Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Corofin - Salthill were lucky to make it through the group

Moycullen - Not as clear cut as the first Game but James are inconsistent and Moycullen should have too much for them

MM - this is difficult, as MM have been unspectacular while Killaninn have shown they are capable of a top performance. This is a 50/50 but I will go with MM

Tuam - not as 50/50, Barna could cause an upset. Tuam have had two good wins on the bounce so it will be interesting.

Really only two of the QFs are contests

OffensiveMark (Galway) - Posts: 8 - 01/09/2020 18:20:33    2290115

Link

Barna don't have any county panelist currently. I think young Kennedy was on an FBD panel a few years back.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 171 - 01/09/2020 18:31:03    2290119

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "Barna don't have any county panelist currently. I think young Kennedy was on an FBD panel a few years back."
Yeah a few FBD players. Keane the goalkeeper, Kennedy, Jason Lyons. A few others too.

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 749 - 01/09/2020 23:40:12    2290146

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "Yeah a few FBD players. Keane the goalkeeper, Kennedy, Jason Lyons. A few others too."
Yes, none of them were anywhere near good enough for IC level, if we are being honest.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 02/09/2020 09:44:23    2290156

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "As regards Corofin s dominance it most certainly is not good for club development. Dress it up anyway you wish.

If MB were without Denver and a midfielder whoever's he is for the group matches that would explain there heavy beatings. Particularly Denver as he apparently is there leader by all accounts and having him back for the playoffs that should see them home and hosed."
It's up to to other Clubs to reach Corofins Bar.
Annaghdown, M/M & Tuam nearly did it over the past 4/5 years.
You can't ask for more development than that. Only a matter of time when they are beaten, I feel this is the year, Tuam to win it out :)

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 02/09/2020 10:04:03    2290160

Link

Tuam, Mountbellew, Corofin & Moycullen last 4.

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 02/09/2020 10:06:52    2290161

Link

Corofin to win with plenty to spare, Mountbellew to win a tight contest, Moycullen will have too much for James' and i think Barna will carry on their great form and cause an upset!

Santysam (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 02/09/2020 12:18:32    2290182

Link

Corofin and moycullen by 10+
Other games will be tight

galway6 (Galway) - Posts: 42 - 02/09/2020 14:01:41    2290200

Link

Replying To fryingpan:  "Moycullen, MM, Corofin and Tuam to progress. Salthill and James haven't got a chance"
James' have more than a chance. Whatever about Salthill's chances James' have the calmest player in the county in Paul Conroy. I agree they are inconsistent but have been impressive in disposing of Milltown and Oughterard. Moycullen will be happy with any winning margin in that one.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1751 - 02/09/2020 18:58:30    2290265

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "James' have more than a chance. Whatever about Salthill's chances James' have the calmest player in the county in Paul Conroy. I agree they are inconsistent but have been impressive in disposing of Milltown and Oughterard. Moycullen will be happy with any winning margin in that one."
Fair enough, conroy has been in great form all year. best club player this year also, bt still feel like Moycullen will win by more than 6/7 points.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 02/09/2020 20:41:25    2290281

Link

Replying To fryingpan:  "Fair enough, conroy has been in great form all year. best club player this year also, bt still feel like Moycullen will win by more than 6/7 points."
How have you come to see him as the best club player of the year, dessie Connelly, Micheal Lundy, Rob finnerty to name but a few all performing way better. Tom Curran barna going way better than Conroy.
Moycullen will hammer them too much quality on all lines

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 02/09/2020 21:13:08    2290288

Link

Replying To mise87:  "How have you come to see him as the best club player of the year, dessie Connelly, Micheal Lundy, Rob finnerty to name but a few all performing way better. Tom Curran barna going way better than Conroy.
Moycullen will hammer them too much quality on all lines"
Should have added in my opinion of course to avoid people getting triggered, I know if I could pick one player this year to play for my own club I would have conroy. Think james are the weakest team left in the competition. Have already said they will be well beaten.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 03/09/2020 07:57:39    2290317

Link

Hearing that Spiddal have put an appeal in from the Salthill match on the basis the ref had the score wrong. I believ Spiddal were told they were a point down when in fact game was level & as a result instead of tapping over free to go a point ahead they went for goal as a draw was no good. Could this delay championship? Cant see Spiddal being successful & they should look in mirror were 6 points up against 14 men of salthill & could not get the win. They only scored one point in 2nd half. Sour grapes in my opinion.

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 211 - 03/09/2020 09:49:25    2290326

Link

Spiddal have a strong case here, if shoe was on other foot with Salthill there would be uproar...

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 107 - 03/09/2020 10:24:47    2290329

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "Barna don't have any county panelist currently. I think young Kennedy was on an FBD panel a few years back."
I played against a Paddy Naughton also a good few years back who was in and around Galway panel.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 03/09/2020 10:37:03    2290334

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "Hearing that Spiddal have put an appeal in from the Salthill match on the basis the ref had the score wrong. I believ Spiddal were told they were a point down when in fact game was level & as a result instead of tapping over free to go a point ahead they went for goal as a draw was no good. Could this delay championship? Cant see Spiddal being successful & they should look in mirror were 6 points up against 14 men of salthill & could not get the win. They only scored one point in 2nd half. Sour grapes in my opinion."
Whether they were 6 points or 20 points up at any stage is irrelevant. That's equivalent to the argument that Louth could have no complaints about the Joe Sheridan 'goal', as they should have put Meath away earlier. That's all part of the flow of a game, and Salthill were very good in the second half.
There's no excuse for a team being told the incorrect score, when it impacts what they need to do at the end of the game. An Spidéal had an easy free at the end, but thought they had to go for goal as they needed the win, after being told they were a point down.
Interestingly, Galway Bay's commentary had it as a draw at the time.
Scorekeeping is a basic fundamental of the game. It's even more critical in situations like this.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 955 - 03/09/2020 10:38:45    2290337

Link

What are Spiddal hoping for? Replay the game? Will only delay championship cant see board allowing this. Also if Spiddal did win it would be Michaels who would have gotten sucked into relegation battle. They would have stopped training as their year is over cant see it happening. Was there a discrepancy over the score?

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 211 - 03/09/2020 10:50:05    2290341

Link

Replying To cavan.galway:  "Spiddal have a strong case here, if shoe was on other foot with Salthill there would be uproar..."
yeah all of Galway football would be up in arms that the city slickers got done lol

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 331 - 03/09/2020 11:04:34    2290346

Link

Don't think it should be a case of, oh its an inconvenience or it delays the year. If they were told that they were a point down instead of drawing the game and it could potentially mean they go back down to Intermediate, it is certainly worth a look and you can't say oh they should have won blah blah nonsense.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 236 - 03/09/2020 11:24:30    2290349

Link

Having the score right is hugely important & surely the refs most important job I accept that. What Im saying is do I think this complaint will go anywhere NO. Also raises Q why was it not challenged by mentors to linesmen when the scoreboard was incorrect? Does anyone know when case will be heard surely needs be ASAP? Also Co board will quash it & will depend how far spiddal want to go with it. Again they should man up concentrate on relegation. 2 games if they are good enough they will get out of it regardeless of this salthill games & what ifs of score.

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 211 - 03/09/2020 12:01:16    2290355

Link