Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Being honest K'boy I've been geting more and more disillusioned at the direction the mediator has allowed the forum and threads go down, the introduction of the thumbs has replaced the option of debate where a display of sport opinion could be backed up by honerable or credible discussion - this has now been replaced by a mind numbing symbol. That's not what I'm about. I fear the page will be allowed eride away like a cancer and invaribly end up like an fear rua.

Unfortunately the controllers or majority of contributors don't appear to share my concerns.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 17/04/2020 18:07:04    2276177

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Being honest K'boy I've been geting more and more disillusioned at the direction the mediator has allowed the forum and threads go down, the introduction of the thumbs has replaced the option of debate where a display of sport opinion could be backed up by honerable or credible discussion - this has now been replaced by a mind numbing symbol. That's not what I'm about. I fear the page will be allowed eride away like a cancer and invaribly end up like an fear rua.

Unfortunately the controllers or majority of contributors don't appear to share my concerns."
I know the thumbs add nothing to the forum, being honest i don't take any notice of them myself but your right it's far too easy for the likes of Dr Zhivago and his buddies to pop in and give a ball of red thumbs.

I'd say they're hoping that they'll crack us and make us leave the forum, well that won't happen.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 17/04/2020 19:11:20    2276182

Link

Dr Zhivago indeed, ha ha good one Kingdomboy -
he's no Omar Sherrif anyway!!!!

What a film, that David Lean was some director. Always loved Steven Spielbergs description of Lawrence of Arabia, he called it "a miracle of a film". A pity his Kerry attempt Ryan's Daughter never lived up to the other two.

Did you Lean was such a perfectionist he got Guinness to supply him with bottles as they would have produced in 1916 and he made them apply labels to them that gave the fictional name of the pub and the town in the film, even though the bottles would only be shown in the background, out of focus during the scenes filmed in the pub!
He also spent 6 months trying to capture what he considered the perfect shot of the waves crashing in onto the beach in West Kerry, before he final got feed up and flew with the camera crew all the way down to Cape Town in S Africa to get a shot instead.

Horse, I was a poster on An Fear Rua for a long time before ending up here after it's demise. And your dead right

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 18/04/2020 02:16:38    2276195

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Dr Zhivago indeed, ha ha good one Kingdomboy -
he's no Omar Sherrif anyway!!!!

What a film, that David Lean was some director. Always loved Steven Spielbergs description of Lawrence of Arabia, he called it "a miracle of a film". A pity his Kerry attempt Ryan's Daughter never lived up to the other two.

Did you Lean was such a perfectionist he got Guinness to supply him with bottles as they would have produced in 1916 and he made them apply labels to them that gave the fictional name of the pub and the town in the film, even though the bottles would only be shown in the background, out of focus during the scenes filmed in the pub!
He also spent 6 months trying to capture what he considered the perfect shot of the waves crashing in onto the beach in West Kerry, before he final got feed up and flew with the camera crew all the way down to Cape Town in S Africa to get a shot instead.

Horse, I was a poster on An Fear Rua for a long time before ending up here after it's demise. And your dead right"
That's for sure bud :-)

And it was aan excellent film for sure.

I wasn't a big fan of Ryan's daughter at all as it was a bit before my time but it's a beautiful location, I'd be more of a star wars fan.

Your man lean sounds like he got a little OCD :-)

May the force be with you.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 18/04/2020 15:43:57    2276224

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "That's for sure bud :-)

And it was aan excellent film for sure.

I wasn't a big fan of Ryan's daughter at all as it was a bit before my time but it's a beautiful location, I'd be more of a star wars fan.

Your man lean sounds like he got a little OCD :-)

May the force be with you."
I'd be a big Star Wars fan too - seeing Kerry on the big screen in a galaxy far far away was something special!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 18/04/2020 19:56:51    2276233

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I'd be a big Star Wars fan too - seeing Kerry on the big screen in a galaxy far far away was something special!"
I'm watching all the star wars in sequence with my young fella while this is going on, he's off school so we got the time , we got the Disney chanel which has the clone wars, it's animated but interesting all the same ( but there are 7 seasons so it'll take a while)

And thats for sure, we're truly blessed we come from such a beautiful county and we have such great history.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/04/2020 11:09:03    2276253

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I'm watching all the star wars in sequence with my young fella while this is going on, he's off school so we got the time , we got the Disney chanel which has the clone wars, it's animated but interesting all the same ( but there are 7 seasons so it'll take a while)

And thats for sure, we're truly blessed we come from such a beautiful county and we have such great history."
Dear God Kingdomboy you're surely not going to inflict Attack of the Clones on him???
I never saw the Clone Wars, is that new show the Mandalorian any good?

I signed up for a free trial to Amazon Prime last week to finally see the new Star Trek Picard - I'd be a big Trekkie myself. Probably if I had to choose it would be Star Trek over Star Wars but I love both.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 19/04/2020 12:52:45    2276259

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Dear God Kingdomboy you're surely not going to inflict Attack of the Clones on him???

I signed up for a free trial to Amazon Prime last week to finally see the new Star Trek Picard - I'd be a big Trekkie myself. Probably if I had to choose it would be Star Trek over Star Wars but I love both."
I never heard of the Picard star trek series, but il give it a galk after the star wars, in fairness I'd rather the star trek myself as well.

No we're going to watch all the star wars in sync so we have to attack of the clones yet :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 19/04/2020 18:06:08    2276281

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Dear God Kingdomboy you're surely not going to inflict Attack of the Clones on him???

I signed up for a free trial to Amazon Prime last week to finally see the new Star Trek Picard - I'd be a big Trekkie myself. Probably if I had to choose it would be Star Trek over Star Wars but I love both."
I see the hurlers on the ditch have no love for Star Trek either - is there anything you sad sad men do enjoy?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 20/04/2020 12:24:45    2276319

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "I see the hurlers on the ditch have no love for Star Trek either - is there anything you sad sad men do enjoy?"
They love reading the kerry forum by the looks of it :-)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 20/04/2020 16:18:06    2276333

Link

Well lads don't mind admitting to you I've been fairly down in the dumps these past two days. That Govt announcement was some punch in the guts.
No summer to look forward to now, no gigs, and worst of all no Championship! Even the Rose of Tralee is fecked and you'd have to doubt the pubs opening up again before the autumn either.

You would think in a situation like this you would need to give people something to hold onto, that we know you can't stay stuck at home indefinitely but at the minute that seems to be the plan. I can't see people taking it for much longer, especially now they know that everything they had been planning for the summer is scuppered.

I really believed this summer that Kerry were going to finally bring back Sam after 6 long, hard years. I really did.
One of my friends was texting me last night to say he wasn't that bothered because after Dublin's 5 last September he's kind of done and dusted with the inter-county scene given how they were able to win what they did.

I find it hard not to see he's point at times. Since 2015 its all been a bit of a joke really hasn't it? At the very least why couldn't this pandemic scupper their 5 in a row instead of derailing a new Kerry side that was finally emerging to seriously challenge them.

Aggh maybe I'm overreacting but I was very forlorn and bitter over what happened last September. But the new season started and you began to forget that and concentrate on the excitement and hope of what the summer might bring. Now its gone and your back to the dark clouds of knowing how they won their 5 and the realisation we are totally unable to do anything to avenge it at the minute.

You also can't help but worry how this whole pandemic and its aftermath will seriously affect the Kerry GAA going forward. It could really weaken us and all the other rural counties, and yet again its the Dubs that will benefit from our troubles :(

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 23/04/2020 10:00:07    2276553

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Well lads don't mind admitting to you I've been fairly down in the dumps these past two days. That Govt announcement was some punch in the guts.
No summer to look forward to now, no gigs, and worst of all no Championship! Even the Rose of Tralee is fecked and you'd have to doubt the pubs opening up again before the autumn either.

You would think in a situation like this you would need to give people something to hold onto, that we know you can't stay stuck at home indefinitely but at the minute that seems to be the plan. I can't see people taking it for much longer, especially now they know that everything they had been planning for the summer is scuppered.

I really believed this summer that Kerry were going to finally bring back Sam after 6 long, hard years. I really did.
One of my friends was texting me last night to say he wasn't that bothered because after Dublin's 5 last September he's kind of done and dusted with the inter-county scene given how they were able to win what they did.

I find it hard not to see he's point at times. Since 2015 its all been a bit of a joke really hasn't it? At the very least why couldn't this pandemic scupper their 5 in a row instead of derailing a new Kerry side that was finally emerging to seriously challenge them.

Aggh maybe I'm overreacting but I was very forlorn and bitter over what happened last September. But the new season started and you began to forget that and concentrate on the excitement and hope of what the summer might bring. Now its gone and your back to the dark clouds of knowing how they won their 5 and the realisation we are totally unable to do anything to avenge it at the minute.

You also can't help but worry how this whole pandemic and its aftermath will seriously affect the Kerry GAA going forward. It could really weaken us and all the other rural counties, and yet again its the Dubs that will benefit from our troubles :("
Iv mentioned similar on a few posts over the last few weeks the hermit.

This pandemic is going to really effect all the counties outside of dublin, the dubs are now too big to fail, they will be given extra financial aid without having to ask while the rest of us will go around with cap in hand to try and pick up the scraps , and sure the gaa have already taken over payments of their full time coaches while this is going on.

iv even heard talk that they'll be awarded this year's championship if it doesn't go ahead (and that won't even be their easiest allireland)

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 23/04/2020 11:07:47    2276557

Link

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-altered-season-ticket-refund-terms-after-coronavirus-outbreak-996535.html

Pretty disgraceful stuff from the Grab All Association!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 29/04/2020 09:56:13    2276972

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-altered-season-ticket-refund-terms-after-coronavirus-outbreak-996535.html

Pretty disgraceful stuff from the Grab All Association!"
They must have heard you the hermit as they've decided to do the right thing in the end, pity they had to wait till they were shown up before they acted.

Anyway don't forget to sprinkle the Holy water this evening.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 30/04/2020 20:26:15    2277143

Link

Lads what I think will happen is the county, club and district championships will be played in Kerry but there will be no inter county championship. I do think the last rounds of the league will be played though.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 597 - 02/05/2020 23:52:32    2277338

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "Lads what I think will happen is the county, club and district championships will be played in Kerry but there will be no inter county championship. I do think the last rounds of the league will be played though."
I'd settle for that this year kerry15, ideally I'd love to have it all but I'm not expecting, miracles,

How are we doing with infections in kerry at the minute i wonder?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 03/05/2020 09:26:25    2277340

Link

Got a few messages this morning from some people in the know stating Croke Park are preparing to tell all County Boards to stand down their senior county teams. Apparently they won't consider inter-county competitions until at least October, if at all, and counties will be given a six week notice to resume training if its decided to go ahead with the Championship!
Crazy crazy times!!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5831 - 06/05/2020 11:52:21    2277621

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Got a few messages this morning from some people in the know stating Croke Park are preparing to tell all County Boards to stand down their senior county teams. Apparently they won't consider inter-county competitions until at least October, if at all, and counties will be given a six week notice to resume training if its decided to go ahead with the Championship!
Crazy crazy times!!!"
That's bad news bud, varaadkar is going to look pretty stupid if it's true.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11740 - 06/05/2020 17:01:59    2277641

Link

Lads can I ask how long have you all been members, I was flicking through old posts and found one from early eleven, kinda shocked me as would have guessed six or seven years but def not nine. And I was reading well before I started contributing. do ye ever flick through the old threads, a lot of knowledgeable people has departed the forum.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4878 - 15/07/2020 23:37:33    2284177

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Lads can I ask how long have you all been members, I was flicking through old posts and found one from early eleven, kinda shocked me as would have guessed six or seven years but def not nine. And I was reading well before I started contributing. do ye ever flick through the old threads, a lot of knowledgeable people has departed the forum."
I only signed up a few months ago but have been reading posts for over ten years

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 631 - 16/07/2020 11:15:44    2284196

Link