Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Kerry15:  "I think their depth is massively overstated. I'd back a Kerry 15 of non panelists to beat a Dublin 15 of non panelists."
I wouldn't bet on that for the simple reason that Dublin has 91 GAA clubs compared to Kerry's 64. On the law of average, from a larger playing population you should have a better pick of players.

Plus in the last 15 years, Dublin clubs have won the club championship 3 times, with only one win to the Kerry champions in the same period of time. A very high percentage of players on those club sides have never made the Dublin panel. That they won the club championship does suggest that they are good players. I didn't go back further than 15 years, as players before that would mostly be retired now.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 457 - 29/05/2021 05:04:15    2346221

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "I wouldn't bet on that for the simple reason that Dublin has 91 GAA clubs compared to Kerry's 64. On the law of average, from a larger playing population you should have a better pick of players.

Plus in the last 15 years, Dublin clubs have won the club championship 3 times, with only one win to the Kerry champions in the same period of time. A very high percentage of players on those club sides have never made the Dublin panel. That they won the club championship does suggest that they are good players. I didn't go back further than 15 years, as players before that would mostly be retired now."
But there are far more players from outside counties playing in Dublin compared to Kerry....I don't think the talent is as deep in Dublin but the still have the better starting 15 compared to us.....

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 135 - 29/05/2021 11:10:57    2346240

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "I think their depth is massively overstated. I'd back a Kerry 15 of non panelists to beat a Dublin 15 of non panelists."
I was only messing Kerry15, I would not be in the camp looking to split Dublin or take any extreme measures like that.

We will have to see how the next few years go. If they keep dominating the championship the GAA will have a real conundrum on their hands. Part of the issue is that the Dubs are beatable but I dont think any of the chasing pack (including ourselves) are especially great, you can see big flaws in all of the teams looking to oust them.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2063 - 29/05/2021 12:09:02    2346251

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "I wouldn't bet on that for the simple reason that Dublin has 91 GAA clubs compared to Kerry's 64. On the law of average, from a larger playing population you should have a better pick of players.

Plus in the last 15 years, Dublin clubs have won the club championship 3 times, with only one win to the Kerry champions in the same period of time. A very high percentage of players on those club sides have never made the Dublin panel. That they won the club championship does suggest that they are good players. I didn't go back further than 15 years, as players before that would mostly be retired now."
It's a hard call really because bar Ballymun alot of the Dublin clubs would have a few country players playing on their teams and alot of the Dublin clubs would not have won the all ireland without them. Having said that there are alot of class players from Dublin also so it's a difficult one to figure out.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2254 - 29/05/2021 12:35:19    2346254

Link

I never wanted to see anything as extreme as Dublin being split because once you make a precedent of doing away with the county system as the basis of the GAA, then inevitably you'll see the amalgamation of smaller counties and maybe a shift towards urban orientated franchise type teams.

But realistically what is the alternative at this stage given the blue monster Croke Park has created? Its practically a professional outfit versus amateurs now and with the commercial money supporting it and central funding underpinning it (not to mention a 75% home advantage in all competitions, which becomes 90% in the championship).

How will the other big GAA counties like Kerry, let alone the smaller fry, ever compete longterm with what a single entity Dublin now represent?

Unless the GAA (and more importantly ordinary punters) are happy for Dublin to win 9 years in a decade where are we going? Because that's what's going to happen if we fast forwards 20-30 years.

Like Gerry said, they are beatable but the deck is so stacked in their favour they still keep on winning, and winning.

And let's be frank their style of football is not even a saving grace. Maybe it was around 2013, but now its keep ball basketball and not Gaelic football.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6176 - 29/05/2021 12:37:54    2346255

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "But there are far more players from outside counties playing in Dublin compared to Kerry....I don't think the talent is as deep in Dublin but the still have the better starting 15 compared to us....."
Fair enough. Good point about the outside players playing club in Dublin.

It's not exactly that the Dubs have a better starting 15. It is that they have a better finishing 20. Their bench has pulled them over the line so many times.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 457 - 29/05/2021 12:55:33    2346261

Link

You have to wonder when the madness will end about Dublin GAA:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40303877.html

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6176 - 02/06/2021 15:43:08    2347734

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "You have to wonder when the madness will end about Dublin GAA:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40303877.html"
That's crazy the hermit, they're on a totally different level than us and the rest.

I had forgotten about Jim Gavin refusing to talk to rte over not allowing him the tapes of kerry games for analysis.

They'll know everything about every team now with their 30 strong backroom team.

This is gone too far now for a so called
"ameture sport"

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13106 - 02/06/2021 16:19:42    2347749

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "You have to wonder when the madness will end about Dublin GAA:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40303877.html"
Also it's funny dublin have money for this kinda thing and to pay the people to run it but we have to pay for their GDA's.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13106 - 02/06/2021 19:32:01    2347810

Link

Great to be packing the bag to head to a competitive game again, U17's county league starts back tonight...

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5332 - 07/06/2021 17:44:48    2348831

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Great to be packing the bag to head to a competitive game again, U17's county league starts back tonight..."
Not a hope horse, I was involved for around 10 years and iv never been happier to be gone from all that drama, and it's not till you stop that you realise what was I doing with my evenings and weekends.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13106 - 07/06/2021 18:53:19    2348840

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Not a hope horse, I was involved for around 10 years and iv never been happier to be gone from all that drama, and it's not till you stop that you realise what was I doing with my evenings and weekends."
Not at all, couldn't disagree more, took charge of a Minor/U17 Game tonight, amazed by the pace and basic skill level of players. Good too to see too that everyone was behaving themselves both sides of the line - I think people appreciate the local games and their importance more now since they sampled life without them. It was great to see parents and Grand parents mingling and enjoying the social aspect of the local game.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5332 - 07/06/2021 22:19:40    2348871

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Not at all, couldn't disagree more, took charge of a Minor/U17 Game tonight, amazed by the pace and basic skill level of players. Good too to see too that everyone was behaving themselves both sides of the line - I think people appreciate the local games and their importance more now since they sampled life without them. It was great to see parents and Grand parents mingling and enjoying the social aspect of the local game."
Oh I don't mind the social aspect and the watching of the game horse, I just wouldn't want to be involved on the coaching/helping side of the game anymore, maybe when I retire from farming some day I might feel differently and want to get involved again, fair play to you and everyone who keeps things goin at underage.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13106 - 07/06/2021 23:19:13    2348882

Link

The Waterville icon is 85 years young today.

I hope he is in good health, you would not hear much of him these days - perhaps only naturally he has given most of his life to football.

The RTE doc from 2018 was good, but for me it seemed to threat him as if he was already dead and buried.

There is some book to be written about that man, Martin Brehaney's auto-biography from 2008 was so poor, I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in a book. I've heard similar about his Cody biography. How someone (let alone a professional writer) can't make a decent tale out of the lifetime of material provided by those two legends is beyond me.

Anyone want to share any stories or meetings they've had with the great man?

I'm afraid the only encounter I had was when he pulled into the garage I was working in over the summer of 2003 in Tralee. Naturally he was driving a bright, shinny, new top of the range BMW that he asked me to fill to the brim. He was in the gear so he was obviously about to hit the road to Portaloise for training or something. I'm afraid I was too star struck to do anything but nod and pump the gas as he sorted the bill in the shop himself :(

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6176 - 09/06/2021 15:34:50    2349231

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "The Waterville icon is 85 years young today.

I hope he is in good health, you would not hear much of him these days - perhaps only naturally he has given most of his life to football.

The RTE doc from 2018 was good, but for me it seemed to threat him as if he was already dead and buried.

There is some book to be written about that man, Martin Brehaney's auto-biography from 2008 was so poor, I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in a book. I've heard similar about his Cody biography. How someone (let alone a professional writer) can't make a decent tale out of the lifetime of material provided by those two legends is beyond me.

I'm afraid the only encounter I had was when he pulled into the garage I was working in over the summer of 2003 in Tralee. Naturally he was driving a bright, shinny, new top of the range BMW that he asked me to fill to the brim. He was in the gear so he was obviously about to hit the road to Portaloise for training or something. I'm afraid I was too star struck to do anything but nod and pump the gas as he sorted the bill in the shop himself :("
" Martin Brehaney's auto-biography"? What do you mean by that?

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 457 - 09/06/2021 16:06:58    2349237

Link

I'm afraid the only encounter I had was when he pulled into the garage I was working in over the summer of 2003 in Tralee. Naturally he was driving a bright, shinny, new top of the range BMW that he asked me to fill to the brim. He was in the gear so he was obviously about to hit the road to Portaloise for training or something. I'm afraid I was too star struck to do anything but nod and pump the gas as he sorted the bill in the shop himself :("
He's some man but his voice is nearly gone now due to the roaring and shouting as manager I suppose.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13106 - 09/06/2021 16:22:27    2349242

Link

There were two Micko autobiography. One as you stated by Martin Brehony but there was one by Owen McCrohan around 1990 or thereabouts.Both were very alike and disappointing. Alot of those books are a let down. Darragh ó Sé s was pure tripe. He liked everyone. Tomas s a little better but another bs merchant. Donaghy was more entertaining. Oisín McConville was good cos twas honest and admitted he did nt like certain players. Davy Fitz was good too. I found most of the Kerry lads poor. On the Ó Sé s I don't even rate their newspaper columns. They like to suck up to the media and play the game and not upset the big boys.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2254 - 09/06/2021 18:46:12    2349263

Link

I met Micko twice. Nothing unusual just idle chat. The last time I met him was at half time between Kerry and Dublin in the 2009 quarter final. I recall saying to him Kerry will hardly slip up now(we were well ahead) Micko s reply was something like *Kerry will win this easily but this is very bad for football". This will knock the Dubs back a bit but we need a strong Dublin "I ll never forget those words and little did we think that a decade in they would be so powerful.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2254 - 09/06/2021 19:27:22    2349269

Link

Owen Corry's book was excellent as it gave match accounts and team stats of games he was involved in as coach or player.

TG4 did one of their Laochra Gael's on Micko in series one. Really good episode.

The Gaa top brass were a disgrace in not offering the compromise rules gig to Micko. Heffernan got s stint but Micko was passed over repeatedly by them and given to the likes of Boylan, Johnno Keeffe, Early, Tohill etc.. have respect for Boylan but why the South Kerry man wasn't given the gig was insulting in my eyes.....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5332 - 09/06/2021 21:03:03    2349286

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Owen Corry's book was excellent as it gave match accounts and team stats of games he was involved in as coach or player.

TG4 did one of their Laochra Gael's on Micko in series one. Really good episode.

The Gaa top brass were a disgrace in not offering the compromise rules gig to Micko. Heffernan got s stint but Micko was passed over repeatedly by them and given to the likes of Boylan, Johnno Keeffe, Early, Tohill etc.. have respect for Boylan but why the South Kerry man wasn't given the gig was insulting in my eyes....."
Tg4 do the best programmes on gaa legends. Yes Micko should have been given a chance to manage Ireland and by all accounts felt a little hurt by the snub. What he did with Kerry was super but also worked his magic with Kildare and Laois and Wicklow. Alot of people don't know how low Kildare were before Micko took charge. They had been beaten by Kilkenny at football and Micko did an unbelievable job with them.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2254 - 09/06/2021 22:14:11    2349296

Link