Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Nothing bad to say on the weekend's game. We were outclassed by a much better team. Players worked hard from the first minute to the last and although not in it with Waterford, they should be proud of their hard work and good attitude. There was no collapse like we have seen in the past, just beaten by a much better team and there is no shame in that. McDonald and Chin have been great this year, really stepped up to lead the team. David Dunne has been a good find although sometimes a wee bit headless. Eanna Martin I thought had a good game. O'Keefe, Breen and Moore have done well at the back. The bones are there and there are plenty of others who I think a better manager can get more from- for example Kehoe, Foley, Ryan, O'Connor, Kenny, etc. There is lots of potential I think.

I don't think Liam Dunne is a good manager. That's my opinion. I think Wexford deserves a better manager and a new guy should be given the chance. Dunne has had five years and one or two big performances in the qualifiers have kept him there. League form has been bad and getting worse and again badly outclassed by Dublin and Waterford this year while we did well to beat Offaly at home and beat a Cork team that I don't know if I've seen a worse Cork team in my life. A new manager is needed and I think would give a big boost to the young talent we have.

I don't think its good for guys to be trying to sell Flannery or JJ to the rest of us. The Co Board should put a proper shortlist together, talk to about 10 different candidates and select one with a decent track record and a good plan for the next 2 to 3 years. I am sure there are successful club managers in Kilkenny and Waterford, along with some intercounty managers who'd like to step up to our side. Sure, we might not get Anthony Daly or Liam Sheedy, but there are good managers out there. Let's go find one.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2502 - 28/07/2016 08:47:41    1891331

Link

We need a whole new fresh look to next year..They say a change is good as a rest...we need somthing to energise the squad..im not taking anything from Liam Dunne he was a great tough,skillful hurler that was one of the best iv seen to read a game...but I think his time is up and wex hurling need to move on..players may vote him back in i don't know..we beat Offaly and cork that was great but I seen nothing last Sunday to keep him next year..

fathermurphy (Wexford) - Posts: 308 - 28/07/2016 09:44:26    1891354

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "Nothing bad to say on the weekend's game. We were outclassed by a much better team. Players worked hard from the first minute to the last and although not in it with Waterford, they should be proud of their hard work and good attitude. There was no collapse like we have seen in the past, just beaten by a much better team and there is no shame in that. McDonald and Chin have been great this year, really stepped up to lead the team. David Dunne has been a good find although sometimes a wee bit headless. Eanna Martin I thought had a good game. O'Keefe, Breen and Moore have done well at the back. The bones are there and there are plenty of others who I think a better manager can get more from- for example Kehoe, Foley, Ryan, O'Connor, Kenny, etc. There is lots of potential I think.

I don't think Liam Dunne is a good manager. That's my opinion. I think Wexford deserves a better manager and a new guy should be given the chance. Dunne has had five years and one or two big performances in the qualifiers have kept him there. League form has been bad and getting worse and again badly outclassed by Dublin and Waterford this year while we did well to beat Offaly at home and beat a Cork team that I don't know if I've seen a worse Cork team in my life. A new manager is needed and I think would give a big boost to the young talent we have.

I don't think its good for guys to be trying to sell Flannery or JJ to the rest of us. The Co Board should put a proper shortlist together, talk to about 10 different candidates and select one with a decent track record and a good plan for the next 2 to 3 years. I am sure there are successful club managers in Kilkenny and Waterford, along with some intercounty managers who'd like to step up to our side. Sure, we might not get Anthony Daly or Liam Sheedy, but there are good managers out there. Let's go find one."
Very good article, but a wee bit subjective. Not once did you mention the number of quality players missing through injury at variots times throughout the year. Nor did you acknowedge that some of the replacement players have not yet reached anywhere near the standard required at this level and that's due to their youth and inexperience; something no manager has control over. Say what you like about the teams we beat, but considering everything, we did very well to be still hurling at the end of July, having played four Championship matches.

Who do you consider are the good managers out there that we should be chasing?

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 28/07/2016 10:00:54    1891366

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "We're playing limerick and Galway in the league next year not cork,between this and lee Chin apparently not been a student you be seem to be struggling with the facts"
Sorry your right about cork,well wait and see what limerick and galway are goin to do to us!! Lee chin left college after they got knocked out of the hurlin,he aint no student!! I listen to the commentary on the sunday game and they are being so nice about players and blowing them up for a whole game if they do one good thing!! For me mattew ohanlon has been getting destroyed more often than not or wexford,and its been covered up by the odd catch here and there,james breen is a terrible hurler and i dont think he will get a look at it next year if theres a new manager!! Paudie foyle is not any where near good enough for center back!!enna martin is hanging around that county team a long time annd was never good enough!! It doesnt say a whole lot for all the lads on the bench when u see simon donohue coming on having been with the footballers all year and done no hurlin,hes not near good enough either!! Eoin moore is a good hurler,our midfield is a joke eoin conroy not good enough,jack oconnor the same a one sided hurler!! Liam og has offered notting for a long time,chinner is our best man,harry kehoe seem to get a game all the time after repeated dismal performances!! David dunne has speed and thats it,a couple of solo runs and hes a great fella!! Mac is our other hurler who stands up and paul morris ----!! People need to come out of the clouds and realise how desparate a state we r in!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 28/07/2016 10:12:17    1891368

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Sorry your right about cork,well wait and see what limerick and galway are goin to do to us!! Lee chin left college after they got knocked out of the hurlin,he aint no student!! I listen to the commentary on the sunday game and they are being so nice about players and blowing them up for a whole game if they do one good thing!! For me mattew ohanlon has been getting destroyed more often than not or wexford,and its been covered up by the odd catch here and there,james breen is a terrible hurler and i dont think he will get a look at it next year if theres a new manager!! Paudie foyle is not any where near good enough for center back!!enna martin is hanging around that county team a long time annd was never good enough!! It doesnt say a whole lot for all the lads on the bench when u see simon donohue coming on having been with the footballers all year and done no hurlin,hes not near good enough either!! Eoin moore is a good hurler,our midfield is a joke eoin conroy not good enough,jack oconnor the same a one sided hurler!! Liam og has offered notting for a long time,chinner is our best man,harry kehoe seem to get a game all the time after repeated dismal performances!! David dunne has speed and thats it,a couple of solo runs and hes a great fella!! Mac is our other hurler who stands up and paul morris ----!! People need to come out of the clouds and realise how desparate a state we r in!!"
From what I've read from you in the last while it's seems you think every hurler in the county is useless except Chin (very good year I'd agree) and Richie kehoe.you seem to be very fond of the harriers...

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 28/07/2016 10:34:59    1891380

Link

We need a whole new fresh look to next year..They say a change is good as a rest...we need somthing to energise the squad..im not taking anything from Liam Dunne he was a great tough,skillful hurler that was one of the best iv seen to read a game...but I think his time is up and wex hurling need to move on..players may vote him back in i don't know..we beat Offaly and cork that was great but I seen nothing last Sunday to keep him next year..

fathermurphy (Wexford) - Posts: 308 - 28/07/2016 11:02:41    1891390

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Sorry your right about cork,well wait and see what limerick and galway are goin to do to us!! Lee chin left college after they got knocked out of the hurlin,he aint no student!! I listen to the commentary on the sunday game and they are being so nice about players and blowing them up for a whole game if they do one good thing!! For me mattew ohanlon has been getting destroyed more often than not or wexford,and its been covered up by the odd catch here and there,james breen is a terrible hurler and i dont think he will get a look at it next year if theres a new manager!! Paudie foyle is not any where near good enough for center back!!enna martin is hanging around that county team a long time annd was never good enough!! It doesnt say a whole lot for all the lads on the bench when u see simon donohue coming on having been with the footballers all year and done no hurlin,hes not near good enough either!! Eoin moore is a good hurler,our midfield is a joke eoin conroy not good enough,jack oconnor the same a one sided hurler!! Liam og has offered notting for a long time,chinner is our best man,harry kehoe seem to get a game all the time after repeated dismal performances!! David dunne has speed and thats it,a couple of solo runs and hes a great fella!! Mac is our other hurler who stands up and paul morris ----!! People need to come out of the clouds and realise how desparate a state we r in!!"
yet this useless team got to the last the last six of the allireland . you were getting on about conroy but never really played in midfield he dropped backed into the half back line .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 28/07/2016 11:24:24    1891403

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "From what I've read from you in the last while it's seems you think every hurler in the county is useless except Chin (very good year I'd agree) and Richie kehoe.you seem to be very fond of the harriers..."
Im from the north of the county unfortunately i do think lee chin is our best player and iv also said mcdonald is good and i like eoin moore as a hurler!! Im just giving my opinion on the players as i see it!! I thought last year when the county team trained a good bit in gorey and up in ballygarret that richie kehoe should have been on the team last year from what i seen in training thats all!! Hes gone now we need to look forward,i liked his style tho!! Just makin the point that we are in a bad way here and lads get carried away with players bein great when they just dont perform well on a regular basis!!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 28/07/2016 11:36:46    1891417

Link

To be fair to the boys the has that one right about conroy. I dont care where he played, he didnt strike ten balls in championship this year!! And jack o connor is one sided too by the way, although his right has improved since last year so he must be working on it.

Look the boys, i agree with some of what your saying but the overwhelming negativity of your posts is ott. Sure some people are over rating our players ability but i think you are guilty of under rating it by the same margin. Reality is somewhere in between!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 28/07/2016 12:22:43    1891453

Link

fathermurphy, you should really start naming names rather than just blindly saying "we need a new team next year".if you think there are better players out there,i cant wait to hear your list.
the only posters on here whose posts i don't read or value opinion are theboys and gminor,neither of you contribute anything positive to this board except pointless ramblings.theboys,james breen was another of the finds of the year and against limerick in the league,when there was not 1 hurler stood up to be counted,he did.he was good v cork in the closing stages and is still only a young lad.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 28/07/2016 12:23:50    1891454

Link

Perfect10 I knew you loved my posts ;)

Agree on James Breen. Was really good.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2502 - 28/07/2016 13:29:31    1891492

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "fathermurphy, you should really start naming names rather than just blindly saying "we need a new team next year".if you think there are better players out there,i cant wait to hear your list.
the only posters on here whose posts i don't read or value opinion are theboys and gminor,neither of you contribute anything positive to this board except pointless ramblings.theboys,james breen was another of the finds of the year and against limerick in the league,when there was not 1 hurler stood up to be counted,he did.he was good v cork in the closing stages and is still only a young lad."
You might explain how you know what we have to say if you dont read our post? As inconsistent as all of your meanderings. Against Limerick Andrew Shore was moved to centre forward for the second half and had a stormer, scoring two points and made several more. Is that positive enough for you?

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 28/07/2016 14:22:15    1891525

Link

dont always agree with you icehonesty,but at least i think you are watching the same matches i am,or if you say you were at a match you were there................

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 28/07/2016 14:23:38    1891527

Link

ICEHONESTLY and PERFECT10 iv just decided to stop posting after that post!! James breen will u stop, You think he hurled well against cork,only for hawk eye he was the first to be taken off,he was gettin the run around!! He got two balls and looked like he never held a ball in his life!! No wonder we are in the state we are!! Does conroy not hurl midfield for his club?? Doesnt matter where u hurl him anyway!! Cheers i enjoyed the debate!!i hope wexford turns a corner!!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 28/07/2016 15:06:12    1891556

Link

Replying To theboys:  "ICEHONESTLY and PERFECT10 iv just decided to stop posting after that post!! James breen will u stop, You think he hurled well against cork,only for hawk eye he was the first to be taken off,he was gettin the run around!! He got two balls and looked like he never held a ball in his life!! No wonder we are in the state we are!! Does conroy not hurl midfield for his club?? Doesnt matter where u hurl him anyway!! Cheers i enjoyed the debate!!i hope wexford turns a corner!!!"
Breen had meningitis playing the cork match,didn't do too bad given those circumstances....

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 28/07/2016 15:40:40    1891580

Link

Lads seriously would an Anthony Daly, Liam Sheedy, Frank Flannery, JJ Doyle got that wexford team ( as in the players who where available, with 7/8 first choice player's not avail) into the last six? Very disappointed to read posts on here about players who just got to an all Ireland quarter final. Championship debutantes this year Conor O Leary, James Been, David Dunne, Jack O Connor, Eoin Conroy and Joe O Connor. Six more guys that have made the team and will be challenging for positions next year. Well done to the players and management it was a tough year but they battled hard.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 28/07/2016 21:56:26    1891759

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Lads seriously would an Anthony Daly, Liam Sheedy, Frank Flannery, JJ Doyle got that wexford team ( as in the players who where available, with 7/8 first choice player's not avail) into the last six? Very disappointed to read posts on here about players who just got to an all Ireland quarter final. Championship debutantes this year Conor O Leary, James Been, David Dunne, Jack O Connor, Eoin Conroy and Joe O Connor. Six more guys that have made the team and will be challenging for positions next year. Well done to the players and management it was a tough year but they battled hard."
cant say for sure but i am sure keen to find out after 5 years.....

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 29/07/2016 09:00:27    1891834

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Lads seriously would an Anthony Daly, Liam Sheedy, Frank Flannery, JJ Doyle got that wexford team ( as in the players who where available, with 7/8 first choice player's not avail) into the last six? Very disappointed to read posts on here about players who just got to an all Ireland quarter final. Championship debutantes this year Conor O Leary, James Been, David Dunne, Jack O Connor, Eoin Conroy and Joe O Connor. Six more guys that have made the team and will be challenging for positions next year. Well done to the players and management it was a tough year but they battled hard."
We got into the last 6 by virtue of the fact that we beat Offaly at home and p1ss poor Cork team who have won 1 game all year.

Lets put it into perspective, people keep goin on about the injuries this season but this isnt just about one season, we didnt have injuries when Kilkenny put a record score on us in 2015 or Cork had us beaten by half time in the Park or when with 2 home games to secure promotion we folded completely.

The fact is in 5 years we havent gained promotion from 1b and were a last gasp win in laois away from playing in a relegation decider this year.

It isnt just about this season for me its a multitude of things another example this week of playing everything out in the media, why? It was the same with the Guiney situation with the whole thing being played out in the media. Theres no need.

The fact is since 2014 we have only beaten Offaly, Westmeath, Laois and Kerry along with a Cork team in dissaray, thats the cold facts. look at the direction Waterford and Wexford have gone since 2014 and i for one believe we have the players to match Waterford

Either way the management and team have done their best but in my opinion there is much much more in this team, whatevre the decision is though it needs to be made pretty soon and move on in my opinion.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 29/07/2016 12:20:14    1891936

Link

I just cannot believe some of stuff being wrote on here! The amount of obvious personnal agendas is literally unbelievable. We have lads here who is obviously a friend/ relative/ club man of liam Dunne tearing into anybody who speaks anything other than positivity and other lads obsessed with negativity, believes we have only 2 decent hurlers, and believes ritchie kehoe is an all star hurler. This rubbish is ruining a forum with some decent , intelligent hurling ppl so cut the political bias and personal agendas please and thanks. As Joe Canning said ' Hurling is a hobby no more no less and the day that hurling becomes full time as stated is the day that we have nobody willing to make those daily sacrifices in order to repesent us, their people and their county. I for one hold massive respect for any young chap willing to hurl for their county , put their bodies through physical hardship all nd literally wave good bye to their social life purely to entertain some key board warriors driven by agendas and negativity.

Back to point in hand. My own opinion is that I feel only the players can decide whether they want Dunne to stay or go. Personnaly i feel liam has a few bridges to re build if he wishes to conitune and I fully appreciate the fact that despite only minimal evidence of substantial progress, we are in a far healthier position than when he arived. The remit for any manager is to leave the squad in a better on deperature than arrival and liam has done that. The very fact our expectations have increased is testiment to the fact that we feel we have a fine bunch of young hurlers to pick from with a good few more on the way. Ive been very critical of many aspects of Dunnes style but in fairness to the man we've made two all ireland 1/4 finals in 3 years and to do it this year with the swords at the ready and missing 6-8 of our best hurlers was a good achievement.

However i get the impressesion that change is immenent and perhaps a fresh voice with a fully fit hand to deal with & the introduction of players like Rory O Connor, Brian Quigley ( Rathnure) can lead to more consistently competitive performances and wexford becoming a serious force. Promotion is desirable and a target but to make a leinster final & All ireland semi is a reasonable target. To achieve this we must create a style of play, puck out strategys and come up with some way of improving our attacking out put so that were hitting 1-20 every day. Our scoring return and general attacking play was so predicatable this year it was so easy for waterford in particula to double mark chin on puck outs, we simply couldnt get any quality ball to the other forwards because we simple couldnt win enough possession.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 29/07/2016 18:45:15    1892079

Link

Cragask, I agree with a lot of what you have just said. I was critical of some of the players and of the management, but not of their commitment. It takes incredible dedication to play on a county panel these days. My criticisms were of hurling performance and managerial incompetence.

I disagree with one thing you said. It should not be up to the players to decide on dunnes future. This can create splits (what if 18 players want him and 17 dont) and your always going to have a situation where those who have been picked by management will be more likely to support them, while lads on fringes of the panel are less likely. The other problem with letting players decide is that with the nature of a county team the panel could be very different next year to what it was this year, that would lead to a situation where many players might be deciding on whether they want Dunne or not, yet mightnt be involved next year at all. The county board are the executive and it is the executive's job to decide who they want as manager.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1243 - 29/07/2016 19:32:30    1892093

Link