Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Is the match on TV/Online this weekend?"
Yea it's on but eir sport have it.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 21/10/2020 15:55:16    2299988

Link

Hiya, what's the feeling in Donegal ' would ye rather Bonner go hell for leather in Tralee and maintain momentum or keep things fresh and injury free for Tyrone the following weekend.

There's compelling arguments for both..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5000 - 21/10/2020 23:28:32    2300112

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Hiya, what's the feeling in Donegal ' would ye rather Bonner go hell for leather in Tralee and maintain momentum or keep things fresh and injury free for Tyrone the following weekend.

There's compelling arguments for both.."
Sorry horsebox, there is absolute 0 compelling argument for a 16hr round drive and going hell for leather in a dead rubber match a week out from a knock out Ulster Championship match at home to Tyrone.

Kerry might relish a challenge as they wont get one before a December All Ireland Semi... but we wont be the fools offering it!

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 22/10/2020 09:42:13    2300138

Link

Donegal team for Kerry game:

Andy Mc Govern

Packie Mc Dyre, Aaron Kyles, Shane Mc Clean,

Cathal Ellis, Karl Lacey, Paul Fisher,

Paul Mc Gonagle, Shaun Mc Glynn

Kieran Espey, Gary Boyle, Declan Bushell

Kevin Moran, Declan Bonner, Stephen Rochford.

2 man full forward line with Moran tracking and tracing

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 22/10/2020 10:10:58    2300146

Link

We won't be going hell for leather but I'd still expect a decent side out. There's lads who need the minutes without a doubt.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1161 - 22/10/2020 11:23:11    2300167

Link

It is not a great situation that Donegal find themselves in.The whole logistics of the situation is not ideal preparation for the big game against Tyrone.There is also the question on how to approach the game itself regarding intensity and what team to put out.The Tyrone v Mayo game is more straight forward in that both teams will be all out to avoid relegation.If Tyrone come out of a hard game without injuries I would be worried that they might go in to the big game with a bit of an advantage.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 22/10/2020 11:44:27    2300173

Link

Replying To gunman:  "It is not a great situation that Donegal find themselves in.The whole logistics of the situation is not ideal preparation for the big game against Tyrone.There is also the question on how to approach the game itself regarding intensity and what team to put out.The Tyrone v Mayo game is more straight forward in that both teams will be all out to avoid relegation.If Tyrone come out of a hard game without injuries I would be worried that they might go in to the big game with a bit of an advantage."
Tyrone are going to come to Ballybofey beaten (relegated) in 2 games back to back. Confidence is one of the hardest things to replicate and they are against the wall in that regard.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 22/10/2020 14:10:20    2300225

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Donegal team for Kerry game:

Andy Mc Govern

2 man full forward line with Moran tracking and tracing"
Very good!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 22/10/2020 15:10:57    2300247

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Tyrone are going to come to Ballybofey beaten (relegated) in 2 games back to back. Confidence is one of the hardest things to replicate and they are against the wall in that regard."
Yes going by the two games I saw last Sunday I would have to fancy Mayo to do the business, especially at home. They have been in Division 1 a long time and won't want to drop down. Not ideal preparation for Tyrone and their hopes of beating us in Ballbofey a week later. But then there's that old saying "beware the sting of a dying wasp!"

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 22/10/2020 15:33:24    2300254

Link

Andy Mc Govern

Good stuff, this made me laugh.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 22/10/2020 16:27:58    2300278

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Sorry horsebox, there is absolute 0 compelling argument for a 16hr round drive and going hell for leather in a dead rubber match a week out from a knock out Ulster Championship match at home to Tyrone.

Kerry might relish a challenge as they wont get one before a December All Ireland Semi... but we wont be the fools offering it!"
16 hrs ?

Are u cycling down ?

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 22/10/2020 19:17:40    2300336

Link

Andy Mc Govern

Full back directing traffic

peiledoir20 (Donegal) - Posts: 43 - 22/10/2020 20:40:09    2300357

Link

I would think it's hard to beat momentum. Great win last weekend v Tyrone and the team will be on a high. To go to Kerry and field a weakened team could break that momentum. Players can get injured just as easy in training and with Tyrone having to be at full tilt for their game I think we should go all out to win it v Kerry giving a few players like Mc Grath, J Mc Gee and O Baoil a full game. If we win then great and if not then we have kept the intensity up for the Tyrone game.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 22/10/2020 22:50:29    2300393

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "I would think it's hard to beat momentum. Great win last weekend v Tyrone and the team will be on a high. To go to Kerry and field a weakened team could break that momentum. Players can get injured just as easy in training and with Tyrone having to be at full tilt for their game I think we should go all out to win it v Kerry giving a few players like Mc Grath, J Mc Gee and O Baoil a full game. If we win then great and if not then we have kept the intensity up for the Tyrone game."
Yea it's a tough one. People saying rest players others saying go full steam. I think what they will do is probably rest Murphy . Ryan Mc Hugh and maybe one or two more but go with a strong team. Players like daire o baoill . Jason Mc gee and probably Michael langan plus paddy Mc grath need game time so they need minutes so I definitely think management will rest 3 or 4 players. I think if Tyrone were in our position they definitely would rest players. Anyway safe travelling to all the team. Some word there all driving down today.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 880 - 23/10/2020 11:27:47    2300449

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Yea it's a tough one. People saying rest players others saying go full steam. I think what they will do is probably rest Murphy . Ryan Mc Hugh and maybe one or two more but go with a strong team. Players like daire o baoill . Jason Mc gee and probably Michael langan plus paddy Mc grath need game time so they need minutes so I definitely think management will rest 3 or 4 players. I think if Tyrone were in our position they definitely would rest players. Anyway safe travelling to all the team. Some word there all driving down today."
Yes, I believe the team and management are all driving individually today and staying. It's a long aul drive and definitely safe journey to them all.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 23/10/2020 12:41:52    2300475

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Yes, I believe the team and management are all driving individually today and staying. It's a long aul drive and definitely safe journey to them all."
No sign of Murphy, McHugh, McGee, Eoin Ban or McBrearty on match programme. Sensible enough to not risk them week before championship. Langan and Jason McGee named to start.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - Posts: 396 - 24/10/2020 12:22:42    2300718

Link

Well we went very experimental in the end up and the result showed that. Thought Ciaran Thompson was very good with decent showings from Jason Mc Gee, Mc Clean, Mc Menamin and Langan at times. What will worry Bonner in the performance of the defence. Stephen Mc Menamin held Clifford to 1 from play and then after Mc Menamin went off Clifford ran riot. Mc Menamin apart, I though the rest of the defence looked very poor. Paddy Mc Grath certainly looks like a player that needs 3 or 4 games to get back to the required level. Daire O' Baoil was ok going forward but poor defensively. Eamon Doherty in my opinion isn't or never was at the required level.
It was a massive ask for this team to get a result in Kerry and to be honest I couldn't care less as long as we beat Tyrone next week. It's all about the championship!

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 24/10/2020 15:52:04    2300768

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "Well we went very experimental in the end up and the result showed that. Thought Ciaran Thompson was very good with decent showings from Jason Mc Gee, Mc Clean, Mc Menamin and Langan at times. What will worry Bonner in the performance of the defence. Stephen Mc Menamin held Clifford to 1 from play and then after Mc Menamin went off Clifford ran riot. Mc Menamin apart, I though the rest of the defence looked very poor. Paddy Mc Grath certainly looks like a player that needs 3 or 4 games to get back to the required level. Daire O' Baoil was ok going forward but poor defensively. Eamon Doherty in my opinion isn't or never was at the required level.
It was a massive ask for this team to get a result in Kerry and to be honest I couldn't care less as long as we beat Tyrone next week. It's all about the championship!"
Thought we did ok initially in the first quarter keeping possession well and kicking a few nice points. But once Kerry upped the intensity we were all over the place. Doherty completely lost Sean O'Sullivan for the first goal and then we criminally allowed Gavin White run straight through the middle of us for the second. It was game over effectively after that with Kerry having the wind advantage second half.

Ciaran Thompson played very well. His point in the second half was superb, totally bamboozling two Kerry defenders before firing it over the bar. We'll need more of that from him next Sunday. I thought McMenamin had another great game on David Clifford. It was only after he went off that Clifford started to enjoy some space and he scored a few nice points.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 24/10/2020 17:07:22    2300829

Link

Replying To Tir Conaill Abu:  "Well we went very experimental in the end up and the result showed that. Thought Ciaran Thompson was very good with decent showings from Jason Mc Gee, Mc Clean, Mc Menamin and Langan at times. What will worry Bonner in the performance of the defence. Stephen Mc Menamin held Clifford to 1 from play and then after Mc Menamin went off Clifford ran riot. Mc Menamin apart, I though the rest of the defence looked very poor. Paddy Mc Grath certainly looks like a player that needs 3 or 4 games to get back to the required level. Daire O' Baoil was ok going forward but poor defensively. Eamon Doherty in my opinion isn't or never was at the required level.
It was a massive ask for this team to get a result in Kerry and to be honest I couldn't care less as long as we beat Tyrone next week. It's all about the championship!"
Hard to disagree with nearly all of these points. And management are clearly focusing on next week and more or less just fulfilling the fixture.

I would imagine Clifford's second half performance was always going to improve, with the wind advantage and his kicking range, though mcmenamin was decent against him. Brosnan ran amuck though. Mcgrath struggled with him but no doubt the game will bring him on though I can't see mcgrath starting next week. Although he'd not played a huge amount for the county you'd feel conor morrison is a definite loss as he looked very good in the club championship before he got hurt. He'd also bulked himself up. Mc fadden-ferry being on army duty is a big loss as well. Imagine this time last year thinking you'd miss championship being on army duty through the winter months.

Good to see jason mcgee get more minutes in the legs. It's been along road for him and think that's the best he's looked since his return. Also good to get a game into langan, his ankle seemed at him at the start though got through it and the game should bring him on too.

Without neil mcgee, mcfadden, murphy and mcbrearty donegal were lacking physically and that's something that is a bit frustrating. You can see extra power in gavin white (2 hops aside) and a few of the other kerry lads and you would like to see that power in some of the donegal players today. They struggled in the second half to get the ball out of the defence and that reminded me of mayo last year. Mcmenamin does look to have got stronger though realistically if some of the other fringe players want to break through then they need to bulk up and add power.

And finally safe trip back to the team, it's a long aul journey that is certainly not ideal in the current circumstances and hopefully they'll all be fit and well for next week.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 24/10/2020 18:19:19    2300879

Link

Not a great performance but given the long journey and missing a few key men, not the end of the world. Ciaran Thompson had a great game and is really playing well, going to be a key man next week. Stephen McMenamin had another superb game, Clifford ran riot when he went off. Langan and Jason McGee had good games.

The biggest negative was the form of Paddy McGrath. He would be a shoe-in to start next week under normal circumstances. Looks like the long lay off from his cruciate knee injury has taken its toll and he isnt as sharp as normal. Looks like Bonner will have to pick Ban in the full back line alongside McMenamin and Neil McGee. The loss of McFadden-Ferry is not ideal either.

Did any of the fringe players put their hand up for a starting spot next week? I dont think so.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 24/10/2020 18:38:38    2300891

Link