Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Pinkie:  "So thinking ahead to the Waterford game, I have a few concerns which I hope we can have fixed up before then.
Our lack of goal threat. We have only scored 2 (including Fanning's) goals in 3 matches. The other being some hapless defending by a useless Offaly defence. We need players playing off the breaks which McDonald and Chin will hopefully create.
Some of our marking from puck outs on Saturday was brutal, affording Nash the ability to pick out his men time and again from the puck out. If we allow Kevin Moran, Brick Walsh and Gleeson that sort of freedom they will be able to pick us off from distance.
Overall, after 2 weeks rest this year, I think we have a great chance here."
No excuses thats what i like to hear

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1444 - 13/07/2016 09:21:12    1882323

Link

time for excuses has well and truly passed for both management and players.the time has come to stand up and deliver our biggest result in just under 10 years.
we want to be back hurling in croke park in august.it will bring this team on a tonne for next year even if we are beaten in the semi final.
but the team and management cannot have any excuses if we are beaten on sunday week.
i 100% agree with tearintom that long range scores will decide this match,tadhg de burca will definitely drop back in front of conor mc to try snuff out his goal thread but chinner gives them something different to thinik about.
any word from our scalder brethren on liam ryan?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 13/07/2016 10:32:47    1882374

Link

First things first lads, these agendas from the Liam Dunne fan club and those less supportive is quite embarrassing and I said before Saturdays heroic result, Dunne's future will be sorted at the end of the year. If we'd lost to Cork he would of been likely to resign but we won and finially showed the first signs of progress in 18 months and I'm delighted for the man. I have been very critical of him for varies reasons to which I feel was deserved but there is no doubting the fact he has done a good job re building our panel and knitting a competitive Wexford team together even if he has done it in a someties dis tasteful fashion. Its unfortunate that we could be even stronger if Dunne himself hadn't bitten off his nose to spite his face by allowing a breakdown in relationships with some of our most talented hurlers in Ian Byrne, Kevin Foley and Jack Guiney. Give Dunne credit though he has showed incredable resilence and focus to bring about such a turnaround in the space of a few months from that depressing night in May againts the Dubs to Saturday nights display againts the rebels. I really admire Dunne's single minded attitude and his ability to take the deserved critisim on the chin and keep moving forward.

Moving onto to Waterford and I must urge caution. Yes Tipp tore them apart Sunday but they haven't become a bad team over night and I'm convinced they'll view the 24th as a wonderful oppertunity for redemption and to take out some frustrations againts a talented but still depleted Wexford. This game is winnable though. I expect Waterford to stick to their ' System' as they wont rip up the foundations after 1 collapse and they'll coe to thurles with a much rehearsed game plan but if I were Dunne I would ensure this game is played on our terms not Waterfords. The likes of Chin, Mc Donald and Doran can cause their defence all sorts of trouble. Personally I'd be loaded our middle third with as many mobile, nippy hurlers as possble as this game will be won or lost on the team that picks up most of the breaks and wins those rucks that Waterford thrive on. Long range scores will be a factor but the ability of O Keeffe, Dunne , Chin and mc Govern to carry the ball to draw out the sweeper will be even more important. They will Swarm Mc Donald and Chin but if they can occupy their defence/sweeper, there should be room for our other forwards to utilise. We have stumbled across a nice system of hurling but I expect a few alterations in terms of match ups to counter Waterfords threats.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 13/07/2016 15:04:31    1882577

Link

Was in at the intermediate match last night,was a good game,kilkenny looked strong on paper l!! Wexford hurled really well for the most part and just got caught in the end!! I think the inexperianced young lads just didnt know how to close it out!! I was heading in to wexford park expecting a good beating to be honest and really just going to see if we could find any talent for the senior grade!! In my opinion we have only a few that i think could make it!! Sean murphy,joe oconnor in time,i still think richie kehoe has alot to offer wexford to be fair to him,i learned last night that he only turned 30,the kilkenny supporters were shoutin to keep the ball away from him last night,they did just that in the second and i thought we got exposed on the wings and the corners in paticular maddock they really targeted him!! All in all a good game and i really can wait for thurles now!! Up wexford!!

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 14/07/2016 11:55:53    1883021

Link

Theboys;

Can you please stop this Ritchie Kehoe obsession? Its getting kind of repetitive at this stage. He's not in the senior panel although many people, like myself, felt he was hard done by. However he was very poor last night, mark bergin gave him the run around scoring 1-1/2 as Ritchie's lack of pace and mobility caught him out. He was very good via Galway but not last night.

Regarding the game itself, how we lost that from being 6 points up with the wind is beyond belief but it was a game we thought was won , switched off, went far too direct and got beat. We hurled really well in the first half using the ball well and brought our forwards into the game then we inexplicable decided to go very direct with the wind behind us, drew our forwards out and left Danny Carroll ( who struggled to win primary possession) in at full forward being swarmed by the kk backs who sat back and cleaned up. Had we persisted with our first half game plan we'd of won the game. We struggled to win enough ball midfield and Billy Dunne unfortunatly hit 3 bad dwides from straight in front of the posts in the second half that we really needed.

Going forward I was impressed with Sean Murphy at full back, very tight and aggressive and at 23 years old he has potentia to be a good senior hurler. Joe o' Connor hurled well & had never seen him hurl wing back before but he cleared alot of ball. Jack Kelly defended well but mis hit a few clearances as did Kevin Sheridan. I think John Doyle has potential too, got 0-3 via Galway and just one excellent score last night. The lad is only 20 so a good year with the 21's should refine him. Gary Moore won some good ball but hit a few bad wides. He is a talented hurler no doubt but injuries seem to have robber him of his turn of speed but with some speed work he has something to offer. The pick of the forwards for me was Jack Petit, 19 year old chap, minor last year and scored 1-2 via galway and again last night. Fairly big lad, is a natural forward. Defo one to watch.

We will get more senior hurlers from last nights team than kilkenny.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 14/07/2016 15:03:26    1883207

Link

Really enjoyed the game in the park last night. I thought all of the players from senior panel shone for the hour. Kevin Sheridan at comer back was exceptional all evening while Jack Pettit showed some nice touches.
Overall a good performance just a pity we didn't get the win. Here's hoping for a great day in Thurkes next week.

Stratos (Wexford) - Posts: 37 - 14/07/2016 15:54:08    1883270

Link

i was wondering what game i was at as i thought richie kehoe had a very poor night.i think that comp like the junior football is useful to get players game time,it was disappointing to lose from a position where we should have won.typical wexford v kilkenny,but overall a few potential prospects showed up.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 14/07/2016 16:05:32    1883281

Link

Replying To cragask:  "Theboys;

Can you please stop this Ritchie Kehoe obsession? Its getting kind of repetitive at this stage. He's not in the senior panel although many people, like myself, felt he was hard done by. However he was very poor last night, mark bergin gave him the run around scoring 1-1/2 as Ritchie's lack of pace and mobility caught him out. He was very good via Galway but not last night.

Regarding the game itself, how we lost that from being 6 points up with the wind is beyond belief but it was a game we thought was won , switched off, went far too direct and got beat. We hurled really well in the first half using the ball well and brought our forwards into the game then we inexplicable decided to go very direct with the wind behind us, drew our forwards out and left Danny Carroll ( who struggled to win primary possession) in at full forward being swarmed by the kk backs who sat back and cleaned up. Had we persisted with our first half game plan we'd of won the game. We struggled to win enough ball midfield and Billy Dunne unfortunatly hit 3 bad dwides from straight in front of the posts in the second half that we really needed.

Going forward I was impressed with Sean Murphy at full back, very tight and aggressive and at 23 years old he has potentia to be a good senior hurler. Joe o' Connor hurled well & had never seen him hurl wing back before but he cleared alot of ball. Jack Kelly defended well but mis hit a few clearances as did Kevin Sheridan. I think John Doyle has potential too, got 0-3 via Galway and just one excellent score last night. The lad is only 20 so a good year with the 21's should refine him. Gary Moore won some good ball but hit a few bad wides. He is a talented hurler no doubt but injuries seem to have robber him of his turn of speed but with some speed work he has something to offer. The pick of the forwards for me was Jack Petit, 19 year old chap, minor last year and scored 1-2 via galway and again last night. Fairly big lad, is a natural forward. Defo one to watch.

We will get more senior hurlers from last nights team than kilkenny."
Im not obsessed with him im just giving my opinion and to his defence i wouldnt say he got the run around anyway the goal wasnt his fault and i would say he done very well last nite the bergin lad started wing forward in the second half i thought he did quiet well on him!! Wouldnt say his mobility caught him out,but i would agree he might not be the quickest but is well able to move!! I think ur right about sean murphy hes strong and sticky,got caught a few times last night to id like to see him play from the front!! Im not sure about joe oconnor he cleared a few balls but his man destroyed him in the second half,its a learning curve for him im sure he will make it in time!! Kevin sheridan wasnt great i thought and maddock was took to the cleaners was the fault for the goals in second half,to slow for corner back!! Ur right bout billy dunne missing 3 handy ones infront of the post,i thought the two midfielders ran out of steem!! Our forwards got plenty of ball first half but were cleaned out in the second half,we couldnt win any ball!! Look there all young and some showed good signs that would tell me we will get a few out of it!! It was a good test for them,some stood up and others struggled big time!!!! Think we have a great chance v waterford and i think we might have an all star in lee chin this year if he performs well against waterford!! I cant wait for it!! What about minors will they win any one know anything bout limerick

theboys (Wexford) - Posts: 176 - 14/07/2016 16:23:11    1883300

Link

Just over a week to go to a huge day in thurles.. Does anybody anticipate changes to the starting 15? Liam Ryan is likely to come in for Eanna Martin who has done well to be fair to him. Would love to see Liam start in the half back line. Apart from perhaps Andrew Kenny or Aidan Nolan coming in it's hard to see any other changes. What is the latest on Podge Dorans injury? He is playing great stuff lately and would be a big loss. Paul Morris improved hugely on previous performances the last day and will have to up it again. David Dunne will be vital picking up lose ball around the half forward line and running at the Waterford defence . I think we can particularly get at their full back line and Conor Mac can get the upper hand on Coughlan . I would try and avoid De Burca as much as possible as he is excellent in the air and tends to sit back as the sweeper but I think direct running from the half forward line could win this game for us Dunne , Liam Og and Chin will force him out to give mac the space he needs to cause havoc inside.We need to forget about next year for now this is a massive opportunity to get into an All Ireland semi final and I think belief is finally growing in the county that we are well able to mix it with the big boys.

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 15/07/2016 11:55:53    1883753

Link

Replying To Afinestick:  "Just over a week to go to a huge day in thurles.. Does anybody anticipate changes to the starting 15? Liam Ryan is likely to come in for Eanna Martin who has done well to be fair to him. Would love to see Liam start in the half back line. Apart from perhaps Andrew Kenny or Aidan Nolan coming in it's hard to see any other changes. What is the latest on Podge Dorans injury? He is playing great stuff lately and would be a big loss. Paul Morris improved hugely on previous performances the last day and will have to up it again. David Dunne will be vital picking up lose ball around the half forward line and running at the Waterford defence . I think we can particularly get at their full back line and Conor Mac can get the upper hand on Coughlan . I would try and avoid De Burca as much as possible as he is excellent in the air and tends to sit back as the sweeper but I think direct running from the half forward line could win this game for us Dunne , Liam Og and Chin will force him out to give mac the space he needs to cause havoc inside.We need to forget about next year for now this is a massive opportunity to get into an All Ireland semi final and I think belief is finally growing in the county that we are well able to mix it with the big boys."
nolan prob be not fully fit to start doe , prob get about 20 mins in the second half from aidan nolan .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 15/07/2016 14:11:48    1883853

Link

I have a feeling Liam Ryan will be back in the team for the Waterford game! They are having a overnight in New Ross this evening with a few training sessions so let's hope everyone comes through those sessions ok

wexfordchic (Wexford) - Posts: 16 - 15/07/2016 19:42:25    1884047

Link

Not sure if they will chance Liam Ryan after such a long lay off, seven weeks out of championship hurling is a long time. Will be a call that will go down to the wire.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 16/07/2016 07:05:55    1884137

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "Not sure if they will chance Liam Ryan after such a long lay off, seven weeks out of championship hurling is a long time. Will be a call that will go down to the wire."
I think he's worth the risk unless he is showing poor form in training . Will have two weeks training behind him and is our best defender in my opinion .

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 16/07/2016 10:56:14    1884164

Link

Really looking forward to this I must say. We are well in bonus territory and our championship record against Waterford is very good. Traditionally we have nothing to fear.

Id be very surprised if jippo doesn't start. The only question is wherw really. Would like to see him in as a direct swap for eanna Martin. He's very strong pushing out of defence and going forward.

Waterford will likely crowd our full forward line so I'd imagine out around midfield to be the key battle ground. I'd agree with the above sentiments. We'll have to swap forwards around throughout the game. Morris is coming back into form and mogie has been much better this year. Need another big game from the highly confident Dunne. I'd expect a huge backlash from Waterford. As such the first 15 minutes or so are crucial. The longer we can stay in it and play our own game, the more vulnerable they become

The prospect of hurling in an all Ireland semi final again is almost too much for me. We're in a better position than 14 as there's still nothing expected of us

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1760 - 16/07/2016 11:25:09    1884173

Link

I don't agree we are in bonus territory. We should be ambitious enough as a team and setup to think a quarter final, after 5 years under this management team, is not bonus territory.
I must also disagree re Paul Morris as I think he has been poor enough the past 2 days.
Ryan will start as a direct replacement for James Breen and Andrew Kenny will replace Martin, I don't think we will see more changes.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 16/07/2016 12:46:23    1884197

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "I don't agree we are in bonus territory. We should be ambitious enough as a team and setup to think a quarter final, after 5 years under this management team, is not bonus territory.
I must also disagree re Paul Morris as I think he has been poor enough the past 2 days.
Ryan will start as a direct replacement for James Breen and Andrew Kenny will replace Martin, I don't think we will see more changes."
Who will come in for doran?

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 16/07/2016 13:43:16    1884217

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "Who will come in for doran?"
Is Doran definitely ruled out?

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 16/07/2016 14:14:11    1884224

Link

Heard a few things thats wrong but none sound good. Hes had a scan and that so itll be a tall order to be fit by next week.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 16/07/2016 14:45:36    1884229

Link

Replying To hurler101:  "Who will come in for doran?"
i would imagine he will start harry kehoe , althought a lad beside me in thurles last week reckons is better off the bench because he looks to nervous when starting games .

gusseraneman (Wexford) - Posts: 521 - 16/07/2016 15:05:49    1884237

Link

Replying To gusseraneman:  "i would imagine he will start harry kehoe , althought a lad beside me in thurles last week reckons is better off the bench because he looks to nervous when starting games ."
I think he will start kehoe but id agree that hes better off the bench. With such limited options i think he may start kehoe. Not much experience anywhere else and as a result we will have very few options off the bench especially in the forwards. Its something that might go against us! Hopefully not and they all go well and we dont get any injuries.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 16/07/2016 15:29:16    1884245

Link