Donegal Forum

Intermediate

(Oldest Posts First)

Burt fully deserved their win. By far the better coached and disciplined team. Just proves league position/form doesn't matter in championship. Glenswilly are one loss away from being relegated yet they r 60 mins from championship glory. Referee plus a couple of unforced errors kept Milford in the game. Watching the game today u would b sure Burt were the higher ranked league team. But, winning a few league games means nothing when it comes to championship. Thought the Burt no 6 ran the game today and Milford left him free to play his own game. What were Milford at leaving it 1 v 1 at the back? Hon the glen.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 16/10/2016 01:22:03    1926567

Link

Congrats Burt. Great fighters until the end. Well deserved victory.
Supporters though, showed a lack in class booing the Milford free takers. Not all. But there was a big majority.

Wouldn't let them take away from a great team achievement. Hope they do the business today. Shocking that they are playing one day later.

fielder (Donegal) - Posts: 98 - 16/10/2016 10:34:19    1926580

Link

How the hell did the county board and the ccc let this happen AGAIN. You have to feel for Burt today having to play the down champions. An absolutely disgrace and utter joke. Donegal exited the championship at the quarterfinal stage and this still happened. This will continue if they are let get away with it! Jim mcguinness has a lot to answer for. Ok we won one all Ireland but everyone is suffering since

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 16/10/2016 11:06:31    1926587

Link

Its a disgrace, the clubs players are second class citizens it the GAA.No need to expand just plain simple fact

gohome (USA) - Posts: 20 - 16/10/2016 11:55:00    1926595

Link

It is just one of those things where the Ulster Council would not move on account of some Down hurling fixtures next weekend. Congrats to Burt I seen them beat Cloughaneely in the quarters and they were the hungrier fitter team that day. On that day their No 10 is it Boyle? Hit some great scores including frees which was the main difference. Hopefully they can get the win today despite the fixture mess.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 16/10/2016 13:17:55    1926613

Link

Hon the Glen! The league doesn't matter. It's all
Bout champo. #welldoneburt
We will probably be in div 2 next year but who cares. #onlyoneshowintown

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 17/10/2016 00:20:40    1926763

Link

Congrats to Burt on winning the intermediate championship, great achievement for the. What a disgrace they had to play the Ulster club match less than 24 hours later. It is beyond belief that they were made play the game, surely there are some player protection protocols in place to stop this. What next - a team being asked to play 2 games on the same day?

I think blaming JMcG is not the answer. This is happening all over the country and not unique to our county. The GAA really need to have a proper fixtures calendar in place and make sure all counties stick to it. The imbalance of the provincial championships does not help. You really can't blame the county managers for wanting their players to be fresh.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 18/10/2016 11:17:41    1927192

Link

How the hell did the county board and the ccc let this happen AGAIN. You have to feel for Burt today having to play the down champions. An absolutely disgrace and utter joke. Donegal exited the championship at the quarterfinal stage and this still happened. This will continue if they are let get away with it! Jim mcguinness has a lot to answer for. Ok we won one all Ireland but everyone is suffering since

crnm (Donegal) - Posts:43 - 16/10/2016 11:06:31

Ah come on now ... how the hell is Jim McGuinness to blame for this!! Are you telling me there was no fixture congestion before 2010...?

supporter (Donegal) - Posts: 205 - 18/10/2016 13:18:34    1927232

Link

That's exactly what I'm telling you. You never had 3 championship games in a week that's for sure. The 2012 club championship set a precedent which has been used by the county board since. Jim forced the county board into postponing the club championship til after the all Ireland final which resulted in a congested championship which was ran over a few weeks.

Now you may say it was the clubs who had the final say and you would be right. My point is this should of only been a once off event but the fact it happened gave the scope for it to be exceptable. I've been playing club championship for nearly 20 years and trust me since 2012 it's a disgrace. I remember there used to be a rule where you couldn't have championship games in consecutive weeks or something to that effect. Changed times !! Maybe this club players association which is starting up will end the mistreatment

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 18/10/2016 23:16:00    1927420

Link

Well look I don't agree with condensing club games into short periods of one time of the year it shouldn't be happening. But it's overly simplistic to blame on one man or to say that it's only been happening since 2012! I don't believe that what happened here in 2012 is any worse than what happening just now or in recent years in Dublin (playing midweek games etc) to finish out their championship quickly. And by the way I don't know Jim McGuinness personally at all - it's just it seems that it's fashionable to blame him for all the ills of gaelic football which just doesn't make any sense....

supporter (Donegal) - Posts: 205 - 19/10/2016 12:25:12    1927534

Link

Replying To supporter:  "Well look I don't agree with condensing club games into short periods of one time of the year it shouldn't be happening. But it's overly simplistic to blame on one man or to say that it's only been happening since 2012! I don't believe that what happened here in 2012 is any worse than what happening just now or in recent years in Dublin (playing midweek games etc) to finish out their championship quickly. And by the way I don't know Jim McGuinness personally at all - it's just it seems that it's fashionable to blame him for all the ills of gaelic football which just doesn't make any sense...."
Agree with this post. It's fashionable to blame county managers but they are naturally going to want their players in peak condition. The GAA really need a proper fixtures calendar which gives over time to club football. Every county should have to adhere to it.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 19/10/2016 13:29:02    1927569

Link

Championship schedules were not as bad pre 2012, since then we've had ridiculous scenarios. Jim is responsible for the congestion in 2012 no doubt about that. He asked for championship games to be put bk til after the final to avoid injuries which you can see his point. After the shambles that year the county board should of implemented a fixture plan to make sure it would never happen again but that never happened. They have adopted the policy "if we did it once we can do it again" and it will continue to happen unless we the club players make a stand. I urge as many club players as possible to join and support the CPA when it's up and running. If we all stand together we will achieve a fair system

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 20/10/2016 12:04:32    1927830

Link

Its not just a problem in Donegal. I play football in Sligo and even though they are knocked out of championship early every year they still only finished their county finals a week before us.
I don't see the problem being club v county. an overall fixture list should be designed and kept to. Club players don't mind gap weeks once they can prepare for them. Its the not knowing when your playing that is the killer. The weddings and Holidays that cant be booked because there might be football.
That is what kills me as a club player and I know its the same for some players in Donegal.

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1208 - 20/10/2016 13:31:17    1927866

Link

Replying To dstuction:  "Its not just a problem in Donegal. I play football in Sligo and even though they are knocked out of championship early every year they still only finished their county finals a week before us.
I don't see the problem being club v county. an overall fixture list should be designed and kept to. Club players don't mind gap weeks once they can prepare for them. Its the not knowing when your playing that is the killer. The weddings and Holidays that cant be booked because there might be football.
That is what kills me as a club player and I know its the same for some players in Donegal."
Totally agree, its a country-wide problem, sure they are playing mid-week championship games in Dublin. The GAA need to come up with a overall fixtures schedule to accommodate both county and club football. Let's be honest the GAA want more money so will always give preference to the county team, so hopefully the new Club Players Association (CPA) will redress this imbalance. It's just not on that a club can't even plan for a holiday, wedding or whatever.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 20/10/2016 14:30:28    1927894

Link