Down Forum

Where Is Down Footballers Going Wrong

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Didn't see the game, just read the newspaper report. Sounds like a hard fought victory, the goal made all the difference. Only slight worry was both teams had a player sent off late, two yellow cards apiece. It's vital not to lose a man for indiscipline, it just leaves you with a mountain to climb. Any Donegal team will be a tough ask, don't know their personnel, but I assume they will have several county players. With Donegal playing in Division One of the National League and in the Super 8s and Down operating in Division Three you would have to give the advantage to the Donegal champions. I would love to see Kilcoo win an Ulster title, it's overdue, so good luck to them.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 18/11/2019 18:36:09    2250217

Link

Did anyone read the Irish News today ?

"Down team of the last 20 years" was picked. It's a real shame how many of those men were lost to us due to injury. Liam Doyle, Ambrose Rogers and Marty Clarke really stood out.

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1415 - 04/12/2019 14:07:30    2253186

Link

How many of the kilcoo men are on the county cause I swear every one of them are a real shout

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 80 - 04/12/2019 18:06:43    2253228

Link

When is the last time a senior down team beat tyrone apart from 2008 in the senior championship? Is it 1999?
I also cant remember when our minors or u21s have last had a victory.

This needs to change if we are to have success

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 15/01/2020 22:21:03    2260100

Link

Will any of them brannigan boys he joining the county panel?? Or how many if that kilcoo team are on the county??. Personally them 3 younger brannigana would strengthen that current county squad massively and if they arnt already asked to come play the management need to pay them a personal visit.

Antrimroad (Down) - Posts: 80 - 23/01/2020 21:16:41    2261846

Link

We have been down that road before with the brannigans ... agree they would be great for any squad but they need to want it.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 24/01/2020 11:37:32    2261907

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "We have been down that road before with the brannigans ... agree they would be great for any squad but they need to want it."
Need what.?

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 202 - 26/01/2020 15:20:11    2262503

Link

Great win for the lads last night, it was a game either team could afford to lose if they want to get promoted, this should give the lads a massive boost going into the Cork game.
Defensive side has been solid not conceding a goal in opening 2 games will please Tally but we really need to work on our scoring side of things especially with teams dropping numbers back but a great start to league.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 521 - 02/02/2020 12:49:05    2264431

Link

Good to get the win against Derry as this division is going to go to the wire especially after tipps win today. Down looked to have a big panel to choose from but the players that look to be out in front for starting places are Darren o Hagan, owen mc cabe and liam kerr. All the rest are good footballers but could be easily replaced. If this down team are to progress they will need to get connaire Harrison, mooney and and a couple of kilcoo lads into the mix for positions in the next few games.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 02/02/2020 17:29:29    2264520

Link

Replying To downtothecore:  "Good to get the win against Derry as this division is going to go to the wire especially after tipps win today. Down looked to have a big panel to choose from but the players that look to be out in front for starting places are Darren o Hagan, owen mc cabe and liam kerr. All the rest are good footballers but could be easily replaced. If this down team are to progress they will need to get connaire Harrison, mooney and and a couple of kilcoo lads into the mix for positions in the next few games."
OK that's 12 players you could easily replace from a starting 15, Could you name a different 12 to start against Cork next week

germac (Down) - Posts: 271 - 02/02/2020 18:36:45    2264558

Link

Great to get two points, all Downs strengths were on show. They have a great work ethic, cover well in defence, they never quit and finish strong.
The bad side was visible too. Starting slowly, not scoring until about ten minutes in. Dreadful shooting, chaotic kick out strategy, almost no ball won in midfield from their own kickouts, very little breaking ball won. Promising attacks spoiled by turnovers. An inability to break the opposition perimeter, a reluctance to shoot ( understandable when the shooting is so bad), almost no kick passing. Missing free kicks.
Down started the second half much better, finished stronger than Derry, Down's subs all made an impact, and the shooting improved. For most of the game Derry were the better team, but when the game was up for grabs in the last quarter they threw it away with the number of wides they shot. Down were let off the hook here, better teams will not be as generous.
Darren O'Hagan was immense again, what a worker he is. Barry O'Hagan and Conor Poland impressed and Liam Kerr looks very promising and Donal O'Hare kept Down in the game with his frees. Down's goalkeeper entertained by venturing well into Derry's half and anyone sitting near the halfway line got an earbashing from Derry manager Rory Gallagher who never left off the shouting from the first to last minute.
A year into Paddy Tally's reign and still the same problems exist. Down don't win enough possession and don't score enough, fourteen points has been Downs average return for a couple of years now and it's not enough. I can't criticise the effort of the team, and there seems to be a good camaraderie in the squad, let's hope the younger lads can make the leap because at the end of the day it's the quality of players at your disposal that defines a team.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 02/02/2020 20:58:50    2264657

Link

Replying To germac:  "OK that's 12 players you could easily replace from a starting 15, Could you name a different 12 to start against Cork next week"
I don't think its phrased properly, don't agree with the term "easily replaced" for example but do get his point. There are a lot of similar types of players on this Down team and too many being brutally honest who are average county players at best. But it is what it is and all hands are giving it their all which is all we can ask.

Since you asked, some players not starting for one reason or another who I think would make a positive impact. Really shows what Tally is up against!

Mooney, Kerr, Gerard McGovern, At least 3 of the Brannigans, Niall McParland, Connaire Harrison, Darragh O' Hanlon, Pearse Laverty, Shay Millar... and as an outlier Ciaran McCartan from the point.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 04/02/2020 19:05:30    2265184

Link

Replying To AnDunCeanada:  "I don't think its phrased properly, don't agree with the term "easily replaced" for example but do get his point. There are a lot of similar types of players on this Down team and too many being brutally honest who are average county players at best. But it is what it is and all hands are giving it their all which is all we can ask.

Since you asked, some players not starting for one reason or another who I think would make a positive impact. Really shows what Tally is up against!

Mooney, Kerr, Gerard McGovern, At least 3 of the Brannigans, Niall McParland, Connaire Harrison, Darragh O' Hanlon, Pearse Laverty, Shay Millar... and as an outlier Ciaran McCartan from the point."
Agreed , and your making my point, The term , easily replaced , is a nonsense ,Yes it would be great if all the above were available to Tally ,half of them injured right now ,the other half not in the country ,

germac (Down) - Posts: 271 - 04/02/2020 23:19:44    2265254

Link

Replying To germac:  "Agreed , and your making my point, The term , easily replaced , is a nonsense ,Yes it would be great if all the above were available to Tally ,half of them injured right now ,the other half not in the country ,"
It's a real pity when you look at it in context, with all available we could do some damage (although ironically still struggle for an out and out scorer aside from Donal)

For example: O'Hagan - McGovern - Niall Brannigan would be a serious full back line.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 05/02/2020 09:56:49    2265290

Link

Replying To germac:  "Agreed , and your making my point, The term , easily replaced , is a nonsense ,Yes it would be great if all the above were available to Tally ,half of them injured right now ,the other half not in the country ,"
Ok I agree. Easily replaced is not correct to say... my bad. Andunceaneda explained my point better.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 05/02/2020 11:34:33    2265316

Link

Mooney and Harrison when fit would start, but we just lack really top tier players, we don't have a Michael Murphy or Conor McManus, players who could start for Dublin or Kerry. We just hope that the development squads start producing those type of players. The Down County development plan said that by 2020 Down would start to see the benefits of that plan appear on the football field.
We have Liam Kerr, Corey Quinn and Conor Poland with more to follow hopefully. Without finding a corps of four or five elite players we will be a Division Two team that occasionally makes the top division but doesn't have the quality or depth of squad to stay there.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 05/02/2020 11:40:29    2265318

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "Mooney and Harrison when fit would start, but we just lack really top tier players, we don't have a Michael Murphy or Conor McManus, players who could start for Dublin or Kerry. We just hope that the development squads start producing those type of players. The Down County development plan said that by 2020 Down would start to see the benefits of that plan appear on the football field.
We have Liam Kerr, Corey Quinn and Conor Poland with more to follow hopefully. Without finding a corps of four or five elite players we will be a Division Two team that occasionally makes the top division but doesn't have the quality or depth of squad to stay there."
There's a bit of hope there alright but agree need a few of the players to really kick on. O' Hagan and Mooney aside don't know how many others jump out as good quality county players.

Saying that Kerr, Quinn, McCabe look useful players, so did Pearse Laverty before he got injured. I think Shane Annett and Liam Middleton have something about them too. Personally think Conor Poland at county level is average at best but he's obviously doing something right for management to keep picking him.

Have no idea myself but would wonder how much credit for the above players should go to the County Development Plan rather than their own clubs.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 05/02/2020 14:37:16    2265380

Link

In my post I said the development plan would deliver results by 2020, that was incorrect the date in the plan is 2022. Apologies for getting that wrong. I'm not sure which players are products of development squads, obviously their club will have played a large part in their progress. In regard to Conor Poland, he reminds me of Conor Maginn, very hard working, a real team player, I think he can develop into a fine player. Only doubt is his height is against him as a midfielder.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 53 - 05/02/2020 19:52:19    2265487

Link

Lads Conor Poland is not far of 30 years of age....

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 298 - 05/02/2020 20:17:14    2265497

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "In my post I said the development plan would deliver results by 2020, that was incorrect the date in the plan is 2022. Apologies for getting that wrong. I'm not sure which players are products of development squads, obviously their club will have played a large part in their progress. In regard to Conor Poland, he reminds me of Conor Maginn, very hard working, a real team player, I think he can develop into a fine player. Only doubt is his height is against him as a midfielder."
I'll look forward to 2022 then! Any hype on any potential prospects? The likes of McManus, Murphy and Clarke had hype around them since they were about 16.

Sort of agree with you re: Poland - I don't want to be harsh because he gives his all but I think he's a bit of a square peg. He's definitely very hard working and a team player as you say - but I don't think he has the passing nous to be a half forward like Maginn and as you said he's not tall enough for midfield. He turns over a lot of ball any time I've seen him at county level. I also think he's around 28/29 so not sure how much more development he will achieve. But I realise I'm being overly critical.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 90 - 05/02/2020 21:01:19    2265513

Link