Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheHermit:  "You must have been close to me so Kingdomboy, was on the Hill too near enough the goal.

You were better off Horse watching from afar I tell you it was fairly depressing sitting on the concrete terrace with the light fading and the sea of white below on the pitch going mad. Think I was one of the few Kerry fans that was left by the time the cup was lifted, our supporters that day made a quick exit for home.

I think I just walked back through Dublin city centre after and it was like there hadn't been a final on at all it seemed that quite, but maybe that was just me lost in my own sorrows! All I did was buy a six-pack in the shop and just went back to the place I was renting as a student. I'd say I was in bed by half-ten!!

2006, now there was a day and night and weekend!!"
Ah ya 06-08 were great weekends, went to the after match parties those years, even though we lost the 08 party was unreal..

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 02/10/2020 20:45:09    2295374

Link

I was lower Hogan near Nally in 05. I've been lucky enough to have been at every Kerry all ireland appearance since 75 when I was on my father's knee. A child did nt need a ticket those times.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 631 - 02/10/2020 20:58:53    2295378

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "You must have been close to me so Kingdomboy, was on the Hill too near enough the goal.

You were better off Horse watching from afar I tell you it was fairly depressing sitting on the concrete terrace with the light fading and the sea of white below on the pitch going mad. Think I was one of the few Kerry fans that was left by the time the cup was lifted, our supporters that day made a quick exit for home.

I think I just walked back through Dublin city centre after and it was like there hadn't been a final on at all it seemed that quite, but maybe that was just me lost in my own sorrows! All I did was buy a six-pack in the shop and just went back to the place I was renting as a student. I'd say I was in bed by half-ten!!

2006, now there was a day and night and weekend!!"
We were around the same place so the hermit so you might remember this as well but did 2 of the Tyrone points look a bit iffy to you as it did to me and lads around us? They looked wide and the umpires looked stumped but the Tyrone fans started roaring and the umpire raised the flag.

It mattered little at the end as we lost by 3 anyway but I often thought if we were chasing a point rather than a goal things could have been different but that's sport.

The noughties were great times, loads of matches and road trips and drinking sessions, great battles with the neighbours in cork and even limerick, great battles with Armagh Tyrone and even Monaghan.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 02/10/2020 23:50:23    2295397

Link

Ah damn - ball looking dodgy again...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 04/10/2020 21:32:37    2295685

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ah damn - ball looking dodgy again..."
It's gone horse, nó football if we go to level 5 which looks definite at this stage as the government won't go against nephet.

Sickner.

Long winter ahead now.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 04/10/2020 21:44:50    2295688

Link

Yeah I was never convinced we'd have a championship, not that you'd have to be Nostradamus to predict that. Let's hope we are back up and running in the spring.

Going to be a long winter for sure. The American Football on Sunday nights is keeping me going but even that is looking dodgy now with some games cancelled this weekend

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 04/10/2020 22:24:16    2295694

Link

So out of the blue, it doesn't make sense in my opinion. I hope so much that that the government at least don't go as extreme as they are suggesting. To have the inter county taken away from us at this stage would be absolutely sickening. If this comes to pass it'll be the most depressing thing ever.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 04/10/2020 22:42:02    2295701

Link

Christ its depressing alright, you just wonder what this will do to people's mental health being forced into another lockdown with the cold wet winter nights upon us.

No Championship they'll probably be no Christmas either!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 05/10/2020 08:43:44    2295718

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Christ its depressing alright, you just wonder what this will do to people's mental health being forced into another lockdown with the cold wet winter nights upon us.

No Championship they'll probably be no Christmas either!"
A total diaster, but a disaster of the governments own making, allowing people in from abroad and allowing people to travel to different counties for holidays as well.

Poor people with mental health issues will be under serious pressure if it goes ahead.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 05/10/2020 11:13:48    2295751

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Christ its depressing alright, you just wonder what this will do to people's mental health being forced into another lockdown with the cold wet winter nights upon us.

So level 3, does this mean football is going ahead?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 05/10/2020 16:58:50    2295869

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "So level 3, does this mean football is going ahead?"
Elite sport can go ahead. So thankfully it looks like it the Inter County will go ahead. Senior as in adult club games are actually also considered elite so that'll be the GAA's decision.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 05/10/2020 20:07:43    2295911

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Elite sport can go ahead. So thankfully it looks like it the Inter County will go ahead. Senior as in adult club games are actually also considered elite so that'll be the GAA's decision."
Noice, let's hope everyone cops on now and we can shorten the winter a bit.

I watched Kerry v dubs from the 2019 league in tralee last night and the difference in physique in Diarmuid O'Connor from that night to when I saw him in this years county championship is unreal, he could be a big weapon for us this year. Fingers crossed.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11738 - 05/10/2020 21:07:37    2295926

Link

Well hermit looks like the traditional NK final could be back on the cards, all roads could lead to Listowel on St. Stephen's day....

Intercounty senior so is still a possibility, does that include minor and U20's can anyone answer me?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 05/10/2020 21:18:32    2295929

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Well hermit looks like the traditional NK final could be back on the cards, all roads could lead to Listowel on St. Stephen's day....

Intercounty senior so is still a possibility, does that include minor and U20's can anyone answer me?"
Yes same goes for minor and U20.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 05/10/2020 22:41:34    2295958

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Yes same goes for minor and U20."
Thanks kerry15 , i was unsure a couldn't see anywhere. I was think was minor now being U17 classed as underage.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 05/10/2020 22:52:33    2295962

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Noice, let's hope everyone cops on now and we can shorten the winter a bit.

I watched Kerry v dubs from the 2019 league in tralee last night and the difference in physique in Diarmuid O'Connor from that night to when I saw him in this years county championship is unreal, he could be a big weapon for us this year. Fingers crossed."
Ya K'boy I watch that game recently myself, the team that night had good balance in defence O'Beagleach, Sherwood, Peter Crowley, Paul, Tadgh and Tom Sullivan - Sherwood had a great great game that night scoring the opening point and Crowley got the winner.

Adrain and Jack were centre field and Moran came in. Gavin O'Brien played really well thst night but for me he drifts in and out of games.

Jez you must be as bad as myself for sky plus. I watched the Tyrone semi there last week down 6 at HT but rreally turned it. Game of the year last year for me was the super 8 vs Donegal now that was a cracker for excitement and open attacking ball- just two teams going for it hell for leather

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 05/10/2020 23:03:22    2295964

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Noice, let's hope everyone cops on now and we can shorten the winter a bit.

I watched Kerry v dubs from the 2019 league in tralee last night and the difference in physique in Diarmuid O'Connor from that night to when I saw him in this years county championship is unreal, he could be a big weapon for us this year. Fingers crossed."
I think Kerry have several players like that that haven't fully filled out yet, guys like Gavin White and Jason Foley, O'Beaglaoich and a few others. It's usually around 24-25 when players start to reach their full potential at this level, bar the odd outlier like Clifford or Con O'Callaghan. I was hoping some of them would take a step forward again in 2020 but with everything that has happened who knows.

Didn't realise IC was deemed to be elite sports I thought for some reason that that referred to high performance athletes in athletics, boxing etc. I thought the GAA suspended all activity yesterday?

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 06/10/2020 08:21:52    2295979

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Well hermit looks like the traditional NK final could be back on the cards, all roads could lead to Listowel on St. Stephen's day....

Intercounty senior so is still a possibility, does that include minor and U20's can anyone answer me?"
St Stephen's day seems like a long time away at the moment Horse. Will there even be a Christmas at this stage????

Had no idea Desmonds had such a set-up this year, so they could well be the team to beat. Like you say they've never been too pushed about the NK so you'd often forget about them. I always found it strange that Castleisland were even part of the NK Championship. To my mind Stack Mt is the southern border and anything over it is really East Kerry.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 06/10/2020 08:38:58    2295980

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "St Stephen's day seems like a long time away at the moment Horse. Will there even be a Christmas at this stage????

Had no idea Desmonds had such a set-up this year, so they could well be the team to beat. Like you say they've never been too pushed about the NK so you'd often forget about them. I always found it strange that Castleisland were even part of the NK Championship. To my mind Stack Mt is the southern border and anything over it is really East Kerry."
Ya Desmond's have been bubbling up nicely for last three or four years. But ya have to agree with you in regard to location, Brosna and Desmond's are in NK championship, but St Kierans for County championship, considering how close Scart and Cordal are to Castleisland it's a bit of unbalanced.

I think the county board should reshape the county divisional wise, considering South and a East Kerry compared to West and the old Kenmare district then there is the joke that is Feale and Shannon Rangers.

Personally I would dispense with the intermediate winners going senior. Championhsip should be every club team in division one of the county leagues with the divisional teams....

That way win promotion to division one you play senior county championship.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 06/10/2020 13:33:59    2296056

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ya Desmond's have been bubbling up nicely for last three or four years. But ya have to agree with you in regard to location, Brosna and Desmond's are in NK championship, but St Kierans for County championship, considering how close Scart and Cordal are to Castleisland it's a bit of unbalanced.

I think the county board should reshape the county divisional wise, considering South and a East Kerry compared to West and the old Kenmare district then there is the joke that is Feale and Shannon Rangers.

Personally I would dispense with the intermediate winners going senior. Championhsip should be every club team in division one of the county leagues with the divisional teams....

That way win promotion to division one you play senior county championship."
Good idea Horsebox although I suppose the intermediate winners would feel hard done by. Also the two rangers in NK need a change maybe even unite for the championship as they have gone backwards big time. Sad to see as I remember both Shannon and Feale rangers being big teams in the county championship. I know Feale Rangers won in 07 or thereabout but maybe its worth both joining up.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 631 - 06/10/2020 16:14:20    2296096

Link