Kerry Forum

Off Season Discussions Thread

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To foreveryoung:  "It's not that I'm not a fan of Galvin, but he was never the same Paul Galvin again, after 2009. I watched that final (on TV, I wasn't at it) with quite a number of Kerry men. And it's easy I suppose in the heat of the moment to put with comments like "Galvin is the greatest half-forward that's ever played for Kerry." Not many, TG, but I did hear such nonsense for a few of the younger Kerry lads.

Theirs would be a limited, but not a holistic purview of the Kerry football scene. Even just in my own time watching Kerry play, Donnacha Walsh was every bit as good as Galvin, possibly even a less selfish team player; Liam Hassett delivered just as much as Galvin ever did; then there's Brendan Lynch, another great servant on the wing; and certainly Ger Power; and definitely Pat Spillane. Spillane is the greatest half forward to have ever kicked Gaelic football. No brag, just fact!

Galvin had an edge and and ego, and they were great. But in a cold gray light of dawn analysis, he'd be about the 4th best wing forward that I've seen kick for Kerry. I'd say in hindsight, none of the young ladeens that claimed him to be the best ever in 2009, are still coming out with such nonsense! Time marks greatness!"
True Forever he was very good in 09 and in replay v Cork in 2010 Galvin was excellent before his stupid fishhook incident. Galvin would nt lace Spillane boots and yes I agree give me Ger Power anyday too. Galvin was given this hard man status (which he certainly was nt) so he became a cult figure so people looked beyond his faults. I posted before a story that came from an ex County colleague of his who said "is that a man that cares about his county".This arose from an incident before a game where Galvin said he was going to get a fella back that hurt him before. He was told that Kerry need 15 on the field. He duly got sent off and his fellow players made that comment(a player that is very highly respected). Also he carry on v Armagh in 06 was the actions of a bowsy throwing a water bottle but did nt do much when he got a few punches of John Toal. Smelled of cowardice. Galvin also while I admit was a great man to win dirty ball he often gave it away very easily afterwards. IMO he cost us in Iimportant matches too. The man had too big an ego for my liking and yes was a good player but many ahead of him. Also for me he was nt a good role model.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 29/04/2021 13:26:50    2339305

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "True Forever he was very good in 09 and in replay v Cork in 2010 Galvin was excellent before his stupid fishhook incident. Galvin would nt lace Spillane boots and yes I agree give me Ger Power anyday too. Galvin was given this hard man status (which he certainly was nt) so he became a cult figure so people looked beyond his faults. I posted before a story that came from an ex County colleague of his who said "is that a man that cares about his county".This arose from an incident before a game where Galvin said he was going to get a fella back that hurt him before. He was told that Kerry need 15 on the field. He duly got sent off and his fellow players made that comment(a player that is very highly respected). Also he carry on v Armagh in 06 was the actions of a bowsy throwing a water bottle but did nt do much when he got a few punches of John Toal. Smelled of cowardice. Galvin also while I admit was a great man to win dirty ball he often gave it away very easily afterwards. IMO he cost us in Iimportant matches too. The man had too big an ego for my liking and yes was a good player but many ahead of him. Also for me he was nt a good role model."
That should ve said "is that a man that cares more about himself or his county"

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 29/04/2021 13:40:59    2339313

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "That should ve said "is that a man that cares more about himself or his county""
Mick, you consistently seem to have more of an inside track than the rest of us on here when it comes to the ins and outs of Kerry football.

However, I'd definitely give Galvin the benefit of the doubt when you suggest "cowardice". Quite a few of those Armagh lads back then, were unreal: McGeeney, Toal and Francie; a level of two above Noel O'Leary when it'd come to knuckle. Actually, a couple of close Armagh friends told before me that if push came to shove, Oisin McConville was the man who could lay all around him low, such was his deftness with the paws. Thankfully, they said, it never came to that.

But telling others that you're going to done someone in, isn't how it's done. When the man is taken out, that's the first that anyone should know about your intention. And then, nobody should still even know. See, even though I'm just a yank, I could play the game whether the ball came high or low, or anywhere in between. And I was still playing Gaelic into my fifties, and still putting manners on little jumped up "Jackeens"!

But the best of luck to Galvin. Like I said he'd have time enough for him. And best of luck to his business. His GAA past doesn't seem to have done him any harm at all, in that regard.

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 29/04/2021 15:33:54    2339352

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "Mick, you consistently seem to have more of an inside track than the rest of us on here when it comes to the ins and outs of Kerry football.

However, I'd definitely give Galvin the benefit of the doubt when you suggest "cowardice". Quite a few of those Armagh lads back then, were unreal: McGeeney, Toal and Francie; a level of two above Noel O'Leary when it'd come to knuckle. Actually, a couple of close Armagh friends told before me that if push came to shove, Oisin McConville was the man who could lay all around him low, such was his deftness with the paws. Thankfully, they said, it never came to that.

But telling others that you're going to done someone in, isn't how it's done. When the man is taken out, that's the first that anyone should know about your intention. And then, nobody should still even know. See, even though I'm just a yank, I could play the game whether the ball came high or low, or anywhere in between. And I was still playing Gaelic into my fifties, and still putting manners on little jumped up "Jackeens"!

But the best of luck to Galvin. Like I said he'd have time enough for him. And best of luck to his business. His GAA past doesn't seem to have done him any harm at all, in that regard."
Oh Galvin doing very well off the pitch for sure Forever. I just though he over rated in gaa circles but that's just my opinion. I would nt say I have an inside track forever but I hear things from time to time. Yeah that Armagh team were tough nó doubt. I've met McConville and seems like a sound man. McGeeney is married to a Kerry woman from Ballymac (a sister of Ruari Rahilly) who was a sub on Kerry team in 1997.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 29/04/2021 16:11:32    2339361

Link

Was just listening to Paul Geaney on Newstalk. He was asked about Cork game last November. He categorically stated that the rumours were false.There was no coo against PK and he was nt on panel due to injury.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 29/04/2021 20:19:50    2339413

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "Was just listening to Paul Geaney on Newstalk. He was asked about Cork game last November. He categorically stated that the rumours were false.There was no coo against PK and he was nt on panel due to injury."
Geeney was just on the TV3 news Mick talking about this. Now I'm no expert but to me he came across like Peter Keens Chemical Ali!

Onion_Sack (Dublin) - Posts: 122 - 30/04/2021 18:50:45    2339543

Link

Replying To Onion_Sack:  "Geeney was just on the TV3 news Mick talking about this. Now I'm no expert but to me he came across like Peter Keens Chemical Ali!"
A strange one alright Onion Sack. Geaney says he was injured for Cork game but a few days before the game Peter Keane said Kerry had no injury worries. Also on Newstalk when asked about Donie Buckley, Geaney said "ask the Monaghan lads that one" and just said we in Kerry are very happy with our management team. I did nt know what to believe out of it but sure I guess I'll have to take Paul at his word.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 30/04/2021 19:54:00    2339548

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "A strange one alright Onion Sack. Geaney says he was injured for Cork game but a few days before the game Peter Keane said Kerry had no injury worries. Also on Newstalk when asked about Donie Buckley, Geaney said "ask the Monaghan lads that one" and just said we in Kerry are very happy with our management team. I did nt know what to believe out of it but sure I guess I'll have to take Paul at his word."
You're reading way too much into things. The difference in comments was probably just that while he wasn't fully injured he was only just back in training and not championship ready. Also you hardly expect any player to be giving much away to the media about going ons in the camp? The main thing I took from the interview was that Paul said he feels the best he has done physically and mentally in his 10 year Inter County career. I think we will see another very big year from Paul this year. One of the most underrated players in the country in my opinion.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 30/04/2021 20:31:28    2339554

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "You're reading way too much into things. The difference in comments was probably just that while he wasn't fully injured he was only just back in training and not championship ready. Also you hardly expect any player to be giving much away to the media about going ons in the camp? The main thing I took from the interview was that Paul said he feels the best he has done physically and mentally in his 10 year Inter County career. I think we will see another very big year from Paul this year. One of the most underrated players in the country in my opinion."
Paul loves this time of year, dry ball hard ground and he'll be flying, let's hope he stays fit.

It would be great if PK came out and gave us a squad update for the season ahead and an update on knocks and injuries as well, there is still a disconnect between the supporters and the team especially with the Covid.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 13475 - 30/04/2021 22:07:19    2339560

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "You're reading way too much into things. The difference in comments was probably just that while he wasn't fully injured he was only just back in training and not championship ready. Also you hardly expect any player to be giving much away to the media about going ons in the camp? The main thing I took from the interview was that Paul said he feels the best he has done physically and mentally in his 10 year Inter County career. I think we will see another very big year from Paul this year. One of the most underrated players in the country in my opinion."
Agree. I think Paul is class and a pure natural forward. Oh I'm just wondering about some comments that's all. I felt he was conscious of PK listening like the question on Donie Buckley. He was asked was he a good coach and did nt offer any opinion saying ask Monaghan. It was like I better not praise Donie. Maybe I am reading too much into it. Also of course his townie Tommy G has taken over Donie s duties.On a more positive note Paul said he never felt better and is raring to go.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 30/04/2021 22:43:40    2339565

Link

Ah look I don't really care what happened last year or might have happened or didn't happen.

The main point I took from this interview is Paul Geaney is raring to go, fit and healthy.

Ibhavw often advocated Paul's worth to this team. He for me is the perfect full forward. Fast , both feet, both hands accurate, has vision and is good in front and in the air.

It amazes me how much people underestimate him. A fully fit PG is a serious weapon in our inside line. Most gull back lines, Dublin included wouldn't fancy facing Clifford, Geaney and Spillane with people like Brosnan and Moynihan ready to come in.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 01/05/2021 09:40:28    2339581

Link

The newbies love the conspiracies and putting down certain Kerry stalwarts and legends it seems.

Posts best ignored and they can take that stuff onto the main forum.

Great to hear Paul is raring to go. And as for Donnie Buckley he might as well be the man on the moon now for all the relevance he has for us.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6334 - 01/05/2021 10:11:39    2339585

Link

Delighted Paul Geaney fit and rearing to go.Someone here cant read too well.I did nt see anyone putting down Paul or any legend.As for yours truly I gave my opinion on Galvin and I stick by it.I for one do not agree to players throwing bottles at opposing players or fish hooking players.If some agree that's their own business but that's not sportsmanship.An ignorant poster on here seems to have no time for posters that don't agree with his posts.A sign of insecurity but cest la vie.Its great to hear alternative views from others.Thats what makes an open forum interesting and some of the alternative views are very informative and mature.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 01/05/2021 12:22:25    2339588

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "The newbies love the conspiracies and putting down certain Kerry stalwarts and legends it seems.

Great to hear Paul is raring to go. And as for Donnie Buckley he might as well be the man on the moon now for all the relevance he has for us."
Ye all know my stance on Buckley all papered up but no substance, might be well able to understand the game but can't hack it at the too table, Buckley for me is like someone walking into the Crucible and putting 50p on the table. Understands the concept but just can't do it when it counts.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 01/05/2021 13:10:49    2339592

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "The newbies love the conspiracies and putting down certain Kerry stalwarts and legends it seems.

Great to hear Paul is raring to go. And as for Donnie Buckley he might as well be the man on the moon now for all the relevance he has for us."
Ye all know my stance on Buckley all papered up but no substance, might be well able to understand the game but can't hack it at the too table, Buckley for me is like someone walking into the Crucible and putting 50p on the table. Understands the concept but just can't do it when it counts.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 01/05/2021 13:13:35    2339593

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ye all know my stance on Buckley all papered up but no substance, might be well able to understand the game but can't hack it at the too table, Buckley for me is like someone walking into the Crucible and putting 50p on the table. Understands the concept but just can't do it when it counts."
I would be on the fence with Buckley myself but alot of ex players seem to love him and that's why I found it strange that Paul did nt praise him. He deflected the question saying ask Monaghan and we very happy with our backroom team. Maybe he was nt impressed with Buckley but if he had he did nt admit it.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 01/05/2021 13:47:57    2339597

Link

Replying To CiarraiMick:  "I would be on the fence with Buckley myself but alot of ex players seem to love him and that's why I found it strange that Paul did nt praise him. He deflected the question saying ask Monaghan and we very happy with our backroom team. Maybe he was nt impressed with Buckley but if he had he did nt admit it."
Could be parochial loyalty too, Tommy would be a club mate of Paul and some fail to recognise that Tommy has trained a three in a row minor team, dealing with eighteen year olds with different muscle tones with some still developing, Minor training plans are a lot harder to assemble and undertake than seniors.

I'd have no fear of Tommy taking the helm in coaching this year.

Personally I think DB is overrated, I trained under buckley on and off for a year. Everyone has their opinions, I respect the man but for me hasn't cut it when it counted.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 5462 - 01/05/2021 14:35:04    2339602

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Ah look I don't really care what happened last year or might have happened or didn't happen.

The main point I took from this interview is Paul Geaney is raring to go, fit and healthy.

Ibhavw often advocated Paul's worth to this team. He for me is the perfect full forward. Fast , both feet, both hands accurate, has vision and is good in front and in the air.

It amazes me how much people underestimate him. A fully fit PG is a serious weapon in our inside line. Most gull back lines, Dublin included wouldn't fancy facing Clifford, Geaney and Spillane with people like Brosnan and Moynihan ready to come in."
That's the approach to have horse. If Kerry can get fast, relatively decent ball into Clifford, Geaney and Spillane, they'd be well on their way to beating any team. Those 3 fellas don't need it to be put on a plate for them. They're all more than capable of winning their own ball, whether it comes in high, low or sidewards. The key is that it has to come in fast and early!

foreveryoung (USA) - Posts: 661 - 01/05/2021 15:00:28    2339605

Link

Replying To foreveryoung:  "That's the approach to have horse. If Kerry can get fast, relatively decent ball into Clifford, Geaney and Spillane, they'd be well on their way to beating any team. Those 3 fellas don't need it to be put on a plate for them. They're all more than capable of winning their own ball, whether it comes in high, low or sidewards. The key is that it has to come in fast and early!"
With Seanie and Stephen O'Brien on the 40 and Tony Brosnan and Paudie Clifford/Burns coming in we've brilliant firepower. An injury free, in form, Summer James O'Donoghue wouldn't be a bad option from the bench either.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 839 - 01/05/2021 15:50:21    2339609

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Could be parochial loyalty too, Tommy would be a club mate of Paul and some fail to recognise that Tommy has trained a three in a row minor team, dealing with eighteen year olds with different muscle tones with some still developing, Minor training plans are a lot harder to assemble and undertake than seniors.

I'd have no fear of Tommy taking the helm in coaching this year.

Personally I think DB is overrated, I trained under buckley on and off for a year. Everyone has their opinions, I respect the man but for me hasn't cut it when it counted."
Well Horsebox you have more knowledge than the rest of us having played under him. In fairness besides the last gasp Cork goal our defense was fairly good v Cork last year. Also I would have faith in Tommy G too.

CiarraiMick (Dublin) - Posts: 2694 - 01/05/2021 16:43:11    2339612

Link