Down Forum

Where Is Down Footballers Going Wrong

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

On a different note ,The decision to send off Clifford ,a total farce ,Typical Tyrone though,every filthy trick in the book

germac (Down) - Posts: 271 - 10/02/2020 20:51:14    2266897

Link

I didn't see the incident, but I suggest a red card for the instigators of this type of thing. It didn't sound like a a tackle but more an assault or a wrestling move pinning down an opponent. It's only a matter of time until VAR is introduced.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 10/02/2020 22:11:41    2266920

Link

Paddy Tally in a Irish News interview says Down players lacked composure and panicked towards the end of the game against Cork, putting it down to having so many young players. The Cork manager said they tried to put as much pressure on Down's shooting and it worked with Down having thirteen wides.
I have watched Down when attacking a perimeter play as if there was a shot clock and fire shots off in desperation usually from a bad angle and off balance. You can guess where the ball ended up. The best teams are patient waiting for the opening. Another problem I see in Down's attack against a wall of defenders is a lack of imagination, Tally and his coaches need to come up with new ideas or just steal them from the likes of Dublin who borrow a lot of offensive ideas from basketball. How about getting in a basketball coach? Who knows better than how to attack congested tight spaces?
From where I sit in the stand I can see space behind the perimeter but I rarely see a player run into it and receive the ball or the forwards leave the goal area and run towards it. Time to help the players Paddy, freshen up your attacking sets, and while you're at it start kick passing more.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 11/02/2020 13:27:25    2267055

Link

Interesting side named this evening for tomorrow. Kerr starting, Murdock in again and Doherty in at 11. Interested to see how they go...

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 21/02/2020 18:12:26    2268852

Link

I guess you have to keep trying different options as previous teams fielded to date in the league have not been very impressive. I hope our boys can perform and get the win..

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 21/02/2020 20:28:51    2268881

Link

Game is on Saturday at 7pm not Sunday as mentioned in the Hoganstand team report. Five changes, three up front. Fair play to Tally he's seen the problems with scoring and taken action, hope he is rewarded. I think Down can win this against a team in good form Longford. If they don't win promotion will be almost certainly out of reach. Conditions look better than previous weeks, hope to see a bit more kick passing from Down and a bit more intelligence in breaking the perimeter defence.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 22/02/2020 14:49:28    2269000

Link

Game is on Saturday at 7pm not Sunday as mentioned in the Hoganstand team report. Five changes, three up front. Fair play to Tally he's seen the problems with scoring and taken action, hope he is rewarded. I think Down can win this against a team in good form Longford. If they don't win promotion will be almost certainly out of reach. Conditions look better than previous weeks, hope to see a bit more kick passing from Down and a bit more intelligence in breaking the perimeter defence.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 22/02/2020 14:49:41    2269001

Link

Great to get the win. Tipp losing also helps.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 22/02/2020 20:44:54    2269076

Link

Longford&Derry will be our main challengers for second place.
Think Longford play Cork last game.
Cork will be promoted by that stage.
Let's hope Cork play a full strength Team.

dunmaguire (Down) - Posts: 74 - 23/02/2020 13:22:43    2269265

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Great to get the win. Tipp losing also helps."
Good win alright but they absolutely made hard work of it. Shooting and possession turnovers are a massive issue. Really don't know what they would have done without Liam Kerr.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 23/02/2020 18:51:18    2269376

Link

2 great wins for both u20s and seniors.
this is a decent u20 team who have a great chance to win ulster this year, cavan were always going to be dogged and defend in numbers which donegal will do in the semi final but if we can not get frustrated we can overcome them.

Great win on sat night, big improvement from Cork game and with it being a must win the lads really stuck at it, there is a great fighting spirit with these lads who refuse to give up, beat offaly next then we win go up.

We have very good players here who our still learning and they will get better as time goes so i don't think its all bad I'm very confident in this group and manager that we will again be serious challengers in ulster and the next step on that will be playing div 2 next season.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 521 - 24/02/2020 13:46:22    2269724

Link

Replying To Yourjoking:  "2 great wins for both u20s and seniors.
this is a decent u20 team who have a great chance to win ulster this year, cavan were always going to be dogged and defend in numbers which donegal will do in the semi final but if we can not get frustrated we can overcome them.

Great win on sat night, big improvement from Cork game and with it being a must win the lads really stuck at it, there is a great fighting spirit with these lads who refuse to give up, beat offaly next then we win go up.

We have very good players here who our still learning and they will get better as time goes so i don't think its all bad I'm very confident in this group and manager that we will again be serious challengers in ulster and the next step on that will be playing div 2 next season."
Reasons to be positive indeed but also we need to be realistic. I think we have some decent young players (Kerr and now Murdock for example) who could be difference makers down the line - but I think we are quite a bit away from a serious challenge on Tyrone and Donegal. Especially if we don't improve our shooting. However I agree there are reasons to be hopeful.

I also think saying "beat offaly next then we win go up" is foolish considering what happened last year. Next 3 games will be battles, the lads need to show they can cope with the pressure. Here's hoping they do.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 24/02/2020 16:52:06    2269807

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "Reasons to be positive indeed but also we need to be realistic. I think we have some decent young players (Kerr and now Murdock for example) who could be difference makers down the line - but I think we are quite a bit away from a serious challenge on Tyrone and Donegal. Especially if we don't improve our shooting. However I agree there are reasons to be hopeful.

I also think saying "beat offaly next then we win go up" is foolish considering what happened last year. Next 3 games will be battles, the lads need to show they can cope with the pressure. Here's hoping they do."
These last 3 games will be played at championship intensity. We want to competing in sam maguire.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 24/02/2020 19:36:05    2269853

Link

A really entertaining game that was in the balance going into the last ten minutes. Another good crowd with a fair number of Longford supporters there, fair play to them for making the journey.
This was a much improved Down performance, starting quicker than usual and with a more positive approach. It was good to see more kick passing. I don't have the stats but Downs shooting seemed better and there was a good spread of scoring with eight players on the score sheet. As usual Down struggled at midfield and had to go short to retain possession but still went in 9-7 up at half time.
In the second half something remarkable happened Down dominated the midfield and picked up most of the breaking ball.
Just when it looked like Down would run away with the game Longford goaled and added a few points to go ahead. But a fine Cory Quinn goal put Down three ahead, Longford closed the gap to one and a lovely James Guinness goal around the 70 minute mark saw Down home.
A good team performance, I thought Barry O'Hagan, Darren O'Hagan and Cory Quinn did well, but the Down player who caught the eye was Liam Kerr, most of Downs possession went through his hands. He's very quick, intelligent and has beautiful ball control, if he keeps improving we have a serious player on our hands.
Turnovers were a problem and I counted four shots into the goalkeepers hands and in the first half we struggled in midfield, but there was a lot of improved play on show, it looks like the squad are working to cut down the mistakes as Paddy Tally has asked them to do. At this stage we can't ask for more.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 24/02/2020 22:31:13    2269910

Link

Encouraging signs indeed.
But agree still way off Tyrone&Donegal,for that matter Monaghan would be In that Bracket
Offaly game will very difficult they gave Cork a sterner test than Down.
Louth ,say no more...
Leitrim have also shown a big improvement.

dunmaguire (Down) - Posts: 74 - 25/02/2020 11:31:23    2270020

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "A really entertaining game that was in the balance going into the last ten minutes. Another good crowd with a fair number of Longford supporters there, fair play to them for making the journey.
This was a much improved Down performance, starting quicker than usual and with a more positive approach. It was good to see more kick passing. I don't have the stats but Downs shooting seemed better and there was a good spread of scoring with eight players on the score sheet. As usual Down struggled at midfield and had to go short to retain possession but still went in 9-7 up at half time.
In the second half something remarkable happened Down dominated the midfield and picked up most of the breaking ball.
Just when it looked like Down would run away with the game Longford goaled and added a few points to go ahead. But a fine Cory Quinn goal put Down three ahead, Longford closed the gap to one and a lovely James Guinness goal around the 70 minute mark saw Down home.
A good team performance, I thought Barry O'Hagan, Darren O'Hagan and Cory Quinn did well, but the Down player who caught the eye was Liam Kerr, most of Downs possession went through his hands. He's very quick, intelligent and has beautiful ball control, if he keeps improving we have a serious player on our hands.
Turnovers were a problem and I counted four shots into the goalkeepers hands and in the first half we struggled in midfield, but there was a lot of improved play on show, it looks like the squad are working to cut down the mistakes as Paddy Tally has asked them to do. At this stage we can't ask for more."
While shooting might have been slightly improved from before it was still a big issue imo - but to be fair Longford were absolutely clinical. Corey Quinn, while he has a real eye for goal, put a few straightforward points wide and definitely needs to improve in this regard - but perhaps its inexperience and naivety more than anything. The turnover that led to the Longford goal also showed this but all in all I thought the defence battled well.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 26/02/2020 15:00:59    2270323

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "While shooting might have been slightly improved from before it was still a big issue imo - but to be fair Longford were absolutely clinical. Corey Quinn, while he has a real eye for goal, put a few straightforward points wide and definitely needs to improve in this regard - but perhaps its inexperience and naivety more than anything. The turnover that led to the Longford goal also showed this but all in all I thought the defence battled well."
Good win for Down, wasn't at the game. Good to see an improved scoring rate and nice to see Connaire Harrison back and scoring. We were well on top at halftime, wonder did Down have wind assistance, sounds like a feisty game as McKernan and Flynn were blackcarded. Promotion is in our own hands now I think, hopefully another two wins and we're in the second division and the All Ireland.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 01/03/2020 21:13:11    2271370

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "Good win for Down, wasn't at the game. Good to see an improved scoring rate and nice to see Connaire Harrison back and scoring. We were well on top at halftime, wonder did Down have wind assistance, sounds like a feisty game as McKernan and Flynn were blackcarded. Promotion is in our own hands now I think, hopefully another two wins and we're in the second division and the All Ireland."
Good win today. Next 2 games are must win and we will need to play at championship pace to achieve it. There must be No messing about like last year were ...

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 01/03/2020 22:06:16    2271415

Link

I was at the game today. It wasn't as fiesty as the card count would suggest. Flynn's black card was harsh on him, he couldn't get out of the way and was deemed to have been guilty of a bodycheck.

Down controlled the game from start to finish, using the breeze well in the first half. There were a lot of positives. Collins, Fegan and McArdle were all excellent in defence and I thought James Guinness had a super game up front. Doherty, Kerr, Quinn and Barry O'Hagan all did very well.

Harrison and Donnelly getting game time is positive as well.

Very few wides and much less of the unforced errors.

Great stuff lads - more of the same the next day!

early_ball_in (Down) - Posts: 10 - 01/03/2020 22:59:58    2271444

Link

i stick by my earlier post about this down team, a fantastic performance yesterday against offaly each game we our getting better both defensively and in attack, there's a serious hunger in this team and considering the players missing ( mooney, o hagan, o hare, 2 johnston brothers to name a few ) it had a banana skin wrote all over it but the lads really went for it and having harrison and donnelly getting bk playing also it was a fantastic performance.

I know people will bring up last year but we our a better team now and adding to the squad we have a young exciting team on our hands, yes i believe we will win both our games and get to play Cork in croker that's what we need big game against a very good team before we tackle the championship.

Looking forward to Leitrim game in couple of weeks lets get a big crowd in newry and get the job done.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 521 - 02/03/2020 13:48:07    2271653

Link