Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To StoreysTash:  "What good is their neighbours catching Kilkenny if there are others out there who are setting a higher bar? Imagine having won half of what they won over the last 20 years. I will not dance on their grave because that is loser talk. I would dance on their grave if it was us winning an All-Ireland in their place.
I think Kilkenny caught Galway on the hop, whoever wins todays semi final will win the All-Ireland.
Waterford were a joy to watch last night. Sometimes good players just need to be let hurl. Not be stifled by a system which is a thing of ridicule by most pundits.
Every back loves ball that comes in slow.
perfect10 you are right, quick ball into good forwards doesn't allow any form of defensive re-organisation. It is man-on-man and Kilkenny had no answer. Wexfords forwards are well able to win ball but they won't win it when they are out-numbered by 3 or 4 bodies because we have been arseing around with the ball at the other end of the pitch.
Hurling is a simple game, some coaches are determined to over complicate it."
I'd argue the current standard bearers Limerick have as complicated a gameplan as anyone.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2623 - 29/11/2020 14:22:39    2316481

Link

Replying To StoreysTash:  "What good is their neighbours catching Kilkenny if there are others out there who are setting a higher bar? Imagine having won half of what they won over the last 20 years. I will not dance on their grave because that is loser talk. I would dance on their grave if it was us winning an All-Ireland in their place.
I think Kilkenny caught Galway on the hop, whoever wins todays semi final will win the All-Ireland.
Waterford were a joy to watch last night. Sometimes good players just need to be let hurl. Not be stifled by a system which is a thing of ridicule by most pundits.
perfect10 you are right, quick ball into good forwards doesn't allow any form of defensive re-organisation. It is man-on-man and Kilkenny had no answer. Wexfords forwards are well able to win ball but they won't win it when they are out-numbered by 3 or 4 bodies because we have been arseing around with the ball at the other end of the pitch.
You must've been watching a different game to me then because in the game I saw Waterford only had 2 men inside who more often than not were running back out to their half forward line to win their ball. But they were making those runs continuously and were winning that ball well. And their running off the shoulder and short passing (does that sound familiar lad?) Was creating that space for the 2 lads inside to run out to. A bit like we have done against the same opposition nearly every time I've seen us play them the last 4 years. Why are you so down on your own lads after 2 poor performances?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 14:26:24    2316485

Link

Replying To Joe1:  "Liam Sheedy seemed to be blaming the ref/linesman at the end of the last game. He also gets fairly animated and nasty if he perceives a bad call has been made against him. I wouldn't be too critical of that, it's a human characteristic.
I think next year will tell a lot about Wexford's hurling future and the quality of manager we are capable of attracting, at the end of Davy's reign."
Beat me to it, everyone talks about Davy on the line, Sheedy is no gentle Ben on the line and Tommy Dunne really takes the biscuit.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2623 - 29/11/2020 14:31:36    2316487

Link

Biggest difference between us and Waterford this year and last year is that last year we were the lads who looked fitter, more cohesive as a team, and played with more intensity. This year they have done. There didnt seem to be a big difference in playing styles of the teams except deBurca maybe won more aerial ball than Kevin Foley and their 2 lads inside seemed to move around alot more than ours and are probably quicker runners. Jamie Barron looked alot more like the DOK of last year than the DOK of this year too. Individually alot of our players didnt play as well this year as last. Whereas the Waterford lads looked more like their selves of 3 years ago than the last 2 years.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 14:39:36    2316490

Link

We were so bad this year because davy burnt them out. Its davy fitz fault and nobody else to blame.

Waltermitty2 (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 29/11/2020 15:52:10    2316513

Link

Replying To Waltermitty2:  "We were so bad this year because davy burnt them out. Its davy fitz fault and nobody else to blame."
Austin Gleeson, Tony Kelly etc all trained like animals over the summer and didnt look burnt out. Our lads just didn't look as fit or sharp this year as last year when Davy had them for longer?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 16:37:21    2316520

Link

Watching LimerickvGalway. Very tactical game this one too. Only 2 inside for both teams. Lots of running and short passing through the lines. Long high balls played into the 2 inside usually brought back out by one of the 3 backs marking them. Sound familiar?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 16:43:00    2316522

Link

Watching LimerickvGalway. Very tactical game this one too. Only 2 inside for both teams. Lots of running and short passing through the lines. Long high balls played into the 2 inside usually brought back out by one of the 3 backs marking them. Sound familiar?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 16:44:21    2316523

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "Austin Gleeson, Tony Kelly etc all trained like animals over the summer and didnt look burnt out. Our lads just didn't look as fit or sharp this year as last year when Davy had them for longer?"
Wouldn't worry about him, his posts are generally 1 setance posts criticising Davy, county board, referees, players or talking up the Martins

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2623 - 29/11/2020 16:50:37    2316527

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "Watching LimerickvGalway. Very tactical game this one too. Only 2 inside for both teams. Lots of running and short passing through the lines. Long high balls played into the 2 inside usually brought back out by one of the 3 backs marking them. Sound familiar?"
Mannion sweeper for Galway, 3rd game in a row they've played it

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2623 - 29/11/2020 16:51:20    2316528

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Mannion sweeper for Galway, 3rd game in a row they've played it"
Biggest difference I can see between these 2 teams and us is theres only been 1 missed free between both sides and their teamwork and passing and tackling seem sharper. Only 1 real goal chance.

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 17:15:00    2316537

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Wouldn't worry about him, his posts are generally 1 setance posts criticising Davy, county board, referees, players or talking up the Martins"
Im only goin by what players have told me. Plus they looked like a team over trained as sheflin pointed out on the sunday game.

Waltermitty2 (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 29/11/2020 17:54:25    2316551

Link

Replying To Waltermitty2:  "Im only goin by what players have told me. Plus they looked like a team over trained as sheflin pointed out on the sunday game."
Under trained more like. Mustnt have had too many team sessions where they were all on the same park at the same time.They weren't capable of passing to a lad in the same coloured shirt for the first 3 halves of championship action this year. Took a few goes to get the ball up. Weren't able to tackle with a hurl without giving away a free. And just looked not as fit or sharp as last year. What does over trained actually mean?

Viking66 (Wexford) - Posts: 1050 - 29/11/2020 18:51:44    2316589

Link

Replying To Viking66:  "Under trained more like. Mustnt have had too many team sessions where they were all on the same park at the same time.They weren't capable of passing to a lad in the same coloured shirt for the first 3 halves of championship action this year. Took a few goes to get the ball up. Weren't able to tackle with a hurl without giving away a free. And just looked not as fit or sharp as last year. What does over trained actually mean?"
Lads, the local paper mentioned a couple of lads who has been added to the panel, I didn't get a chance to see it, does anyone know who was mentioned?

hunting (Wexford) - Posts: 583 - 29/11/2020 18:59:44    2316596

Link

Replying To hunting:  "Lads, the local paper mentioned a couple of lads who has been added to the panel, I didn't get a chance to see it, does anyone know who was mentioned?"
Ross Banville, Conor Hearne, Glen Malone, Richie Lawlor , Conor Devitt

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 2623 - 29/11/2020 19:35:10    2316615

Link