Donegal Forum

SAM For The Hills This Christmas

(Oldest Posts First)

Looking the lads over the weekend doing there great charity work and fair play to all involved . I got the impression Physically each lad was looking very strong and has / is matured/ maturing into fine strong men .

Down in that in that swimming pool in Castlebar I knew our lads would struggle with Mayo's physical power and in fairness that is power has been impressive for years . Mayo have pushed the dubs to there limits, even with all there resources the dubs have only ever got over Mayo by a point or so on the big day .

I think this winter we can bring a lot to the table strength , speed and plenty of natural football ability .

ballyshannon (Donegal) - Posts: 134 - 20/07/2020 16:11:40    2284646

Link

Replying To ballyshannon:  "Looking the lads over the weekend doing there great charity work and fair play to all involved . I got the impression Physically each lad was looking very strong and has / is matured/ maturing into fine strong men .

Down in that in that swimming pool in Castlebar I knew our lads would struggle with Mayo's physical power and in fairness that is power has been impressive for years . Mayo have pushed the dubs to there limits, even with all there resources the dubs have only ever got over Mayo by a point or so on the big day .

I think this winter we can bring a lot to the table strength , speed and plenty of natural football ability ."
Agreed. You see it especially in Langan and Jason McGee. They were previously tall rangy players but both have added serious power. It would be a fantastic lift if the lads could go far in this year's Championship with all that has gone on in 2020.

I'm just getting a bit apprehensive about the noises coming from the public health experts though. The trends have become worrying again in the last 10 days or so. I sincerely hope we don't end up back in a situation where there are no games allowed. Even if they cannot be attended, watching them on TV would be better than nothing. Underpinning all that of course is the safety of all involved. Absolutely no one should feel obligated to play matches if they feel unsafe doing so.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 22/07/2020 11:19:51    2284839

Link

It's been reported that will be a decision made tomorrow on allowing spectators back into matches. With 500 being the max for club games and a few thousand allowed for county matches. If this is true what are people's opinions on it.. I would welcome it as long as it's well patrolled. Be great to get out again that's if a person would be able to get a ticket for those games. One problem that will definitely arise esp in kilcar and Glenties is who to gave tickets too. Rather them than me.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 850 - 14/09/2020 14:54:33    2292054

Link

It will be interesting to see if Declan calls up anyone new based on what he's seen in the Championship.
Jason McGee looks to be edging his way back to fitness. Hopefully he'll come through the Intermediate final unscathed. Michael Langan was another player who picked up an injury during the championship although he did play at full forward in their last game so hopefully another man on the mend.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 14/09/2020 15:59:41    2292072

Link

Well there we have it. Sunday November 1st 1.30PM in Ballybofey!

I still have a lingering feeling that the whole thing could be pulled with the way cases are going. I see there has been a mini outbreak of Covid cases in Gweedore alone. Not good.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 17/09/2020 14:08:28    2292695

Link

A positive case in the Donegal squad, not good news. I am guessing quite a lot of teams will have positive cases over the next few months.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1730 - 19/09/2020 14:43:04    2293033

Link

Covid could be all that's in the hills this Christmas unless we get it under control.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 1076 - 19/09/2020 22:00:54    2293091

Link

Listening to Colm Cavanagh, a lot of talk about winning another All-Ireland in Tyrone.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 484 - 25/09/2020 22:19:31    2294126

Link

All quiet on the inter-county front. Just over 2 weeks until Donegal play Tyrone in the league. Will it be a struggle to get this game played (and the championship match) considering how bad covid is in both counties?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1730 - 01/10/2020 14:08:44    2295062

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Listening to Colm Cavanagh, a lot of talk about winning another All-Ireland in Tyrone."
When is there not though? They haven't won a big match against non-Ulster opposition in over a decade.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 305 - 01/10/2020 16:07:34    2295089

Link

It's going to be a strange finish to a league and then a championship. For a start preparation for teams will not be what it should be. For Donegal the earliest they'll get the full squad together will be probably the Friday after the county final. Which is a week out from the Tyrone league game and three from the championship meeting.. but the gaa seem to be wanting the league to finish and championship to be completed. With the cases so high in Tyrone and Donegal who's to say what kind of teams both counties will be able to field. What the gaa are saying is that there will be no cancellations unless there's a two week break between games because there's a tight schedule. I can see a situation arising where teams could be playing without about four or five or even more players because of the virus. It's a tough one.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 850 - 01/10/2020 16:07:56    2295090

Link

Can't see the county season going ahead. Nearly a thousand cases in the North alone today and news that a few of the Armagh players have tested positive. Teams will start withdrawing and the question then needs to be asked at that stage does the whole thing become untenable.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 02/10/2020 15:42:42    2295317

Link

Hard to see the county final being played let alone inter County games.
It may well be time to accept the fact that 2020 should be written off especially in view of the scenes after games recently.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4985 - 05/10/2020 10:30:32    2295735

Link

I'd assume if we go to level 5, that would be the end of the inter-county season. That would be a real shame as some county games on TV would give us something to look forward to. However we can't expect players and coaching staff to take risks so that we get some entertainment.

I am shocked how quick the virus has spread again, was only weeks ago we were complaining about crowds of 500 not being allowed to games.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1730 - 05/10/2020 11:58:23    2295764

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I'd assume if we go to level 5, that would be the end of the inter-county season. That would be a real shame as some county games on TV would give us something to look forward to. However we can't expect players and coaching staff to take risks so that we get some entertainment.

I am shocked how quick the virus has spread again, was only weeks ago we were complaining about crowds of 500 not being allowed to games."
Not having a go at you, but why could any of us be shocked? We're bombarded day in day out with warnings about R numbers and how quickly the virus can accelerate if the preventative measures aren't adhered to.

Further restrictions were in the post. Yet look at the crowd at the Derry final yesterday. A Cork club pretty much having a victory parade. Christ above.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 05/10/2020 14:42:08    2295823

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Not having a go at you, but why could any of us be shocked? We're bombarded day in day out with warnings about R numbers and how quickly the virus can accelerate if the preventative measures aren't adhered to.

Further restrictions were in the post. Yet look at the crowd at the Derry final yesterday. A Cork club pretty much having a victory parade. Christ above."
True, we had been given enough warnings. I had expected cases to rise and thought we might face further restrictions in winter but just wasn't expecting it this early. I was thinking Nov/Dec time, which is stupid as this virus doesn't wait to we finish our games.

I see the government are not going to move the country to level 5. Not sure level 3 is really going to help, it might help a little but isn't going to drastically reduce the numbers.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1730 - 05/10/2020 19:40:22    2295906

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "True, we had been given enough warnings. I had expected cases to rise and thought we might face further restrictions in winter but just wasn't expecting it this early. I was thinking Nov/Dec time, which is stupid as this virus doesn't wait to we finish our games.

I see the government are not going to move the country to level 5. Not sure level 3 is really going to help, it might help a little but isn't going to drastically reduce the numbers."
I think our best hope is that the threat of a move to level 5 is enough to give some people the wake up call they needed.
I'd say we'll see more Guards out and about, especially at county border crossings etc.

There better not be any more of these anti-mask/anti-vaccine demonstrations. They really take the biscuit when the majority of us are trying to stick by the rules.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7075 - 06/10/2020 08:59:10    2295987

Link

So folks how do we feel about seeing Jim taking Galway for a session? Padraig Joyce saying it was a one off but open to Jim being involved again. Didn't Jim come in with Donegal again for a session or two in Bonner's first year? I am presuming Jim has been back in Donegal while the world goes through these crazy times so I would not be surprised if he was involved with NC to some degree in the background. To me anytime I have seen NC this year the defensive side has possibly gone up a level while been a bit more expansive on the other side of things (not including the St Eunans game but red card meant a more containing approach). It is something I have wondered about but the NC link pure speculation on my part. I have wondered what he is up to whether back at Celtic also especially with Lennon back. Fair play to Joyce for getting him involved I say even if I am torn to see another inter county side get the benefits of Jim's brilliant mind for the game. Though in saying that I imagine Joyce will be livid the video got out as Galway will certainly have the media glare shun upon them for the remainder of the calendar.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2458 - 12/10/2020 12:09:19    2296967

Link