Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "The league is for blooding players, that's what keane did. The only reason that Kerry lost to Cork last year was because Keane listened to everyone skinning him about conceding three goals vs cork the year before and three goals in the league final, so he set up defensively.... Kerry can't do defense, and it cost them"
Well I sincerely hope OK learned his lesson. I've no problem with one extra defender or a 3rd midfielder but that's it. No point having some of the best scoring forwards in the country on the bench. Killian Spillane on bench and Paul Geaney not even on panel v Cork.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 10/04/2021 23:06:41    2336803

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Well I sincerely hope OK learned his lesson. I've no problem with one extra defender or a 3rd midfielder but that's it. No point having some of the best scoring forwards in the country on the bench. Killian Spillane on bench and Paul Geaney not even on panel v Cork."
Geaney not on the panel!!! What's this??? He must have been injured if he wasn't in it. Sure he's one of the best forwards in Ireland, never mind Kerry. A manager would want to be off his rocker not to include Paul Geaney!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 11/04/2021 09:24:41    2336827

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Geaney not on the panel!!! What's this??? He must have been injured if he wasn't in it. Sure he's one of the best forwards in Ireland, never mind Kerry. A manager would want to be off his rocker not to include Paul Geaney!"
A few days before Cork game Peter Keane stated Kerry had no injury worries and were picking from a full panel. When the 26 were picked for the Cork game Paul Geaney and James Ó Donoghue did not make the match day panel. Also he dropped Stephen Ó Brien to the bench before the game to sit bedside Killian Spillane. Now that's 4 top scoring forwards. 2 on the bench and 2 not even on the panel. If Mayo had those 4 forwards they would have won at least one all ireland and probably won last year. Not much having gunpowder if you ré not going to use it

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 11/04/2021 11:02:04    2336833

Link

Ya, hard to know the full story, Paul would be the second player on my inside line after DC. It would be a toss up then between Brosnan and Spillane, I have a grã for Spillane, I think he has serious ability with the right ball and more of a killer instinct thank the Crokes man,

I also think too he is better equipped to take care of him self against intercounty county backs, maybe the few years in lower divisions against the more robust corner back has moulded him better.

Regardless of the so side line , our spine still needs attention, in particular the defence and centerfield,

For me.. our spine should be Sherwood, Morley, Barry, Spillane, Seanie and DC.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 11/04/2021 15:04:39    2336857

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya, hard to know the full story, Paul would be the second player on my inside line after DC. It would be a toss up then between Brosnan and Spillane, I have a grã for Spillane, I think he has serious ability with the right ball and more of a killer instinct thank the Crokes man,

I also think too he is better equipped to take care of him self against intercounty county backs, maybe the few years in lower divisions against the more robust corner back has moulded him better.

Regardless of the so side line , our spine still needs attention, in particular the defence and centerfield,

For me.. our spine should be Sherwood, Morley, Barry, Spillane, Seanie and DC."
I would be of similar opinion. Very fond of Killian Spillane too. Strong good balance and a scoring forward. Not sure would I prefer Clifford in the corner or full but between himself and Geaney. We have the forwards but we have to use them. I like Morley a n D Sherwood and maybe Adrian could play centre back also.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 11/04/2021 15:48:38    2336865

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "A few days before Cork game Peter Keane stated Kerry had no injury worries and were picking from a full panel. When the 26 were picked for the Cork game Paul Geaney and James Ó Donoghue did not make the match day panel. Also he dropped Stephen Ó Brien to the bench before the game to sit bedside Killian Spillane. Now that's 4 top scoring forwards. 2 on the bench and 2 not even on the panel. If Mayo had those 4 forwards they would have won at least one all ireland and probably won last year. Not much having gunpowder if you ré not going to use it"
With all respects to JOD (great years ago, plagued by injury ever since), it's hard to fathom how Geaney wasn't included. As regards, SOB and KS, being on the bench, that's fair enough. Only 15 can start. How were O'Brien and Spillane going in training, etc? You're only as good as your last game... That's fine when licking your first 15. But to leave Paul Geaney totally off the panel! Now, that beggars belief!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 11/04/2021 15:56:49    2336867

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "With all respects to JOD (great years ago, plagued by injury ever since), it's hard to fathom how Geaney wasn't included. As regards, SOB and KS, being on the bench, that's fair enough. Only 15 can start. How were O'Brien and Spillane going in training, etc? You're only as good as your last game... That's fine when licking your first 15. But to leave Paul Geaney totally off the panel! Now, that beggars belief!"
I believe there may have been issues in the background with Paul around that time that we aren't all waste of not should we need to be aware of.. if Paul was available for selection Peter Keane would have had him in..... As for Adrian at 6, he never played there, he is a midfielder or a wing/corner forward acting as third midfielder.
Jerry's number 6 should be Morley but he is needed at no3. I am not sure Sherwood is the answer at full back. I think Peter Trusts Morley as his full back. Peter Crowley maybe in full back? I am not sure if there are any stand out fill backs in Kerry football at the moment. I 5hink there was a McCarthy lad from Kenmare that is fairly good but I think he is injured

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 11/04/2021 17:23:39    2336879

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "With all respects to JOD (great years ago, plagued by injury ever since), it's hard to fathom how Geaney wasn't included. As regards, SOB and KS, being on the bench, that's fair enough. Only 15 can start. How were O'Brien and Spillane going in training, etc? You're only as good as your last game... That's fine when licking your first 15. But to leave Paul Geaney totally off the panel! Now, that beggars belief!"
I hear you on James Ó Donoghue but if he could stay injury free he s still young enough to cause problems for any defense. In the league last year v Dublin he was brilliant in first half before going off kicking 3 points from play. On how the lads were going in training last year I don't know but he selected Ó Brien and then changed him for a defender. Not very bright and it did nt work.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 11/04/2021 18:03:42    2336884

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "I believe there may have been issues in the background with Paul around that time that we aren't all waste of not should we need to be aware of.. if Paul was available for selection Peter Keane would have had him in..... As for Adrian at 6, he never played there, he is a midfielder or a wing/corner forward acting as third midfielder.
Jerry's number 6 should be Morley but he is needed at no3. I am not sure Sherwood is the answer at full back. I think Peter Trusts Morley as his full back. Peter Crowley maybe in full back? I am not sure if there are any stand out fill backs in Kerry football at the moment. I 5hink there was a McCarthy lad from Kenmare that is fairly good but I think he is injured"
Adrian's Dad was a midfielder and a forward but became a class center back and Adrian reminds me of him alot. One of the best club full backs in Dublin is Jack Maguire from Listowl. I dont think Peter Crowley is suited to fb.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 11/04/2021 18:09:55    2336885

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Adrian's Dad was a midfielder and a forward but became a class center back and Adrian reminds me of him alot. One of the best club full backs in Dublin is Jack Maguire from Listowl. I dont think Peter Crowley is suited to fb."
I know, I played with Adrian's dad and Adrian's uncle. All Spillane's past and present are all athletes and could play anywhere but Adrian's best position is around the middle with the ball charging forward. Adrian has played all his club football midfield, partnered by Sean Sheehan ( I am flummoxed he never got a run with any Kerry team) they are a very potent pairing. I think all us fans agree that David Moran hasn't the legs for 70 mins. Perhaps it's time for the two Na Gael boys or Adrian to start games and have David Moran to spring off the bench. I don't know the Maguire fella, and I don't think Peter Crowley is the solution at FB either. I think Morley will just be left there.... Centre Back is a tough shout too, on any day you could argue for Sherwood / Peter or Gavin Crowley.......

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 11/04/2021 19:32:24    2336897

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "I know, I played with Adrian's dad and Adrian's uncle. All Spillane's past and present are all athletes and could play anywhere but Adrian's best position is around the middle with the ball charging forward. Adrian has played all his club football midfield, partnered by Sean Sheehan ( I am flummoxed he never got a run with any Kerry team) they are a very potent pairing. I think all us fans agree that David Moran hasn't the legs for 70 mins. Perhaps it's time for the two Na Gael boys or Adrian to start games and have David Moran to spring off the bench. I don't know the Maguire fella, and I don't think Peter Crowley is the solution at FB either. I think Morley will just be left there.... Centre Back is a tough shout too, on any day you could argue for Sherwood / Peter or Gavin Crowley......."
Again I agree. I have great time for David Moran but I think he not a 70 mins man anymore and yes Jack Barry and a.A.N other midfield. Maybe Adrian or Diarmuid or Liam Kearney Joe Ó Connor. I wouldave no prob with Sherwood CB either and would refer him to the two Crowleys

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 11/04/2021 20:13:04    2336906

Link

Adrain's best position is indeed around the middle, either in midfield or on the wing. I think this year Jack Barry will be the main stay with his club colleague and Adrain playing either beside him or on the wing.

I think Moran's best days are well behind him and the three above are our best option unless we have a bolter.

Other options are Seanie although I'd rather he stayed on the forty. Sherwood can play any centre role and of the new contingent Joe O'Conner looks the most likely going on club form. I still have time and hope for Liam Kearney but he needs an extended injury free run,.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 11/04/2021 20:58:30    2336912

Link

I've said it before but for me Moran is still a starter. I'd prefer him on at the start of games than the end of games as the end is where he can do stupid things that will cost us. He's our only dominant midfielder unless Joe O'Connor could become that, though it's probably too soon for him to be that presence. Barry next to him for me. That is our physically strongest partnership that will win the most ball around the middle and won't be bullied. I'd go with Spillane at wing forward for the additional ball winner and his unreal work rate. Joe O'Connor would be the only player who could break into the midfield for me as I think Diarmuid O'Connor's best chance is the wing. If he is going to dislodge Spillane he's going to have to show huge improvement. I feel he gets dispossessed too easily and doesn't win any high ball around midfield. He has loads of potential but needs to start delivering on it. If he has managed to add some bulk to his frame over the lockdown it would be a big help. Ronan Buckley started last year but I think it's hard to see a role for him this year. He would need to show more attacking and fielding wise, his defensive contribution is good though. I'm a big Sherwood fan but I feel 6 is the one defensive position he can't play. I think he's more suited to a marking or attacking role than the holding required for centre back.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 11/04/2021 21:47:07    2336915

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Adrain's best position is indeed around the middle, either in midfield or on the wing. I think this year Jack Barry will be the main stay with his club colleague and Adrain playing either beside him or on the wing.

I think Moran's best days are well behind him and the three above are our best option unless we have a bolter.

Other options are Seanie although I'd rather he stayed on the forty. Sherwood can play any centre role and of the new contingent Joe O'Conner looks the most likely going on club form. I still have time and hope for Liam Kearney but he needs an extended injury free run,."
Of course Rathmore s Mark Ryan was called into the Kerry panel and he s a midfielder too.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 11/04/2021 21:57:15    2336917

Link

Kerry15, you said you would rather start him because he does silly things at end of games.. ..is it because he is tired, and if so could he be a serious player off the bench ?

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 11/04/2021 22:16:32    2336918

Link

I hate to be disrespectful and one has to commend the commitment and applaud the service given but for me both Peter Crowley and David Moran has already played their best ball and owe us nothing.

At this stage there are in my opinion better options than the above to fill the pivotal positions, they also too have a lot of mileage on the clock and had both endured serious knee injuries. Graham Sullivan for me is a player that I think can fill various defensive roles for us and again we have options around the middle.

The thing too is, 90% of all kickouts at intercounty level are short or around the 30 yard punt, the day of the big man fielding around the middle are sadly waning, mute more athletic ball winning and speed adjustment are the new vital criteria needed in the engine room, sadly the Narries man does not contain those capabilities

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 11/04/2021 22:25:35    2336920

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I hate to be disrespectful and one has to commend the commitment and applaud the service given but for me both Peter Crowley and David Moran has already played their best ball and owe us nothing.

At this stage there are in my opinion better options than the above to fill the pivotal positions, they also too have a lot of mileage on the clock and had both endured serious knee injuries. Graham Sullivan for me is a player that I think can fill various defensive roles for us and again we have options around the middle.

The thing too is, 90% of all kickouts at intercounty level are short or around the 30 yard punt, the day of the big man fielding around the middle are sadly waning, mute more athletic ball winning and speed adjustment are the new vital criteria needed in the engine room, sadly the Narries man does not contain those capabilities"
Horse, I don't think you're being disrespectful in any way. I think you're being objective. I think the issue for Kerry is that ye need to get a settled defense. All of ye on here seem to have different opinions about the full-back line and the half-back line. I think that's the most disruptive thing about COVID-19 from a Kerry point of view, that ye haven't had the chance to establish a settled defence. Ye were close enough in 2019, just needed a change or two, not a whole new reconstruction.

Most responsible inter-county players will look after themselves as regards their own strength, conditioning and fitness, but it's the gelling, the regular playing together that's being hit the hardest with the lockdown. And the timeframe involved now in getting back up to speed, might not be enough to establish a settled, cohesive defensive unit.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 12/04/2021 11:22:10    2336942

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "Kerry15, you said you would rather start him because he does silly things at end of games.. ..is it because he is tired, and if so could he be a serious player off the bench ?"
It's probably a factor but I also think he tries to "lead" in those situations but just ends up taking huge brainless kicks or being caught in possession. He doesn't have the composure required, I just don't think it's in his make up full stop. Anyway I don't think he'd be a huge impact player. I'd much prefer him to be on for the first 55 minutes helping us win enough ball around the middle rather than the last 25.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 12/04/2021 16:55:10    2336997

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I hate to be disrespectful and one has to commend the commitment and applaud the service given but for me both Peter Crowley and David Moran has already played their best ball and owe us nothing.

The thing too is, 90% of all kickouts at intercounty level are short or around the 30 yard punt, the day of the big man fielding around the middle are sadly waning, mute more athletic ball winning and speed adjustment are the new vital criteria needed in the engine room, sadly the Narries man does not contain those capabilities"
I wouldn't totally agree with the last statement. I think a lot of kickouts still go long. When a press is put on us Ryan usually kicks it long to our best fielder, I think it's very important to have a player you would be confident of winning a good share of high ball around the middle.

It's hard to know what level Peter Crowley is at but if he's near pre cruciate levels I think he's a corner back option possibly ahead of Foley. I don't see Graham O'Sullivan finding a position. I think that not having one best position will work against him. I think there are better options in both the full and half back lines.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 12/04/2021 17:04:01    2337000

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I wouldn't totally agree with the last statement. I think a lot of kickouts still go long. When a press is put on us Ryan usually kicks it long to our best fielder, I think it's very important to have a player you would be confident of winning a good share of high ball around the middle.

It's hard to know what level Peter Crowley is at but if he's near pre cruciate levels I think he's a corner back option possibly ahead of Foley. I don't see Graham O'Sullivan finding a position. I think that not having one best position will work against him. I think there are better options in both the full and half back lines."
I think Graham Ó Sullivan worth a look. I think this year is make or break for a few players like Jason Foley Diarmuid O'Connor etc. Time for players to nail down their positions now including O Beaglaoi who I have great time for. Maybe it's time for a new approach and have a speedy CB like Tom Sullivan. Kerry don't necessary have to have a holding centre back if we play a sweeper with 5 forwards. What are posters view on Mark Ryan as a midfielder. I don't know much about him.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 12/04/2021 20:39:38    2337022

Link