Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The day you underestimate Cork is the day they flatten you.

I don't care if we've beaten them 30 times out of 30 coming into a game, we've all experienced what Cork can do to many a Kerry side that wasn't up for it - who said that Cork teams were like mushrooms that come up overnight??

There's a big red circle around the 8 Nov in the calendar in my kitchen and I won't be thinking or dreaming about Kerry doing anything this Championship until the Cork team bus is leaving PUC under the cloud of another loss!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 13/10/2020 19:14:06    2297363

Link

It's still Kerry/Cork and I don't care what anyone says on any given day anything can happen - I always think of Cork in 1991. All ireland finalists 4 years in a row and going for three all irelands in a row ... and out of the blue we catch them cold in Killarney.... I know cork may be weekend and wounded but don't care... they still dangerous ...

Like hermit, I'll expect the win but taking nothing for granted....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 13/10/2020 20:03:28    2297372

Link

Agreed and it's no yerra yerra either. Even with the golden years team Cork were always hard to beat. It's the local rivalry thing. A bad Cork team can put it up to Kerry and vice versa although this Cork team ain't bad.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 13/10/2020 20:48:15    2297387

Link

Cork have some good footballers and will put up a fierce resistance I have no doubt but I'd expect Kerry to pull away when they need to. Corks conditioning let them down towards the end in some big games where they were otherwise competitive in the Championship last year, given all that has happened since I doubt that has improved dramatically.

I'd expect a scrappy, laboured five point win and we'll all be giving out about how leaky the Kerry defence is afterwards. Just can't see cork having enough unless Kerry have an early sending off or something.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 13/10/2020 21:14:47    2297392

Link

Hello to all our Kerry friends
How are ye going
Im sure youre looking forward to the U20 All Ireland Semi Final on Sat as I am,
Two good footballing countys going at it ,
We have a big set back here 2 of our best lads are out to to covid outbreak in Moycullen area
We are also down the 4 lads from Moycullen that were on the Galway Senior team
Shane Walsh is also out injured so much can change in a mater of weeks

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1216 - 13/10/2020 21:30:34    2297400

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Hello to all our Kerry friends
How are ye going
We have a big set back here 2 of our best lads are out to to covid outbreak in Moycullen area
Shane Walsh is also out injured so much can change in a mater of weeks"
Yeah a tough one for Galway u 20 s Hudson and hope Shane Walsh makes a speedy recovery. A class football that was really thriving this year in the league under Joyce. Def looking forward to the u 20 s and championship fare again.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 13/10/2020 22:47:56    2297413

Link

Replying To rhudson:  "Hello to all our Kerry friends
How are ye going
Shane Walsh is also out injured so much can change in a mater of weeks"
Sorry to hear rhudson that's a setback, we're out a lad from the senior team for a semilar reason, ah that's a pity about yer U20 players maybe the Galway and kerry boards can agree a postponement and play it the following Saturday.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 14/10/2020 07:49:18    2297430

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Sorry to hear rhudson that's a setback, we're out a lad from the senior team for a semilar reason, ah that's a pity about yer U20 players maybe the Galway and kerry boards can agree a postponement and play it the following Saturday."
Who's put from our senior team? The only one I heard of was Jack Barry .. Any of ye read Donaghy in today's examiner.. he's advocating Seanie for midfield and Paudie to the forty...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 14/10/2020 11:56:55    2297492

Link

I only hear Jack Barry out. Is Andrew Barry back in panel? I'm moot sure about Seanie Shea midfield. I saw him there before and was nt impress but of course I'm prob judging him unfairly. Sure maybe it's worth a try last 2 games of league although I'd prefer him cf.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 14/10/2020 12:20:14    2297503

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Who's put from our senior team? The only one I heard of was Jack Barry .. Any of ye read Donaghy in today's examiner.. he's advocating Seanie for midfield and Paudie to the forty..."
I wont mention the name on here horse. I didn't read Donaghys article yet.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 14/10/2020 13:31:13    2297535

Link

Read Donaghy s article. He s all for trying Jack Barry at CB. Jack played there underage and is a commanding figure

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 14/10/2020 16:01:51    2297591

Link

Barry at centre back is not the craziest thing I have ever heard, it was floated here before a few times. Moran / O'Shea midfield with Diarmuid O'Connor or Adrian Spillane helping out from the half forward line should break even with most teams at midfield also.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 14/10/2020 16:59:05    2297597

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Who's put from our senior team? The only one I heard of was Jack Barry .. Any of ye read Donaghy in today's examiner.. he's advocating Seanie for midfield and Paudie to the forty..."
Horse how do you feel about jack Barry at centre back for Kerry?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 14/10/2020 17:11:27    2297598

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Barry at centre back is not the craziest thing I have ever heard, it was floated here before a few times. Moran / O'Shea midfield with Diarmuid O'Connor or Adrian Spillane helping out from the half forward line should break even with most teams at midfield also."
Well I threw it out before Barry worth a look CB. He played there underage for Kerry. It's just a suggestion of course but it might stop teams running down the middle against us

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 14/10/2020 18:16:23    2297611

Link

FYou have often heard my opinion on players positions and centre back has often been touted as a position for various players that played further out the field, I know K'boy and I has a long lasting joke about Maher but apart from him various other midfielders have been quoted as possible options, Moran, Tommy Walsh (and the saying that drives my nut... surges didn't his father play centre and full back), others like Donnqchadh and now Jack Barry.

For what it's worth this is my opinion.. the centre back role has evolved, the days of the 'stopper' are long gone but a physical presence is a requirement, what was once the block has been replaced. The modern centre back must still be physical, be an exemplary and attitude reader of the game and be fast both mentally and physically. The centre back must be light in the toes, able to swivel and change direction sharply, be very comfortable on the ball, strong tackler and have in his locker the ability to give the perfect pass..

Barry has a lot of these qualities, strong, good tackler can read the game, but he lacks the sharpness, the speed capability and the deft touch... to me he is better suited to centre field.

Of past played I would have loved to have seen Paul or Declan tried at six .. but we now have a plethora of backs... I know Donaghy has advocated Seanie to Centre field, I do think he will end up there in time and saw him give Maher enough of it few years back in a championship game when he was only 19.. as for your direct question, I don't think Jack could do a job for us at CB, I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but that's my gut feeling on the topic..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 14/10/2020 19:44:33    2297638

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Barry at centre back is not the craziest thing I have ever heard, it was floated here before a few times. Moran / O'Shea midfield with Diarmuid O'Connor or Adrian Spillane helping out from the half forward line should break even with most teams at midfield also."
Could playing midfield affect Seánies free taking Gerry? I felt that it did for Sheehan when he moved to the middle, you're using more energy where when Seánie plays centrforward he can move in and out from the full forward line.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 14/10/2020 21:04:28    2297650

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Could playing midfield affect Seánies free taking Gerry? I felt that it did for Sheehan when he moved to the middle, you're using more energy where when Seánie plays centrforward he can move in and out from the full forward line."
Interesting point Kingdomboy.

Here how do you sign up for this stream for Saturday, its not through the crowd the County Board were using for the club games is it?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 14/10/2020 22:06:46    2297658

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Could playing midfield affect Seánies free taking Gerry? I felt that it did for Sheehan when he moved to the middle, you're using more energy where when Seánie plays centrforward he can move in and out from the full forward line."
I think Seanie is the ideal forty yard man, and he is the only one that has fitted in since Declan walked away in 2014. Still relatively young he is a serious player for Kerry, and I rate as a par with a Clifford. DC will produce the magic but Seanie gives you the consistency. Put it this way, if we win a free within forty yards, we all expect the white flag to raise.. no pressure eh.

I do think we will be moved to midfield eventually unless other options materialize, I was though very impressed with our U10 pairing earlier in the year.

Back to JB at centre back, I was be impressed with our U20 centre back in the Munster final, think his name was Casey if I'm not mistaken..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 14/10/2020 22:08:23    2297659

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "FYou have often heard my opinion on players positions and centre back has often been touted as a position for various players that played further out the field, I know K'boy and I has a long lasting joke about Maher but apart from him various other midfielders have been quoted as possible options, Moran, Tommy Walsh (and the saying that drives my nut... surges didn't his father play centre and full back), others like Donnqchadh and now Jack Barry.

For what it's worth this is my opinion.. the centre back role has evolved, the days of the 'stopper' are long gone but a physical presence is a requirement, what was once the block has been replaced. The modern centre back must still be physical, be an exemplary and attitude reader of the game and be fast both mentally and physically. The centre back must be light in the toes, able to swivel and change direction sharply, be very comfortable on the ball, strong tackler and have in his locker the ability to give the perfect pass..

Barry has a lot of these qualities, strong, good tackler can read the game, but he lacks the sharpness, the speed capability and the deft touch... to me he is better suited to centre field.

Of past played I would have loved to have seen Paul or Declan tried at six .. but we now have a plethora of backs... I know Donaghy has advocated Seanie to Centre field, I do think he will end up there in time and saw him give Maher enough of it few years back in a championship game when he was only 19.. as for your direct question, I don't think Jack could do a job for us at CB, I'm not saying I'm right or wrong but that's my gut feeling on the topic.."
I take your point Horsebox but I for one would like to see him there for a trial. Gaviin Crowley imo not the answer to CB.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 634 - 14/10/2020 22:11:24    2297660

Link

Was there not a thread on the main page today with some WUM biging up Kerry's chances, where did it go?

Did the usual shower get it pulled down with the usual we hate Kerry vitriol?

Never change as one of them likes to put it ;D

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 14/10/2020 22:12:16    2297661

Link