Donegal Forum

NFL 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Another disappointing night. We don't seem to have the rub of the green at the moment. Can't fault anybody division one is a great learning curve. We were well set up I must say and the lads gave it there all. Felt for Patton he has really blossomed into a top class keeper when your lucks out these things happen. Murphy majestic again but you would have to be there to witness the off the ball abuse he gets. But in saying that every team needs a Johnny small a real on the edge player. Nice to see paddy back hopefully he'll get a run of games and stay injury free. I do fear for our hopes of staying up we have to beat Monaghan simple as. Hopefully Brennan is ok he looked sharp last night. Anyway hopefully we'll turn up in big numbers next Sunday to hopefully get the lads over the line. If we the supporters are hurting how do you think the lads are feeling. All it takes is one win to turn it around.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 945 - 23/02/2020 11:57:15    2269235

Link

Another lead lost..this is getting worrying now. I do think the players are there to beat Dublin in Croke park in the summer but we need jimmy back. Couldn't see Donegal giving up the leads with Jimmy back on the dugout. On a positive note well done to Donegal u20 beating monaghan. Anybody know anything about the u20s...are they contenders?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 109 - 23/02/2020 12:46:09    2269257

Link

Bonner has to be running out of narratives after these brutal losses, as he cuts a dismal figure at the end of the game. Man up and at least say the buck stops with him. What chance of getting out of the super eights when Donegal can't even beat a Dublin team short six regulars.At least 3 of these starters on the Donegal team not good enough. Defensively, Donegal weak with the same 3 or 4 carrying the load, namely Patton, McFadden, Murphy . Good to see Mogan come of age. @ Rory were u at the game!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 23/02/2020 14:17:02    2269276

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Bonner has to be running out of narratives after these brutal losses, as he cuts a dismal figure at the end of the game. Man up and at least say the buck stops with him. What chance of getting out of the super eights when Donegal can't even beat a Dublin team short six regulars.At least 3 of these starters on the Donegal team not good enough. Defensively, Donegal weak with the same 3 or 4 carrying the load, namely Patton, McFadden, Murphy . Good to see Mogan come of age. @ Rory were u at the game!"
Stop making a fool of yourself. I think it's time for Bonner to call in some of the players who you named that weren't in the squad. Lol. So Dublin has 6 players missing and we were at full strength. Whatever keeps you happy how did it look on the television if you even watched it. As the gaa slogan says you can't beat being there you should try it next Sunday. You sound to me like a player that maybe Bonner discarded.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 945 - 23/02/2020 16:57:31    2269328

Link

Makin a fool , that's your buddy. Bonner and discarded,should be comin soon. Keep goin to games!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 307 - 23/02/2020 18:51:56    2269377

Link

Replying To thelowball:  "Bonner has to be running out of narratives after these brutal losses, as he cuts a dismal figure at the end of the game. Man up and at least say the buck stops with him. What chance of getting out of the super eights when Donegal can't even beat a Dublin team short six regulars.At least 3 of these starters on the Donegal team not good enough. Defensively, Donegal weak with the same 3 or 4 carrying the load, namely Patton, McFadden, Murphy . Good to see Mogan come of age. @ Rory were u at the game!"
I couldn't see any glaring mistakes from the management against Dublin. In fact we were well set up defensively and competed well. The players do have to take some responsibilty as it was some silly mistakes that cost us. Our shooting was better than in previous games but we did fluff two great goal chances. One thing that worries me is that we cannot do without any of our first team regulars, we will need McMenamin, McGrath, Jason McGee and Oisin Gallen back by the championship. Are our squad players as good as what the other top teams have? Nor sure that is the case. This is no ones fault, just the hand we have at the moment.

Although its worrying that we cannot close out tight matches against the top team, still too early in the year to panic. Big game against Monaghan next weekend, if we lose then we are staring relegation in the face.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1755 - 23/02/2020 19:26:37    2269393

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Stop making a fool of yourself. I think it's time for Bonner to call in some of the players who you named that weren't in the squad. Lol. So Dublin has 6 players missing and we were at full strength. Whatever keeps you happy how did it look on the television if you even watched it. As the gaa slogan says you can't beat being there you should try it next Sunday. You sound to me like a player that maybe Bonner discarded."
Think your been harsh - he's entitled to his opinion

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1185 - 23/02/2020 19:35:26    2269403

Link

How do you figure that Donegal were at full strength?

supporter (Donegal) - Posts: 205 - 23/02/2020 20:12:59    2269433

Link

people on here winding up and giving out. "pretend" fans with agendas against us or the management team. ignore them.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 641 - 23/02/2020 20:25:56    2269439

Link

Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Michael Carroll and Mulligan have left the panel again. Very disappointing in the case of Carroll because he has the engine and the physical attributes to make it. Is there a problem between management and the Gaoth Dobhair contingent?

Secondly, those questioning Bonner are either having a laugh or just stirring the pot. We have as strong a backroom team as any county.

In relation to last nights game, we were well set up and defended well enough, didn't give away goal chances. The only criticism was that they got a few easy scores from positions that they shouldn't have. When Dublin were in the corner they were able to work openings and get shots off relatively easily. In one instance Ciaran Kilkenny got kicking a handy score where Ryan McHugh didn't do enough to close him down.

But all in all it wasn't a bad performance, if we had converted one of our goal chances things would have been different.

Finally, the targeting of Michael Murphy was again hard to stomach. I heard a radio interview with an intercounty referee last week, where he said that the referees regularly meet up and watch games, and that they prepare for big games by watching videos of the teams involved. If this is the case, they would want to open they're eyes to what is clearly pre planned skullduggery.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 23/02/2020 21:05:31    2269464

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Stop making a fool of yourself. I think it's time for Bonner to call in some of the players who you named that weren't in the squad. Lol. So Dublin has 6 players missing and we were at full strength. Whatever keeps you happy how did it look on the television if you even watched it. As the gaa slogan says you can't beat being there you should try it next Sunday. You sound to me like a player that maybe Bonner discarded."
We were certainly not at full strength - McMenamin, McGee, McGrath would be on our first team. Of Dublin's missing players only 4 at most would improve the team - Jack, McCarthy, O'Callaghan and Cluxton. Also, McBreartys first game back.

DonegalAtlantic (Donegal) - Posts: 95 - 23/02/2020 22:42:15    2269523

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Michael Carroll and Mulligan have left the panel again. Very disappointing in the case of Carroll because he has the engine and the physical attributes to make it. Is there a problem between management and the Gaoth Dobhair contingent?

Secondly, those questioning Bonner are either having a laugh or just stirring the pot. We have as strong a backroom team as any county.

In relation to last nights game, we were well set up and defended well enough, didn't give away goal chances. The only criticism was that they got a few easy scores from positions that they shouldn't have. When Dublin were in the corner they were able to work openings and get shots off relatively easily. In one instance Ciaran Kilkenny got kicking a handy score where Ryan McHugh didn't do enough to close him down.

But all in all it wasn't a bad performance, if we had converted one of our goal chances things would have been different.

Finally, the targeting of Michael Murphy was again hard to stomach. I heard a radio interview with an intercounty referee last week, where he said that the referees regularly meet up and watch games, and that they prepare for big games by watching videos of the teams involved. If this is the case, they would want to open they're eyes to what is clearly pre planned skullduggery."
You question a problem between mgt and Gweedore lads ??

3 of them started.....

Then you question people question Bonner ????

Bit hypocritical do u not think ??

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1185 - 23/02/2020 23:43:00    2269543

Link

Disappointed last night coming back down the road, another game where we deserved something. It was a good performance and we'd no luck but the worrying things are recurring and unless they're addressed we're not going to push on.

- We've no man marker. Shane Walsh and Ciaran Kilkenny have both been man marked and yet both, especially Walsh destroyed us.

- We're creating goal chances but aren't converting enough.

- We've no physicality in running to break the line of a blanket defence.

- The remaining injured players, however good, aren't marquee players at this stage of their development and looking at our bench last night we've too many light and small players on that bench.

The positive is that players like Langan, Thompson and Brennan are getting better. O Baoil and Mc Brearty returning at a crucial time could keep us up.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1644 - 24/02/2020 00:07:15    2269548

Link

Very harsh to be nipping at Bonner. 2 years, 2 Ulster titles after all. Short memories; under Rory we were a very pale shadow of the team we have become under Declan. Our forward movement now is very good. He has got the best out of Murphy and has looked after him well. We are developing some excellent emerging talents. Certainly it's disappointing to lose back to back games by a single score in each, but the way I see it, we are doing plenty right against the best teams in Ireland which leaves room for optimism. I also think this league is exposing a few real chinks that Division Two wouldn't have shown management. This can serve as a real learning curve for bigger days in the summer ahead and hopefully that's the case.

Donegal_abroad (Donegal) - Posts: 941 - 24/02/2020 00:09:18    2269549

Link

Good game bad result. No moral victories and lads are really disappointed. It's not like we were played off the park. Our mistakes cost us, however in saying that Dublin put us under serious pressure around the middle third. It's probably our biggest flaw at minute. When we are really squeezed we panic slightly. Some players are not demanding the ball and creating overlaps.

Mogan plays his best football coming from deep.

Langan is improving game on game, serious player, but needs to stop bring ball into three man tackles!

Our ball retention is great at times but when teams put serious pressure around the middle third our half backs, bar Ryan are not demanding the ball and breaking tackles.

Declan has the best players at his disposal on panel at minute bar Odhran.

We are not far away. Missing one or two players who would make us that much more efficient. Unfortunately I don't think we have them in the county at minute.

DLlegends (Donegal) - Posts: 492 - 24/02/2020 09:02:17    2269577

Link

Replying To Donegal_abroad:  "Very harsh to be nipping at Bonner. 2 years, 2 Ulster titles after all. Short memories; under Rory we were a very pale shadow of the team we have become under Declan. Our forward movement now is very good. He has got the best out of Murphy and has looked after him well. We are developing some excellent emerging talents. Certainly it's disappointing to lose back to back games by a single score in each, but the way I see it, we are doing plenty right against the best teams in Ireland which leaves room for optimism. I also think this league is exposing a few real chinks that Division Two wouldn't have shown management. This can serve as a real learning curve for bigger days in the summer ahead and hopefully that's the case."
Spot on

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1185 - 24/02/2020 10:12:43    2269609

Link

Replying To SouthOfTheGap:  "Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Michael Carroll and Mulligan have left the panel again. Very disappointing in the case of Carroll because he has the engine and the physical attributes to make it. Is there a problem between management and the Gaoth Dobhair contingent?

Finally, the targeting of Michael Murphy was again hard to stomach. I heard a radio interview with an intercounty referee last week, where he said that the referees regularly meet up and watch games, and that they prepare for big games by watching videos of the teams involved. If this is the case, they would want to open they're eyes to what is clearly pre planned skullduggery."
Murphy very lucky to be there to be targeted, should've had early red. Same player 2016 q/f v Dublin made a half-moon of Fentons jaw with a closed fist when the Dubs were already out the gate, got away with it then too.

sligo joe (Dublin) - Posts: 307 - 24/02/2020 11:20:22    2269643

Link

Replying To DonegalAtlantic:  "We were certainly not at full strength - McMenamin, McGee, McGrath would be on our first team. Of Dublin's missing players only 4 at most would improve the team - Jack, McCarthy, O'Callaghan and Cluxton. Also, McBreartys first game back."
Sorry I didn't explain it better was just replying to a comment from the anti Bonner management poster who was saying Dublin were down 6 players and not a mention of donegal who were missing as many.. hope that puts it right

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 945 - 24/02/2020 11:26:29    2269647

Link

Replying To Donegal_abroad:  "Very harsh to be nipping at Bonner. 2 years, 2 Ulster titles after all. Short memories; under Rory we were a very pale shadow of the team we have become under Declan. Our forward movement now is very good. He has got the best out of Murphy and has looked after him well. We are developing some excellent emerging talents. Certainly it's disappointing to lose back to back games by a single score in each, but the way I see it, we are doing plenty right against the best teams in Ireland which leaves room for optimism. I also think this league is exposing a few real chinks that Division Two wouldn't have shown management. This can serve as a real learning curve for bigger days in the summer ahead and hopefully that's the case."
I would agree with this assessment of Bonner. We were shocking when he took the team over and since then have won 2 Ulster titles. However we do need to take the next step and try to get through the Super 8s. We are without two of our best man marker in McGrath and McMenamin, they will make a huge difference. We have a lot of potential but need to beat a big team in the Super 8s to bring us to that next level.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1755 - 24/02/2020 11:31:49    2269649

Link

Lads im just gonna make a very simple point and im not gonna name any individuals because people rally in with the excuses then.

When Donegal are in a tight game and taken down the home straight neck and neck.... we fold first.

And we dont just fold in the conventional way.... we fold spectacularly and gift wrap the game for the opposition.

Anyone want examples?

4pt 2nd half lead vs Tyrone in '18- folded.
Leading in Croke Park in injury time vs Kerry '19 and passed up a gift of a late goal chance to win the game
Castlebar '19- look at the goal we conceded- shots for points dropping short and its in our net. Then proceed to kick wide after wide.
And then you can take your pick from the catalog of errors that leave us on 3 league pts after 4 games...when we SHOULD be on 8 having held significant 2nd half leads in ALL 4 games.

This Donegal team look great romping over a Down, Derry or Cavan on a nice summers days in Clones- but there are huge and glaring mental strength issues both as a team and as individuals. When the pressure comes on.. the schoolboy errors kick in and Donegal are easy meat in a final 20mins.

It must be called out, acknowledged and addressed immediately by the management and players as the fundamental thing that is undermining this team and the reason they not got past the super 8 nor wont till its resolved.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 24/02/2020 12:05:18    2269669

Link