Sligo Forum

Sligo 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I will be shocked if Mickey Harte manages a team again. He has had a brilliant career on the sidelines as Tyrone manager. He is not a journeyman that will pop up somewhere else.. He won't tarnish his legacy. John O Mahoney is too old for a county set up now. Both himself and Harte are not far off 70 years.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 14/11/2020 20:19:36    2308881

Link

Leitrim were in the exact same position as Sligo find themselves in now. We finished bottom half of div 4 in 2018. NY should have bet us in the championship. We had a good u21 team that was coming through. Tbf to Leitrim CB they got the man they wanted in Terry Hyland. He had done a great job with Cavan u21s & seniors. Leitrim have improved hugely under him. Sligo now have the chance to go and get somebody of that standard. I don't know much about Sligo football managers but I'll name a few that I think should be high on the list. Before people think Mickey Harte wouldn't take the Sligo job you just have to look at Mick O Dwyer taking Kildare, Laois, Wicklow. Paidi taking Westmeath, Mickiey Moran taking Leitrim, Pete McGrath taking Louth. These are all football men who just love the game.

The first person I would try is Mickey Harte you have to create a vision and sell it too him.

Other potential names
Stephen Roachford (might want to get back into management)
Fergal O Donnell (similar to hyland)
Holmes & Connelly
Malachy O Rourke
Martin McHugh (Donegal)
Kevin McStay
John Maughan (easier commute)
Andy Moran (an unknown) modern

Inside but I can't comment I just know they have management experience
O hara
Rooney
O flarathy

Best of luck and look forward to playing yee next year

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 15/11/2020 00:31:47    2308992

Link

Eamonn O Hara was asked on the Balltalk podcast if he was interested in the Sligo job. The short answer is yes but he did say it would have to suit all parties which is fair enough.

The most interesting thing was he believes Sligo are Top 12 team in Ireland. Personally, he believes the players are there, when you look at our forwards, he said we have potentially the best forwards out there in Connacht, and obviously, defensively we have a lot to work on. But potentially can cause a lot of headaches for a lot of teams but it would take a lot of work. He talks about belief and culture needing to change.

He did allude to the CB if they want to continue the same-old or try a new approach - something different needs to be done. 2-3 year plan. He used the Tyrone 02 to 03 example and aren't we allowed to dream as well he said. He is right we may as well reach for the stars but by God have a plan that gives you a chance. I'd love to hear his plan.

I found it refreshing listening to him. I might not be as optimistic but he has a chance to directly influence this so it is heartening, with that said I do see where he is coming from.

I suppose the CB has to ask themselves who commands the presence that creates belief in the player's minds. If the Players believe they are the best prepared, best coached, have faith in the management team that translates on to the field.

OHara will definitely be interviewed I'd assume.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 16/11/2020 05:47:15    2309761

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "Eamonn O Hara was asked on the Balltalk podcast if he was interested in the Sligo job. The short answer is yes but he did say it would have to suit all parties which is fair enough.

The most interesting thing was he believes Sligo are Top 12 team in Ireland. Personally, he believes the players are there, when you look at our forwards, he said we have potentially the best forwards out there in Connacht, and obviously, defensively we have a lot to work on. But potentially can cause a lot of headaches for a lot of teams but it would take a lot of work. He talks about belief and culture needing to change.

He did allude to the CB if they want to continue the same-old or try a new approach - something different needs to be done. 2-3 year plan. He used the Tyrone 02 to 03 example and aren't we allowed to dream as well he said. He is right we may as well reach for the stars but by God have a plan that gives you a chance. I'd love to hear his plan.

I found it refreshing listening to him. I might not be as optimistic but he has a chance to directly influence this so it is heartening, with that said I do see where he is coming from.

I suppose the CB has to ask themselves who commands the presence that creates belief in the player's minds. If the Players believe they are the best prepared, best coached, have faith in the management team that translates on to the field.

OHara will definitely be interviewed I'd assume."
I'm not a big fan of his personally but it was nice to hear that ambition. As so many have eluded to, why aim so low??

putyourfootunderit (Sligo) - Posts: 53 - 16/11/2020 10:24:27    2309828

Link

I heard Mickey Harte being interviewed on BBC yesterday and he said he wouldn't rule out a role in management again. Logistically Sligo isn't a big drive for him and he may want to try his hand at managing a team the opposite end of the spectrum with less pressure. Sligo should be doing everything they can to get him involved potentially with O Hara who would then take over in a year or 2 on his own. If O Hara is serious about changing the culture then there isn't a better man in Ireland to do that than Harte. Maybe He'd only be interested in an advisor role or something like that. Definitely an Avenue worth exploring. If hyland hadn't stayed on in Leitrim I know I'd be pleading with Leitrim CB to try and do everything possible to get Harte involved.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 16/11/2020 15:53:37    2310169

Link

Replying To republican:  "I like the idea of Fergal O'Donnell although as mentioned we're not exactly the most appetising prospect at the moment. Does anyone know where he is now and if ye think he would be interested? To me it seems like a great opportunity for him as its close to Ros, has an opportunity of beating them and lets be honest the only way is up. We are not a bottom half of div 4 team anyone can see that.

I truly believe we need to tap into our diaspora within Ireland and see what we can find. Anyone reading this who knows of solid county standard players needs to bring it to the attention of the powers that be. We need to seek guys in Dublin, galway, kerry etc who want to play county football and are to our level, I am positive there are plenty. Imagine what a boast of 3/4 really good players would do to that team, it would bring on the like of Murphy, Red, POC... Imagine if we got a huge midfielder who is on the fringe of the kerry panel.. its ugly but the rules are there to be used.

unfortunately I dont think we have the talent in the county of our own."
O'Donnell managed Western Gaels in Roscommon this year, They were beaten in 1/4 final. Managed Killoe in Longford for a few years previous to that without having any luck coming up against a very strong mullinalaghta side . They won the Longford Championship they year after he left. He lives in Boyle so travelling to Sligo would not be an issue

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 607 - 17/11/2020 16:51:16    2310721

Link

O Donnell interviewed last time, it's hard to envision him doing any worse on the results front. But I am not convinced he will put himself forward again. There will be applications in and the CB will evaluate them and select interviewees I presume.

There will be a selection committee which will we can assume have Leonard on it. I'm not sure of his relationship with O Hara but given they are both Tourlestrane men it's fair to assume O Hara is the favorite given he was offered it last time. I have a huge amount of respect for O Hara and I'll be honest I feel his coming of age drove our culture change in the late 90s as he is a born winner. He is inspirational in how he talks about Sligo. As a manager coming from the winning mentality of Tourlestrane his standards are going to be very high. It would be interesting to see who would commit or drop out under him because that shows their character as he will push players hard. O Hara has weaknesses too like everyone but I would say his strengths definitely outweigh them.

Interesting few weeks ahead.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 19/11/2020 02:49:00    2311294

Link

I'm led to believe the players are pushing for Aidan Rooney. The core group of the panel (O'Connor, Gaughan, Cummins Etc) all came through with Rooney. It's interesting to see if a club will nominate him or not.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 19/11/2020 11:40:26    2311354

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "I'm led to believe the players are pushing for Aidan Rooney. The core group of the panel (O'Connor, Gaughan, Cummins Etc) all came through with Rooney. It's interesting to see if a club will nominate him or not."
Rooney got completely shafted with the u21s when Taylor got it and when he was a selector with the seniors. He earned the right to get the u21. Mary's last year impressed me, especially after the Drumcliffe match. Rooney imo has a lot to offer but I don't think given what happened in the last few years that he is an option through no fault of his own.

The Players are in no position to dictate anything. They should just focus on themselves and their attitude/fitness. If they have any self-awareness or self-reflection abilities then I'd doubt if that is true that they are pushing for anyone.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 19/11/2020 20:18:03    2311538

Link

Ray Dempsey will be the next Sligo Manager.

ThePredictor (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 20/11/2020 01:42:34    2311601

Link

A deadline of five days to apply, an advert with two lines and no job specification. Does this not rule out managers and backroom staff of the terms currently involved in the Championship?

The predictor would like to know why such a tight deadline, short advert and no job specification?

ThePredictor (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 20/11/2020 11:48:16    2311660

Link

The predictor, would like to know why did the Executive Committee not seek nominations from the clubs?

The Predictor, belives Ray Dempsey will be the next manager. While he has never managed a Senior Intercounty Team, he has managed Knockmore to victory in the County Championship and did a great job.

Then why appoint a club manager with only one title in the modern era or in fact any club manager. Why not appoint the most successful senior club manager in the history of Sligo GAA in fact in the county Eammon O'Hara.

ThePredictor (Sligo) - Posts: 4 - 20/11/2020 12:10:24    2311668

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I heard Mickey Harte being interviewed on BBC yesterday and he said he wouldn't rule out a role in management again. Logistically Sligo isn't a big drive for him and he may want to try his hand at managing a team the opposite end of the spectrum with less pressure. Sligo should be doing everything they can to get him involved potentially with O Hara who would then take over in a year or 2 on his own. If O Hara is serious about changing the culture then there isn't a better man in Ireland to do that than Harte. Maybe He'd only be interested in an advisor role or something like that. Definitely an Avenue worth exploring. If hyland hadn't stayed on in Leitrim I know I'd be pleading with Leitrim CB to try and do everything possible to get Harte involved."
Liam Kearns would be a really good appointment for Sligo Football.He was unsuccessful after applying for both Roscommon and Galway jobs recently but would bring loads of experience, similar to what Hyland is bringing to Leitrim. He would probably have got the Galway job only that he was up against Padraic Joyce.Sligo man Kevin Johnson has also built a big reputation here in Galway having coached different teams to Galway club finals and managed Balintubber to 2 in a row Mayo titles.

philip3 (Galway) - Posts: 196 - 20/11/2020 16:36:44    2311768

Link

Clubs were asked to nominate for the position of senior manager. Rooney blew a Connacht Minor Title and left Co Seniors as a selector under a cloud also so I don't expect he will get it. O Hara is the best candidate and I would like him to take it on. I don't think it will happen though. He will burst the bank with his demands and at the moment the well is dry. However there is a new treasurer and possibly a new chair on the horizon so I live in hope

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 812 - 20/11/2020 16:40:17    2311770

Link

Replying To philip3:  "Liam Kearns would be a really good appointment for Sligo Football.He was unsuccessful after applying for both Roscommon and Galway jobs recently but would bring loads of experience, similar to what Hyland is bringing to Leitrim. He would probably have got the Galway job only that he was up against Padraic Joyce.Sligo man Kevin Johnson has also built a big reputation here in Galway having coached different teams to Galway club finals and managed Balintubber to 2 in a row Mayo titles."
Liam Kearns has already agreed to stay on next year with Roscommon club Clann Na nGeal. But a county job would probably change his mind.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 607 - 21/11/2020 14:01:08    2311995

Link

I think Dempsey would be a great appointment. One of a few I would like for Roscommon to take when Cunningham goes. Knockmore were very well set up this year and were a surprise champion in Mayo.

sourmilk93 (Roscommon) - Posts: 607 - 21/11/2020 14:03:13    2311999

Link

Seen on Twitter that Martin Mchugh is in for the Sligo Job, I presume Mark will be involved as a coach. For me, Martin has been out of the game for too long imo so not much to gauge him on although Mark would help with that.

It's interesting given O Hara was given the job previously that to outsiders it could act as a deterrent to putting their name forward, thinking it's a done deal. I hope not. O Hara being an option puts the selection committee under pressure to deliver because if it's not him it would want to be a very good candidate. I don't think Sligo people have much patience left with regards to the Managerial selections. The CB better at least have the courtesy to get back to all applications this time. Some interesting names being mentioned here.

Managers can make a big difference and this is a massive decision to get right given the teams and players coming through.

Hard to believe 2 teams in Division 3 in 2021 are provincial champions. 2 teams that got relegated won their province.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 23/11/2020 05:18:43    2313617

Link

Why do you think Mark is involved?

Martin managed Kilcar to a County Final in 2016. Managed IT Sligo and Jordanstown at different stages over the last 5/6 years.

His punditry has also kept his eye in the game over the last number of years. You only have to listen to him to hear how sharp he is.

Very exciting to see his name mentioned.

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 23/11/2020 12:35:05    2313870

Link

Mickey Harte to Louth, very hard to believe. Did we miss a trick again?

Sligonian, Mark McHugh would do a job for us on the field never mind the sideline.

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 23/11/2020 21:01:17    2314300

Link

I was thinking the same thing Republican. Mark could definitely do a job for us on the field. I am not sold on Martin McHughs experience that you mention newsligofan. He would have to do a very strong interview to convince me otherwise. I think it's obvious why I think Mark would be involved.

Martinjoe and Bawner both mentioned Mickey Harte. His going to Louth proves that we could of course have got him. We are closer geographically. Both in the same division. We have more potential and a better chance of provinicial silverware. Now they get 3 years of development under his experience. I would have sounded him out and moved mountains to get him if I was on the selection committee.

I remember when Taylor got the job and some of the names I mentioned you would get ridiculed and now again you would have people thinking no chance. Then you look at Hyland to Leitrim and now Harte to Louth and you realise who the limited thinkers are.

This is clear evidence of the lack of ambition and vision within Sligo GAA and why we need change, not just the manager. We keep missing opportunities. What could have been? Some pressure on Sligo now. Can't go low that's for sure.

All bets are off for me now, go for McGuinness or Malachy. Sound them out at the very least.

Fair play to Louth it must be said.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 23/11/2020 22:09:19    2314363

Link