Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To panamasam:  "I read the article too. Why not? But he has to get over his injury issues and find his form. Given his age profile time is not on his side. Whether he does make it or not there is no denying his commitment and desire. For that alone I hope he gets another opportunity. This when some don't wanna commit cause they got to travel an hour to training."
That's nonsense

An hour travelling to training is not issue for commitment

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1176 - 22/04/2020 22:19:10    2276538

Link

With the reality setting in that there will be no county football in 2020 how do we think it will affect Donegal?
I can only think of Neil McGee who might consider calling it a day. But knowing him and the sheer bloody love he has of it all he'll hardly want to walk away without having given it one last blast. Who knows - a year without competitive action might actually be a good thing where himself, Murphy and McGrath are concerned. Lads that have been at it hard for well over a decade now.

The lads that had injuries will obviously have had ample time to recover too. Gallen, McMenamin, Gillespie etc. Might a year without football reignite Odhran MacNiallais appetite for county football again? Possibly not, and perhaps we're all as well off just to leave him be and let him enjoy his club football at least. But no harm in a bit of speculation.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 23/04/2020 10:23:39    2276554

Link

Replying To eunans4ever:  "That's nonsense

An hour travelling to training is not issue for commitment"
Not nonsense at all and I am sure some know who I am talking about. But as per trust you to come in with your usual sour rhetoric and little in anything interesting.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 23/04/2020 14:44:24    2276574

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "With the reality setting in that there will be no county football in 2020 how do we think it will affect Donegal?
I can only think of Neil McGee who might consider calling it a day. But knowing him and the sheer bloody love he has of it all he'll hardly want to walk away without having given it one last blast. Who knows - a year without competitive action might actually be a good thing where himself, Murphy and McGrath are concerned. Lads that have been at it hard for well over a decade now.

The lads that had injuries will obviously have had ample time to recover too. Gallen, McMenamin, Gillespie etc. Might a year without football reignite Odhran MacNiallais appetite for county football again? Possibly not, and perhaps we're all as well off just to leave him be and let him enjoy his club football at least. But no harm in a bit of speculation."
MacNiallais was in London going down that route after doing the states. Might have returned as presume he was there on a pay to play basis. Don't see him coming back anytime soon.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 23/04/2020 14:47:40    2276575

Link

27th April and nothing decisive from the GAA since restrictions were first announced 6 or 7 weeks ago.

This is not a professional sport, players are not being paid 20k a week to sit at home and keep training.

Players have lives, exams, employment and businesses to rebuild and we have a nonsense of them out running roads daily and submitting data to County Coaches etc for a Championship that IMO will not take place in 2020.

Have some respect for these players and give them clarity- call the season off.

I listened to our captain on a facebook interview last week saying that in his heart of hearts he believes we will have a championship this summer? There is not a single event in this county, stated to go ahead before September that has not been called off. Concerts, Festivals etc. Id love to be as optimistic as him but i cant see it happening.

Whilst Professional soccer has the capacity to go behind closed doors and still have income streams from massive TV contracts, the All Ireland simply wont be going behind closed doors as its primary financial driver is not TV Money, its money at gate/tickets.

It is absolutely off the wall to imagine 20k people in McHale or McCool Park in August/September when these places cant even provide spectators with running warm water to wash hands nor enough basic toilet facilities last summer!!

They would be covid19 breeding grounds.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 27/04/2020 11:05:35    2276824

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "27th April and nothing decisive from the GAA since restrictions were first announced 6 or 7 weeks ago.

This is not a professional sport, players are not being paid 20k a week to sit at home and keep training.

Players have lives, exams, employment and businesses to rebuild and we have a nonsense of them out running roads daily and submitting data to County Coaches etc for a Championship that IMO will not take place in 2020.

Have some respect for these players and give them clarity- call the season off.

I listened to our captain on a facebook interview last week saying that in his heart of hearts he believes we will have a championship this summer? There is not a single event in this county, stated to go ahead before September that has not been called off. Concerts, Festivals etc. Id love to be as optimistic as him but i cant see it happening.

Whilst Professional soccer has the capacity to go behind closed doors and still have income streams from massive TV contracts, the All Ireland simply wont be going behind closed doors as its primary financial driver is not TV Money, its money at gate/tickets.

It is absolutely off the wall to imagine 20k people in McHale or McCool Park in August/September when these places cant even provide spectators with running warm water to wash hands nor enough basic toilet facilities last summer!!

They would be covid19 breeding grounds."
As I said before ,there will be no Gaelic football ,till a Vaccine is found for this Virus no matter what they say as no insurer will compensate ,for the spread of this Virus ,Go and ask which insurer will take on that responsibility ,as u r not talking about one player or indeed a number of players.My opinion and I hope I'm wrong .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 27/04/2020 14:20:50    2276840

Link

There's talk of a championship running into next year. That would be interesting.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 28/04/2020 09:24:08    2276889

Link

First bit of sense talked by a ranked GAA official

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0504/1136450-connacht-gaa-chief-time-to-say-goodbye-to-2020-games/

Was absolutely ridiculous for Varadkar, who wouldnt know the shape of a ball, to moot or speculate or intimate it possible for the Championship still happening in 2020 on the Late Late. Political Point scoring.

About One Million a year it costs to run the top counties, barely achievable at the best of times through gate money, sponsorship and donations.

Whos is going to make up the shortfall in gate money for a behind closed doors championship which is not even a starter to begin with.

It would be a surefire way to bankrupt every county board outside of Dublin.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 05/05/2020 12:23:02    2277537

Link

As the weeks pass by it is looking less likely we will have any football this year. The only possibility for county games would be behind closed doors but that is even fraught with danger. What happens if a player or official is tested positive, both teams would be in a two week quarantine. Its very tough on the players, training hard all winter and spring and no games. Would the players prefer to scrap the championship or play behind closed doors? We can't put players or officials in danger just because we want to see some football.

Politicians are under pressure to give detailed plans of when things are going to open again but this is probably impossible as nobody really knows how the virus will spread with relaxed restrictions. We all want certainty but that just isn't possible.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 06/05/2020 10:25:37    2277615

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "As the weeks pass by it is looking less likely we will have any football this year. The only possibility for county games would be behind closed doors but that is even fraught with danger. What happens if a player or official is tested positive, both teams would be in a two week quarantine. Its very tough on the players, training hard all winter and spring and no games. Would the players prefer to scrap the championship or play behind closed doors? We can't put players or officials in danger just because we want to see some football.

Politicians are under pressure to give detailed plans of when things are going to open again but this is probably impossible as nobody really knows how the virus will spread with relaxed restrictions. We all want certainty but that just isn't possible."
One thing we were assured the GAA would do is start out bullish and then provide mixed messages.

I dont really understand what they are waiting for, there is no vaccine and until such time as there is, whilst total lockdown will be lifted, social distancing and maximum caution are not going to disappear. They are going to be features of day to day life. We are not going to live this way 95% of the week and then through caution to the wind on a Sunday.

The Premier League might be able to spending millions on testing, cocoon squads of players for weeks on end to get games played behind closed doors at neutral venues. But this is not possible in GAA, players live among their families and the game itself cannot run on thin air, its primary driver is not Skys billions, its gate money. No Gate = No game at county level such is the cost involved in prepping a squad.

Whilst the club game may be able to continue without big crowds, 30 men coming together to train 2 or 3 times a week then go and play 15 other men from a different part of the county with all returning back to their homes and families at the end of it with little or no testing requires no further explanation for why this is not viable at this time.

Make the call, act early, cancel the entire season and give people certainty to get on with the other challenges associated with this outbreak.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 08/05/2020 10:26:12    2277749

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "One thing we were assured the GAA would do is start out bullish and then provide mixed messages.

I dont really understand what they are waiting for, there is no vaccine and until such time as there is, whilst total lockdown will be lifted, social distancing and maximum caution are not going to disappear. They are going to be features of day to day life. We are not going to live this way 95% of the week and then through caution to the wind on a Sunday.

The Premier League might be able to spending millions on testing, cocoon squads of players for weeks on end to get games played behind closed doors at neutral venues. But this is not possible in GAA, players live among their families and the game itself cannot run on thin air, its primary driver is not Skys billions, its gate money. No Gate = No game at county level such is the cost involved in prepping a squad.

Whilst the club game may be able to continue without big crowds, 30 men coming together to train 2 or 3 times a week then go and play 15 other men from a different part of the county with all returning back to their homes and families at the end of it with little or no testing requires no further explanation for why this is not viable at this time.

Make the call, act early, cancel the entire season and give people certainty to get on with the other challenges associated with this outbreak."
I 100% agree with this.

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 08/05/2020 17:08:48    2277777

Link

I am still clinging to the hope that there might be football behind closed doors at a later stage but know that is just wishful thinking. I don't expect players, management or officials to put themselves or their families at risk just so I can watch some matches on TV. We can't expect amateur players to isolate themselves from their families.

At this stage it would probably be best for the GAA to cancel the season and let everyone plan around that.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 11/05/2020 11:36:27    2277935

Link

Cancel inter county football and all club leagues for 2020.
Reevaluate in August if a club championship can happen.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 12/05/2020 13:45:22    2278013

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Cancel inter county football and all club leagues for 2020.
Reevaluate in August if a club championship can happen."
Why can't u all get it in to your head ,there will be #NO Vaccine this year ,and so there will be no Gaelic football ,or hurling of any kind Club or County ,Period this year either.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 12/05/2020 16:26:53    2278022

Link

Any of you watch the Sunday Game the other night? Our Super 8s game against Kerry was shown. It just reinforced my belief that we're not too far away. With a bit of luck I think we can be real contenders whenever the Championship resumes. Some key factors in that would be, in my opinion.

- Better luck with injuries. An obvious one but we've been very unlucky the last 2 years with injuries to key players at the business end of the Championship e.g. McBrearty in 2018 and Ban in 2019. This break might actually be a benefit for us in that it's given everyone a rest from the overstretched GAA season. Sometimes rest is simply the best remedy for niggly injuries that can lead to bigger ones. As we all know there is very little room in the current GAA calendar for down time. There are huge demands on the top players so as I said, maybe a blessing in disguise. Off the top of my head we had Jason McGee, Paddy McGrath, Oisin Gallen and Kieran Gillespie ruled out.

- Stephen Rochford. I'm not sure what the arrangement is at the minute but I'd hope that we can get him back involved with the setup whenever things return. Always very impressed with him when he speaks on TV and by all accounts the players have great time for him.

- Step Up Time - there were good signs during the League that the younger players are beginning to assume more responsibility. Granted it was the League but Michael Langan was starting to really look like the real deal. We need more of that in the tight Championship games. I'm not just singling Langan out either. Lads like Jamie Brennan, Niall O'Donnell and Jason McGee need to really start imposing themselves in tight matches. Murphy won't be around forever. It's all very well looking the part in Ulster matches when when we're well in control. But it's the do-or-die Championship matches where we need to start seeing it.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 19/05/2020 09:18:49    2278667

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Any of you watch the Sunday Game the other night? Our Super 8s game against Kerry was shown. It just reinforced my belief that we're not too far away. With a bit of luck I think we can be real contenders whenever the Championship resumes. Some key factors in that would be, in my opinion.

- Better luck with injuries. An obvious one but we've been very unlucky the last 2 years with injuries to key players at the business end of the Championship e.g. McBrearty in 2018 and Ban in 2019. This break might actually be a benefit for us in that it's given everyone a rest from the overstretched GAA season. Sometimes rest is simply the best remedy for niggly injuries that can lead to bigger ones. As we all know there is very little room in the current GAA calendar for down time. There are huge demands on the top players so as I said, maybe a blessing in disguise. Off the top of my head we had Jason McGee, Paddy McGrath, Oisin Gallen and Kieran Gillespie ruled out.

- Stephen Rochford. I'm not sure what the arrangement is at the minute but I'd hope that we can get him back involved with the setup whenever things return. Always very impressed with him when he speaks on TV and by all accounts the players have great time for him.

- Step Up Time - there were good signs during the League that the younger players are beginning to assume more responsibility. Granted it was the League but Michael Langan was starting to really look like the real deal. We need more of that in the tight Championship games. I'm not just singling Langan out either. Lads like Jamie Brennan, Niall O'Donnell and Jason McGee need to really start imposing themselves in tight matches. Murphy won't be around forever. It's all very well looking the part in Ulster matches when when we're well in control. But it's the do-or-die Championship matches where we need to start seeing it."
We are already firmly on the cusp of being the 2nd best team in the country. Arguably we should have that mantle already but threw it away largely down to our own failings in 3 significant games.

Tyrone in Ballybofey '18- Lead by 4pts midway through 2nd half
Kerry in Croke Park '19- Fumbled a late goal chance to win the game and also failed to hold onto an injury time lead
Mayo in Castlebar '19- Folded owing largely to injuries and the conditions on the day we just couldnt handle.

Im not say we should have won all 3 games, but to have won ANY 1 of them, would have put us into an All Ireland Semi Final in either year.

The one i hold the most regret over is the Kerry game, we were close to our very best that day but just seem to lack that utter conviction to get over the line and also that lack of killer instinct when the late goal chance opened up and we botched it. Thats how close we were to what would have been an All Ireland Semi with Tyrone last year.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the Covid19 interruption. We have some players at the tail end of their career who will suffer for what is basically a loss of 12mths football. On the flip side we had a young and emerging team who may have been able to use the time to bulk up and also we had significant injuries to key players that looked like keeping them out of the scheduled Tyrone game which should be fully cleared up when football gets the shout to resume- but alas, no championship in 2020 i fear.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 20/05/2020 11:37:55    2278791

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "We are already firmly on the cusp of being the 2nd best team in the country. Arguably we should have that mantle already but threw it away largely down to our own failings in 3 significant games.

Tyrone in Ballybofey '18- Lead by 4pts midway through 2nd half
Kerry in Croke Park '19- Fumbled a late goal chance to win the game and also failed to hold onto an injury time lead
Mayo in Castlebar '19- Folded owing largely to injuries and the conditions on the day we just couldnt handle.

Im not say we should have won all 3 games, but to have won ANY 1 of them, would have put us into an All Ireland Semi Final in either year.

The one i hold the most regret over is the Kerry game, we were close to our very best that day but just seem to lack that utter conviction to get over the line and also that lack of killer instinct when the late goal chance opened up and we botched it. Thats how close we were to what would have been an All Ireland Semi with Tyrone last year.

It will be interesting to see the impact of the Covid19 interruption. We have some players at the tail end of their career who will suffer for what is basically a loss of 12mths football. On the flip side we had a young and emerging team who may have been able to use the time to bulk up and also we had significant injuries to key players that looked like keeping them out of the scheduled Tyrone game which should be fully cleared up when football gets the shout to resume- but alas, no championship in 2020 i fear."
While I thought at the time we threw away the 18 game vs Tyrone I feel looking back now that Tyrone deserved it.

However we improved greatly in 2019 and I feel we are ahead of Kerry and Tyrone now. Although a lot can happen on the day. If we play both teams ten times I think we win 6.

Just on that , Mayo and Galway are in the same level as the rest of us too.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 21/05/2020 11:40:51    2278906

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "While I thought at the time we threw away the 18 game vs Tyrone I feel looking back now that Tyrone deserved it.

However we improved greatly in 2019 and I feel we are ahead of Kerry and Tyrone now. Although a lot can happen on the day. If we play both teams ten times I think we win 6.

Just on that , Mayo and Galway are in the same level as the rest of us too."
Yeah Joyce looked like he had Galway moving in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see how they go whenever football returns.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7105 - 21/05/2020 14:02:35    2278916

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah Joyce looked like he had Galway moving in the right direction. It'll be interesting to see how they go whenever football returns."
I'd still have Galway below us despite that league win. Would strongly fancy us if we played in Croke Park but like you said no doubt they are moving in the right direction. Some vgood footballers

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 22/05/2020 15:22:53    2278990

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "While I thought at the time we threw away the 18 game vs Tyrone I feel looking back now that Tyrone deserved it.

Just on that , Mayo and Galway are in the same level as the rest of us too."
Well Rock2121... Do you really think we'll ahead of Kerry at the moment? That would make us the second best team in Ireland. And how far behind the Dubs do you think we are?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 22/05/2020 17:24:39    2278992

Link