Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "You don't have Murphy on that backline. Would you have him in the forwards. Imo he has to be on team"
Fook i forgot Murphy, well then it would have to be Peter Crowley Morley Sherwood, Paul Murphy Gavin Crowley Tom Sullivan, I think Kerry 15 or horse might have picked this defense above all ready but it looks strong then you'd have White O'Beaglaoich Graham Ó'Sullivan Enright Foley as back up.

Considering these Covid times I'd hope PK will have extra lads in training a plan B so to speak incase we have cases.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 11/10/2020 17:23:22    2296842

Link

Jesus ai keep forgetting Briòn O'Beagleach and I wouldn't mind but I have great time for him ns think he is well worth a starting berth.

I'm struggling to fit all my players into my six back positions.

Would we all agree with a starting front six of Paudie Clifford, Seanie Shea, Stephen O'Brien, Paul Geaney, David Clifford and one of Killian Spillane/Tony Brosnan.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 11/10/2020 19:22:21    2296857

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Jesus ai keep forgetting Briòn O'Beagleach and I wouldn't mind but I have great time for him ns think he is well worth a starting berth.

Would we all agree with a starting front six of Paudie Clifford, Seanie Shea, Stephen O'Brien, Paul Geaney, David Clifford and one of Killian Spillane/Tony Brosnan."
Close enough Horse with maybe Paudie s spot debatable as in we might need a defensive/midfielder in half forward line like Adrian Spillane

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 11/10/2020 19:38:36    2296860

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Close enough Horse with maybe Paudie s spot debatable as in we might need a defensive/midfielder in half forward line like Adrian Spillane"
Just listening back there to the weekend sport radio kerry podcast, John drummy mentioned a possible kerry fifteen quoted in last weeks kerry man, does anyone have a copy of the paper and could throw up the XV.

They also mentioned that we played Limerick in a recent challenge and won well... any one have any details on that?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 11/10/2020 21:27:20    2296874

Link

Morley and Tom Sullivan were very solid in the full back line last year, wouldn't move either of them. Who plays the other corner is the question for me, I'd worry about Peter Crowleys pace coming back from that injury, Foley perhaps will get the benefit of the doubt but Graham Sull and O'Beaglaoich are both in with a shout.

My back six FWIW

Foley, Morley, T. Sullivan
Crowley, Sherwood, Murphy

I'd agree with CiarraiMick in that Morley, Sullivan and Murphy are locks to start, the other three positions are up for grabs to an extent.

They were very reluctant to start Sherwood in 2019, he made a big impact around the middle from the bench on several occasions. Perhaps they see that as his role? I would have him in from the start personally.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 11/10/2020 22:41:34    2296894

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Jesus ai keep forgetting Briòn O'Beagleach and I wouldn't mind but I have great time for him ns think he is well worth a starting berth.

Would we all agree with a starting front six of Paudie Clifford, Seanie Shea, Stephen O'Brien, Paul Geaney, David Clifford and one of Killian Spillane/Tony Brosnan."
Don't worry about it horse I forgot Paul Murphy for godsake.

And no I don't get the kerryman only very rarely. Would be good to hear that 15 though.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 12/10/2020 07:52:53    2296911

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Morley and Tom Sullivan were very solid in the full back line last year, wouldn't move either of them. Who plays the other corner is the question for me, I'd worry about Peter Crowleys pace coming back from that injury, Foley perhaps will get the benefit of the doubt but Graham Sull and O'Beaglaoich are both in with a shout.

My back six FWIW

I'd agree with CiarraiMick in that Morley, Sullivan and Murphy are locks to start, the other three positions are up for grabs to an extent.

They were very reluctant to start Sherwood in 2019, he made a big impact around the middle from the bench on several occasions. Perhaps they see that as his role? I would have him in from the start personally."
That's true Gerry, Tom was our best man marker last season which will probably see him playing corner back.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 12/10/2020 11:12:54    2296947

Link

Its very exciting thinking who might or might not be named on Friday night, I wonder will there be any bolts from the blue. Its such a strange situation and its been such a gap I suppose we can't really look back on last spring as any sort of form guide.

For those of us who were there, huddled up in a bitterly cold McHale Park at the very end of February, the team had made a real statement of intent with their first half display and some of the younger figures had begun to seriously put their hand up for contention.

I think I had referenced Gavin White's performance as outstanding that day in Castlebar.

Fast forward 8 months and it will be fascinating to see who know can make the biggest claims to a starting jersey in these last two League games.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 12/10/2020 14:30:26    2297005

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Morley and Tom Sullivan were very solid in the full back line last year, wouldn't move either of them. Who plays the other corner is the question for me, I'd worry about Peter Crowleys pace coming back from that injury, Foley perhaps will get the benefit of the doubt but Graham Sull and O'Beaglaoich are both in with a shout.

My back six FWIW

They were very reluctant to start Sherwood in 2019, he made a big impact around the middle from the bench on several occasions. Perhaps they see that as his role? I would have him in from the start personally."
Ya I'd be of the same opinion of leaving Morley and O'Sullivan in the full back line. I can never understand the desire from some to move Tom O'Sullivan to the half back line. Yes he is good attacking but we've plenty who are good at that while he's a fantastic man marking corner back which we don't have too many of.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 12/10/2020 16:30:35    2297047

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya I'd be of the same opinion of leaving Morley and O'Sullivan in the full back line. I can never understand the desire from some to move Tom O'Sullivan to the half back line. Yes he is good attacking but we've plenty who are good at that while he's a fantastic man marking corner back which we don't have too many of."
I agree both Tom and Morley good man markers but both conceded 4 points off their opponents in last years final replay and I just feel Tom would be more of an asset to us in the half back line but in any case he has to be on the first fifteen. Hopefully Croke Park allow County teams have a bigger extended panel also because we all nearly certain to lose players due covid circumstances during the campaign. Of course that's assuming we get over Cork first.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 12/10/2020 21:18:56    2297132

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I agree both Tom and Morley good man markers but both conceded 4 points off their opponents in last years final replay and I just feel Tom would be more of an asset to us in the half back line but in any case he has to be on the first fifteen. Hopefully Croke Park allow County teams have a bigger extended panel also because we all nearly certain to lose players due covid circumstances during the campaign. Of course that's assuming we get over Cork first."
Four points off the likes of O'Callaghan and Rock is not bad going considering the way that game went. I think there is a steep drop off from Tom and Tadhg to the next best options in the full back line quite honestly.

Tom hadn't conceded a score from play to a direct opponent until last years final and he held Con to a point the first day out as well. He was easily the best corner back in last years championship and probably the best defender overall. It would be a big ask to expect that level of performance again but I still think his best role from a team point of view is at corner back covering the oppositions biggest scoring threat.

He is unbelievably dynamic and dangerous from wing back so I understand the desire to move him but there are plenty of others can can give you almost the same production there, whereas if you put somebody else in the corner and they get roasted it could cost you the game.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 12/10/2020 21:48:19    2297137

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "Four points off the likes of O'Callaghan and Rock is not bad going considering the way that game went. I think there is a steep drop off from Tom and Tadhg to the next best options in the full back line quite honestly.

Tom hadn't conceded a score from play to a direct opponent until last years final and he held Con to a point the first day out as well. He was easily the best corner back in last years championship and probably the best defender overall. It would be a big ask to expect that level of performance again but I still think his best role from a team point of view is at corner back covering the oppositions biggest scoring threat.

He is unbelievably dynamic and dangerous from wing back so I understand the desire to move him but there are plenty of others can can give you almost the same production there, whereas if you put somebody else in the corner and they get roasted it could cost you the game."
Now after reading your post I can see your viewpoint being very valid. Yes Morley and Tom are prob our two best man markers alright. Maybe Foley might step up or Peter Crowley and maybe there s more in Enright. Shane got roasted a few times but he still strong and a good footballer. Marc Ó Sé one of the best corner backs ever but I've seen him being roasted on a few occasions too so who knows

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 12/10/2020 22:50:14    2297147

Link

Throw Tom Leo in corner back. Pete Crowley will be massive addition this year.

Kerry4sam2020 (Kerry) - Posts: 4 - 13/10/2020 12:49:58    2297234

Link

GeniusGerry your post make perfect sense with regard to Tom Sullivan and Morley,. It's hard to argue with any aspect of it.

Just flicking through the examiner and came across this " A trio of Cork footballers have been ruled out for the rest of the Inter County campaign - The Irish Examiner reports that Ciaran Sheehan (knee), Tomás Clancy (knee and achilles) and Kevin Crowley (shoulder) will miss Cork's forthcoming fixtures.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 13/10/2020 12:58:34    2297239

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Now after reading your post I can see your viewpoint being very valid. Yes Morley and Tom are prob our two best man markers alright. Maybe Foley might step up or Peter Crowley and maybe there s more in Enright. Shane got roasted a few times but he still strong and a good footballer. Marc Ó Sé one of the best corner backs ever but I've seen him being roasted on a few occasions too so who knows"
The system Kerry are going to play under Keane asks a lot of the man markers and we need to accept that not everyone is going to lock down their man every game, all you can do is try to get your matchups right. I'd persist with Jason Foley personally, he has struggled a bit but he has a bit of experience now and he has all the physical tools to succeed there. If it's not working they can always make a change but there is nobody jumping off the page for me when I look at the panel. I seem to remember Tom O'Sullivan (00's version) and Marc O'Se having similar struggles early in their careers as you have pointed out.

In fact I don't know a single defender ever that wasn't beaten and struggling to contain their man at some stage. If it's happening regularly you have a problem however.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 13/10/2020 13:32:13    2297259

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "GeniusGerry your post make perfect sense with regard to Tom Sullivan and Morley,. It's hard to argue with any aspect of it.

Just flicking through the examiner and came across this " A trio of Cork footballers have been ruled out for the rest of the Inter County campaign - The Irish Examiner reports that Ciaran Sheehan (knee), Tomás Clancy (knee and achilles) and Kevin Crowley (shoulder) will miss Cork's forthcoming fixtures."
3 big losses for Cork there horse but 3 great opportunities for 3 younger lads to gain some experience.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 13/10/2020 14:14:48    2297278

Link

Replying To GeniusGerry:  "The system Kerry are going to play under Keane asks a lot of the man markers and we need to accept that not everyone is going to lock down their man every game, all you can do is try to get your matchups right. I'd persist with Jason Foley personally, he has struggled a bit but he has a bit of experience now and he has all the physical tools to succeed there. If it's not working they can always make a change but there is nobody jumping off the page for me when I look at the panel. I seem to remember Tom O'Sullivan (00's version) and Marc O'Se having similar struggles early in their careers as you have pointed out.

In fact I don't know a single defender ever that wasn't beaten and struggling to contain their man at some stage. If it's happening regularly you have a problem however."
Good post Gerry and I'm more upbeat now. True alot of great corner backs have struggled at times. It's a very vulnerable position. I recall Tomás Ó Sé getting roasted in his first championship game by Aidan Dorgan of Cork and he became an all star half back. Great corner backs like Anthony Lynch Marc and even Paudie Lynch and Mick Spillane struggled at times. You could be right about Foley. He has the height and loads of speed. A friend from home reckoned 3 years ago he will be a fab back for Kerry(and he usually a good judge). I really think that if we beat Cork it sets us up nicely. As Kingdomboy said also Cork have had bad luck with the loss of 3 good players. However with this covid we could lose players quickly ourselves

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 13/10/2020 15:13:51    2297295

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Good post Gerry and I'm more upbeat now. True alot of great corner backs have struggled at times. It's a very vulnerable position. I recall Tomás Ó Sé getting roasted in his first championship game by Aidan Dorgan of Cork and he became an all star half back. Great corner backs like Anthony Lynch Marc and even Paudie Lynch and Mick Spillane struggled at times. You could be right about Foley. He has the height and loads of speed. A friend from home reckoned 3 years ago he will be a fab back for Kerry(and he usually a good judge). I really think that if we beat Cork it sets us up nicely. As Kingdomboy said also Cork have had bad luck with the loss of 3 good players. However with this covid we could lose players quickly ourselves"
It'll be a walk in the Páirc for Kerry. Cork are a Division 3 team for a reason, and without those three players are closer to a Div. 4 side. I'm sure we'll hear lots of ould guff out of the Kerry crowd in the next few weeks, about how dangerous a tie it is, and that's it is knock-out. That's the only thing that makes it any way interesting, that it is knockout.

If Kerry can't overcome a Div. 3 side, then ye've no business progressing any further anyway.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 32 - 13/10/2020 18:06:15    2297336

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "It'll be a walk in the Páirc for Kerry. Cork are a Division 3 team for a reason, and without those three players are closer to a Div. 4 side. I'm sure we'll hear lots of ould guff out of the Kerry crowd in the next few weeks, about how dangerous a tie it is, and that's it is knock-out. That's the only thing that makes it any way interesting, that it is knockout.

If Kerry can't overcome a Div. 3 side, then ye've no business progressing any further anyway."
No walk in the Páirc. And Cork are a div 2 team or will be by the time Kerry play them. Also you ré stating the obvious that if we don't beat them we ve no business progressing as there is no back door. Same for Donegal /Tyrone they have no business progressing if they can't beat each other. Kerry should win but its not as clearcut as some think.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 13/10/2020 18:13:36    2297337

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "It'll be a walk in the Páirc for Kerry. Cork are a Division 3 team for a reason, and without those three players are closer to a Div. 4 side. I'm sure we'll hear lots of ould guff out of the Kerry crowd in the next few weeks, about how dangerous a tie it is, and that's it is knock-out. That's the only thing that makes it any way interesting, that it is knockout.

If Kerry can't overcome a Div. 3 side, then ye've no business progressing any further anyway."
Technically Cork will be a division 2 side when we play them on the 8 of November.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 13/10/2020 18:17:24    2297340

Link