Donegal Forum

Biggest Donegal club football rivalry

(Oldest Posts First)

Hello all - I'm doing a little article on club rivalries around Ireland - what would be regarded as the biggest rivalry in Donegal?
What's the first pair of teams that come to mind?
I suppose for older heads that opinion might be based on a longer time frame, but it would be interesting to see what people think on this site?
Any anecdotes or stories, incidents, controversies, good relations, bad relations all welcome.

diarmaid39 (UK) - Posts: 8 - 24/08/2016 20:23:24    1905517

Link

Going back 50 odd years I'd say GWEEDORE v DUNGLOE
I was only a young fellow before I left for England and I was at a championship game between the two. It was the hardest toughest game I saw
Both were Gaeltagh teams and the only word of English you would hear was F..k. And you would hear plenty of that.
Was at the Ulster final of 2006 in Dublin and met two GWEEDORE women back from Glasgow for the game, both were on about years gone by and the riveraly between the two teams. How the women of GWEEDORE would dress up in green skirt and white blouse with the DUNGLOE women dressed up in red skirts and white blouse. The was the team colours.

SamOnErrigal (Donegal) - Posts: 1427 - 24/08/2016 21:27:07    1905542

Link

Ballyshannon versus Killybegs in the 90's , the best club football ever played in the county .

red.hugh (Donegal) - Posts: 156 - 25/08/2016 09:13:00    1905621

Link

Where im from in clare there have been lots of different rivalries over the years but they fade away as one or both clubs might fall off the map with relegation etc. The one that still endures today even though both clubs arent always going well these days is newmarket and clarecastle. that was a very keen rivalry from the late 60s early 70s and is still the main one that is talked about today. .
Clarecastle were in black and white and called the magpies - if newmarket won they would drive through the village of clarecastle throwing dead magpies all over the street that they would have killed during the week. Lots of anecdotes like that
Would the Donegal gaeltacht rivalry be the main one then or is there others worthy of mention?

diarmaid39 (UK) - Posts: 8 - 25/08/2016 09:45:38    1905636

Link

Biggest club rivalry is probably between Glenswilly and Glenswilly - they're always fighting

LKGael (Donegal) - Posts: 234 - 25/08/2016 10:41:29    1905662

Link

Looking at the roll of honour of final appearances and winners it looks like eunans and gweedore is the biggest rivalry but the facts could be misleading.
killybegs and columbas played a lot of finals against each other in the 90s.
I suppose what i am looking for is when you consider everything that goes into a rivalry what is the big one in donegal over the last few decades?

diarmaid39 (UK) - Posts: 8 - 25/08/2016 12:43:50    1905745

Link

Replying To SamOnErrigal:  "Going back 50 odd years I'd say GWEEDORE v DUNGLOE
I was only a young fellow before I left for England and I was at a championship game between the two. It was the hardest toughest game I saw
Both were Gaeltagh teams and the only word of English you would hear was F..k. And you would hear plenty of that.
Was at the Ulster final of 2006 in Dublin and met two GWEEDORE women back from Glasgow for the game, both were on about years gone by and the riveraly between the two teams. How the women of GWEEDORE would dress up in green skirt and white blouse with the DUNGLOE women dressed up in red skirts and white blouse. The was the team colours."
They girls do the same in our town -their called school uniforms

LKGael (Donegal) - Posts: 234 - 25/08/2016 15:59:32    1905901

Link

thanks for all that - if anyone happens to have any stories around such rivalries do continue to post here or drop a line to [email protected]

diarmaid39 (UK) - Posts: 8 - 26/08/2016 10:59:16    1906238

Link

Gweedore Vs Dungloe is definitely the biggest rivalry spanning back years and years. I have heard a story of a match between Dungloe and Gweedore up in Dungloe. Not sure what year but the Football Field was the opposite side of the road to where the current field is today running parallel to the road. A fight broke out on the field and from there went as far as the main street where even the parish priest was stuck in the middle of it trying to stop the fighting. Even in the 90s I remember going to a few games down in Magheragallon and every one was a blood bath!

apple12 (Donegal) - Posts: 82 - 26/08/2016 12:50:12    1906302

Link

As with most counties the fiercest rivalries are between neighbouring clubs. Not matter how the season is going the one game you do not want to loose is against your nearest and dearest. As mentioned Dungloe v Gweedore is a big despite Dungloe not winning a championship since the 50's and Gweedore having claimed just 2 since the early 60's.

Glenties v Ardara is another massive rivalry. No love lost between Buncrana and Burt either, always a dog fight when they meet and I think it's similar when Kilcar meet N.Columba and Killybegs.

In recent years I suppose a three way rivalry between St. Eunans, Glenswilly and Gelnties do the the dominance of these clubs.

Antifa (Donegal) - Posts: 143 - 05/10/2016 14:32:14    1922863

Link

Replying To apple12:  "Gweedore Vs Dungloe is definitely the biggest rivalry spanning back years and years. I have heard a story of a match between Dungloe and Gweedore up in Dungloe. Not sure what year but the Football Field was the opposite side of the road to where the current field is today running parallel to the road. A fight broke out on the field and from there went as far as the main street where even the parish priest was stuck in the middle of it trying to stop the fighting. Even in the 90s I remember going to a few games down in Magheragallon and every one was a blood bath!"
At bit of an exaggeration there with your bloodbath in Maghergallon!

PastandPresent (Donegal) - Posts: 345 - 06/10/2016 10:48:05    1923149

Link

Replying To PastandPresent:  "At bit of an exaggeration there with your bloodbath in Maghergallon!"
Just emphasizing how hard hitting and intense the games were which did lead to plenty of bloodshed!

apple12 (Donegal) - Posts: 82 - 12/10/2016 22:24:06    1925556

Link

Saw plenty of blood shed in games between DUNGLOE/GWEEDORE in Ballybofey in the 60's
Leaving aside DUNGLOE , ask any of the older boys who played in the 60's with the likes of McCumhaills St Eunans and St Joseph's ( Bundoran/ Ballyshannon) did they look forward going to Maghergallon to play a game. If you asked them of their experiences of games there I bet they would have some stories to tell

SamOnErrigal (Donegal) - Posts: 1427 - 13/10/2016 16:21:05    1925811

Link