Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To castletownman:  "Think some lads on here need to eat humble pie and give credit where it's finally due. Hurling like a team that doesn't want to hurl for its management.... I don't think so. Guts, determination, hunger. So proud. What a gusty team performance. Humble pie for Jamsie oConnors comments on sky last week. This victory is SWEET."
You cant really blame jamesie o connnor for what he said. nobody but nobody was expecting wexford to win that tie. goen on performance. but for me i could never really write ye of. there as bin many a time ye beat us/ when everybody had ye write'n of. ye have that performance in ye. now ye just have to be consistant. after that atten could happen.

hogan35 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 93 - 10/07/2016 05:09:25    1879764

Link

Great result for the players and everyone involved with the team yesterday evening. Such a pity that there were so few Wexford supporters at the match. Roll on the 24th July, the lads will give it there all and hopefully more supporters will go and cheer on this team who have put there lives on hold to play hurling for the county.
Loch Garman Abú..................................................

nickolas (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 10/07/2016 08:22:37    1879773

Link

Great result for the players and everyone involved with the team yesterday evening. Such a pity that there were so few Wexford supporters at the match. Roll on the 24th July, the lads will give it there all and hopefully more supporters will go and cheer on this team who have put there lives on hold to play hurling for the county.
Loch Garman Abú..................................................

nickolas (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 10/07/2016 08:23:45    1879774

Link

Finally got to see us beat the rebels, only team I've never seen us beat. And done in Thurles to boot!

Fantastic result and performance in a game we should have in all honesty won by more. Their goal was a bit on the soft side meanwhile we missed goal chances ourselves which could have killed the game earlier. Couldn't fault a single player tonight and whilst chin, mc Donald and the likes of Dunne will get the plaudits id like to point out a very well done to young Breen who I feared for being left alone to handle cadogan but was excellent throughout for a young fella in his debut season.

Since th league and Dublin game we have changed out style of play and approach and it's worked wonders.we are playing a game that suits the players we have and Wexford as a county. I said after the Offaly game there looked like a bit of a swagger was back and again it continued today. Fair play to the manager and management team for the turnaround in th space of 6 weeks. Had we taken the same approach earlier in th year who knows where we might be but we are doing it now and doing it very effectively.

Fair play to the management. That's exactly what we want to see. Momentum and progress, that result yesterday was exactly that another step forward. The next day will probably be be an in Thurles and now that monkey is off our back who knows! I'll be honest all I want to see is another performance the next day, let the score be what it is, just another performance, another building block.

I've seen comments about managing our expectations for Wexford and reeling them in etc as if people are expecting too much, can we finally put that tripe to bed! No one is talking about all Ireland or winning anything anytime soon, we are talking about progress, we have a talented bunch of hurlers capable of nights like last night and more, telling them the limit of their expectations should be where we have been beating the likes of Offaly is an insult. These lads have loftier expectations thank god and we have th talent to push on more.

Secondly we all have the success of Wexford hurling at heart everyone with a different view of how that should happen, no one is more right than the other! It's all just opinion so can we cut the primary school stuff of well I go to every match, training session, in every type of weather so my opinion is more valid than yours guff!

I'd never chastise anyone for not going to a match, I know how bloody hard it is particularly now that I have kids and my pay back for yesterday is an entire sunday minding them whilst the missus enjoys a day in dundrum, a fella who goes to no matches has an opinion as valid as one that goes to them all.

We are now in a great position, time to push on as one with nothing to lose and expecting nothing more than another performance the next day and see where that takes us.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 859 - 10/07/2016 09:07:12    1879786

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "Finally got to see us beat the rebels, only team I've never seen us beat. And done in Thurles to boot!

Fantastic result and performance in a game we should have in all honesty won by more. Their goal was a bit on the soft side meanwhile we missed goal chances ourselves which could have killed the game earlier. Couldn't fault a single player tonight and whilst chin, mc Donald and the likes of Dunne will get the plaudits id like to point out a very well done to young Breen who I feared for being left alone to handle cadogan but was excellent throughout for a young fella in his debut season.

Since th league and Dublin game we have changed out style of play and approach and it's worked wonders.we are playing a game that suits the players we have and Wexford as a county. I said after the Offaly game there looked like a bit of a swagger was back and again it continued today. Fair play to the manager and management team for the turnaround in th space of 6 weeks. Had we taken the same approach earlier in th year who knows where we might be but we are doing it now and doing it very effectively.

Fair play to the management. That's exactly what we want to see. Momentum and progress, that result yesterday was exactly that another step forward. The next day will probably be be an in Thurles and now that monkey is off our back who knows! I'll be honest all I want to see is another performance the next day, let the score be what it is, just another performance, another building block.

I've seen comments about managing our expectations for Wexford and reeling them in etc as if people are expecting too much, can we finally put that tripe to bed! No one is talking about all Ireland or winning anything anytime soon, we are talking about progress, we have a talented bunch of hurlers capable of nights like last night and more, telling them the limit of their expectations should be where we have been beating the likes of Offaly is an insult. These lads have loftier expectations thank god and we have th talent to push on more.

Secondly we all have the success of Wexford hurling at heart everyone with a different view of how that should happen, no one is more right than the other! It's all just opinion so can we cut the primary school stuff of well I go to every match, training session, in every type of weather so my opinion is more valid than yours guff!

I'd never chastise anyone for not going to a match, I know how bloody hard it is particularly now that I have kids and my pay back for yesterday is an entire sunday minding them whilst the missus enjoys a day in dundrum, a fella who goes to no matches has an opinion as valid as one that goes to them all.

We are now in a great position, time to push on as one with nothing to lose and expecting nothing more than another performance the next day and see where that takes us."
100% agreed tearintom. Was able to hold head high and chest out walking back to the square as a proud Wexford man. Instead of slouching along with me tail between the legs. Delighted for the players and management team.
To knock Cork out of the championship and in Thurles. My bossman was a teenager when we last did. I felt the weight of our history v Cork as I walked up to Semple and I wondered if we got in to a position would we hold firm. By jeez we did.
To have the resolve and composure after their goal - think it makes it sweeter.
Won't get too carried away or maybe I will - sure you have to dream.

Dirk (Wexford) - Posts: 65 - 10/07/2016 09:33:06    1879800

Link

Just a quick mention to Simon Donohue who achieved the rare feat yesterday of playing senior and under-21 for the county in both codes in championship this year. Quite the acheievement that will no doubt not even get a mention in all the soundbytes about the demise of Cork hurling etc.

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 747 - 10/07/2016 09:37:01    1879803

Link

Replying To tearintom:  "Finally got to see us beat the rebels, only team I've never seen us beat. And done in Thurles to boot!

We are now in a great position, time to push on as one with nothing to lose and expecting nothing more than another performance the next day and see where that takes us."
A lot of waffle there and a little bit of preachibg tearintom, but in fairness, some good stuff there as well and yes it's just your opinion.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 10:07:58    1879831

Link

I go to all the matches and my opinion is no better than anyone else on this forum. It is easier for me as i have no children and a very understanding wife. Secondly I live in County Laois and have been living out of the county for twenty years. It is easier for me to travel and go to the away games and Wexford park is only sixty miles away. But the support this year for whatever the reasons has been really poor. For years I only went to odd games and watched many in the pub. Three years ago I decided to go to more matches and have become addicted. My better half would rather watch paint dry than go to a match or watch GAA on the telly. Before the match I thought Cork would beat us by four or five points and still cant believe we managed to beat them. Looking forward to next Sunday week and who knows anything could happen.
Loch Garman Abú...........................................

nickolas (Wexford) - Posts: 28 - 10/07/2016 10:16:37    1879837

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Gminor this is the sort of people you really need a discussion with..."
Yeah, tox73 must have been sick as a parrot last night, but if you've been following what's been said by some Wexford hurling 'supporters' on this forum, he wasn't alone. A lot of them are fairly silent at the moment and no doubt they'll stay that way until whenever the team looses again and then they expect to be taken seriously.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 10:21:20    1879841

Link

Well done to the lads, they really stood up yesterday, especially after conceding the goal, often we'd have wilted but our leaders stood up and were counted. Cork people saying this it the worst 'Cork team ever' maybe so but pretty much this same team came within a whisker or winning the All Ireland in 2013.

Anyway thank you lads, I know I was walking taller last night. As for the next day. We can hope and dream.

Wexilad (Wexford) - Posts: 62 - 10/07/2016 10:24:00    1879843

Link

Who the only player to play inter county football, hurling under 21,intermediate and senior in the one year ?

hunting (Wexford) - Posts: 656 - 10/07/2016 10:31:34    1879850

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Gminor & castletownman,just to point out a few things before you keep going with your i told you so stuff,the vast majority here including myself who taught we only had a small chance today wanted and are absolutely delighted to be proven wrong!!we were only making our judgements on our performances over the last year or 18 months,i don't know if you noticed but people like myself,dolyerwex,cragask and perfect10 never doubted the fact we've talented hurlers we just hadn't delivered often enough lately and thank god we saved our best or 2nd best performance of the year for today(Waterford in the league being our other very good performance).there's not point gloating about this person said this and this person said that today is a time for been proud and congratulating the players and management on our most important win by a distance in 2 years

Onto the game taught the defence hurled excellently as a unit with Moore and o'hanlon particularly good,foley was very good outside of the goal I taught fanning could have made a better attempt to stop it aswel,chin and McDonald obviously should great skill and leadership and really look like their going to be 2 of our pivotal characters for many years,you have to admire david dunne for his pure guts and workrate,if he had stuck 1 of those goal chances it would have been fully deserved,in fairness corks wides played a factor in our half time lead but our 2nd half time performance was outstanding,when cork got the goal I had the here we go again feeling but the last 10 mins or so was the best finish to a game we've produced in recent times only other I can think of is extra time against Clare in 2014,now isn't a time for talking about corks failings or our next game,I'm just thrilled to arrive home from thurles in good form for a change,I don't imagine the quarter final will be in croke park,they've always been in thurles the last few years,they usually play the 2 senior quarter finals and 1 of the minor quarter finals as a treble header so our minors and seniors could both be playing,what a good day out that would be.

Congratulations to all players management and backroom team involved on the win,it's just fantastic to have salvaged something from the year,we're probably the team everyone's wants to draw etc. and the national media will focus more how it was a dark day for cork but once we go out and hurl with passion,commitment and freedom I'll be happy enough"
So good you had to say it twice. The only problem I had with your little band of merry men was that ye blindly refused to accept the work done in the the two phases of redevelopment, 2012 -2014 and from 2014 - 2016. Ye gave no credence to the fact that the championship team was desimated with injury. There just seemed to be, what in my opinion, was a mindless rant to get rid of the manager without ever looking at the bigger picture.

Notwithstanding that the team setup, preparation and excution was excellant last night, I've no doubt if cork had scrapped a one point win after the gifted goal I'm sure ye'd be back on here this morning looking for Liam Dunnes head and again, blindly ignoring everything else.

Don't worry the wound will heal and the bleeding will stop eventually.

On another point who gave you the authority to speak on behalf of other posters. Am I getting the message that there's a conspiracy going on here or are you just licking up to the other people you mentioned hoping that they'll back you - stand on your own two feet man

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 10:45:52    1879860

Link

A lot of truth and common sense in that post

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 10/07/2016 11:02:17    1879876

Link

100% agreed tearintom. Was able to hold head high and chest out walking back to the square as a proud Wexford man. Instead of slouching along with me tail between the legs. Delighted for the players and management team.
To knock Cork out of the championship and in Thurles. My bossman was a teenager when we last did. I felt the weight of our history v Cork as I walked up to Semple and I wondered if we got in to a position would we hold firm. By jeez we did.
To have the resolve and composure after their goal - think it makes it sweeter.
Won't get too carried away or maybe I will - sure you have to dream.

Dirk (Wexford) - Posts: 65 - 10/07/2016 11:02:57    1879878

Link

Replying To gminor:  "So good you had to say it twice. The only problem I had with your little band of merry men was that ye blindly refused to accept the work done in the the two phases of redevelopment, 2012 -2014 and from 2014 - 2016. Ye gave no credence to the fact that the championship team was desimated with injury. There just seemed to be, what in my opinion, was a mindless rant to get rid of the manager without ever looking at the bigger picture.

Notwithstanding that the team setup, preparation and excution was excellant last night, I've no doubt if cork had scrapped a one point win after the gifted goal I'm sure ye'd be back on here this morning looking for Liam Dunnes head and again, blindly ignoring everything else.

Don't worry the wound will heal and the bleeding will stop eventually.

On another point who gave you the authority to speak on behalf of other posters. Am I getting the message that there's a conspiracy going on here or are you just licking up to the other people you mentioned hoping that they'll back you - stand on your own two feet man"
Ha the only reason it posted twice was my broadband is so slow and i taught it didnt go up the 1st time!!dont worry no need to call the FBI no conspiracy going on,if you were actually serious i could claim yourself and castletownman are the one's up to that stuff,before you come back biting relax i'm only joking.

As i said before i was only making my judgements over a year or 18 month period of results and performances, i have many times acknowledged the fact we'v been crippled with injuries in the last few months and if you look at my posts over the last 2 or 3 years i have a belief that is alot of talented hurlers in this county, we just havent produced enough performances like yesterday in recent times, just because someone is here posting something negative doesn't mean we're mad for success and have the best interests of wexford hurling at heart, would you prefer us to be like frank and his yes man down in cork who apparently are convincing themselves everything is rosy when it isnt.the sort of people you have the agenda with is the person who came on here in march or april and claimed mcdonald in only top class hurler we've produced in recent years.

if cork had robbed a win yesterday i would have congratulated the lads on a spirited and improved display just look at my posts after the waterford game in the league, the people who like to stick the boot in would have been here saying ah the only reason we got close is cork were bad.our challenge is now is to deliver a good performance again in the quarter final, wexford have the tag in the national media of 'there's a big performance in them' , i hate us having that tag and what us to lose that tag. i want every day to be a big performance and if not every day most days, i've said it here before talent isn't our problem it's consistency.

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 10/07/2016 12:09:36    1879925

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Ha the only reason it posted twice was my broadband is so slow and i taught it didnt go up the 1st time!!dont worry no need to call the FBI no conspiracy going on,if you were actually serious i could claim yourself and castletownman are the one's up to that stuff,before you come back biting relax i'm only joking.

As i said before i was only making my judgements over a year or 18 month period of results and performances, i have many times acknowledged the fact we'v been crippled with injuries in the last few months and if you look at my posts over the last 2 or 3 years i have a belief that is alot of talented hurlers in this county, we just havent produced enough performances like yesterday in recent times, just because someone is here posting something negative doesn't mean we're mad for success and have the best interests of wexford hurling at heart, would you prefer us to be like frank and his yes man down in cork who apparently are convincing themselves everything is rosy when it isnt.the sort of people you have the agenda with is the person who came on here in march or april and claimed mcdonald in only top class hurler we've produced in recent years.

if cork had robbed a win yesterday i would have congratulated the lads on a spirited and improved display just look at my posts after the waterford game in the league, the people who like to stick the boot in would have been here saying ah the only reason we got close is cork were bad.our challenge is now is to deliver a good performance again in the quarter final, wexford have the tag in the national media of 'there's a big performance in them' , i hate us having that tag and what us to lose that tag. i want every day to be a big performance and if not every day most days, i've said it here before talent isn't our problem it's consistency."
No hard feelings. In another tac, It was good that we were the in-between match last night and consequently had to stay off the pitch after the game. When we won against Waterford in 2014 we ran out on the pitch like lunatics as if we'd won the All Ireland, which put huge pressure on the players. it's very low key this time, which is good, I drove through Gorey earlier and the only flag I saw was the one at monument.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 10/07/2016 12:55:16    1879969

Link

I have not posted in a while but I have watched with interest, replying to gminor is just feeding a troll. All this talk of going to every match, etc yet never once has anything been offered on a performance of anyone. I wonder is he that Cork poster in disguise, or the one who a while back ruined the board with nonsensical ramblings?

Anyway, back to yesterday. Fantastic! It was not a skillful performance but no shortage of heart. We battled to a win. Great performances by O'Hanlon, Foley (with the exception of the mistake for the goal), Jack O in the first half, McDonald throughout and David Dunne also. But for me,
Chin stood head and shoulders above any man on the field. His aerial ability, his workrate, were second to none.
In the midst of a terrible injury crisis, we found new leaders yesterday. Liam Og popped up with 2 vital points having not troubled the score keeper in the first 65 minutes. James Breen got to grips with Cadogan in the 2nd half.
So now we have every chance of winning a quarter final. But we need to significantly improve on yesterday also. Too many times Cork players found 5-10 yards on our lads, sometimes we over elaborated when a quick ball down the field was the better option.
The support yesterday was vocal but badly out numbered. Luckily in the Ardan O'Riain there was a larger contingent. I know it is not the easiest place to get to from Wexford but we have a duty to support our team if we want Wexford hurling to get back to the top. Bringing children to a big match is worth all the Cul Camps in the world. Get kids wanting to hurl in front of 50k people, wanting to make the sacrifice to do so, is vital. The Independent today reflects badly on our supporters, mentioning our paltry attendance. And look, what is 2 hours in a car when you beat Cork!
Yesterday reminded me of our win over Tipp in 2007, a small support but sweet for those who witnessed it.
So ignore the talk of Cork being bad, we were more up for the fight and we deserved our win.
UP WEXFORD!!!!!!

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 10/07/2016 12:59:43    1879974

Link

Well lads, what a fantastic day in thurles yesterday. Delighted for everyone involved. We didn't give Cork an inch all day. Yesterdays performance proved we can compete with the best bar maybe Kilkenny at present. Can't fault anyone for their performance as everyone put in a huge shift. I taught in particular Liam og and Mac stood up to get scores at the end when needed. We need to produce a similar type of performance full of intensity and quality hurling now in the quarter final. We will have Aidan Nolan and hopefully Liam Ryan back for the next day and and both could go straight back into the team. We have to push on now and not be thinking about who we are missing, we have a team capable of getting us into a semi final .

Afinestick (Wexford) - Posts: 415 - 10/07/2016 13:04:06    1879981

Link

Replying To gminor:  "No hard feelings. In another tac, It was good that we were the in-between match last night and consequently had to stay off the pitch after the game. When we won against Waterford in 2014 we ran out on the pitch like lunatics as if we'd won the All Ireland, which put huge pressure on the players. it's very low key this time, which is good, I drove through Gorey earlier and the only flag I saw was the one at monument."
The feelings mutual we all want the same end result for Wexford hurling,we're in bonus territory now all I want in the quarter final is a performance and something to build on for next year,tangible progress and building blocks for momentum just like yesterday was. Nobody here is expecting all Ireland's just want us to be consistently competitive with the perceived top 8 and yesterday we sent 1 of them packing. Although the support was poor yesterday I expect a good following at the quarter final once supporters see a glimmer of hope they'll travel its just the nature of fans,look at Waterford they had a terrible support in 2014 when they played us in Nowlan park when they where at a low ebb,look at the support they'll have in limerick today

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3194 - 10/07/2016 13:20:42    1879989

Link

I dont think anybody on here would be raging wexford won any game. We are all followers of hurling and football in wexford and always want them to win, to suggest otherwise is a bit childish.

I was asked is that enough momentum, theres no such thing as enough. We need to keep improving. I was hugely impressed with so much of our play, our set up and our bottle yesterday and i hope it can continue. Huge credit must go to Dunne and backroom team and i have no problem saying that. It still doesnt change my view on what should happen next year and such a good performance maybe raises more questions for me.

However, this is not the time for such a debate. All involved deserve a huge well done and should go into a quarter final quietly confident of pulling off another shock. Fair play.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 10/07/2016 14:45:01    1880039

Link