Donegal Forum

Donegal vs Down

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yes Gary, I agree with your preference of Ryan instead of Mark McHugh.
Seems to have bulked up over the past year and looking much stronger,
A very intelligent, hard working player who has perfected his timing to 'ghost in' for a score,
Mark had a great year in 2012, feeling sorry for him as he has never regained his mojo since sustaining a nasty injury in the '13 Ulster final.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 409 - 04/02/2016 19:38:54    1822376

Link

Interesting to read your thoughts Gary. I always agreed with you regarding the McHughs its one or the other and that is no brainer as to which one at the moment. Plus Eoin McHugh is progressing well and has the pace needed to break quickly which Donegal missed last year especially against Mayo which makes me struggle to think where Mark will play. Surprised he is back to be honest as he was like a lost little lamb against Mayo. As for the U-21's I have a sneaky feeling that next year and the following year will be their time but hope I am wrong and they win an Ulster this year as well. As for Declan Bonner as the next manager he is in pole position if Rory has a poor year this year but worth keeping an eye on how things develop in Glasgow as clearly all not well there at the mo which has been the case for alot of the season.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 04/02/2016 19:57:35    1822387

Link

Don't know why posters on here are so assured of Declan Bonner making the cut as the next senior manager. He was there before and he definitely cost Donegal a minor all Ireland title last year. He had a lot of talent at his disposal but against Derry got it all wrong.He played the wrong players and Iam surprised he was given the U21 job.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 349 - 04/02/2016 21:46:52    1822420

Link

Declan Bonner is the right man for the U-21 job on the basis he has been involved in the development of most of the players involved since they were U-16's and knows them best. I would have reservations about him getting the Donegal job again. You are right lowball the management had a stinker against Derry, the kick out strategy was the losing of the game and why on earth this was not identified mid game I will never know.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 05/02/2016 15:40:45    1822631

Link

Declan Bonner is the right man for the U-21 job on the basis he has been involved in the development of most of the players involved since they were U-16's and knows them best. I would have reservations about him getting the Donegal job again. You are right lowball the management had a stinker against Derry, the kick out strategy was the losing of the game and why on earth this was not identified mid game I will never know.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts:129 - 05/02/2016 15:40:45 1822631

I genuinely think Donegal will win the Ulster U21 Championship this year, and they probably should have won it last year to be fair. And if they do, I have no doubt Declan Bonner will then be seen as a worthy successor to Rory Gallagher. However that may well change if Gallagher wins an Ulster Championship.

While Bonner may have made quite a few tactical mistakes against Derry last year, I thought Derry were just better on the day. Donegal seriously lacked firepower last season, where the year before they were far stronger.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 07/02/2016 13:36:57    1823022

Link

They did not lack firepower when they hammered Armagh in the Athletic Grounds Gary nor in the Ulster minor league. I think Donegal on the day seriously under performed and yes Derry were the better side on the day. In saying that Donegal missed a penalty to win it at the death and had numerous silly wides in the 2nd half in front of the posts and lost by a point. They probably bottled it on the day with the weight of expectation on them after the win in Armagh and their relatively comfortable Ulster Minor League success. Take Conor Glass out of the game and Donegal would have won easy yet Donegal played into Derry hands by kicking the ball in Glass's direction nearly every kick out when a blind could see variation was needed. Anyways its done and time will tell what the players involved learned and how they develop.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 07/02/2016 14:48:20    1823042

Link

They did not lack firepower when they hammered Armagh in the Athletic Grounds Gary nor in the Ulster minor league. I think Donegal on the day seriously under performed and yes Derry were the better side on the day. In saying that Donegal missed a penalty to win it at the death and had numerous silly wides in the 2nd half in front of the posts and lost by a point. They probably bottled it on the day with the weight of expectation on them after the win in Armagh and their relatively comfortable Ulster Minor League success. Take Conor Glass out of the game and Donegal would have won easy yet Donegal played into Derry hands by kicking the ball in Glass's direction nearly every kick out when a blind could see variation was needed. Anyways its done and time will tell what the players involved learned and how they develop.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts:132 - 07/02/2016 14:48:20 1823042

Ah they definitely lacked firepower, the Donegal forwards were shockingly bad despite the amount of chances they had. Conor Glass gave a memorable performance, but apart from him, I felt there was very little else between the two sides. Stephen McMenamin was the stand out player for Donegal in that game, I thought it was Neil McGee Jnr I was seeing. I haven't seen him play since, but read he is in the senior panel this year.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 07/02/2016 21:33:08    1823270

Link

Ah Gary I agree with you on alot of things but to suggest that teams were equal enough if you take Glass out is nonsense. Take Conor Glass from that Derry team that day and Donegal win by 3-6 points playing badly. He was worth at least 6 points to Derry on the day. I had seen that Donegal team play a couple of times before the Derry match and the lack of fire power was down to bottle on the day Gary imho. They put on an exhibition against Armagh in scoring in the previous round. Anyways like I said its done and lets see how players from sides develop. I know where my money will be if they meet in a couple of years time at U-21 level.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 08/02/2016 11:40:29    1823391

Link

Ah Gary I agree with you on alot of things but to suggest that teams were equal enough if you take Glass out is nonsense. Take Conor Glass from that Derry team that day and Donegal win by 3-6 points playing badly. He was worth at least 6 points to Derry on the day. I had seen that Donegal team play a couple of times before the Derry match and the lack of fire power was down to bottle on the day Gary imho. They put on an exhibition against Armagh in scoring in the previous round. Anyways like I said its done and lets see how players from sides develop. I know where my money will be if they meet in a couple of years time at U-21 level.

Ah but Donegal's U21 side contains a lot of talent from the 2014 Minor side, where last years Minor side (2015) were not as good in my opinion. They were well drilled, very solid looking, but didn't have as many stand out men on the team. I have already tipped the Donegal U21 side to win Ulster this year and I think they will pose a serious challenge for the All Ireland U21 title.

Conor Glass stood out by a country mile for Derry, and I agree he was the reason Derry won. But I still don't think Donegal were that much better around the park, although Stephen McMenamin stood out, mainly as I thought a bearded Neil McGee had lined out for the Minors. I think he will be a massive player for Donegal in the future, a real gritty defender who reads the game exceptionally well.

Derry had neglected U21 Level for a long time now, but are starting to understand the need to invest and nuture players at that grade and will hopefully start to succeed in the next few years.

GaryMc82 (Derry) - Posts: 3005 - 09/02/2016 17:06:20    1824112

Link