Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads can I ask how long have you all been members, I was flicking through old posts and found one from early eleven, kinda shocked me as would have guessed six or seven years but def not nine. And I was reading well before I started contributing. do ye ever flick through the old threads, a lot of knowledgeable people has departed the forum."
I'm trying to think.

When I was in college, I stumbled across the An Fear Rua forum and it certainly helped me to break up the long hours of tedium of study and research etc. Maybe less time on it and more time at the books would have helped the old career develop a little faster but sure what harm!!

I think I would have started posting on An Fear Rua around 2009? I certainly remember having a lot of banter with Cork posters in the run up to that final, An Fear Rua seemed to be a predominantly Munster forum with a lot of hurling too which I liked about it, in contrast to the Hoganstand which seems dominated by Leinster posters, esp Dubs!!

An Fear Rua closed down sometime in 2012, I think. I certainly remember posting on it around the 2011 All-Ireland anyway. I seem to recall the fella that ran it saying it was too much trouble to try and moderate it and make sure noting libel was posted up.
To be honest, I thought it was grand out. Nowhere neither the amount of WUMs, Trolls, fake posters etc that seem to overrun this forum.

I'm guessing then, that I first came on here and started posting at some stage in 2012. I remember trying to find a new forum and started posting on the GAA forum on Boards.ie but I just thought it was too unweildly a place.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 16/07/2020 13:19:30    2284207

Link

I think it was 2010/11 I know I was reading it a couple of years before my wife signed me up, I can't do feck all with computers unfortunately.

Ya the main forum is a cesspool of multiple usernames and crap really, yesterday a fella from cavan went on the wind up saying we have a perpetual easy run to the final every year and bar1 poster nobody said a thing whereas if you say 1 true thing about dublin and you'll get lynched by the mob saying we ruin every thread, but feck it we need to keep speaking the thruth anyway.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 16/07/2020 14:32:13    2284220

Link

Believe it or not I first posted on Hogan Stand in 2009, hard to believe with the total number of posts I have. Rarely ever post but I read the threads on here fairly frequently.
Hermit I told you a long time back that my grandfather trained Crotta when they last won the hurling c'ship in '69.

bernard3 (Kerry) - Posts: 106 - 16/07/2020 21:46:57    2284265

Link

Apologies '68, can just hear Jimín correcting me!!!

bernard3 (Kerry) - Posts: 106 - 16/07/2020 23:17:24    2284275

Link

Replying To bernard3:  "Believe it or not I first posted on Hogan Stand in 2009, hard to believe with the total number of posts I have. Rarely ever post but I read the threads on here fairly frequently.
Hermit I told you a long time back that my grandfather trained Crotta when they last won the hurling c'ship in '69."
I remember, I bet he never thought it would be this long waiting for the next!
Ah sure, we live in hope...

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 17/07/2020 00:25:16    2284278

Link

Apologies '68

bernard3 (Kerry) - Posts: 106 - 17/07/2020 09:31:19    2284285

Link

True, but hope springs eternal. My uncle won 2 with Lixnaw and would you believe my father played in something like twelve different finals between c'ship and league up through the ranks and never won one. When you think that my grandfather and uncle have twelve c'ship medals between them.

bernard3 (Kerry) - Posts: 106 - 17/07/2020 10:10:42    2284293

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads can I ask how long have you all been members, I was flicking through old posts and found one from early eleven, kinda shocked me as would have guessed six or seven years but def not nine. And I was reading well before I started contributing. do ye ever flick through the old threads, a lot of knowledgeable people has departed the forum."
I'd guess 2015 or thereabouts but really don't remember. I used to post on boards.ie but the GAA forum there isn't great tbh.

My patience is wearing kind of think with this place too. It takes forever for posts to appear, the continual baiting of Kerry posters and the bickering on the main page etc. I feel the quality of debate has plummeted on the main page year after year and I could live without the place at this stage if I'm honest. If it wasn't for the Kerry page I probably wouldn't bother checking in any more.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 1960 - 18/07/2020 01:31:17    2284379

Link

Gerry - My patience is wearing kind of think with this place too. It takes forever for posts to appear, the continual baiting of Kerry posters and the bickering on the main page etc. I feel the quality of debate has plummeted on the main page year after year and I could live without the place at this stage if I'm honest. If it wasn't for the Kerry page I probably wouldn't bother checking in any more.

I 100% agree with your post, I have stayed clear of the main forum for a good bit and I primarily just log into the Kerry section but like you the infiltration of knobs just logging in to stir or disrupt any debate is disheartening.

The fact that it is allowed is what is most alarming and as a result I too have debated jumping but in fairness the core of Kerry posters on here are genuine and I enjoy our conversations and interaction.

On another note, I see a lot of tòr about our local gaa charming €5 for an online match, I for one think this is an fabulous idea and actually excellent value. If I was heading to a club game in Killarney, €10 diesel, €10 stile entry Prob €2 for a two page programme and prob a pint after.

Due to lock down I can watch for a fiver, I know there is nothing like being live at a game and seeing what the camera does not pick up but as a poor mans plan B I think this initiative should be commended.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 18/07/2020 10:53:17    2284398

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Gerry - My patience is wearing kind of think with this place too. It takes forever for posts to appear, the continual baiting of Kerry posters and the bickering on the main page etc. I feel the quality of debate has plummeted on the main page year after year and I could live without the place at this stage if I'm honest. If it wasn't for the Kerry page I probably wouldn't bother checking in any more.

I 100% agree with your post, I have stayed clear of the main forum for a good bit and I primarily just log into the Kerry section but like you the infiltration of knobs just logging in to stir or disrupt any debate is disheartening.

The fact that it is allowed is what is most alarming and as a result I too have debated jumping but in fairness the core of Kerry posters on here are genuine and I enjoy our conversations and interaction.

On another note, I see a lot of tòr about our local gaa charming €5 for an online match, I for one think this is an fabulous idea and actually excellent value. If I was heading to a club game in Killarney, €10 diesel, €10 stile entry Prob €2 for a two page programme and prob a pint after.

Due to lock down I can watch for a fiver, I know there is nothing like being live at a game and seeing what the camera does not pick up but as a poor mans plan B I think this initiative should be commended."
Yeah Horse, how can you crib about a fiver?
The CB is taking some financial hit given their main revenue stream is effectively gone for the rest of the year.
They have to try something and €5 to watch two, hopefully quality games, is hardly unreasonable.
I hope they get lots of subscribers and I'm really looking forward to watching the games in the weeks to come.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 18/07/2020 13:59:54    2284417

Link

Lads I listened to Tomás's interview with Paul Galvin, he was very good in fairness, it was very interesting when he said the kerry management missed a trick not playing Maher at centre back and Tomás agreed with him.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/07/2020 13:17:11    2284491

Link

Lads East Kerry are going to be even stronger than I thought! Kilgarvan and Tuosist are going with them as Kenmare District are not entering a team. John Mark Foley and Donal O'Sullivan are I would say the only 2 players capable of getting game time for East Kerry from those 2 clubs. Both are excellent players that you wouldn't be surprised if they made an impact on the inter county scene in the future and they would both strengthen any club or divisional team.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 19/07/2020 15:01:44    2284503

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Lads I listened to Tomás's interview with Paul Galvin, he was very good in fairness, it was very interesting when he said the kerry management missed a trick not playing Maher at centre back and Tomás agreed with him."
Not biting

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 19/07/2020 16:19:11    2284510

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Not biting"
:-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/07/2020 16:59:57    2284517

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Lads East Kerry are going to be even stronger than I thought! Kilgarvan and Tuosist are going with them as Kenmare District are not entering a team. John Mark Foley and Donal O'Sullivan are I would say the only 2 players capable of getting game time for East Kerry from those 2 clubs. Both are excellent players that you wouldn't be surprised if they made an impact on the inter county scene in the future and they would both strengthen any club or divisional team."
Jay's that'll be some east Kerry team but it's a bit of a joke really, sure who can compete with them, how many clubs is that.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/07/2020 17:07:06    2284520

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Jay's that'll be some east Kerry team but it's a bit of a joke really, sure who can compete with them, how many clubs is that."
Ya it's hard to see any team coming near them. Maybe the likes of Stacks or Dingle if they caught them on an off day but I'd still give that only a very small chance.

They've 9 clubs now same as South Kerry but the average club feeding into the East Kerry team are producing a lot more high quality players than their SK equivalent.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 19/07/2020 19:49:37    2284534

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Ya it's hard to see any team coming near them. Maybe the likes of Stacks or Dingle if they caught them on an off day but I'd still give that only a very small chance.

They've 9 clubs now same as South Kerry but the average club feeding into the East Kerry team are producing a lot more high quality players than their SK equivalent."
Ya South kerry will be minus the 2 valentia Ó'Sullivans Brendan and Paul who have joined stacks, they could do damage on a given day crokes will be sticky as well.

With East kerry they have serious depth now and they can afford to lose players to injury and suspension which other teams can't and with such a condensed championship it'll work in their favor for sure.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/07/2020 22:17:58    2284569

Link

Not sure if it's true but I saw on the Kerry Gaa Forum someone saying that St Marys players aren't playing with South Kerry this year. Something to do with them being unhappy over the venue for last year's SK final. That would really weaken them if it materialises.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 20/07/2020 12:23:49    2284609

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Not sure if it's true but I saw on the Kerry Gaa Forum someone saying that St Marys players aren't playing with South Kerry this year. Something to do with them being unhappy over the venue for last year's SK final. That would really weaken them if it materialises."
Ah there will surely be some mediation and they'll be brought back in you would thínk.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 20/07/2020 13:59:32    2284629

Link

Anyone going to attempt to actually go to any of the club games coming up?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 21/07/2020 13:03:49    2284749

Link