Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

On the long-term injury list. Well long term last match ' Donal O'Sullivan the U20 full forward.. any update on him... secondly with the county Final a week away DC will be back in situ.. what is the story with Liam Kearney- there has been no mentoon on any forums, radio or local papers.

Does anyone else find this strange, the silence considering he is an inter county player???

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 19/09/2020 23:10:15    2293101

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "On the long-term injury list. Well long term last match ' Donal O'Sullivan the U20 full forward.. any update on him... secondly with the county Final a week away DC will be back in situ.. what is the story with Liam Kearney- there has been no mentoon on any forums, radio or local papers.

Does anyone else find this strange, the silence considering he is an inter county player???"
Yes very strange about news on Kearney considering he played for the county during the league. Have nt heard a word on Dónal Ó Sullivan. Hopefully he is recovered as he s very important to our quest for an u21 title. We have got no return nationally yet from our minor winning teams from 2014 onwards so hopefully this year we can win u 20 title although it will be tough.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 20/09/2020 10:37:39    2293144

Link

Donal O'Sullivan hasn't been playing in the games I've seen reports on for Kilgarvan both football and hurling. I presume he is still injured which makes it a very long term injury. It doesn't look too good that he'll be back for the u20s, a big loss.

Another huge loss for them is Dan McCarthy of Kenmare who did the cruciate. Jack Kennelly of Ballydonoghue appears to be playing well for them is a player who was injured for the Munster Final who could be a possibility for selection for the semi final.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 20/09/2020 11:29:51    2293152

Link

That does nt sound good about Dónal Ó Sullivan and Dan McCarthy big loss too. An u 20 title would do wonders for Kerry. I always felt while minor is great its the under 20 s u 21 s etc that really show the way forward.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 632 - 20/09/2020 13:15:56    2293167

Link

County hurling final day. And a glorious one at that, tough not to be able to wander in and see the lay of the land. Should be a good one anyway, two very evenly matched sides.

I was having a few socially distanced drinks last night, one of the lads was saying they're going to be redeveloping the Horan end side of Austin Stacks over the winter, they're doing the same as the either side, concrete terracing with a roof on it.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 20/09/2020 13:24:46    2293170

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "County hurling final day. And a glorious one at that, tough not to be able to wander in and see the lay of the land. Should be a good one anyway, two very evenly matched sides.

I was having a few socially distanced drinks last night, one of the lads was saying they're going to be redeveloping the Horan end side of Austin Stacks over the winter, they're doing the same as the either side, concrete terracing with a roof on it."
It's no harm to terrace the Horan's end, although i don't know would a similar 'shed' type stand be as effective as 90% of the time the wind and rain comes straight from the Mitchels side blowing direct into the Horan's end.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 20/09/2020 15:22:38    2293195

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Donal O'Sullivan hasn't been playing in the games I've seen reports on for Kilgarvan both football and hurling. I presume he is still injured which makes it a very long term injury. It doesn't look too good that he'll be back for the u20s, a big loss.

Another huge loss for them is Dan McCarthy of Kenmare who did the cruciate. Jack Kennelly of Ballydonoghue appears to be playing well for them is a player who was injured for the Munster Final who could be a possibility for selection for the semi final."
That's excellent news about Brosnan and hopefully he'll be given a shot but not such great news about Donal Down, he's a gifted forward but haunted with injuries, Dan Mccarthy was looking a big find until his injury.

Any news on a senior squad?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 20/09/2020 20:23:47    2293254

Link

Sounded like a great county final today, Causeway looked dead and buried at half time but made the mother of all comebacks to draw level but fair play to Kilmoyley they railled and saw it home with 3 to spare.

Kilmoyley now have 25 titles, and move ahead of Ballyduff to claim top spot on the roll of honour!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 20/09/2020 20:54:16    2293264

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "It's no harm to terrace the Horan's end, although i don't know would a similar 'shed' type stand be as effective as 90% of the time the wind and rain comes straight from the Mitchels side blowing direct into the Horan's end."
The gaa might send us down the perspex sheeting they have in front of hill16 horse since they're considering seating the hill due to Covid that would keep out the wind and rain.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 20/09/2020 21:14:10    2293278

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Sounded like a great county final today, Causeway looked dead and buried at half time but made the mother of all comebacks to draw level but fair play to Kilmoyley they railled and saw it home with 3 to spare.

Kilmoyley now have 25 titles, and move ahead of Ballyduff to claim top spot on the roll of honour!"
As a man of Ballyduff lineage, I have to correct the record on this one!

1. Kilmoyley won by one point, not three
2. Kilmoyley and Ballyduff now have 25 titles each, with Kilmoyley moving level with Ballyduff after today.

That is all! ;)

SecretsOfFatima (Kerry) - Posts: 63 - 20/09/2020 21:16:31    2293282

Link

From this weeks Kerry's Eye Sport section: "Peter Keane has called up three new players to the Kerry senior football panel as preparations begin for Kerry's League and Championship campaigns which will be staged in the final three months of the calendar year.
Mike Breen (Beaufort), Joseph O'Connor (Austin Stacks) and Kevin O'Sullivan (Kenmare Shamrocks) are the trio who got the call-up based on their performances in the recent Club and County Championships"

In fairness all there are played well and consistently Starred for their club or division in recent games.. the only one that I've heard mentioned outside these trio is young McGuire the ex Emmets man who is playing well in the Dublin county championship,

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 23/09/2020 20:44:52    2293835

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "From this weeks Kerry's Eye Sport section: "Peter Keane has called up three new players to the Kerry senior football panel as preparations begin for Kerry's League and Championship campaigns which will be staged in the final three months of the calendar year.
Mike Breen (Beaufort), Joseph O'Connor (Austin Stacks) and Kevin O'Sullivan (Kenmare Shamrocks) are the trio who got the call-up based on their performances in the recent Club and County Championships"

In fairness all there are played well and consistently Starred for their club or division in recent games.. the only one that I've heard mentioned outside these trio is young McGuire the ex Emmets man who is playing well in the Dublin county championship,"
Interesting. As you say all 3 were impressive in the club action and have earned their call up. I mentioned Breen and O'Connor when speculating on who could have been called in. Kevin O'Sullivan isn't a player who came into my head. He has been outstanding at midfield for Kenmare though alongside the other O'Sullivan who I presume is his brother. The main thing that stood out to me about him is he has a great engine. Something to note is he never played minor or u21 for Kerry, just interesting to see how players develop at different rates. No harm having him inside to see how he fares. With 2 midfielders added to the panel, we have a lot of midfielders inside, 7 now by my reckoning.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 23/09/2020 22:47:40    2293845

Link

Any word on Tony Brosnan lads? He's probably still not 100% after the collapsed lung.

Paud Clifford?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 24/09/2020 08:10:07    2293860

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Interesting. As you say all 3 were impressive in the club action and have earned their call up. I mentioned Breen and O'Connor when speculating on who could have been called in. Kevin O'Sullivan isn't a player who came into my head. He has been outstanding at midfield for Kenmare though alongside the other O'Sullivan who I presume is his brother. The main thing that stood out to me about him is he has a great engine. Something to note is he never played minor or u21 for Kerry, just interesting to see how players develop at different rates. No harm having him inside to see how he fares. With 2 midfielders added to the panel, we have a lot of midfielders inside, 7 now by my reckoning."
Ya that's a lot, but in fairness only Moran and Jack Barry are our and out centerfielders. Jack Sherwood can play full or centre back, Adrain Spillane and Diarmuid O'Connor both can play in the wings. Liam Kearney is a pigeon holed mid fielder but in his absence for East Kerry I don't know is he still inside- now we add in two more in Kevin Sullivan and O'Connor.

I though Darragh Roche might have got a call in. Back to next Saturday.. a lot of questions regarding capabilities may be answered come final whistle. Breen vs Paudie, Dara Moynihan vs Kilkenny and I'm guessing Peter Crowley will revert back on DC. Similar other side of field, Sherwood vs Carey will be a tester. Still East look too strong and even though some think they were poor vs Brendans. I though it was text book.. bypassed the main 2 Brendans county players, play a high line when required and catch on break... they looked more cohesive and like a club outfit.

I also think that Moran my not be starting many games for us this year and may come in for more a holding role last waterbreak....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 24/09/2020 08:59:25    2293863

Link

Alright lads, looking forward to Saturday's game now!
Predictions?
You seem to think East Kerry are strong favorites Horse.

What are the bookies saying?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 24/09/2020 22:00:58    2293973

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Alright lads, looking forward to Saturday's game now!
Predictions?

What are the bookies saying?"
East kerry at a canter I'd say the hermit.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 25/09/2020 07:50:38    2293977

Link

Today's examiner: " It has been confirmed that a number of players have left the panel, the most notable being Kevin McCarthy of Kilcummin".

Anyone have anything or anyone to add to this?

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 25/09/2020 08:48:31    2293980

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Alright lads, looking forward to Saturday's game now!
Predictions?

What are the bookies saying?"
I wouldn't say strong strong favourites, but they do hold a hell of a lot if aces even on the bench players like Daniel O'Brien all ireland minor and junior, fully fit and can't make the starting 15.

East can play wide or narrow, Kerry players in every line of the field and more importantly have the experience. They won their semi in 2nd gear.

Mid Kerry have always been a sleeping giant.. every couple of years they raise their head win and dissppear again.. 1992 and 2008 spring to mind.

They've a nice panel and play tight but there may not be enough fingers to plug the dam. Like I said above earlier some interesting clashes that may decide it, the semi win against Crokes will give belief but for me, East by 4-5 points. I think the bookies have the spread at 5.. they never too fsr off.

Looking forward to Breen vs Paudie, two players eager to impress their new boss.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 25/09/2020 08:57:16    2293982

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Today's examiner: " It has been confirmed that a number of players have left the panel, the most notable being Kevin McCarthy of Kilcummin".

Anyone have anything or anyone to add to this?"
I thought McCarthy was gone long ago

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 25/09/2020 09:31:35    2293984

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I thought McCarthy was gone long ago"
Ya I thought that as well, who else has gone I wonder?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 25/09/2020 10:15:18    2293992

Link