county board who taught it a good idea to ban killoe for a year!!

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 02/10/2020 12:19:06    2295250

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "it a meaningless league game, in a covid riddled derry too i might add, who wants to go up there and bring god knows what back. county could play that match without players from the finalists whats the big deal, this kind of situation wouldnt happen if it was other way round. thats my point. club players, and our hurlers especially always getting shafted. this season was supposed to end up being all about the club. look at the entertainment all the club finals have brought to us around the country and we end up treating our own like this. its what we have a panel for plus we have added robbie smith and barry mckeon back to the panel. out of order to blame mostrim for this. blame lies with our incompitent county board who taught it a good idea to ban killoe for a year!!"
County board did not ban Killoe, it was the Hearings Committee that tied up in a neat bundle for the CCC to issue the suspension. There are more competent members than not on the executive and many supported Emmet Óg behind the scenes, but you must remember that it is the clubs that put them there. Either by nomination or supporting them in a vote.

Therein2010 (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 02/10/2020 14:20:49    2295285

Link

There is a stark reality in the Hurling vs Football fixtures debate in Longford. The 2020 Senior Football Championship consists of 19 games, 12 teams and approx 300+ participants. The 2020 Hurling Championship consists of 3 games, 3 clubs and approx 75+ participants. They are not equal in terms of level of organisation or complexity to run, not by a long shot. The football championship is surely a significantly more complex competition to run and has significantly less room for changes, especially when you are dealing with left field delays and impacts from Covid and other things. It would be great so see more promotion and investment in hurling, but for most of my lifetime we have only had 3 clubs, so if there is a big push going on by whomever is in charge of hurling in the county, I can't see any evidence of it.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 02/10/2020 17:02:25    2295336

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "There is a stark reality in the Hurling vs Football fixtures debate in Longford. The 2020 Senior Football Championship consists of 19 games, 12 teams and approx 300+ participants. The 2020 Hurling Championship consists of 3 games, 3 clubs and approx 75+ participants. They are not equal in terms of level of organisation or complexity to run, not by a long shot. The football championship is surely a significantly more complex competition to run and has significantly less room for changes, especially when you are dealing with left field delays and impacts from Covid and other things. It would be great so see more promotion and investment in hurling, but for most of my lifetime we have only had 3 clubs, so if there is a big push going on by whomever is in charge of hurling in the county, I can't see any evidence of it."
The 2 panels for the Final draw players from 11 Clubs. Along with Slashers and Mostrim, players from Grattan's, St Columba's Mullinalaghta, Rathcline, Killoe, St Brigids Killashee, Ballymore, Sean Connollys, Carrickedmond and Abbeylara all appear on the programme

Therein2010 (Longford) - Posts: 13 - 03/10/2020 07:35:13    2295403

Link

Replying To Therein2010:  "The 2 panels for the Final draw players from 11 Clubs. Along with Slashers and Mostrim, players from Grattan's, St Columba's Mullinalaghta, Rathcline, Killoe, St Brigids Killashee, Ballymore, Sean Connollys, Carrickedmond and Abbeylara all appear on the programme"
That underscores the point. Only 3 teams and 70+ players can be raised across 11 different clubs in the county. If work is going on at foundation level to try to increase the playing of Hurling in the county, shouldn't there be more teams participating at U12 or U14 level by now? Yet still the same 3 hurling teams (regardless of where they get players from) across every competition from U12 to Senior and has been for a long time now (to their credit, it is not their fault that nobody else has come on the scene). Growth in hurling comes from schools and underage system up, and won't radically change radically (or at all) based on whether the county final is played on a weekday or weekend. If folks want parity in fixtures and more balance in decisions between hurling and football, we need to change the balance of power and that comes with having more teams and a larger competition. It is hard to understand why that has not happened at the U12/U14 level at the very least by this stage. A new approach is clearly needed.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 03/10/2020 16:11:12    2295446

Link

I would guess at the direction the country is moving at the moment, football may end rather abruptly this week. It would be a pity, as it could be prevented if more played their part in civilization. If the games go ahead on Tuesday, I would predict a Mullinalaghta win handy enough, and a very tight game in the other one, with Killoe just having enough if they have all players available.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 04/10/2020 22:36:48    2295699

Link

great win yesterday for edgeworthstown, 7 in 8 years is great going. hard to keep a team together no matter the level.
expect two handy wins for killoe and mullinalaghta tomorrow night IF they even go ahead. They probably will but id say a county final at the weekend is in serious doubt right now. may as well call off the inter county at this stage, what a waste of time for the players. there is not a hope of it going ahead. club was grand as you were keeping everything inside the county but intercounty travelling the lenght and breadth of the country, madness.

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 05/10/2020 10:18:25    2295730

Link

Well that's all folks. I guess we can reconvene here at Christmas and see where we get to. They should have gone to 'behind closed doors' rather than shutting it down completely.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 05/10/2020 13:58:49    2295810

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Well that's all folks. I guess we can reconvene here at Christmas and see where we get to. They should have gone to 'behind closed doors' rather than shutting it down completely."
They shouldn't have gone to Clare anyway.

jack99 (Dublin) - Posts: 16 - 05/10/2020 14:12:02    2295817

Link

Replying To jack99:  "They shouldn't have gone to Clare anyway."
They shouldn't have wasted weeks with an illegitimate ban.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 05/10/2020 14:56:10    2295828

Link

lots of things done wrong by individuals all over the place. feel terribly for the 6 panels of players who have been training away non stop either by themselves during lockdown or as a team before and after. a line will surely be drawn under this season now. can anyone see it coming back in a month or 6 weeks time to be completed? i cant. another unfinished competition like the leader cup 2018

slasher9 (Longford) - Posts: 31 - 05/10/2020 15:25:50    2295837

Link

Thanks Killoe.

Nelson39 (Longford) - Posts: 33 - 05/10/2020 16:56:44    2295868

Link

Replying To Nelson39:  "Thanks Killoe."
Not sure what for, but you're welcome.

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 76 - 05/10/2020 21:28:55    2295933

Link

Replying To Nelson39:  "Thanks Killoe."
Thanks CCCC committee member with axe to grind

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 06/10/2020 12:11:24    2296034

Link

Replying To slasher9:  "lots of things done wrong by individuals all over the place. feel terribly for the 6 panels of players who have been training away non stop either by themselves during lockdown or as a team before and after. a line will surely be drawn under this season now. can anyone see it coming back in a month or 6 weeks time to be completed? i cant. another unfinished competition like the leader cup 2018"
Tend to agree that the season may be done. I think this one has gotten away from them as cases will not reduce the further we get into the Autumn and Winter. The intercounty season will probably go the same way. It was the height of optimism to assume a Winter championship would happen in a pandemic year. Done and dusted i'd say.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 163 - 06/10/2020 12:15:14    2296036

Link