Fermanagh Forum

ULSTER SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2021

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Auzzieman213:  "That was a tough watch. Monaghan 1-21 vs Fermanagh 0-14.
We drop every man behind the ball and didn't push up for any kick outs in the first half while still conceding 1-11… Joke. People saying we play a more expansive game, someone please explain this?
How can you win a game playing 3 defenders in your forward line. Did we actually want to win this game or was it damage limitation? There is absolutely no structure in our attack and all I could hear Ricey saying on the line was "KEEP THE BALL..".
After today's humiliation (conceding 1-21 with 15 men behind the ball) that has topped of 2 seasons with the current management with a record of 2/15 competitive games won. Might I add the two games won were by 1 single point and both at home at Brewster park. That's right.. we have never won a game outside Brewster park. Unfortunately the facts do not lie. We have not only went backwards in 2 years but we have managed to get stuck in reverse. A 7 point defeat against Down in last years championship and now a 10 point defeat this year.. don't get me started on the league match against Derry (19 points between us).
Can someone tell me what this 'management team' has brought the last 2 years. Your boy Mc Iver saying he has lost his confidence after last years campaign. Are we actually paying this? What type of Mickey Mouse setup is this? On a positive note, congratulations and fair play to Patsy Tracey for sponsoring the team for the last 30 years. I just feel sorry for him having to pay this current management team with a success rate of just over 13%. I bet no other company would put up with this. If only the pass rate for my GCSE's we're as low as that."
A rather scathing attack on management but unfortunately true in content. I'm so disappointed. As I said earlier they need to take the game to Monaghan but alas they didn't push up. I think that you have encapsulated all in what I and many others are thinking right now. Time for a total overhaul otherwise my standing order with Club Erin will have to be reconsidered. Let's hope the County Board people do the right thing for the betterment of our county lads.

ekn_teacher (Fermanagh) - Posts: 246 - 03/07/2021 19:33:14    2355715

Link

Hard to argue with any of the latest comments on this. A really disappointing performance that has summed us up the past 2 years.
Ricey's interview on BBC after the game annoyed me, playing up on this "player driven" ethic. Is this putting blame on players?
We look completely clueless in most games in both defence and attack, and today on kickouts. Is there a strategy in anything we do?
Are we as a county paying a clueless man to just let the players drive the thing themselves?
Falling out with key players, making them unavailable doesn't help the thing either. Something needs to change ....

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 120 - 04/07/2021 00:43:03    2355871

Link

There is no doubt that Ricey has had a tough introduction to intercounty management, with Covid, then Cullens having to opt out both beyond his control, then having experienced players leaving the panel when needed most. Bringing through the young players is the right thing to do, they need exposure to what is expected at this level. However the gamplan isnt still clear when watching the team and this apparent new attacking approach isnt something I have observed this season.

Looking forward, if Ricey is to complete year 3 of his term then he needs to freshen up the backroom team, hopefully the 2 Cullens might be back to give our defence some much needed physicality and keep Kelm on the panel. The longer league campaign should help the younger players develop.
The issues facing Fermanagh run beyond the control of management though, the attitude and commitment level to the county team needs to be raised. Maurice McLaughlin mentioned on it after last weeks minor defeat and previous senior teams have touched on the lack of belief in county and the "content to compete outlook" A prime example is yesterday opponents, Monaghan, they get the maximum out of their resources, every player good enough is on panel,no withdrawals or early retirements(Finlay,one and Corey) and they dont have any inferiority complex. Two of our best prospects from St Micks tea have already committed to soccer for the forseeable. Potenitally being in the tailteann cup might not make inter county the most appealing for players to committ,so the league will be vital next year in ultra competitive div 3.

The minor team did quite well and for Fermanagh football to progress we need 10-12 of that panel to be making the step into senior football over the next 2/3 years.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 923 - 04/07/2021 19:11:33    2356162

Link

Thanks to the players and the mangement team for all their efforts. Disappointing end to the season and hope the back door system returns next year. Some positives though like the young players coming in sean mcnally and luke flanagan etc. Staying in Division 3 is a positive when we were predicted to go down at the start of the year to division 4. Hope Donnelly returns next year. Still not convinced by McMenamin but if still there next year we need to be looking at promotion to division 2. Would have took Mickey Harte before he went to louth. Would like to see Fermanagh play with sean and donnelly both in the full forward line and drop high balls on top of them like kerry used to do with Tommy walsh and Kieran Donaghy, think it would create more goal chances for us.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 58 - 04/07/2021 20:19:05    2356206

Link

Replying To macca999:  "There is no doubt that Ricey has had a tough introduction to intercounty management, with Covid, then Cullens having to opt out both beyond his control, then having experienced players leaving the panel when needed most. Bringing through the young players is the right thing to do, they need exposure to what is expected at this level. However the gamplan isnt still clear when watching the team and this apparent new attacking approach isnt something I have observed this season.

Looking forward, if Ricey is to complete year 3 of his term then he needs to freshen up the backroom team, hopefully the 2 Cullens might be back to give our defence some much needed physicality and keep Kelm on the panel. The longer league campaign should help the younger players develop.
The issues facing Fermanagh run beyond the control of management though, the attitude and commitment level to the county team needs to be raised. Maurice McLaughlin mentioned on it after last weeks minor defeat and previous senior teams have touched on the lack of belief in county and the "content to compete outlook" A prime example is yesterday opponents, Monaghan, they get the maximum out of their resources, every player good enough is on panel,no withdrawals or early retirements(Finlay,one and Corey) and they dont have any inferiority complex. Two of our best prospects from St Micks tea have already committed to soccer for the forseeable. Potenitally being in the tailteann cup might not make inter county the most appealing for players to committ,so the league will be vital next year in ultra competitive div 3.

The minor team did quite well and for Fermanagh football to progress we need 10-12 of that panel to be making the step into senior football over the next 2/3 years."
Who's the players committed to the soccer?

Would Corrigan or Ryan Jones go back? They opted out this year.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2364 - 04/07/2021 20:26:20    2356212

Link

I doubt they will go back if the management is the same.

shotgun (Fermanagh) - Posts: 120 - 04/07/2021 21:09:23    2356248

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "Thanks to the players and the mangement team for all their efforts. Disappointing end to the season and hope the back door system returns next year. Some positives though like the young players coming in sean mcnally and luke flanagan etc. Staying in Division 3 is a positive when we were predicted to go down at the start of the year to division 4. Hope Donnelly returns next year. Still not convinced by McMenamin but if still there next year we need to be looking at promotion to division 2. Would have took Mickey Harte before he went to louth. Would like to see Fermanagh play with sean and donnelly both in the full forward line and drop high balls on top of them like kerry used to do with Tommy walsh and Kieran Donaghy, think it would create more goal chances for us."
does it really matter what manager we get? we don't have the players

Blitzkrig (Fermanagh) - Posts: 23 - 05/07/2021 09:38:08    2356363

Link

Replying To FoolsGold:  "Who's the players committed to the soccer?

Would Corrigan or Ryan Jones go back? They opted out this year."
Michael Glynn and Decky McBrien both now with Dungannon Swifts

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 923 - 05/07/2021 10:38:13    2356406

Link

They were both good forwards on that St Michaels team
Glynn was on the frees

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2364 - 05/07/2021 18:54:30    2356684

Link

I think we may focus more on our minors and U20s who both show more promise than our seniors!
Last night's
Ulster u20 Football Championship Quarter Final
Fermanagh 2-13 Antrim 0-10

They now who will play Down next weekend.

erneboy (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1337 - 10/07/2021 09:12:26    2358232

Link

Yes positive result from the under 20s last night, the progression from minor to the 20s team will be helped the management team stepping up, hopefully they can keep this team togethers and keep them developing through to senior.

Down next weekend be huge test, strange that game in Carryduff,must have tossed for advantage,Pairc Esler must be in use that night.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 923 - 10/07/2021 12:23:56    2358258

Link

Replying To macca999:  "Yes positive result from the under 20s last night, the progression from minor to the 20s team will be helped the management team stepping up, hopefully they can keep this team togethers and keep them developing through to senior.

Down next weekend be huge test, strange that game in Carryduff,must have tossed for advantage,Pairc Esler must be in use that night."
Carryduff ,were you get that from, This game will probably be in Armagh

germac (Down) - Posts: 329 - 10/07/2021 17:28:55    2358315

Link

Replying To germac:  "Carryduff ,were you get that from, This game will probably be in Armagh"
It was on Ulster GAA website this morning, but see now its down for Athletic Grounds in Armagh

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 923 - 10/07/2021 18:56:21    2358353

Link

Replying To macca999:  "It was on Ulster GAA website this morning, but see now its down for Athletic Grounds in Armagh"
Yea thought that would be the venue, A real 50 50 game next week with yourselves backboned with Hogan winners, our boys looked good v Cavan , With yourselves making good strides at u age ,you probably start as favourites ,

germac (Down) - Posts: 329 - 10/07/2021 22:06:59    2358427

Link

Replying To germac:  "Yea thought that would be the venue, A real 50 50 game next week with yourselves backboned with Hogan winners, our boys looked good v Cavan , With yourselves making good strides at u age ,you probably start as favourites ,"
U20 had a good result against Antrim, however it was Antrim, no real pedigree in terms of opposition. Down will be the challenge, all this talk about the Hogan Cup winning team of a few years back has not really materialized into anything meaningful.

Blitzkrig (Fermanagh) - Posts: 23 - 12/07/2021 15:38:32    2359057

Link