Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Anto:  "He won't be pushed for footballing reasons. It will be totally political.

This is a laughable statement. Under his management team Sligo have won 3 out of 18 games. Doe that not deserve removal for footballing reasons? One of the criticisms of county board is giving him a second year having lost every game last year. It is was blatantly clear he was out of his depth."
I assume that's in reply to eoinog's response as I agree with you, he shouldn't have been reappointed last year let alone look beyond this year and that's purely on results

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 81 - 11/11/2020 12:58:49    2307560

Link

Well it is obvious that amongst posters Taylor has practically no support and that his removal is necessary for Sligo to improve. Question so, name the manager that should be appointed that will have us in D3 at the end of the next league campaign and in a Connacht final within 2 years. From an examination of posts on this subject since Taylor's appointment, anything less from a new manager and he will be deemed a failure.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 213 - 11/11/2020 13:26:35    2307575

Link

Replying To Maggiepie:  "Well it is obvious that amongst posters Taylor has practically no support and that his removal is necessary for Sligo to improve. Question so, name the manager that should be appointed that will have us in D3 at the end of the next league campaign and in a Connacht final within 2 years. From an examination of posts on this subject since Taylor's appointment, anything less from a new manager and he will be deemed a failure."
Very good post maggiepie. That's exactly my point. The easiest thing is to get rid of Taylor and be seen to be doing something. For different reasons we probably had a 2 or 3 players that made themselves unavailable and we must respect that. I am not a Murphy fan but he is entitled to travel for a year the same as countless other footballers in other counties. . Whoever is managing next year needs to unearth a full back, centre back and at least one midfielder. In my mind theoare not in the county at present. I firmly believe that we will be in Div 4 this time next year irrespective of who is managing us.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 11/11/2020 15:07:33    2307631

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Very good post maggiepie. That's exactly my point. The easiest thing is to get rid of Taylor and be seen to be doing something. For different reasons we probably had a 2 or 3 players that made themselves unavailable and we must respect that. I am not a Murphy fan but he is entitled to travel for a year the same as countless other footballers in other counties. . Whoever is managing next year needs to unearth a full back, centre back and at least one midfielder. In my mind theoare not in the county at present. I firmly believe that we will be in Div 4 this time next year irrespective of who is managing us."
We finished 3rd from bottom, in 30th position. With only Waterford and London below us. Keep Taylor in charge and we will continue to decline. What we would like to see as supporters is improvement, some structure in place, standards to improve. That will only happen eith new management. I cannot believe some supporters on here defending the indefensible.

Anto (Sligo) - Posts: 282 - 11/11/2020 16:59:23    2307679

Link

Replying To Anto:  "We finished 3rd from bottom, in 30th position. With only Waterford and London below us. Keep Taylor in charge and we will continue to decline. What we would like to see as supporters is improvement, some structure in place, standards to improve. That will only happen eith new management. I cannot believe some supporters on here defending the indefensible."
Our lack of ambition is frightening, to suggest that whoever manages this group that we would remain rooted to our current position is an example of this, the bulk of the squad have played in connacht minor and u21 (loosing in xtra time!) A number have won senior A colleges medals but it's not Paul's fault??? Surely we can do better than 31st in the country??

Whereismyman (Sligo) - Posts: 5 - 11/11/2020 17:46:49    2307694

Link

Aidan Rooney to take over.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 238 - 12/11/2020 10:44:10    2307896

Link

I see Taylor has fallen on the sword. Had to happen with the results how they were and I imagine he is happy enough to be out. That's a starting point but what else needs to change as Taylor ain't the only issue I imagine?

maximus_1 (Sligo) - Posts: 17 - 12/11/2020 11:08:52    2307902

Link

Paul Taylor has stepped down. Not surprising really. Now the fun will start. Rumours and counter rumours about who is asked etc etc. . It will probably be some body from outside the county. It really won't make any difference who is appointed. I don't expect to be getting promoted next year. I am not negative, just realistic. We need to put the foundations in place and they are very weak. ..... A week before the County championship started this year we had no sponsor. . A very poor minor team from the combined area of Tubber, Cloonacool, Coolaney and Mullinabreena., The same last year from Owenmore Gaels and John's. A Co Minor Panell where all Dad's on the mgt team have sons on the panel, some who are very weak. I could go on and on but you have heard all this from me before. Politics is rife, and Taylor stepping away will only paper the cracks. I am glad Taylor left. It didn't work out for him.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 12/11/2020 11:19:10    2307910

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Paul Taylor has stepped down. Not surprising really. Now the fun will start. Rumours and counter rumours about who is asked etc etc. . It will probably be some body from outside the county. It really won't make any difference who is appointed. I don't expect to be getting promoted next year. I am not negative, just realistic. We need to put the foundations in place and they are very weak. ..... A week before the County championship started this year we had no sponsor. . A very poor minor team from the combined area of Tubber, Cloonacool, Coolaney and Mullinabreena., The same last year from Owenmore Gaels and John's. A Co Minor Panell where all Dad's on the mgt team have sons on the panel, some who are very weak. I could go on and on but you have heard all this from me before. Politics is rife, and Taylor stepping away will only paper the cracks. I am glad Taylor left. It didn't work out for him."
Glad Taylor is gone, change was needed, he seemed to have lost the players, but on the other hand that board needs a serious shake up, and people held accountable,
Eddie Brennan got badly stung after a interview with a Joe. His comments echo a lot of peoples thoughts about our board and probably alot of other 'weaker' counties boards, along for the free ride and jackets.

'The eight-time All-Ireland winning Kilkenny legend can be clearly heard at the end of the interview pointing out that he is speaking 'off the record' to former Laois footballer Parkinson, before launching into a devastating critique of the board's top officials. 'The boys have been holding Laois back for years with hurling and football. There is no point in f**king having absolute stooks in there and all they are doing it for is their free jackets and their free entry into the matches and they going around scratching their h*** when they have absolutely no ambition for the good of the county,' blasted Brennan.

A big clearout is needed.....badly

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 43 - 12/11/2020 12:15:44    2307925

Link

Replying To sligopublican:  "Glad Taylor is gone, change was needed, he seemed to have lost the players, but on the other hand that board needs a serious shake up, and people held accountable,
Eddie Brennan got badly stung after a interview with a Joe. His comments echo a lot of peoples thoughts about our board and probably alot of other 'weaker' counties boards, along for the free ride and jackets.

'The eight-time All-Ireland winning Kilkenny legend can be clearly heard at the end of the interview pointing out that he is speaking 'off the record' to former Laois footballer Parkinson, before launching into a devastating critique of the board's top officials. 'The boys have been holding Laois back for years with hurling and football. There is no point in f**king having absolute stooks in there and all they are doing it for is their free jackets and their free entry into the matches and they going around scratching their h*** when they have absolutely no ambition for the good of the county,' blasted Brennan.

A big clearout is needed.....badly"
Brennan was was 100% right and id to check it twice to see was he on about our own cb ,but i only started going to cb meetings 10 years ago and its just musical chairs ,

Timmy86 (Sligo) - Posts: 164 - 12/11/2020 12:31:39    2307930

Link

Replying To sligopublican:  "Glad Taylor is gone, change was needed, he seemed to have lost the players, but on the other hand that board needs a serious shake up, and people held accountable,

I heard that podcast. Surprised there wasn't more of a reaction

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 841 - 12/11/2020 12:56:39    2307946

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "

I heard that podcast. Surprised there wasn't more of a reaction"
He was never going to come back for a third year anyways I reckon so he couldn't give a toss, he will be eyeing up replacing Cody in the long run ,
His comments do run true with many county's boards however , people with zero drive , and just along for the title of being on the board and calling the shots

I can't see anything changing however

sligopublican (Sligo) - Posts: 43 - 12/11/2020 13:24:30    2307961

Link

R Brennan for Manager as he has had plenty of experience over the past two years as a de facto selector

leyny (Sligo) - Posts: 47 - 12/11/2020 14:09:08    2307983

Link

Mickey Harte

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 434 - 12/11/2020 14:25:57    2307991

Link

First and foremost I would like to thank Paul and the management team for their efforts in the last 2 years. It was not an easy task and in fairness, he took it on in strange circumstances but has done the right thing. I wasn't happy at the hiring but I still wanted him to succeed like everyone. For me to its doesn't tarnish is playing career at all as I heard some idiots say, a lot players couldn't lace his boots in what he did for Sligo and Harps and I'll always treasure those memories of that opening 97 Connacht final point and his performance for Harps against Ballaghdereen in the Connacht club championships etc...

I am not surprised how it all went tbh, however, there is a danger for me, whatever Paul lacked in Management I thought on the face of it he covered his weaknesses in his backroom team appointments. And this is concerning Dineen was a great player but he did better with Roscommon underage than any Sligo manager within our county getting them to All Ireland finals. Joe Keane coached Mayo to senior All Ireland finals they should have won. John Mac I have only heard good things about and he was great player for Sligo too. These are serious men so I am concerned they did not get more out of the current players. There is no way Taylor lost all the players, hes a nice guy and if any of the current crop of players touch his playing career we would be doing much better. He may have lost the older lads is my read though like murphy didnt commit but the slient majority I'd doubt it. The younger lads need to toughen up because there is a lack of leaders on this team and the older players for me if I was one of the younger lads I wouldn't be looking up to anyone.

The other major concern I have is the players, if you bear with me. If someone said to you 5 years we are going to win a Connacht minor in 2015 and u21 in 2017 (both of which could of happened) and you are going to have Connacht minor finalist team in 2017 too get to an All Ireland Semi final (again could of) and then your going have another Sligo team who beats Mayo, Roscommon and Leitrim in 2019 and add in to that Summerhill will win a Connacht A in 2016 and St Attractas will get A finals in 16,17,18. That's a run of good teams at 2015, 2017 and 2019 at minor. Answer me this given all of the above if you were told this in 2015 would you then say it's acceptable for Sligo to be ranked 29th in the country. Since 1968 have we ever had a period in our history of underage competitiveness and dominance.
I use the hypothetical of us winning those to overemphasize the point because we were good enough and I think it's crazy that we are where we are given the last 5 years. I also think its crazy that some people think this was predictable. How have we sabotaged it all to be one of the worst teams in the country. Teams with no underage success, who aren't even competitive are better than us at senior.

My conclusion is I don't accept our current position is a true reflection of the player/coach pool potential and what is coming in the next few years. We are better than this talent-wise however mentality wise and physicality wise I would is what costs us.

For me it is in this team to get promoted. No doubts. That will be the target next year but how do you get there. What steps need to be taken to get us there. What do we need to do be competitive in Connacht again. We are very slow at reacting to change, it was 2015 since Mayo destroyed us in the Connacht final and we are still conceding way too many goal chances and against weaker teams.

What calibre of manager can we attract, Rochford, McGuinness, no chance , Our reputation is not good so it wont be easy and the players are not easy managed.

Realistic options -
O Hara, O Donnell, Kevin Johnson, Peter Solan, Connelly etc….would be on my short list.

The last time we were here everyone was like nobody wants it but look at Hyland at the same time going to Leitrim, they punched above and got their man. We can do the same. We need to be ambitious. We need culture change and a Manager that will attract the best players to play and get us past our mindset issues. We also need private investment into Sligo senior setup.

There are a few great minds in Sligo and people I have the highest regard for, problem is there are idiots too who do nothing but get in the way of success so that needs to change. We need proactive, ambitious people in the County Board.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 13/11/2020 06:42:24    2308233

Link

I like the idea of Fergal O'Donnell although as mentioned we're not exactly the most appetising prospect at the moment. Does anyone know where he is now and if ye think he would be interested? To me it seems like a great opportunity for him as its close to Ros, has an opportunity of beating them and lets be honest the only way is up. We are not a bottom half of div 4 team anyone can see that.

I truly believe we need to tap into our diaspora within Ireland and see what we can find. Anyone reading this who knows of solid county standard players needs to bring it to the attention of the powers that be. We need to seek guys in Dublin, galway, kerry etc who want to play county football and are to our level, I am positive there are plenty. Imagine what a boast of 3/4 really good players would do to that team, it would bring on the like of Murphy, Red, POC... Imagine if we got a huge midfielder who is on the fringe of the kerry panel.. its ugly but the rules are there to be used.

unfortunately I dont think we have the talent in the county of our own.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 275 - 13/11/2020 19:19:00    2308471

Link

I think that's a fantastic point on fringe players in other counties Republican. We recently acquired Naughton from Knockmore Mayo. The problem is he is a forward albeit a very good one and will boost us. We need to target defenders and midfielders with Sligo roots or get them jobs. It would not be easy but if a database of this was compiled would be very beneficial.

We need to improve the pace of the team as well, honestly, if I was manager a fitness test wouldn't be just about stamina and endurance it would be about pace and how long you can sustain it, speed of turn and if you couldn't match the targets on speed I wouldn't have you involved. We need faster players who can stay with the runners. I would run trials like a NFL combine with the ball. We lack pace in too many positions. Kilgannon the GK showed more pace and ball-carrying ability than most of our defence against limerick as an example

For me from a coaching point of view, in certain positions physical attributes would come first and footballing ability second. I think that's where it has gone wrong in recent years in that we are developing good footballers without the physical attributes for example play midfield or full back. Any 6.2+ basketball players for midfield etc...??

If I was Sligo County Board I would be speaking to Johnny Kelly, McIntyre Niall Murphy, etc....any player who didn't commit this year or recently and see first of all what there looking for in a Manager but also if they will come back if we pick a Manager who ticks those boxes. I wouldn't be doing it to inflate their ego or beg them but we need our best available playing if Manager was an issue then we need to rectify that so we maximise our potential.

Just leave no stone unturned. We have the centre of excellence and underage so the excuse's are pointing in a narrower direction.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 13/11/2020 20:07:14    2308489

Link

And for any Sligo player who is serious about being the best they can be and learn lessons on wellbeing from the best, you should watch Jonny Wilkinson on the high-performance podcast.

And one thing that every Sligo person should inject into themselves in terms of hope is Phillp Jordan just tweeted that in 02 when Tyrone lost to Sligo, lifting Sam seemed further away than ever and Mickey Harte came in 03 and they lifted Sam at his first go beating reigning champions Armagh in the final. Obviously not saying we will Sam but with the right manager, we could manifest major improvements quicker than expected. You just never know when the right pieces of the jigsaw are put in place what might happen.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 13/11/2020 23:42:39    2308582

Link

Any reason why John O'Mahoney hasn't been in the reckoning over the years?

Did he burn bridges at some point? He's managing a club side in Westmeath and has got them to county final.

Bawner (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 14/11/2020 16:49:47    2308763

Link

Would be super to get someone like Mickey Harte.

The calibre of candidate we go for will say everything about ambitions of CB. Let people like Mickey say they're not interested rather than die wondering.

CB already slipped up not asking for a postponement v Galway. They should have put the onus on Croke Park/Connacht council to make the call, even if they were refused.

The uplift and experience that someone like Mickey would bring would be immense. He won't be idle for long.

Bawner (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 14/11/2020 19:16:38    2308844

Link