Monaghan Forum

Club Football 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TearsIn85:  "I wouldn't find anything encouraging in that Clontibret performance against a very very poor Carrick team. The whole thing was a turgid affair, compounded by seeming endless extensions. Either team could have taken the game in one of the ET periods, but neither seemed inclined. Clontibret allowed a 2 goal (5 point?) lead to slip away in ordinary time. McManus was on for at around half of the game time, and scored 1-1 (maybe more?) so to to say they did it without him is a bit of a stretch.

Unless they can step it up a few notches, I sadly don't see them competing well in further rounds.

The goalkeeper won this for them by

1) getting most of his kick-outs away accurately
2) Saving 2 (if not 3?) penalties"
A very poor Carrick team? They're easily the 4th or 5th best team in the county.
McManus scored 1-02 out a possible 2-14, and came on with 10 minutes to go in normal time, and they still won, that's obviously a very encouraging sign for Clontibret, and would certainly not have happened in recent times. Obviously they need to step it up, but it's still an impressive result.
Scotstown and Ballybay the clear front runners though.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 84 - 26/08/2019 14:09:19    2229410

Link

Truagh must be loving this! League Champions, 9 point win over Blayney and not word about them.
Just one more point on Carrick v Clontibret; it took 12 minutes for extra time to get started. This is an absolute farce. Should be 5 minutes tops. People had sat long enough. In relation to McManus, he played well within himself but will come on for the game. Turning point was the goalline flick away by Clontibret No12 from O'Hanlon's pass, this was in the 2nd half of extra time and would have given Carrick a 2 point lead. Lastly, Jinxy took the exact same penalty v Ballybay in first game of the season and it was saved too.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 26/08/2019 15:06:28    2229443

Link

Replying To ginelli:  "Understand your frustration up to a point, but what difference does it make to somebody like Stephen o Hanlon if they played a championship match 4 or 5 weeks ago and get beat next weekend? They are still going to be out and have no meaningful football till next year is that not so?
I'm not a fan of the rush to condense everything either but if the county team had done the same as last year everyone would expect the county board to have the fixtures set up to facilitate the team. A case of damned if you do something and damned if you don't I think"
If a championship match was played 6 weeks, 4 weeks ago or 2 weeks ago.. it wouldn't matter to Stephen O'Hanlon as he wasn't in the country!

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 739 - 26/08/2019 16:06:10    2229464

Link

Is Monaghan the only county to implement penalty shoot outs? It's a farce.

Hardcore is dead right on this, games should have been started 2 weeks ago. If there is 3 week gap to the final so be it, same with Ulster club.

And to be honest the current system isn't fit for purpose, you have 10 teams, 3 groups of 2, 1 group of 4; implement a system along those lines.

What's going on in blayney?
Desperate year and thanks to clontibret being generous, theyd be in more trouble.

222 (UK) - Posts: 529 - 26/08/2019 17:32:18    2229491

Link

Replying To HB245:  "A very poor Carrick team? They're easily the 4th or 5th best team in the county.
McManus scored 1-02 out a possible 2-14, and came on with 10 minutes to go in normal time, and they still won, that's obviously a very encouraging sign for Clontibret, and would certainly not have happened in recent times. Obviously they need to step it up, but it's still an impressive result.
Scotstown and Ballybay the clear front runners though."
Hmm, maybe I should have qualified that as a poor Carrick team on the night. They might be 4 or 5 in the county but that game Saturday would have been a poor intermediate affair. Turgid, uninspiring, boring even.

There was no energy or snap abut them. No hunger. None of the free forward running and intricate passing we've come to admire over the last year or so. A lacklustre midfield, players dawdling towards the ball and getting beaten to it even when starting out in front. Shocking kick-out distribution (in the first half especially). Poor management decisions (taking off a soccer player right before penalty kicks ?!).

I'll repeat, I wouldn't think Clontibret should take any encouragement through participation in and a slippy victory over mediocrity.

TearsIn85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 93 - 26/08/2019 19:24:49    2229515

Link

Replying To 222:  "Is Monaghan the only county to implement penalty shoot outs? It's a farce.

Hardcore is dead right on this, games should have been started 2 weeks ago. If there is 3 week gap to the final so be it, same with Ulster club.

And to be honest the current system isn't fit for purpose, you have 10 teams, 3 groups of 2, 1 group of 4; implement a system along those lines.

What's going on in blayney?
Desperate year and thanks to clontibret being generous, theyd be in more trouble."
In defence of Blayney, all Clontibret did was return the favour from last year when Blayney did them a turn.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 26/08/2019 19:27:21    2229516

Link

Replying To TearsIn85:  "Hmm, maybe I should have qualified that as a poor Carrick team on the night. They might be 4 or 5 in the county but that game Saturday would have been a poor intermediate affair. Turgid, uninspiring, boring even.

There was no energy or snap abut them. No hunger. None of the free forward running and intricate passing we've come to admire over the last year or so. A lacklustre midfield, players dawdling towards the ball and getting beaten to it even when starting out in front. Shocking kick-out distribution (in the first half especially). Poor management decisions (taking off a soccer player right before penalty kicks ?!).

I'll repeat, I wouldn't think Clontibret should take any encouragement through participation in and a slippy victory over mediocrity."
Maybe there was none of the intricate passing because they simply weren't allowed to by the opposition. You call Carrick a "mediocre" team, but they're easily a top 5 team in Monaghan no matter what you say.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 84 - 26/08/2019 22:11:40    2229585

Link

The thing I don't get is why the league goes on for so long. Starts in March and typically finishes in November which is crazy. League should be finished before the Championship starts or certainly after the first few rounds. Also there should most certainly be no league matches after the championship finals. The Championship final is the showpiece game of the year and the team who wins their respective championship should be able to prepare for a tilt at Ulster Club after c'ship.

The league is a means to an end for most teams. I didn't even know who won the league last year only that another poster mentioned it. Last year the league final was on November 18th which is nuts.

I see Derry got their league wrapped up there last week and they have 12 teams per division whereas we have 10. As they say in the States - go figure.

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 749 - 26/08/2019 23:12:08    2229606

Link

Replying To HB245:  "Maybe there was none of the intricate passing because they simply weren't allowed to by the opposition. You call Carrick a "mediocre" team, but they're easily a top 5 team in Monaghan no matter what you say."
Carrick don't seem to be getting any credit for Saturday night. They fought back from being 5 points down twice. They seem to have a bit more about them. At the moment, they be the team to avoid in their side of the draw.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 27/08/2019 07:16:30    2229639

Link

Replying To Adler:  "The thing I don't get is why the league goes on for so long. Starts in March and typically finishes in November which is crazy. League should be finished before the Championship starts or certainly after the first few rounds. Also there should most certainly be no league matches after the championship finals. The Championship final is the showpiece game of the year and the team who wins their respective championship should be able to prepare for a tilt at Ulster Club after c'ship.

The league is a means to an end for most teams. I didn't even know who won the league last year only that another poster mentioned it. Last year the league final was on November 18th which is nuts.

I see Derry got their league wrapped up there last week and they have 12 teams per division whereas we have 10. As they say in the States - go figure."
So now you want most club footballers to have 4 1/2 month season. Nothing wrong with our club programme. It is the envy of many counties.

seamusorinn (USA) - Posts: 120 - 27/08/2019 23:21:21    2229978

Link

Replying To seamusorinn:  "So now you want most club footballers to have 4 1/2 month season. Nothing wrong with our club programme. It is the envy of many counties."
"So now you want most club footballers to have 4 1/2 month season"

No, no, no, no ,no ,no ,no ,no, no......well yes

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 749 - 29/08/2019 08:06:48    2230324

Link

Monaghan's club fixtures are generally run ok, still lots of improvement but we are still miles better off than other counties.
One thing i think should happen is, the league should be over before the championship starts.
One idea would be,
The weekend before the All-Ireland final is league final weekend!
The three finals be played over the friday and saturday, say the junior on the friday night and the inter/senior on the saturday and not just played on some random dates in november when the ground is heavy and nobody really bothered with them.
Players then to have All-Ireland weekend off and then championship starts the weekend after.
Seeing as there are no replays now you could finish off with all champ finals the same weekend by the start of October and create a great buzz around the games and make a festival of football which young and old could enjoy.

supernova (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 29/08/2019 16:39:27    2230479

Link

Looking at the senior championship will it be between Scotstown and Ballybay , will Clontibret have a say. Intermediate magheracloone look very strong in each game as do donaghmoyne it will maybe come down to the two . Junoir blackhill looks to found there feet at the right time drumhowan and clones there aswell so I believe this will be a tight championship.
Senior - Ballybay
Intermediate- donaghmoyne maybe just
Junoir - blackhill

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 158 - 01/09/2019 09:43:25    2231119

Link

Headache for County Board now. The replay of All Ireland basically rules out Saturday 14th as an option. So I'd be guessing Sunday night under lights in Blayney for Ballybay v Clontibret and Carrick v Inniskeen and a double header in probably Clones during the day for Scotstown v Truagh and Latton v Blayney. Other possibility is Scotstown v Truagh in Emyvale on the Friday night. And Latton v Blayney in Aughnamullen at 2 on Sunday, allowing Blayney stewards to get back to St Mary's for that evening.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 02/09/2019 09:06:23    2231705

Link

Intermediate Championship this weekend.
Few tight games, whats peoples thoughts?

Sean's v Aughnamullen - Aughnamullen by 2-3pts.
Harps v Killanny - Killanny to grind it out & win by 1pt.
Corduff v Maghercloone - Cant see anything other than a comfortable win for Maghercloone.
Donaghmoyne v Emyvale - Both struggled the first day out so another tight match but Donaghmoyne should win by a few pts in the end.

supernova (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 06/09/2019 08:50:06    2233208

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "Headache for County Board now. The replay of All Ireland basically rules out Saturday 14th as an option. So I'd be guessing Sunday night under lights in Blayney for Ballybay v Clontibret and Carrick v Inniskeen and a double header in probably Clones during the day for Scotstown v Truagh and Latton v Blayney. Other possibility is Scotstown v Truagh in Emyvale on the Friday night. And Latton v Blayney in Aughnamullen at 2 on Sunday, allowing Blayney stewards to get back to St Mary's for that evening."
Joke by county board. Ballybay v Clontibret at 2.30 in Blayney on Saturday.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 470 - 06/09/2019 08:50:18    2233209

Link

Replying To supernova:  "Intermediate Championship this weekend.
Few tight games, whats peoples thoughts?

Sean's v Aughnamullen - Aughnamullen by 2-3pts.
Harps v Killanny - Killanny to grind it out & win by 1pt.
Corduff v Maghercloone - Cant see anything other than a comfortable win for Maghercloone.
Donaghmoyne v Emyvale - Both struggled the first day out so another tight match but Donaghmoyne should win by a few pts in the end."
Seans v aughnamullen -- Aughnamullen by 4/5
Harps v killanny -- will be v tight , killanny by 2
Corduff v Magheracloone -- will be tight , magheracloone by 3
Emyvale v donaghmoyne-- Donaghmoyne by 4/5

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 06/09/2019 11:14:43    2233249

Link

Replying To MONAGHAN1985:  "Seans v aughnamullen -- Aughnamullen by 4/5
Harps v killanny -- will be v tight , killanny by 2
Corduff v Magheracloone -- will be tight , magheracloone by 3
Emyvale v donaghmoyne-- Donaghmoyne by 4/5"
Some good games at the weekend aughnamullen look good big lad back in midfield is a good help to them bannigan starting to play to his potential harps came strong when they needed too donaghmoyne yesterday show great heart to come back from what look like a certain defeat Emyvale will get it hard to bounce back from it junoir is starting to heat up here blackhill are back to there best and must off been to turn over a clones team that has been talk about a lot with mc bride there drumhowan will be there I feel on the final day I feel the ability to win big games is standing too them

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 158 - 09/09/2019 22:57:48    2234000

Link

I seen Rory Beggan scored a goal at the weekend, anyone see this? I assume it was a free/45 dropped into the net but nothing would surprise me now with him

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 700 - 10/09/2019 12:44:03    2234105

Link

I seen toome fought back last night to go through to the semi what's the pairing in junoir now also big games tomorrow in intermediate will thyholland hang in again

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 158 - 14/09/2019 13:43:12    2235194

Link