Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya missing Paul O'Shea, Darragh Lyne, Mark Kelliher, Patrick Darcy, Dan McCarthy and Donal O'Sullivan. It will be a big ask but Galway are missing their midfield pairing which evens it up a bit but we've definitely lost more. Paul O'Shea was probably the player I was most looking forward to seeing in this game as well, he has such a unique style and has great potential. Hopefully we can still get the win. Also what's the story with having sub numbers starting and starting numbers on the bench? Never seen that before and it's not Covid related because anyone affected that way isn't in the panel."
They're serious players Kerry15 it's gonna be hard for us to win now, Paul O'Shea has amazing vission and was the 1 I wanted to see as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 17/10/2020 10:47:15    2298306

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ah Christ you can not compare Paul O'Shea and Paul Walsh.. Paul O'Shea will make it... sadly I don't think Walsh will make it, seen him up close in north a Kerry from U16- recent and he is a good club player but apologies not intercounty standard.. I actually would have Seán Quilter ahead of him in the U20 set up.

I think Quilter is a serious rough diamond.

On another matter do ye thing the starting XV by Peter Keane will start?"
Ya iv been very unimpressed with what iv seen of Walsh, he has totally plateaued and I can't see him making it, also why are we starting my club man Davidas Uosis iv great time for Davidas but sure he's off the oz in the new year and will be of no value to us down the road.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 17/10/2020 10:51:33    2298309

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya iv been very unimpressed with what iv seen of Walsh, he has totally plateaued and I can't see him making it, also why are we starting my club man Davidas Uosis iv great time for Davidas but sure he's off the oz in the new year and will be of no value to us down the road."
The announcer doing the Radio Kerry commentary was brilliant.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 542 - 17/10/2020 15:54:34    2298392

Link

Lads after seeing both u20 starting teams I'm still backing us. Looks like we'll be playing a sweeper which I don't agree with but hopefully we can dig it out. Need very big games from Beaglaoich and Eddie Horan in the forward line.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 17/10/2020 15:58:36    2298395

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Welcome back traleeGerry, I hope you and all belonging to you are keeping well old stock. hopefully we'll have plenty of football to keep us entertained for the next few months."
Thanks for the welcome back Kingdom boy you and my friend the are good genuine lads

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 613 - 17/10/2020 16:53:14    2298408

Link

So disappointing to see our U20s campaign pettier out into such a whimper because of the curse of Covid.

Galway just too strong when it mattered and well done on their win.

Hope they can beat Dublin now in the final, the last thing the GAA needs is the Dubs dominating underage as well...

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 17/10/2020 17:27:37    2298416

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "So disappointing to see our U20s campaign pettier out into such a whimper because of the curse of Covid.

Galway just too strong when it mattered and well done on their win.

Hope they can beat Dublin now in the final, the last thing the GAA needs is the Dubs dominating underage as well..."
Our U20s were in the driving seat 4 points up till Sean Keane got black carded on the 27th minute the hermit,

He didn't seem to come back on again till the 37th minute so does the 2 min of injury time not count on the 10 mins?

In fairness to Paul Walsh he got 2 good points, was he injured that he didn't appear for the second half?

The Horans played well and they're strong as horse's.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 17/10/2020 17:50:54    2298429

Link

Tough going on the U20's the black cards were hard to overcome but you'd have to say over the course of the game Galway deserved it.

Happy enough with the seniors. They controlled the game really and I thought the score line flattered Monaghan a bit, albeit the missed a couple of decent goal efforts. Need to sharpen up in some areas of course but that's about as much as you could ask for today. Very impressed with O'Connor, looks to have kicked on.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 17/10/2020 18:12:36    2298441

Link

Another bad say at the office for the under 20s. They were nt good enough. A lot of silly passes and 2 silly black cards! It's a sad fact we have gained nothing from the 5 in a row minor winning teams. I have always argued that you ll get more from U20/21 teams that win going forward than you will from minors. Cork Dublin Galway Mayo seem to ve doing better at that level than us. Of course I also believe.. ed Cork were very unlucky in the minor grade during our success at minor as we beat them a couple of times in extra time in semi finals and they got no back door. If like last year they had been beaten in first round they D have the back door and who knows Cork might have won a couple of minor all Irelands. Anyhow Cork have won u 20 and we have not. Its just a shame we ve got nothing out of those minor wins. Yes we were nt all full strength but neither were Galway. I think Dublin will be too strong for Galway though

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 17/10/2020 18:20:55    2298447

Link

I suppose the one solace is the county's that often do well at U21 level often do little at senior these past 20 years. Cork, Galway, Mayo not too many All Ireland's there since 2000.

We've got plenty out of the minors considering what the starting 15 in Iniskeen was today!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 17/10/2020 18:34:15    2298457

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I suppose the one solace is the county's that often do well at U21 level often do little at senior these past 20 years. Cork, Galway, Mayo not too many All Ireland's there since 2000.

We've got plenty out of the minors considering what the starting 15 in Iniskeen was today!"
I'd agree hermit, they have certainly underperformed at this grade but once you get a couple of lads each year through to senior them I don't think it's all that detrimental. The Kerry team from last decade that made six finals in a row didn't have a long run of minor or U21 success underpinning it. I think the need to win at this grade is a bit overstated.

Said on the main page as well that you must factor in how little Mark O'Connor, Sean O'Shea and Clifford contributed at U20 after being the stars and talismans of the minor teams, and then Paul O'Shea missing today.

It's disappointing but I wouldn't be getting overly worried about it

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 17/10/2020 18:49:45    2298466

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "I'd agree hermit, they have certainly underperformed at this grade but once you get a couple of lads each year through to senior them I don't think it's all that detrimental. The Kerry team from last decade that made six finals in a row didn't have a long run of minor or U21 success underpinning it. I think the need to win at this grade is a bit overstated.

Said on the main page as well that you must factor in how little Mark O'Connor, Sean O'Shea and Clifford contributed at U20 after being the stars and talismans of the minor teams, and then Paul O'Shea missing today.

It's disappointing but I wouldn't be getting overly worried about it"
Still it would be good to gain a title in this grade every few years 2008 is a long time ago. I think John Sugrue is a fine coach so hoping he might be able to get us over the line next year and add to his impressive CV.

Great to get a win today up in Monaghan. It wasn't the greatest game but what can you expect. The men behind the ball tactic was obviously to try and compensate for the lack of fitness and I thought we defended well.

A bit wayward in shooting up front but again that's to be expected.

Great to see Gavin White pick up where he left off. DOC looked sharp too. SOS was quite enough but Clifford was class as usual.

I wonder where Geaney and JOD were today, are they injured??

Hope they start Paudie next week to see what he can do.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 17/10/2020 19:11:37    2298474

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I suppose the one solace is the county's that often do well at U21 level often do little at senior these past 20 years. Cork, Galway, Mayo not too many All Ireland's there since 2000.

We've got plenty out of the minors considering what the starting 15 in Iniskeen was today!"
I think you know what I mean. Dubs won u 21 in 2010 and success followed we won 3 u21 in the 1990 s and had great success in the noughties. We won no minors for 20 years and did fine. Cork won senior all ireland in 2010 after winning u21 year before. My point being that success in the bigger grade is a better barometer than minors.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 17/10/2020 19:17:33    2298475

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Tough going on the U20's the black cards were hard to overcome but you'd have to say over the course of the game Galway deserved it.

Happy enough with the seniors. They controlled the game really and I thought the score line flattered Monaghan a bit, albeit the missed a couple of decent goal efforts. Need to sharpen up in some areas of course but that's about as much as you could ask for today. Very impressed with O'Connor, looks to have kicked on."
Very impressed with O'connor Brosnan and all our back, we were very patient and picked the lock.

I found Ronan Buckley was OK but looked a bit awe struck and was caught ball watching when monaghan nearly got in for a goal.

Mícheál burns was desperate, I cant understand how he gets so many chances? He gave away so much ball today and is very greedy.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 17/10/2020 20:14:13    2298497

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Very impressed with O'connor Brosnan and all our back, we were very patient and picked the lock.

I found Ronan Buckley was OK but looked a bit awe struck and was caught ball watching when monaghan nearly got in for a goal.

Mícheál burns was desperate, I cant understand how he gets so many chances? He gave away so much ball today and is very greedy."
I tend to agree with you about Burns. I saw him a few years ago v Galway in the league and after beating his man twice he turned around again and got caught. When you beat your man you keep going. He s an enigma i think. Every time I write him off he produces a great performance but is too inconsistent. I personally don't think he s suitable for an all ireland attack but I have been known to be wrong.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 17/10/2020 21:11:55    2298527

Link

U20's were caught tonight, I think the black card really upset our momentum. We were just missing too many key players, in my opinion Paul O'Shea and even more so Donal O'Sullivan were big losses. The two Horan's again impressed me,

When we were chasing the game I was amazed Seán Quilter was not introduced, he for me is def for the future, a real rough diamond,

K'boy your keeper will be loss when off to Oz, he was impressive again today.

Still, I know another year goes abegging but this doesn't bother me, it all about player progression, in that regard I'm happy with John Sugrue. I think he is one in the making,

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 17/10/2020 21:35:44    2298551

Link

I know it was Louth and no disrespect but Cork kicked in 5-19. That's serious clipping and has kept their championship level status secure.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 17/10/2020 22:04:24    2298568

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "I know it was Louth and no disrespect but Cork kicked in 5-19. That's serious clipping and has kept their championship level status secure."
Yeah but it's Louth and it's division 3, sure look what Wicklow scored today too.

I think they'll be a lot of odd scores over the next couple of weeks because of everything. Sure look it was the same when the soccer came back.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 17/10/2020 22:17:35    2298574

Link

Link below to an Examiner article on Jason McGahans work with the Kerry panel. This is one thing that was very noticeable at the end of both finals last year and I often said it on here. Kerry's conditioning was good but not where it needed to be to match the Dubs. If they have closed the gap during lockdown I will be very impressed.

link

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 18/10/2020 15:27:53    2298746

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Link below to an Examiner article on Jason McGahans work with the Kerry panel. This is one thing that was very noticeable at the end of both finals last year and I often said it on here. Kerry's conditioning was good but not where it needed to be to match the Dubs. If they have closed the gap during lockdown I will be very impressed.

link"
Ya I read that during the week online.. you can visibly see it in certain players, Foley, Diarmuid and Moynihan are three examples ...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 18/10/2020 16:46:48    2298790

Link