Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Im not saying give up there jobs at all but not to use it as an excuse!! I said the majority of lads are just happy to play for wexford,not actually give it the time they need to give it to be competitive!! Driving from dublin r where ever to training 3 nights a week doesnt entitle u to anything sure club players do that!! What about outside of training every other day,u have to have it as ur number one all the time,and really want to win!!thats what im trying to say,id be questioning there mentality towards actually really deep down wanting to win and actually giving it everything they have to Win because if they did we would actually be a lot better than this!! Lee chin is not a student either by the way.

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 25/07/2016 13:35:37    1889692

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "That is utter madness so you think players should but there professional careers on the back burner and concentrate totally on hurling,you think all of the lads in our panel based in Dublin drive down 2 or 3 times a week to ferns or wexford park or wherever just a get a free tracksuit and say they hurl for wexford,the demands on players these days are insane in my view no wonder intercounty careers are getting shorter and shorter

You gave lee chin as an example,he's a student so it's easier for the likes of him aswel"
Dont think its that much easier for a student! The county senior students are mostly on scholarships and have to train and play for their college maybe 3 times a week along with county training!
They also have exams to do and study while doing all this travel for training! Its not easy at that level for anybody!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 25/07/2016 14:06:25    1889719

Link

It's not Man United they're playing with. Many of them are young lads struggling to get on in life, living frugal lives while the parents deal with the fees and the fall out of over critical supporters. I understand 100% why many of them call it a day and as previous poster said for little or no gain to them personally

Stratos (Wexford) - Posts: 37 - 25/07/2016 14:09:44    1889725

Link

who are these players theboys?i know quite a few of them through a flatmate who is part of a wexford team and i can tell you a nicer,more modest group of lads you would not meet.i think you are just trying to create an argument.
most of these lads are either juggling work,studies,and trying to keep numerous coaches happy while also putting their social life on hold.i dont think any of them are doing it for anything other than to be the best they can be and to win things.they are a young team.
give them a break.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 25/07/2016 14:38:58    1889757

Link

Replying To wexwanderer:  "Two main things that baffled me today... Constant long puck outs to congested half forward line with only 1 ball winner and with at least 2 spare waterford players to get breaking ball... More variety needed quick short puck out on every time then go long and bypass the cluster if need be...

Secondly why when playing a team that has been working on a defensive sweeper system for a long time would we try to match that defensive system especially when the waterford players for first time in a long might be questioning their system...

Tipperary showed the bravery that I have been saying for a long time especially against a team like waterford who have no treat inside and just relie on frees and long range points for majority of their scores.... Be brave if they want to play with 7 backs we play with 7 forwards... Trust our backs 5 v 5... Pin them back try turn it into a high scoring game... Low scoring game always suits waterford....

It might not always work but that is basically how tipp played the last day... Was worth a try if waterford were exploiting space change it up
By playing defenceivly Wexford played to the strength of waterford system... Their backs won easy ball and we're able to get up the field into scoring range without much hassle.. All Wexford players behind the ball largely redundant watching waterford drive wides and points over their heads.

But more importantly with waterford players for the first time in long time at least sub consciously questioning their system it was vital to start well get a lead take them out of their comfort zone see how they react them put the game in the melting pot... Instead we still play with a sweeper throughout second half and bow out meakly..."
Are you sure you you're not one of the contributers on here complaining about Wexford's short puck outs the last time we played Waterford in the league, earlier this year? If you're not, don't worry it's just that some people are fans of the short puck out and some are not. It's hard to satisfy everybody.

Would the loss yesterday not have anything to do with the fact that, (1) Andrew Shore, David Redmond, Shane Tomkins, Shaun Murphy and Podge Doran are out with long term injuries, (2) James Breen was missing through illness, (3) Lee Chin was injured early on in yesterdays game (6) Aidan Nolan was not fit enough to start and (5) Eoin Moore was stretchered off after being lying on the pitch for over 5 minutes at a time in the game when he was having a stormer and we were just getting a foot hold? There's no team in the country, not even KK could withstand the loss of that number of starting players and perform any better than we did in an all ireland quarter final. Roll on next year when all our players will hopefully be fully fit.

In the meantime thanks to everyone concerned for doing your very best every day you pulled on the purple and gold jersey. It may not have worked out as you hoped, but hold your heads high and be proud of your achievments. Ye're young men and there's always next year. Thanks again to management and players.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 25/07/2016 16:05:24    1889831

Link

Replying To gminor:  "Are you sure you you're not one of the contributers on here complaining about Wexford's short puck outs the last time we played Waterford in the league, earlier this year? If you're not, don't worry it's just that some people are fans of the short puck out and some are not. It's hard to satisfy everybody.

Would the loss yesterday not have anything to do with the fact that, (1) Andrew Shore, David Redmond, Shane Tomkins, Shaun Murphy and Podge Doran are out with long term injuries, (2) James Breen was missing through illness, (3) Lee Chin was injured early on in yesterdays game (6) Aidan Nolan was not fit enough to start and (5) Eoin Moore was stretchered off after being lying on the pitch for over 5 minutes at a time in the game when he was having a stormer and we were just getting a foot hold? There's no team in the country, not even KK could withstand the loss of that number of starting players and perform any better than we did in an all ireland quarter final. Roll on next year when all our players will hopefully be fully fit.

In the meantime thanks to everyone concerned for doing your very best every day you pulled on the purple and gold jersey. It may not have worked out as you hoped, but hold your heads high and be proud of your achievments. Ye're young men and there's always next year. Thanks again to management and players."
No it was not me complaining about the short puck outs v waterford in the league....

And yes it's hard to please everyone my point is if it's not working you need to change... Against Dublin in croke Park we persisted with short puck outs which were not working as Dublin aggressively pushed up on us... Yesterday fanning always had 2 maybe sometimes 3 free receivers for short puck outs each time as waterford sat deep... Surely it does not take 11 consecutive puck outs to be lost for the penny to drop...

Yes their are mitigating factors but we have been very slow on the line for 2 long to implement change only reacting when it's to late...

I am not against Wexford playing the sweeper system but surely yesterday given our absentees and waterford coming off a hammering the opportunity was there to be attacking play at least a traditional 6 forward game or be very brave like tipp and push the extra forward up on the sweeper. And if we lose we go out in a shootout not meekly slowly towards the inevitable as waterford start landing points instead of wides.

That 10 minute spell in the second half before moores injury you alluded to shows that waterford were there for the taking but we set up in the ideal way for them and gave them an armchair ride to the semis.

We can't seem to get any consistency in performance breen and doran replaced by Ryan and Kehoe from the Cork game hardly wholesale changes and 2 contacting performances in terms of energy and attacking intent.... Cork would of tested waterford a lot more than we did.

Not faulting the effort and time commitment of our players and management but for me we went out of the championship without putting up enough of a fight even giving our injury list.

wexwanderer (Wexford) - Posts: 22 - 25/07/2016 16:38:00    1889864

Link

Tough being a wexford hurling supporter, how many years have we now gone out of the championship on the back of a bad beating? All you can say is that they are a young team and will hopefully learn from it. Probably signals the end for Dunne, if it does his place in the history of Wexford hurling will always be at the higher end of the scale, one of our greats!

dumptruck1 (Wexford) - Posts: 200 - 25/07/2016 17:20:20    1889896

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Im not saying give up there jobs at all but not to use it as an excuse!! I said the majority of lads are just happy to play for wexford,not actually give it the time they need to give it to be competitive!! Driving from dublin r where ever to training 3 nights a week doesnt entitle u to anything sure club players do that!! What about outside of training every other day,u have to have it as ur number one all the time,and really want to win!!thats what im trying to say,id be questioning there mentality towards actually really deep down wanting to win and actually giving it everything they have to Win because if they did we would actually be a lot better than this!! Lee chin is not a student either by the way."
Chin played for DIT in the Fitzgibbon earlier this year,do you know something we don't

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 25/07/2016 17:51:14    1889919

Link

Replying To wexwanderer:  "No it was not me complaining about the short puck outs v waterford in the league....

And yes it's hard to please everyone my point is if it's not working you need to change... Against Dublin in croke Park we persisted with short puck outs which were not working as Dublin aggressively pushed up on us... Yesterday fanning always had 2 maybe sometimes 3 free receivers for short puck outs each time as waterford sat deep... Surely it does not take 11 consecutive puck outs to be lost for the penny to drop...

Yes their are mitigating factors but we have been very slow on the line for 2 long to implement change only reacting when it's to late...

I am not against Wexford playing the sweeper system but surely yesterday given our absentees and waterford coming off a hammering the opportunity was there to be attacking play at least a traditional 6 forward game or be very brave like tipp and push the extra forward up on the sweeper. And if we lose we go out in a shootout not meekly slowly towards the inevitable as waterford start landing points instead of wides.

That 10 minute spell in the second half before moores injury you alluded to shows that waterford were there for the taking but we set up in the ideal way for them and gave them an armchair ride to the semis.

We can't seem to get any consistency in performance breen and doran replaced by Ryan and Kehoe from the Cork game hardly wholesale changes and 2 contacting performances in terms of energy and attacking intent.... Cork would of tested waterford a lot more than we did.

Not faulting the effort and time commitment of our players and management but for me we went out of the championship without putting up enough of a fight even giving our injury list."
I agree with most of what you're saying but apart from loosing Eoin Moore when we did, I think the stoppage broke our momentum and gave waterford a chance to regroup. We had score 5 points without reply during the previous 10 minutes, in which Moore was very instrumental and after stoppage hold up waterford scored 5 points without reply. We've just been very unlucky this year but I still think there's a great future with this group.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 25/07/2016 18:07:08    1889928

Link

Hard to judge yesterday given our injury situation,any team in the country would have struggled in those circumstances frankly getting to the last 6 with a depleted squad was a decent effort no matter what people say about cork and there crisis. on the puckouts I don't think we were wrong to go long initially but if we went long we should have pushed players further up the field,also it seemed to me that Chin couldn't compete properly in the air after his injury and once it was obvious we were getting cleaned out on our puckouts we needed to change something.it didn't make a difference due to the gulf in class between the teams but if yesterday was a tight game i would have been very unhappy with the referee,to be honest I was a bit annoyed a couple of situations with Waterford players I do think they try to win soft frees

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 25/07/2016 18:36:50    1889943

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Im not saying give up there jobs at all but not to use it as an excuse!! I said the majority of lads are just happy to play for wexford,not actually give it the time they need to give it to be competitive!! Driving from dublin r where ever to training 3 nights a week doesnt entitle u to anything sure club players do that!! What about outside of training every other day,u have to have it as ur number one all the time,and really want to win!!thats what im trying to say,id be questioning there mentality towards actually really deep down wanting to win and actually giving it everything they have to Win because if they did we would actually be a lot better than this!! Lee chin is not a student either by the way."
Hurled for dit this year!!

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 25/07/2016 18:39:49    1889946

Link

I think looking back on this year and all our absentees I think we need to ask a few questions,why were so many players not involved this year on their own accord,if 1 pulls out due to his situation far enough but there was 4 or 5 with us was there stuff going on in the background,also on the injuries was there any factors at play apart from bad luck,where they training too much or was there any issue with their training methods,our injury list never seemed to let up from January onwards if someone recovered from injury someone else got injured.on that hopefully Moore's injury isn't as bad as it looked,but I seen mentioned their fearing an ACL injury

Looking to next year whoever the manager is Dunne,jj,frank flannery I think they need to develop a style of play tailored to suit our players rather than forcing a system on them which doesn't suit them,I think Davy Fitzgerald is guilty of that with Clare,hopefully this year was a 1 off with injuries and I think the nucleus is there to build a team which can be consistently competitive

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 25/07/2016 19:09:43    1889960

Link

Replying To theboys:  "Look we simply are not good enough bottom line,the way i see it is if you want to hurl at the top hurlin has to be ur number one priority in life,now thats a decision the individual has to make,i think the majority of lads on that team or panel are happy to be just playing for wexford!! Take lee chin he does notting else but train and hurl thats why hes one of our better hurlers,he gives it all of his time!! All this thing about working and gettin time to do things is a cop out!! If u want to be competetive well u have to give it everything,the lads r good enough but i dont think its priorty to them to be honest!! I think the mentality with the majority is that im great i hurl for wexford,sure if we win or lose i hurl for wexford!! Thats my opinion on it!! U will get ur arse handed back to you every day like we have been for the last number of years when u think like that!!its not worth doin if u dont do it right,i think the players need to take a long look at themselves to be honest!!"
Is this fella actually serious?? How dare he question the dedication those players show!! My bf travels over 150kms a night to train 2-3 nights a week, this doesn't include sessions with a sports psychologist in Dublin and then other county or club commitments!! Some People on here call themselves "supporters" but I have a feeling they may need to research the true meaning of the word!! Its easy for people on here (small few) to ridicule the players and management when they no absolutely nothing!! I

Roseyposey (Wexford) - Posts: 1 - 25/07/2016 20:59:53    1890009

Link

Jack O'Connor only 1 side? Well he scored a massive point off his left in the Cork match and cleared plenty of good ball off his right. Matt O'Hanlon was brilliant in both the Cork game and on Sunday.
I think our poster needs to look a bit closer next year.
I heard on the grape vine that Frank Flannery has already been approached about the job. Anyone hear this?

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 26/07/2016 08:35:06    1890123

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "Jack O'Connor only 1 side? Well he scored a massive point off his left in the Cork match and cleared plenty of good ball off his right. Matt O'Hanlon was brilliant in both the Cork game and on Sunday.
I think our poster needs to look a bit closer next year.
I heard on the grape vine that Frank Flannery has already been approached about the job. Anyone hear this?"
I heard similar but no firm commitment as to what was definitely happening in that regard.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 26/07/2016 10:17:28    1890174

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "I heard similar but no firm commitment as to what was definitely happening in that regard."
also heard this and supposed to be very keen . but the cork job could come available also , time will tell

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 26/07/2016 10:32:26    1890190

Link

Plain and simple the county board need to sit down with Liam Dunne and either offer him another year or else hand him his notice. Talking to other managers before the man is gone is down right disrespectful. No point in waiting until September to do this. Now is the time to act, if Liam Dunne is the man to continue to lead Wexford hurling so be it get it sorted as soon as possible, If its not Liam Dunne thank him and hand him his notice and get appointing a new manager as soon as possible.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1444 - 26/07/2016 10:32:30    1890191

Link

Yes pinkie he has only one side... his striking is shocking poor off his right. Secondly you remwnber him scoring a massive point. Do you remember the 7/8 wasted balls aswell when lads were free but he just drove it as far as he could and the balls went miles wide or trickled into the goalkeeper? It's easy remember the good stuff only

O hanlons positioning has been awful. All over the place against dublin and offaly in particular. Hasn't shored up the full back area at all. Pundits continually look at the few good things someone does in a match without taking all the bad into consideration.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1243 - 26/07/2016 10:47:58    1890204

Link

have to agree with gminor, the panel was completely disseminated with injuries, and that's no disrespect to the lads that were there, committed and gave it their all. (1) Andrew Shore, David Redmond, Shane Tomkins, Shaun Murphy and Podge Doran are out with long term injuries, (2) James Breen was missing through illness, (3) Lee Chin was injured early on in yesterdays game, and this totally disrupted his play (4) Liam Ryan was possibly under pressure to start even though he gave it his all (5) Eoin Moore injured too, and this broke the momentum of our purple patch.

There's no team in the country that could keep performing with so many players missing. Most of the long term injuries were picked up in club championships, so no point blaming trainers etc. And some were just unfortunate injuries/illnesses that are pure bad luck. We literally ran out of legs and depth to bring on from the bench, just unfortunate.

Just to note Lee Chin is a student in DIT whoever was saying he plays hurling full time and has nothing else to do...

Frank Flannery is a selector with Cork.... have a think about that one lads, definitely not sure if he's up for the job. In my opinion Dunne has done a solid job with the panel he has. There was a clear out of back room team already and all new management brought in. There is a serious rebuild happening with management and players and some new talent unearthed, I think this set up deserves at least one more year to see where it can be taken, imagine what depth of team we will have when the injured players are back? Don't know if Dunne wants to stay on, he owes Wexford hurling absolutely nothing (and has taken some serious personal abuse from Wexford people and Wexford fans) and if he goes, will be leaving the jersey in a higher place then he found it. NO one wanted the Wex job when he took it. can't say the same now, any manager will be able to see the potential there now.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 26/07/2016 10:53:10    1890208

Link

Replying To hurlorhurley:  "Plain and simple the county board need to sit down with Liam Dunne and either offer him another year or else hand him his notice. Talking to other managers before the man is gone is down right disrespectful. No point in waiting until September to do this. Now is the time to act, if Liam Dunne is the man to continue to lead Wexford hurling so be it get it sorted as soon as possible, If its not Liam Dunne thank him and hand him his notice and get appointing a new manager as soon as possible."
they prob meet him next week , liam wants to stay but i have a feeling the county board dont want him there , personaly i have no problem in letting liam have another year , but from i am hearing they are lads on the county board out to get him for awhile now .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 26/07/2016 11:15:00    1890230

Link