USA Forum

NY GAA 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any news on anything going on in GAA circles? Anything on senior team who's out who's returning from last year? College team? Clubhouse? Any progress?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 58 - 14/01/2020 13:28:33    2259699

Link

College team lost final today to John Moore's of Liverpool. Hard luck lads, but onward and upward for our youth. Represented NY well!!

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 181 - 08/02/2020 16:40:55    2266120

Link

Peogress on the clubhouse lol
Still be asking that in another 5 years

Tourist (USA) - Posts: 22 - 16/02/2020 13:10:16    2267937

Link

Man has it got quiet in here. No predictions of a tight match on May 3rd or rumors of it 'going great' in training etc?

Shinkicker (USA) - Posts: 145 - 19/02/2020 22:10:45    2268526

Link

does anyone think we will have a season at all here in New York in 2020

westmeathny (USA) - Posts: 8 - 24/03/2020 14:02:13    2274474

Link

Replying To westmeathny:  "does anyone think we will have a season at all here in New York in 2020"
Cannot see why the entire season will be cancelled. Looking at previous schedules see that the championship does not begin until June and the senior hurling and senior football championships were completed in August. Even if the championships do not begin until July 1 time to complete them.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 25/03/2020 20:11:20    2274662

Link

Replying To westmeathny:  "does anyone think we will have a season at all here in New York in 2020"
Cannot see why the entire season will be cancelled. Looking at previous schedules see that the championship does not begin until June and the senior hurling and senior football championships were completed in August. Even if the championships do not begin until July 1 time to complete them.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 25/03/2020 20:22:51    2274664

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Cannot see why the entire season will be cancelled. Looking at previous schedules see that the championship does not begin until June and the senior hurling and senior football championships were completed in August. Even if the championships do not begin until July 1 time to complete them."
League is already called off but agree that a championship should be able to take place. Even with a late start it will still get completed.

Start June. Every game gets played. Start July then single rounds in senior and intermediate and it will still get done. Can't see many player from Ireland out this year so will be a good test for the home players.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 548 - 27/03/2020 00:11:24    2274799

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "League is already called off but agree that a championship should be able to take place. Even with a late start it will still get completed.

Start June. Every game gets played. Start July then single rounds in senior and intermediate and it will still get done. Can't see many player from Ireland out this year so will be a good test for the home players."
Start in July.
Senior Football: Championship, double round, teams play each week-end.........good for supporters.
Intermediate Football: Double round, teams play each weekend.........................good for supporters.
Junior A: Two sections (6 + 5), three qualify from #1, 4 from #2 ( 3 v 4 0 for 1/4 final spot.
Junior B: Two sections (6 + 6), four qualify from each section.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 27/03/2020 15:26:57    2274836

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Start in July.
Senior Football: Championship, double round, teams play each week-end.........good for supporters.
Intermediate Football: Double round, teams play each weekend.........................good for supporters.
Junior A: Two sections (6 + 5), three qualify from #1, 4 from #2 ( 3 v 4 0 for 1/4 final spot.
Junior B: Two sections (6 + 6), four qualify from each section."
i guess we will have to wait and see what croke park say seen on the news that it could be july before its under control in ireland then teams will need some time to train etc i guess all that matters is that it is that the virus is stoped and everyone is safe

westmeathny (USA) - Posts: 8 - 01/04/2020 14:33:54    2275170

Link

Recent interview. What is your opinion?
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/former-kerry-chief-fears-for-new-york-gaas-future-991346.html

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 02/04/2020 18:24:56    2275219

Link

He makes some good points with the money being thrown around. Look at what happened to senior hurling in the last 10 years, only down to two clubs while the junior division thrived. With the current situation of covid and the possible inability for summer players to travel, if the championship is able to be run off, we could see a home based team such as barnabas taking the senior football title. All the home based teams will thrive over the teams who rely on mercenaries. In the article posted below from the 42, Longford say they may need to ask to regrade in order to compete. This will do nothing to teach a team that a home base is needed and I do not think it should be granted

https://www.the42.ie/irish-based-gaa-players-new-york-5063920-Apr2020/

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 58 - 03/04/2020 13:52:27    2275262

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "He makes some good points with the money being thrown around. Look at what happened to senior hurling in the last 10 years, only down to two clubs while the junior division thrived. With the current situation of covid and the possible inability for summer players to travel, if the championship is able to be run off, we could see a home based team such as barnabas taking the senior football title. All the home based teams will thrive over the teams who rely on mercenaries. In the article posted below from the 42, Longford say they may need to ask to regrade in order to compete. This will do nothing to teach a team that a home base is needed and I do not think it should be granted

https://www.the42.ie/irish-based-gaa-players-new-york-5063920-Apr2020/"
I read the article. From what I know of the set-up in New York it would be easier to field a senior team, if you had a home base of say twelve or thirteen, and add to those draft players, than to regrade and get drafts from what was left after the seniors took the cream of the available players.
If a club had access to summer jobs I'm sure American born college bound, or college students, would be delighted to get good paying summer jobs, knowing that if the commit themselves the would have a job the following years also.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 03/04/2020 16:34:16    2275276

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "I read the article. From what I know of the set-up in New York it would be easier to field a senior team, if you had a home base of say twelve or thirteen, and add to those draft players, than to regrade and get drafts from what was left after the seniors took the cream of the available players.
If a club had access to summer jobs I'm sure American born college bound, or college students, would be delighted to get good paying summer jobs, knowing that if the commit themselves the would have a job the following years also."
Doesn't that article basically admit that Longford are relying on summer players and spending money to do it? what are they trying to achieve by making that public? everyone knows what these lads have been getting from them. I think this virus is actually a good thing for NY GAA as it gets rid of the money, for a year at least and gives a level playing field to the clubs trying to do it right. will be interesting to see Barnabas and rangers in senior this year with a strong homebase.

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 204 - 03/04/2020 19:15:59    2275281

Link

Replying To NYCcavanman:  "Doesn't that article basically admit that Longford are relying on summer players and spending money to do it? what are they trying to achieve by making that public? everyone knows what these lads have been getting from them. I think this virus is actually a good thing for NY GAA as it gets rid of the money, for a year at least and gives a level playing field to the clubs trying to do it right. will be interesting to see Barnabas and rangers in senior this year with a strong homebase."
Without doubt Longford rely heavily on the summer players and their not hiding the fact. Right now even if football was to resume in 3 weeks a lot of these clubs will not be able to buy these players.
I'm sure there will be a back log of rent on bars etc. to take care of first. We will feel the effects of this pandemic for years to come.

Did anyone read Pat the Bag O'Sullivans comments on NY Gaa.?

Our chair lady gave him a good reply.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 548 - 04/04/2020 14:31:42    2275319

Link

how everyone feeling now about games in the park this year

westmeathny (USA) - Posts: 8 - 28/04/2020 15:35:04    2276917

Link

Replying To westmeathny:  "how everyone feeling now about games in the park this year"
Not hearing anything about reopening. We should be getting updates about getting started. See no reason why games cannot be played starting July. Then we have plenty of time to finish.
Teams should be back training soon.

Crossgaa (Mayo) - Posts: 548 - 18/05/2020 11:29:17    2278580

Link

Replying To Crossgaa:  "Not hearing anything about reopening. We should be getting updates about getting started. See no reason why games cannot be played starting July. Then we have plenty of time to finish.
Teams should be back training soon."
Have to agree with you on this, Games should be scheduled to start in July. Still no competition format or schedule of games online. The clubs are been kept in the dark and nobody knows what is going on. Seems like there are no plans to reopen soon and some are saying the park will be closed for the entire season, maybe for financial reasons this makes sense as expenses could out weight their revenue but it will make things alot harder on clubs to band together in 2021 after a year off.

Howdidigethere (USA) - Posts: 5 - 21/05/2020 22:26:10    2278952

Link

Any word yet on re-opening ? Have the divisions met to discuss possible schedule formats? How many clubs actually have teams? Will all games be 13 a-side? If there are no spectators who will monitor the proceedings? Was the drafting of players held and read out or posted?

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 17/06/2020 16:11:11    2281130

Link

Replying To Gaa Fan:  "Any word yet on re-opening ? Have the divisions met to discuss possible schedule formats? How many clubs actually have teams? Will all games be 13 a-side? If there are no spectators who will monitor the proceedings? Was the drafting of players held and read out or posted?"
I see where games were played yesterday 31 July and games are scheduled for the coming weeks.

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 549 - 01/08/2020 21:57:46    2286076

Link