Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To foreveryoung:  "It's not too often that'd I'd be inclined to agree with the Hermit, but if fair is fair, that game should be played in Connolly Park."
Well I think you mean Austin stack Park. Connolly Park is the Stacks home ground. Kerry are due advantage v Dublin but the gaa have taken it away. Dublin instead of losing a home game are gaining a neutral game. Mind-boggling. A few years ago the gaa asked Kerry to give up home advantage v Dubs and Kerry County board obliged and played in croker
I'm not sure what's happening this time.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 09/04/2021 16:19:57    2336618

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Kerry 15 why has our home game against the dubs been moved to Portlaoise do you know?"
I don't know KingdomBoy I'm baffled by it but no fixture has been confirmed yet it seemed to be speculation so we might be at home yet.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 09/04/2021 19:44:57    2336640

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "So basically every team will either have a semi-final or a relegation play-off?

Its so hard to know what the form will be like given the past 12 months. Kerry could as easily top the group as finish bottom of it. On paper you would say they are stronger than anyone bar Dublin in the League but in practice Galway and Roscommon could be quiet capable of beating them.

I really hope come next week when training resumes we get a good sense of what the panel is and who is in and out."
Ya every team is guaranteed at least 4 league games with those qualifying for a final having 5 if they don't have championship the week after.

We need to hit the ground running so I'd be very disappointed if we don't finish in the top 2 in our group. Even though Galway are good we should be beating them, while the Dublin game will be very very close. Psychologically, I think we need to beat them. We could end up playing Dublin twice before the championship starts if we both make the final, a big if alright but a real possibility at the same time.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 09/04/2021 19:50:55    2336641

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya every team is guaranteed at least 4 league games with those qualifying for a final having 5 if they don't have championship the week after.

We need to hit the ground running so I'd be very disappointed if we don't finish in the top 2 in our group. Even though Galway are good we should be beating them, while the Dublin game will be very very close. Psychologically, I think we need to beat them. We could end up playing Dublin twice before the championship starts if we both make the final, a big if alright but a real possibility at the same time."
If the league has shown one thing from a Kerry perspective over the last few years it it is nothing is a given. Kerry can beat anyone on a given day but lose when expected to win.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 09/04/2021 20:26:49    2336644

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I don't know KingdomBoy I'm baffled by it but no fixture has been confirmed yet it seemed to be speculation so we might be at home yet."
Sound Kerry 15 hopefully it's only a slip up and not true and if it is true then our county board needs to stand up and be counted.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 09/04/2021 20:33:30    2336645

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "If the league has shown one thing from a Kerry perspective over the last few years it it is nothing is a given. Kerry can beat anyone on a given day but lose when expected to win."
Kerry have been very consistent in the league under PK. We only lost 1 of the 7 each time in his 2 years so I wouldn't agree with that statement at all.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 09/04/2021 23:08:20    2336673

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Kerry have been very consistent in the league under PK. We only lost 1 of the 7 each time in his 2 years so I wouldn't agree with that statement at all."
Who did we lose to last year again was it that match against Tyrone in that awful rain? That was the only League game I bailed on before the Lockdown.

God even though it was only 13 months ago that last bit of normality in Castlebar when we were all freezing our butts off feels like a lifetime has past.

Honestly it is scary thinking were are so long now into this pandemic. My whole life now just seems to be inside the four walls of this house.

Let's hope the Kingdom's sons can give us the lift we all desperately need this summer. Heading into the seventh year now without Sam, the drought is turning into a Famine :(

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6110 - 10/04/2021 00:55:41    2336680

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Who did we lose to last year again was it that match against Tyrone in that awful rain? That was the only League game I bailed on before the Lockdown.

God even though it was only 13 months ago that last bit of normality in Castlebar when we were all freezing our butts off feels like a lifetime has past.

Honestly it is scary thinking were are so long now into this pandemic. My whole life now just seems to be inside the four walls of this house.

Let's hope the Kingdom's sons can give us the lift we all desperately need this summer. Heading into the seventh year now without Sam, the drought is turning into a Famine :("
There are green shoots though and reasons to be optimistic.

There is no safety net and in that regard PK finds himself in a knockout situation where no kerry manager since Paidi has been. In that regard there is added pressure but the sideline can only do so much. No manager can kick a ball over the bar.

We could be in for an intriguing but condensed year yet.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 10/04/2021 02:27:20    2336682

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Well I think you mean Austin stack Park. Connolly Park is the Stacks home ground. Kerry are due advantage v Dublin but the gaa have taken it away. Dublin instead of losing a home game are gaining a neutral game. Mind-boggling. A few years ago the gaa asked Kerry to give up home advantage v Dubs and Kerry County board obliged and played in croker
I'm not sure what's happening this time."
Yeah, it's a strange decision. I'm sure the Kerry Co. Board will raise an issue about it. At least, I hope they do. As regards the pitch name, during my stays in Tralee, I only ever heard it referred to as Connolly Park, or the-top-of-the-Rock. Of course we always knew that we were going to the Stacks ground, but I never heard it referred to as Austin Stack Park. Did they change the name during the last 30 years or so?

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 10/04/2021 04:37:20    2336684

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Yeah, it's a strange decision. I'm sure the Kerry Co. Board will raise an issue about it. At least, I hope they do. As regards the pitch name, during my stays in Tralee, I only ever heard it referred to as Connolly Park, or the-top-of-the-Rock. Of course we always knew that we were going to the Stacks ground, but I never heard it referred to as Austin Stack Park. Did they change the name during the last 30 years or so?"
No two totally seperate pitches, ASP has always been knows as Stacks Park. Whereas Connolly Park is the actual home of the Rockies.

The "Top of the Rock" is Connolly Park

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5283 - 10/04/2021 09:25:00    2336697

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Who did we lose to last year again was it that match against Tyrone in that awful rain? That was the only League game I bailed on before the Lockdown.

Let's hope the Kingdom's sons can give us the lift we all desperately need this summer. Heading into the seventh year now without Sam, the drought is turning into a Famine :("
Ya we lost to Tyrone above in edendork the hermit it was during storm Ciara, it was 1 of the worst days for football I'd ever seen and I come from Dingle so we'd see our fair share of bad weather.

Up to 40 mins before the game was due to start we still didn't know if the game would go ahead, the reff actually said if it rained 1 more time before the throw in he'd call it thankfully the rains stayed off till the game had started, our boys kept trying to bounce the ball that day and we turned over a lot of ball.

Still at least we see intercounty football played in hopefully good conditions now over the next 4/5 months.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 12931 - 10/04/2021 11:29:41    2336707

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Kerry have been very consistent in the league under PK. We only lost 1 of the 7 each time in his 2 years so I wouldn't agree with that statement at all."
But the games we lost we were supposed to win and were very lucky in one or two games also.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 10/04/2021 14:29:28    2336726

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "No two totally seperate pitches, ASP has always been knows as Stacks Park. Whereas Connolly Park is the actual home of the Rockies.

The "Top of the Rock" is Connolly Park"
Thanks Horse. I'd say that I've never been to ASP. The games that I watched when living in Tralee years ago were usually on Mitchels Rd, and a few in Connolly Park. I watched O'Rahilly's train on Strand Rd a couple of times, but don't think I ever saw a proper match there.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 401 - 10/04/2021 14:31:31    2336727

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "There are green shoots though and reasons to be optimistic.

There is no safety net and in that regard PK finds himself in a knockout situation where no kerry manager since Paidi has been. In that regard there is added pressure but the sideline can only do so much. No manager can kick a ball over the bar.

We could be in for an intriguing but condensed year yet."
The manager can't kick a ball over the bar but he is the mainstay in picking the team and he made a balls of it before Cork. This is nt wise in the aftermath as a good few of us highlighted this before the Cork game when team was named.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 10/04/2021 14:32:21    2336728

Link

Those internal games played once training is allowed resume will be very important. A few decisions will be made based on them I think as there isn't enough time for trying lots of things in the league games. One key decision will be what combination of Morley, Sherwood and Gavin Crowley will be our central defensive spine. I think a decision has to be made and stuck with for the year as the more continuity in those positions for us the better. Peter Crowley is also a possibility there but I would prefer to see him at corner back. The other key decision that has to be made that the internal games will play a huge part in is what new/not established players will be given game time as really everyone who will be playing in the championship has to play in the league with it being straight knockout and only maximum 5 games. I'm thinking specifically of Paudie Clifford and Joe O'Connor. They would need significant league game time to be trusted for championship.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 10/04/2021 15:49:46    2336738

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "But the games we lost we were supposed to win and were very lucky in one or two games also."
Well we lost to Mayo and Tyrone, if we're looking at it like that we're basically saying we're supposed to win every game. We put the Mayo loss right in the championship while I would read very little into the loss to Tyrone the conditions were so bad. It's division 1 most games are very close. I think you're being very harsh to be honest.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 766 - 10/04/2021 15:54:17    2336739

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "But the games we lost we were supposed to win and were very lucky in one or two games also."
What are you smoking? Kerry lost three games in the last two years.

Last year we lost to Tyrone up in Edendork. A game that should never have been played. I drove to the game from Donegak and twice the radio said the game was going be called off. Kerry were told an hour before arriving at the pitch that they couldn't tog or do the warmup there. They were taken to coalisland to tog and warm up, then bussed to the game. And if you can remember it was a tough close game, Clifford was blackgaurded and got sent off. Still only lost by one.

The game was in tralee under lights which was a wet miserable evening, a late mayo goal won them the game, it was a tight game up until the goal which put them 4 clear, but Kerry still clawed 2 points back but it wasn't enough.

The national league final two years ago was a disappointment, goals cost us.

So how do you make out we were supposed to win those three games? Silly talk. And as for your comment about being lucky in one or two games??? Every team deserves a bit of luck but I would be interested to know what exactly you meant by luck?.

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 10/04/2021 16:52:58    2336748

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Well we lost to Mayo and Tyrone, if we're looking at it like that we're basically saying we're supposed to win every game. We put the Mayo loss right in the championship while I would read very little into the loss to Tyrone the conditions were so bad. It's division 1 most games are very close. I think you're being very harsh to be honest."
Not at all. We have done brilliantly in the league the last 2 seasons but my point is we have played very well v Dublin (twice) but struggled in other games. 2 years ago Galway should ve beaten us and last year Meath should ve beaten us. We are in consistent maybe not by results but definately in our games. Maybe you don't agree but that's my view on it.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 10/04/2021 18:46:52    2336765

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "What are you smoking? Kerry lost three games in the last two years.

Last year we lost to Tyrone up in Edendork. A game that should never have been played. I drove to the game from Donegak and twice the radio said the game was going be called off. Kerry were told an hour before arriving at the pitch that they couldn't tog or do the warmup there. They were taken to coalisland to tog and warm up, then bussed to the game. And if you can remember it was a tough close game, Clifford was blackgaurded and got sent off. Still only lost by one.

The game was in tralee under lights which was a wet miserable evening, a late mayo goal won them the game, it was a tight game up until the goal which put them 4 clear, but Kerry still clawed 2 points back but it wasn't enough.

The national league final two years ago was a disappointment, goals cost us.

So how do you make out we were supposed to win those three games? Silly talk. And as for your comment about being lucky in one or two games??? Every team deserves a bit of luck but I would be interested to know what exactly you meant by luck?."
I'm not smoking at all. I'm just pointing out that Kerry were nt as convincing as the tables showed. 2yrs ago were very lucky to beat Galway. Last year Kerry were lucky v Meath who missed a bit. The paper stated that "Kerry stuttered to a win". We beat Galway and Mayo by one point. The Donegal game was nt a real game as Donegal rested most of their team. In my opinion Kerry have blown hot and cold last year and two years ago threw away the league final when in total control. It was because of these inconsistencies that I posted often to be wary of Cork. Kerry have the talent but more consistency is needed.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 1954 - 10/04/2021 18:59:46    2336769

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I'm not smoking at all. I'm just pointing out that Kerry were nt as convincing as the tables showed. 2yrs ago were very lucky to beat Galway. Last year Kerry were lucky v Meath who missed a bit. The paper stated that "Kerry stuttered to a win". We beat Galway and Mayo by one point. The Donegal game was nt a real game as Donegal rested most of their team. In my opinion Kerry have blown hot and cold last year and two years ago threw away the league final when in total control. It was because of these inconsistencies that I posted often to be wary of Cork. Kerry have the talent but more consistency is needed."
The league is for blooding players, that's what keane did. The only reason that Kerry lost to Cork last year was because Keane listened to everyone skinning him about conceding three goals vs cork the year before and three goals in the league final, so he set up defensively.... Kerry can't do defense, and it cost them

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 134 - 10/04/2021 21:54:03    2336788

Link