Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Donegal007:  "What's the story with Ethan O'Donnell really thought that after the club campaign he had would make a big addition and suit our style of play"
A Donegal mystery ,only Declan know,s that answer ,

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 03/03/2020 16:24:52    2272000

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "A Donegal mystery ,only Declan know,s that answer ,"
Hope he is still involved and reckon he probably is. Could still be a player come championship time. Especially if he shows form during training come championship time. Jaysus when you think about it some embarrassment of riches.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2519 - 03/03/2020 18:17:26    2272027

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Hope he is still involved and reckon he probably is. Could still be a player come championship time. Especially if he shows form during training come championship time. Jaysus when you think about it some embarrassment of riches."
That is the problem ,a nice problem to have ,and the u20s sat ,we should do well this year finger,s crossed ,hopefully a good start come sat evening .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 03/03/2020 20:55:39    2272066

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "I'm wondering if our low concession rate is more to do with how much possession we have rather than out and out good defending. I haven't seen the stats, but would think out possession % would be very high. We're going very well on kickouts generally"
Possession is the best form of defence!!! When you have the ball the opposition can't score.
There is loads of merit in that logic. If Patton gives us close to a 100% possession and you get some joy on the opposition then you're on the right track straight away. When you get to a position of being a 6/7 points up like Sunday and the opposition still are being quite defensive then there is not much incentive to keep attacking all out. Think Donegal managed that well on Sunday. They held on to the ball until they had a guaranteed score. Monaghan were no threat when they didn't have the ball so you are kind of winning on the double. In saying that Neil McGee for example had a great game on Sunday.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 381 - 03/03/2020 21:42:53    2272075

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Possession is the best form of defence!!! When you have the ball the opposition can't score.
There is loads of merit in that logic. If Patton gives us close to a 100% possession and you get some joy on the opposition then you're on the right track straight away. When you get to a position of being a 6/7 points up like Sunday and the opposition still are being quite defensive then there is not much incentive to keep attacking all out. Think Donegal managed that well on Sunday. They held on to the ball until they had a guaranteed score. Monaghan were no threat when they didn't have the ball so you are kind of winning on the double. In saying that Neil McGee for example had a great game on Sunday."
Agree with all of this. McGee had a great game. Still worried that we don't have enough of the aggro that Neil brings and his brother used to bring. Just out and out divilment. Hopefully Paddy McGrath recovers well. We could do with his experience around the place even if he might not be a starter

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 251 - 04/03/2020 10:16:58    2272127

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Agree with all of this. McGee had a great game. Still worried that we don't have enough of the aggro that Neil brings and his brother used to bring. Just out and out divilment. Hopefully Paddy McGrath recovers well. We could do with his experience around the place even if he might not be a starter"
Ha Neil is not lacking there that's for sure. I remember the county semi final against Kilcar this year, he got a hand to a ball in front of McBrearty early on but it went out over the sideline. Neil booted the ball away anyway away up into the stand just in case there was the slight possibility of a quick sideline ball being taken. Small things I know but can make a difference.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 04/03/2020 11:55:24    2272153

Link

Anybody read Aiden o Rourke column on rte.ie..? If not check it out. He's very complementary about how Donegal is developing into a potent force...just wish Ordhan was on the panel and the team would be even more potent.

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 109 - 04/03/2020 16:09:58    2272210

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Agree with all of this. McGee had a great game. Still worried that we don't have enough of the aggro that Neil brings and his brother used to bring. Just out and out divilment. Hopefully Paddy McGrath recovers well. We could do with his experience around the place even if he might not be a starter"
Totally agree even good defence needs two or three Neil Mc gees. Ruthless players who play on the edge. Stephen Mc menamamin has it too. to win anything you need this type of player. I loved watching Neil and eamon in there prime they scared many a good forward.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 945 - 04/03/2020 16:54:16    2272219

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Totally agree even good defence needs two or three Neil Mc gees. Ruthless players who play on the edge. Stephen Mc menamamin has it too. to win anything you need this type of player. I loved watching Neil and eamon in there prime they scared many a good forward."
Yep, look at Dublin with John Small & Philly McMahon, Johnny Cooper too.

Kerry could probably do with a couple of boyos like that as well.

I think if we get McMenamin and McGrath back fully fit, and if Neil can avoid the wee niggles that have curbed his involvement we're not too bad. CHB probably still an issue. The hope would be that Gillespie can recover and get a good injury free run at it.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 05/03/2020 11:28:05    2272317

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yep, look at Dublin with John Small & Philly McMahon, Johnny Cooper too.

Kerry could probably do with a couple of boyos like that as well.

I think if we get McMenamin and McGrath back fully fit, and if Neil can avoid the wee niggles that have curbed his involvement we're not too bad. CHB probably still an issue. The hope would be that Gillespie can recover and get a good injury free run at it."
Who is going to be dropped to get all these tough boys back in the team.We are playing well in defence this year.The way football is going now a lot of the scoring chances present to defenders coming forward.The modern defender needs to be able to take a score as well as defend.The boys you mention will not score very much.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 730 - 05/03/2020 12:32:53    2272329

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Who is going to be dropped to get all these tough boys back in the team.We are playing well in defence this year.The way football is going now a lot of the scoring chances present to defenders coming forward.The modern defender needs to be able to take a score as well as defend.The boys you mention will not score very much."
Agreed. It's a horses for courses scenario I feel. Certain games will suit players better than others. e.g. against the likes of Kerry you'd want really aggressive man markers to handle the likes of Clifford, Geaney and Sean O'Shea. But against teams that like to sit back, e.g. Tyrone you'd want lads that are comfortable breaking the lines and taking points given that the inside forwards will likely have less space to operate in.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 05/03/2020 13:10:07    2272337

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Who is going to be dropped to get all these tough boys back in the team.We are playing well in defence this year.The way football is going now a lot of the scoring chances present to defenders coming forward.The modern defender needs to be able to take a score as well as defend.The boys you mention will not score very much."
Its not a case of getting new players, more getting a bit more dog into the lads that are there to compliment the football ability they have. Defending has a lot to do with attitude.

There was a former Armagh player on the Colm Parkinson podcast a few weeks ago talking about how Donegal defenders could be bullied in the 00's, but that all changed when McGuinness came in . He mentioned the McGee's were always tough, but players like Lacey and McGlynn really toughened up.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 251 - 05/03/2020 14:30:45    2272356

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Its not a case of getting new players, more getting a bit more dog into the lads that are there to compliment the football ability they have. Defending has a lot to do with attitude.

There was a former Armagh player on the Colm Parkinson podcast a few weeks ago talking about how Donegal defenders could be bullied in the 00's, but that all changed when McGuinness came in . He mentioned the McGee's were always tough, but players like Lacey and McGlynn really toughened up."
Yes under Jim McGuinness, Donegal gained a real hard edge, we could literally go toe to toe with anybody in the Country in terms of physicality and grit. There was a feeling that every detail was under control, and the opposition knew this and particularly in Ulster, opposing teams knew it would be a hard day at the office ahead of them.

It's important that Donegal management understand the need for this, defenders need to have more bite, be physical and hard edged. I think in terms of raw ability and potential, this is possibly the best Donegal side ever, add a bit more grit and they could be winning a few All ireland titles.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 06/03/2020 10:38:55    2272456

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Yes under Jim McGuinness, Donegal gained a real hard edge, we could literally go toe to toe with anybody in the Country in terms of physicality and grit. There was a feeling that every detail was under control, and the opposition knew this and particularly in Ulster, opposing teams knew it would be a hard day at the office ahead of them.

It's important that Donegal management understand the need for this, defenders need to have more bite, be physical and hard edged. I think in terms of raw ability and potential, this is possibly the best Donegal side ever, add a bit more grit and they could be winning a few All ireland titles."
Think the key will be developing that hard edge pronto while we still have Murphy.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 06/03/2020 11:43:13    2272470

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Think the key will be developing that hard edge pronto while we still have Murphy."
I agree, while developing this new batch, time is running out for Murphy, McGee, McGrath etc, and we clearly still need these men.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 06/03/2020 13:39:30    2272497

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Anybody read Aiden o Rourke column on rte.ie..? If not check it out. He's very complementary about how Donegal is developing into a potent force...just wish Ordhan was on the panel and the team would be even more potent."
You're right it was an excellent read and nice to see some level analysis of what is being done with the squad. You never want to read too much into the league but I have been encouraged by the majority of performances and I think the experiences will stand to us in the summer.

It'd be nice to beat Tyrone next week without giving too much away and then have a free shot at Kerry in Tralee. On Kerry I see Donie Buckley has left the setup, bit of a surprise surely I wonder what impact that will have on them.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1167 - 07/03/2020 12:33:53    2272591

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "You're right it was an excellent read and nice to see some level analysis of what is being done with the squad. You never want to read too much into the league but I have been encouraged by the majority of performances and I think the experiences will stand to us in the summer.

It'd be nice to beat Tyrone next week without giving too much away and then have a free shot at Kerry in Tralee. On Kerry I see Donie Buckley has left the setup, bit of a surprise surely I wonder what impact that will have on them."
A few different commentators from down south have mentioned the amount of talent we have in our squad.

Ciaran Whelan has mentioned the number of special new talents Donegal have, as had Tomas O'Se and Colm O'Rourke and others in conversations. What stands out for me, is amount of big pacey players we have with outstanding footballing ability, there is huge potential in this side.

While our underage sides are usually competitive now, its our ability to regularly produce a few outstanding players at each grade that gives us a strong hand at senior level. The core of this current side is made up of players aged 24 or younger, and they are continuously getting stronger.

I thought the Sunday Game analysis by Sean Cavanagh and Oisin McConville was purposely lazy, about our poor record against Top 6 teams in 2018 - 2020, they ignored facts such as being in Division 2 and who we played in the Super 8's each year. It also ignored that we are a growing force, the bulk of our team made their debuts in 2017 - 2019 and have already won McKenna Cup, Division 2 league and 2 x Ulster Championships.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 548 - 14/03/2020 14:13:32    2273800

Link

I know it's down on the list of priorities at the minute but if you can at all, Michael Murphy's shop is doing a great sale offer at the minute online. Hopefully the admin will let this through. I am in no way affiliated with the shop. Just it would help a local business in times of need. Plus, if your local club is signed up for the points scheme you can donate points to them which can then be used by the club in future purchases.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7301 - 19/03/2020 12:48:51    2274089

Link

Folks my fear is that the entire County Season for 2020 will be null and void and to retain some resemblance of structure to the calendar, and football for all- the best thing to do would just be kick off the Club championship in September/October as normal and just accept the County season is gone for 2020.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 20/03/2020 11:02:31    2274146

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Folks my fear is that the entire County Season for 2020 will be null and void and to retain some resemblance of structure to the calendar, and football for all- the best thing to do would just be kick off the Club championship in September/October as normal and just accept the County season is gone for 2020."
We r not defending Dr Maguire untill next year ,we have a war to fight against this Virus ,which some say will bring us up to next spring ,Everyone stay safe and social distancing ,until then look after each other especially the most vunerable.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 22/03/2020 14:11:15    2274299

Link