Donegal Forum

McKenna Cup

(Oldest Posts First)

I know its only January, players only back training etc, experimental sides etc, not showing other teams our hand etc, but is anyone else concerned about our performances and our complete lack of scoring in the McKenna cup? some of the sides we faced weren't exactly world beaters, nor did we put out that many inexperienced players....but to score only 8 points in 70 mins (for the 2nd game in a row) against Fermanagh? and that's no disrespect for Fermanagh, they will get a lot of our respect on June 14th, that is for sure... We are in for a difficult year in Division 1

donegalcelt (Donegal) - Posts: 141 - 14/01/2016 08:39:48    1816476

Link

donegalcelt I think you have hit the nail on the head, we don't score enough. I believe we were averaging about 11 points per game last year and needed goals to win games. I didn't see the game last night but in the two opening games I thought the new players did well but we struggled to get scores. Rory and the management team will need to get this sorted if we are going to be a force in the championship as 11 points won't beat good sides.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 14/01/2016 10:30:09    1816507

Link

Relax lads. It's early yet. We have plenty of players well able to score from distance ti combat blanket defenses.
I think we need to target wins against Cork at home, Down and Roscommon. That should be just about enough to stay up. Give the youngsters a good run and introduce the senior players gradually.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7110 - 14/01/2016 11:27:16    1816541

Link

Bang on analysis. The lack of scoring power is now a huge concern. Donegal have an abundance of tall rangey players who like to run with the ball but scoring forwards are like hens teeth. Most teams will now just set up very defensive against Donegal in the knowledge that if they keep the scoreboard ticking over they have great chance of winning. I only saw the second half of the St Marys game but left feeling very underwhelmed to say the least. Then you look at the score Down put up against them and it puts things into perspective. Fermanagh were being offered at even money last night which I thought was a gift based on what I saw Sunday afternoon. Saying that I would never bet against Donegal.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 14/01/2016 11:50:14    1816554

Link

Playing with 1-2 forwards worked in 2012 because nobody had us figured out : we broke from the back and it worked to perfection.

Last year V Mayo , it was virtually impossible for us to score as we had at times only one player in their half . We therefore rely on long range scores which no side will manage to convert all the time . We need a new game plan or at least a change .

Despite all that , its really early so we won't panic just yet . It's great that there are 13 under 21 players in the panel . Hopefully Rory plays 4-5 of these lads in a few weeks .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 14/01/2016 14:31:45    1816613

Link

as has been pointed out previously on this forum, if we are still working on the same tactics as we were in 2012, then we're in bigger trouble than what we think.....but the only way to have a look at the young lads is to give them game time I suppose....but the lack of scoring power is a real concern, as is the inability to take the score when the player is within the scoring zone...14 wide's in the Ulster Final against a Monaghan team who were then roundly thumped by Tyrone 3 weeks later still makes me angry, the supporters will be even more angrier if this deficiency within the panel isn't worked on in the months ahead. Time will tell, I do hope Rory and the Team go on to prove me wrong on all the points I have made.

donegalcelt (Donegal) - Posts: 141 - 14/01/2016 16:32:58    1816667

Link

Very worrying times for Donegal ... the bubble is well and truly on the way to bursting. I got the feeling much of last season was spent trying to achieve what Jim McGuinness did but in a friendlier sort of way. What that led to was a Donegal team playing in an Ulster final and quarter final that was so unfit it was hard to believe and lacking in ideas aswell. The way things are going Donegal will be relegated and will do very well to make Croker in August. Youse should have moved heaven and earth to keep Jim McGuinness.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 14/01/2016 17:28:13    1816690

Link

Giveme30 - don't get too worried about us , I'm sure we will be fine .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 15/01/2016 12:12:38    1816826

Link

the right stuff- and what makes you think Donegal will be fine. You mean to tell me that this past 18 months or so hasnt seen a marked change (for the worse) in everything Jim Mc Guinness put into place? Donegal are now reverting to what they were pre McGuiness, a softer touch. The hard edge has dwindled, Monaghan and mayo last year told us that. 12 months before that Donegal were the best team in Ireland.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts: 63 - 15/01/2016 12:50:58    1816846

Link

the right stuff- and what makes you think Donegal will be fine. You mean to tell me that this past 18 months or so hasnt seen a marked change (for the worse) in everything Jim Mc Guinness put into place? Donegal are now reverting to what they were pre McGuiness, a softer touch. The hard edge has dwindled, Monaghan and mayo last year told us that. 12 months before that Donegal were the best team in Ireland.

giveme30 (Dublin) - Posts:15 - 15/01/2016 12:50:58

I think we were flying last year up until the Ulster final. The only reason we lost to Monaghan was because of awful shooting. We beat a very good Tyrone side. After we hammered Galway , we had a week to prepare for a fresh and hungry Mayo side . People keep referring to this Donegal side as old however I believe we have an awesome number of superb young players. Our game plan does need to change and I believe it will. I think we are still in the top three to five sides in Ireland.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 15/01/2016 17:20:06    1816928

Link

I think you both make some valid points giveme and TRS. I also think that Donegal are a softer touch without McGuinness no doubt. I think the change of management has had a big impact on the team and I am not sure Donegal are as tactically astute with Jim. For example would big Neil have marked Aidan O'Shea with Jim as manager? I doubt it it would have been Eamon. I also agree that relegation is a very distinct possibility this season but time will tell and much will depend on how the younger players perform. However TRS was right in saying that the Ulster final was down to poor shooting. How can u attribute poor fitness the way Donegal finished the match? The game against Mayo ended up being a disaster that was decided mainly by 2 moments. A great goal by Aidan O'Shea combined with poor defending on Donegal's behalf. Big Neil would have prevented the goal if he stayed on his feet rather than compete. Then there was the hapless Mark McHugh on his ass offering no protection. Then the 2nd goal after half time where Lee Keegan mishit his point attempt and ended up looping over Papa. Donegal are as strong as any side in the country still 1 to 12. The problems are the inside forward line. TRS is right though Donegal have serious talent coming through and far from a busted flush. Of course how these players develop will determine future success but I believe Donegal will still be around August time.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 15/01/2016 20:10:17    1816958

Link