Kerry Forum

Kerry V Galway

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To MartinEgan:  "Throughly enjoyed that. Thought Galway were unlucky to be fair and the black card in the final 10 minutes didn't help their cause either.

One question, where was Sean O'Shea tonight?

Also thanks to Hermit for providing a good list of pubs to visit in Tralee. Have done quite a few of his recommendations and am now in Kirby Brogans.

Going to finish the night at the Blasket."
Glad you enjoyed your night out in Tralee Martin.
There was a good crowd of Galwegians walking the streets yesterday.
Stayed in Bailey's Corner myself for most of the night, they've done a nice job extending out the front of it.
The head's a but sore today, shouldn't have gone out to watch the rugby first ;(

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 02/02/2020 13:04:59    2264435

Link

Great to get the first win of the new year even if we were very very fortunate.
But as I said last night, the great trait of this Kerry team under PK is that they keep playing and keep fighting until the very end. It's a stark contrast to how we used fade out towards the end of matches under Fitzmaurice.

Was late getting up to it because I was watching the rugby, the crowd was huge, probably as much as the Dublin game last year. Never seen the terrace so packed, first time I ever had to stand in the bit of grass next to the stand.

Galway look very good under Joyce, some lovely forward play and in truth they could have been in for a couple of more goals but fair play to Shane Ryan he made some great last ditch saves.

Mike Burns had a great game, thought SOB played well too. Thought JOD was on fire in the first half, I wonder was it just a tactical switch at half time to drag him off? Clifford seemed to be less in the game as it went on.
Geaney was the hero in the end, but he still looks to be in patchy form.
Thought Kearney did very well, Jack Barry less effective which is understandable.

The switch to bring on Tommy Walsh just didn't work. In fact Kerry don't seem to be using this advanced mark at all. Geaney seemed to get one but either he didn't call it properly or the ref didn't see it.

Why oh why is Shane Ryan being brought up to take the long range frees when Seanie is absent. It's a waste of time. For the first one James seemed happy to take it but the sideline seemed to tell him to leave it go.
Surely to God we have other free taker options than Shane.

On that point where was Seanie and Morely, has anyone heard anything?

The big issue is the backs, I appreciate we didn't have Morely and also that Crowley and Sherwood will make a difference when they appear BUT for me they're just not tigerish enough, not enough steel in the lads.

To be honest what we need is a few dirty f*ckers in there, every great Kerry side had them, the Dubs have an abundance of them. And while I hope we don' have to be as nasty and cynical as Dublin are, we still need fellas in there that are prepared to put their body on the line and inflict a bit of pain!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 02/02/2020 13:40:29    2264441

Link

We were very lucky to win that last night. Galway had 4 or 5 goal chances in the first half and we're the better team for most of the 2nd half. They are a good team and are a lot better this year under Joyce but we would have beaten them fairly comfortably if we didn't make so many simple silly mistakes. We missed Morley and Sean O'Shea massively. The amount of goal chances we again conceded is a worry but I couldn't understand why management didn't move Gavin Crowley off Shane Walsh. Crowley isn't a man marker in the full back line and is much better in the half back line. I thought Foley who had an excellent game would have done better on him. Foley has really developed into a really solid defender which is great to see and will be very important.

Shane Ryan's kickouts were mostly very good and he made a few good saves. I thought Graham O'Sullivan was good in the full back line and Liam Kearney impressed at midfield, both have great potential. Paul Murphy was once again very good while Gavin White was ok. He won a good few kickouts but his man Brannigan scored 2 or 3 points. Enright was dodgy enough I thought. Gavin O'Brien was disappointing and taken off before half time. He looked very low on confidence and wasn't working hard enough when we weren't in possession. I don't think he'll start the next game and is looking like he mightn't be up to this level. Michael Burns put in a great display, he is playing with great hunger at the moment. I had him written off with the presence of Paudie Clifford and Moynihan but he has put himself back in the picture. Some of our attacking play in the first half was sublime and was all down to the 3 boys inside. O'Donoghue was class again, hopefully he's not injured. Clifford mixed the sublime with the poor as he made a lot more mistakes than normal as I think he was trying to do too much in the absence of Sean O'Shea. But he was still excellent it's just he has set his standards extraordinarily high. Tommy was a mixed bag but we really need to use him correctly. Keep him inside and give him ball that he can run into.

Overall it's great to win a a tight game especially with a comeback. It definitely wasn't our best display but that's fine especially with a lot of players to come back. Finally you just can't beat Saturday night in Tralee for a league game. It's a pity that last night was the only one we'll have this year.

Kerry15 (Kerry) - Posts: 567 - 02/02/2020 13:56:24    2264444

Link

Replying To Kerry15:  "We were very lucky to win that last night. Galway had 4 or 5 goal chances in the first half and we're the better team for most of the 2nd half. They are a good team and are a lot better this year under Joyce but we would have beaten them fairly comfortably if we didn't make so many simple silly mistakes. We missed Morley and Sean O'Shea massively. The amount of goal chances we again conceded is a worry but I couldn't understand why management didn't move Gavin Crowley off Shane Walsh. Crowley isn't a man marker in the full back line and is much better in the half back line. I thought Foley who had an excellent game would have done better on him. Foley has really developed into a really solid defender which is great to see and will be very important.

Shane Ryan's kickouts were mostly very good and he made a few good saves. I thought Graham O'Sullivan was good in the full back line and Liam Kearney impressed at midfield, both have great potential. Paul Murphy was once again very good while Gavin White was ok. He won a good few kickouts but his man Brannigan scored 2 or 3 points. Enright was dodgy enough I thought. Gavin O'Brien was disappointing and taken off before half time. He looked very low on confidence and wasn't working hard enough when we weren't in possession. I don't think he'll start the next game and is looking like he mightn't be up to this level. Michael Burns put in a great display, he is playing with great hunger at the moment. I had him written off with the presence of Paudie Clifford and Moynihan but he has put himself back in the picture. Some of our attacking play in the first half was sublime and was all down to the 3 boys inside. O'Donoghue was class again, hopefully he's not injured. Clifford mixed the sublime with the poor as he made a lot more mistakes than normal as I think he was trying to do too much in the absence of Sean O'Shea. But he was still excellent it's just he has set his standards extraordinarily high. Tommy was a mixed bag but we really need to use him correctly. Keep him inside and give him ball that he can run into.

Overall it's great to win a a tight game especially with a comeback. It definitely wasn't our best display but that's fine especially with a lot of players to come back. Finally you just can't beat Saturday night in Tralee for a league game. It's a pity that last night was the only one we'll have this year."
Yep Tralee for spring and Killarney for the summer.
I think it's a bit silly putting on the likes of Meath at midday on Sunday in Killarney when 5-7,000 there will look like the place is deserted.
If the Dubs get to have the vast majority of their matches put on on Saturday nights why can't we?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 02/02/2020 14:38:31    2264453

Link

Are we not playing Donegal in tralee lads? I thought we were.

Also I don't think JOD is injured, I read an article a few weeks back where he explained that he has to pace himself now, we'll probably never be able to get more than 35 to 50 mins out of him from now on.

But if he can give us 40 min flat out every Sunday then how bad.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11452 - 02/02/2020 16:28:25    2264486

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Are we not playing Donegal in tralee lads? I thought we were.

Also I don't think JOD is injured, I read an article a few weeks back where he explained that he has to pace himself now, we'll probably never be able to get more than 35 to 50 mins out of him from now on.

But if he can give us 40 min flat out every Sunday then how bad."
Donegal is the last game so it's on Sunday which I assume means it will be in Fitzgeralds

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 02/02/2020 16:40:31    2264491

Link

Yesterday's programme has it listed for Killarney at 1pm

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4806 - 02/02/2020 17:15:48    2264513

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Yesterday's programme has it listed for Killarney at 1pm"
That's not very smart lads taking Donegal to killarney considering we could be playing them there in the super 8s, the less they know about killarney the better,

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11452 - 02/02/2020 18:43:52    2264565

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "That's not very smart lads taking Donegal to killarney considering we could be playing them there in the super 8s, the less they know about killarney the better,"
Sorry lads.... Meath in KILLARNEY - Donegal game in Tralee....

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4806 - 02/02/2020 18:56:51    2264577

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Glad you enjoyed your night out in Tralee Martin.
There was a good crowd of Galwegians walking the streets yesterday.
Stayed in Bailey's Corner myself for most of the night, they've done a nice job extending out the front of it.
The head's a but sore today, shouldn't have gone out to watch the rugby first ;("
Ah sucks thanks to the red thumbs for letting me know that they didn't like the idea of me suffering through an old hangover today.
Rest assured after a hearty dinner and plenty of water, I've managed to come out the other side.
Your concern is touching though, thanks again ;)

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 03/02/2020 00:20:01    2264715

Link

Morning lads, well we half stole that one, from the outset I have to say, for League games regardless of the opposition I think a Saturday under lights is unbeatable. The crowd, weather and atmosphere was unreal last Saturday night. Really enjoyable occasion. One thing I would suggest though, there was a fairly high profile Schools game on last Saturday, why not have it as a curtain raiser.

But back to matters on the field, we lined out without two key players. I think we as supporters caught a glimpse of what Seanie Shea is worth to Kerry Saturday night. Confusion regarding 45's and long range frees, There was at least 6 that I counted that on a given match day, considering the form, I'd have expected at least 4 if not 5 points from the Kenmare Man's boot. That's excluding general play, passing and shooting. We really missed his work rate, at times on Saturday there was no outlet, and more importantly the unseen work, the tackle and tracking, Burns played ok but three times in the second half he was sidestepped and left for dead by a Galway player. That's not good enough at inter county level

On Saturday nights team, the majority of the defenders mixed the good with the bad, example Enright intercepted a lot of ball but gave away two sloppy hand passes, Gavin Crowley had his hands full with Walsh but who wouldn't, however he was afforded little assistance by his colleagues, Foley I though had a good outing as had Graham Sullivan. This might sound premature but I would have left Foley on Walsh from the start or moved Graham in to Full back. Murphy was our best defender hands down. I'm left scratching my head regarding White. He picked a few marks and was always available for kick outs and outlet. But as a defender way way too loose. Defending is his primary function. We have enough forwards. I genuinely think, and this may get a reaction, I think White may struggle for a starting place come dry sod. Up front the movement and link play of DC, Geaney and James was  very impressive, at stages in the second half the supply dried and we tired but if fit these three will remain a handful. Outside Stephen has some engine and his turnover rate must be through the roof, Burns while deputising for Seanie is not a forty yard man, he invariably runs into the tackle and needs to look up and pass to a man in a better position, granted he scored 0-02 and could have had a goal but there is a selfish streak about him. He could do with taking a leaf from DC's book in this regard. It's the collective not the solitary. Gavin O'Brien was ineffective and think he has plateaued. He was lost at stages in front of me on Saturday and wasn't taking directives when Tommy Griffin was instructing. I wasn't surprised he was called ashore. In saying that his replacement Diarmuid O'Conner wasn't much of an improvement, I would rather see Moynihan in for more game time.

Its obvious PK is considering the long road ahead regarding players and game management, going by his post-match comments, Seanie was rested as he had a virus, Tadgh has a slight niggle and bother are already confirmed as available for Omagh. James didn't have a knock and was being eased back into intercounty. Correct man management, well done PK and Co.

What's most encouraging is the never panic attitude last Saturday, with time up were 3 down, but still pulled from the bag, Kilian has the knack of getting key scores for us already, I'd love to see more game time in him. As for Tommy, he's winning ball easily, however he's winning it kicked in direct, so collects with his back to goals while sprinting away from the goals.. this is ineffective. I think Tommy's best opiton of off the bench.

Very impressed with Kearney, he'd one spectacular mark, he need to up the work rate and match Jack Barry, however he's doing his reputation no harm, he's the same gatch as Sheehan, he's a powerful unit.

Seeing as Monaghan took the points yesterday, pressure will mount on Tyrone to win the home game, a win here would put a nicer complexion on the table but nothing easily is ever gained in Tyrone. As all the weekend games proved, a black card in either direction can have serious consequence on a result.

Team wise, I'd imagine Morley will resume but I'd retain Graham, I'd persist and endorse same centre field pairing, up front, Seanie goes back to the forty, if James is fit he starts, if not Spillane in as a straight swop, Think O'Brien will struggle, could see Diarmuid O'Connor or Moynihan on the wing

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4806 - 03/02/2020 09:33:34    2264742

Link

Morning lads, well we half stole that one, from the outset I have to say, for League games regardless of the opposition I think a Saturday under lights is unbeatable. The crowd, weather and atmosphere was unreal last Saturday night. Really enjoyable occasion. One thing I would suggest though, there was a fairly high profile Schools game on last Saturday, why not have it as a curtain raiser.

But back to matters on the field, we lined out without two key players. I think we as supporters caught a glimpse of what Seanie Shea is worth to Kerry Saturday night. Confusion regarding 45's and long range frees, There was at least 6 that I counted that on a given match day, considering the form, I'd have expected at least 4 if not 5 points from the Kenmare Man's boot. That's excluding general play, passing and shooting. We really missed his work rate, at times on Saturday there was no outlet, and more importantly the unseen work, the tackle and tracking, Burns played ok but three times in the second half he was sidestepped and left for dead by a Galway player. That's not good enough at inter county level

On Saturday nights team, the majority of the defenders mixed the good with the bad, example Enright intercepted a lot of ball but gave away two sloppy hand passes, Gavin Crowley had his hands full with Walsh but who wouldn't, however he was afforded little assistance by his colleagues, Foley I though had a good outing as had Graham Sullivan. This might sound premature but I would have left Foley on Walsh from the start or moved Graham in to Full back. Murphy was our best defender hands down. I'm left scratching my head regarding White. He picked a few marks and was always available for kick outs and outlet. But as a defender way way too loose. Defending is his primary function. We have enough forwards. I genuinely think, and this may get a reaction, I think White may struggle for a starting place come dry sod. Up front the movement and link play of DC, Geaney and James was  very impressive, at stages in the second half the supply dried and we tired but if fit these three will remain a handful. Outside Stephen has some engine and his turnover rate must be through the roof, Burns while deputising for Seanie is not a forty yard man, he invariably runs into the tackle and needs to look up and pass to a man in a better position, granted he scored 0-02 and could have had a goal but there is a selfish streak about him. He could do with taking a leaf from DC's book in this regard. It's the collective not the solitary. Gavin O'Brien was ineffective and think he has plateaued. He was lost at stages in front of me on Saturday and wasn't taking directives when Tommy Griffin was instructing. I wasn't surprised he was called ashore. In saying that his replacement Diarmuid O'Conner wasn't much of an improvement, I would rather see Moynihan in for more game time.

Its obvious PK is considering the long road ahead regarding players and game management, going by his post-match comments, Seanie was rested as he had a virus, Tadgh has a slight niggle and bother are already confirmed as available for Omagh. James didn't have a knock and was being eased back into intercounty. Correct man management, well done PK and Co.

What's most encouraging is the never panic attitude last Saturday, with time up were 3 down, but still pulled from the bag, Kilian has the knack of getting key scores for us already, I'd love to see more game time in him. As for Tommy, he's winning ball easily, however he's winning it kicked in direct, so collects with his back to goals while sprinting away from the goals.. this is ineffective. I think Tommy's best opiton of off the bench.

Very impressed with Kearney, he'd one spectacular mark, he need to up the work rate and match Jack Barry, however he's doing his reputation no harm, he's the same gatch as Sheehan, he's a powerful unit.

Seeing as Monaghan took the points yesterday, pressure will mount on Tyrone to win the home game, a win here would put a nicer complexion on the table but nothing easily is ever gained in Tyrone. As all the weekend games proved, a black card in either direction can have serious consequence on a result.

Team wise, I'd imagine Morley will resume but I'd retain Graham, I'd persist and endorse same centre field pairing, up front, Seanie goes back to the forty, if James is fit he starts, if not Spillane in as a straight swop, Think O'Brien will struggle, could see Diarmuid O'Connor or Moynihan on the wing

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4806 - 03/02/2020 09:37:43    2264744

Link

Replying To Horsebox77:  "Morning lads, well we half stole that one, from the outset I have to say, for League games regardless of the opposition I think a Saturday under lights is unbeatable. The crowd, weather and atmosphere was unreal last Saturday night. Really enjoyable occasion. One thing I would suggest though, there was a fairly high profile Schools game on last Saturday, why not have it as a curtain raiser.

Team wise, I'd imagine Morley will resume but I'd retain Graham, I'd persist and endorse same centre field pairing, up front, Seanie goes back to the forty, if James is fit he starts, if not Spillane in as a straight swop, Think O'Brien will struggle, could see Diarmuid O'Connor or Moynihan on the wing"
I agree with all of that horse, especially about burns and I mentioned it in my own post on sat night, now either he doesn't have the vision to see the likes of Clifford Geaney and others making the runs or he's just too selfish, either way that's not good enough at this level, also what was he thinking going for a goal from that angle when it was never on, all he had to do was punch it over the bar.

Hopefully we'll have a good support in omagh on Sunday.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11452 - 03/02/2020 10:31:39    2264759

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I agree with all of that horse, especially about burns and I mentioned it in my own post on sat night, now either he doesn't have the vision to see the likes of Clifford Geaney and others making the runs or he's just too selfish, either way that's not good enough at this level, also what was he thinking going for a goal from that angle when it was never on, all he had to do was punch it over the bar.

Hopefully we'll have a good support in omagh on Sunday."
It's TG4 for me, work has me rooted.

Horsebox77 (Kerry) - Posts: 4806 - 03/02/2020 11:07:17    2264777

Link

Going to try my best to free up a few hours to make the trip to Omagh, it's ages since I was up there for a game.
Kingdomboy I assume you've traveled up there in the past, what's parking like, where would you recommend leaving the car?

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 03/02/2020 13:34:27    2264846

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Going to try my best to free up a few hours to make the trip to Omagh, it's ages since I was up there for a game.
Kingdomboy I assume you've traveled up there in the past, what's parking like, where would you recommend leaving the car?"
The hermit if you could be in omagh an hour or 2 before the game you could park at the silver birch Hotel and go in have a bite to eat and healy park is less than a 10 min walk then . The kerry supporters are staying there Saturday night but we're thinking of booking into the midway in portlaoise Saturday night and shorten the journey for Sunday.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11452 - 03/02/2020 13:57:07    2264856

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "The hermit if you could be in omagh an hour or 2 before the game you could park at the silver birch Hotel and go in have a bite to eat and healy park is less than a 10 min walk then . The kerry supporters are staying there Saturday night but we're thinking of booking into the midway in portlaoise Saturday night and shorten the journey for Sunday."
Sound man Kingdomboy, appreciate the advice. It will be the first time I've driven to a game up there.

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 5721 - 03/02/2020 14:53:01    2264876

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Sound man Kingdomboy, appreciate the advice. It will be the first time I've driven to a game up there."
Not a bother, it's very straight forward, traffic will be slow after but you'd expect that.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 11452 - 03/02/2020 15:11:07    2264882

Link

Lads I'm going to Belfast on Friday too see family and getting a bus to omagh on Sunday morning any idea how far from bus station to that hotel your talking about or how far to healy park walking

traleegerry (Kerry) - Posts: 602 - 04/02/2020 19:02:14    2265181

Link

Replying To traleegerry:  "Lads I'm going to Belfast on Friday too see family and getting a bus to omagh on Sunday morning any idea how far from bus station to that hotel your talking about or how far to healy park walking"
I think it's about a five/seven minute walk from the bus station to the Silver Birch Hotel depending how fast you walk.

MartinEgan (UK) - Posts: 20 - 04/02/2020 19:39:48    2265199

Link