Clare Forum

All Ireland 1995

(Oldest Posts First)

Having watched the semi & final from 1995 over the weekend I think hurling was very different back then it was much more physical more man to man more clash of the ash and in fairness not a dirty stroke in games.

I think it was not as skillful as now but was probably more entertaining low scores that had to be really worked for Ger Loughnane was the man he loved the limelight never one to refuse a question to a journalist but how did he get away with being on the field so much.

Our backs were tops back then and Baker and later in 97 Colin came along Tuts was the MOTH in final in 95 with 4 points I spose but the skill of Jamesy & Sparrow was so important in the forwards. Stephen McNamara was very skillful too

Nowdays teams can put 4.26 on a scoreboard but for me the teams of the late 70s & 90s were far more entertaining

Just my thinking

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 20/04/2020 09:39:26    2276302

Link

The amount of ground hurling, pulling overhead and just generally swinging for everything has reduced 95% in the last 25 years anyway!

Personally i thought Baker was our best player in the 95 final. However i think to be fair, the man of the match that day was offaly's kevin kenehan. He was absolutely class at full back.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1877 - 20/04/2020 11:45:26    2276312

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "The amount of ground hurling, pulling overhead and just generally swinging for everything has reduced 95% in the last 25 years anyway!

Personally i thought Baker was our best player in the 95 final. However i think to be fair, the man of the match that day was offaly's kevin kenehan. He was absolutely class at full back."
Brian Lohan was better than Kinahan that day. Kinahan caught great ball but it was meat and drink to him, esp the 2 over Sparrow's head. Clare used the ball poorly that day into Sparrow n Mcnamara so suited Offaly backs. Lohan covered the whole full back line at times and had to deal with a higher calibre of forward and low and high balls. He also had no hamstring for the last 20 mins.

It was a truly epic performance from him. Seanie was also outstanding and the other 4 backs had fantastic second halves. Touhy had a great game as well. Great day. Such memories that will stay with me forever.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 20/04/2020 12:26:22    2276320

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Brian Lohan was better than Kinahan that day. Kinahan caught great ball but it was meat and drink to him, esp the 2 over Sparrow's head. Clare used the ball poorly that day into Sparrow n Mcnamara so suited Offaly backs. Lohan covered the whole full back line at times and had to deal with a higher calibre of forward and low and high balls. He also had no hamstring for the last 20 mins.

It was a truly epic performance from him. Seanie was also outstanding and the other 4 backs had fantastic second halves. Touhy had a great game as well. Great day. Such memories that will stay with me forever."
apparently Brian Lohan wanted to come off his hamstring was gone but Ger woulden't allow it

Players back then werent as concerned with injuries remember Sean McMahon playing on with his collar bone broken ask any professional today to do that no way would they do it, probably correct too, but it meant so much to the players to win under Loughnane

We were a much better & refined team in 97 best of all in 1998 but we were outstaying our welcome, and the dreaded media and powers that be wanted to put an end to us but we deserved a back to back AI in 98 definately

We were never as good again after 98 all though we were a very respectable team for years after got to AI in 2002 and made semi at least once after that maybe more cant remember now.

I suppose we dident have the under age structure to provide the conveyor belt needed to keep winning had to wait until 2013 for next AI

I read there that on an all star tour the great B Cody was fierce interested in how Clare trained ect and he filled a good few pints for Dalo and the lads I suspect that he put that steel thereafter in KK and of course they had much better structures under age ect so so began the great Kilkenny teams all those All Irelands.

The 90 s Team were great hurlers with a bit of edge Lohan McMahon were some of the greatest defenders ever IMO
the great Commentator Michael O' M said in him commentary once about McMahon " has there ever been a better one" and he saw them all I doubt that there was great to look back at those games now

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 20/04/2020 17:05:27    2276338

Link

yep 98 they were at their peak, such unfortunate events on and off the field transpired against them. I think in 99 if Jamesie was fit for munster final they would have beaten Cork and i reckon gone on for another AI but could easily have lost 95 n 97. small margins. 2 Munsters and 3 All Irelands was a great haul.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 20/04/2020 17:17:11    2276340

Link

Replying To clooney:  "apparently Brian Lohan wanted to come off his hamstring was gone but Ger woulden't allow it

Players back then werent as concerned with injuries remember Sean McMahon playing on with his collar bone broken ask any professional today to do that no way would they do it, probably correct too, but it meant so much to the players to win under Loughnane

We were a much better & refined team in 97 best of all in 1998 but we were outstaying our welcome, and the dreaded media and powers that be wanted to put an end to us but we deserved a back to back AI in 98 definately

We were never as good again after 98 all though we were a very respectable team for years after got to AI in 2002 and made semi at least once after that maybe more cant remember now.

I suppose we dident have the under age structure to provide the conveyor belt needed to keep winning had to wait until 2013 for next AI

I read there that on an all star tour the great B Cody was fierce interested in how Clare trained ect and he filled a good few pints for Dalo and the lads I suspect that he put that steel thereafter in KK and of course they had much better structures under age ect so so began the great Kilkenny teams all those All Irelands.

The 90 s Team were great hurlers with a bit of edge Lohan McMahon were some of the greatest defenders ever IMO
the great Commentator Michael O' M said in him commentary once about McMahon " has there ever been a better one" and he saw them all I doubt that there was great to look back at those games now"
Clooney. Forget the media nonsense. Why did the media not stop KK, Tipp, Dublin, Cork or Kerry. Galway went on with the same thing in '89 and they too would have been better off not going down that road.
The first big mistake made in '98 was made by Ger. He should never have even mildly suggested that Offaly were entitled to a replay after Jimmy Cooney blew up the game early. You cannot go back and correct every referees mistake. And yes, our County Board should not have complained when Limerick were denied a free at the end of last years Semi Final. Then the Colm Lynch suspension was taken as an personal attack on all things Clare. You just have to grin and bear things like that, as Limerick had to do in '81, when many of us felt Sean Foley was poorly treated.
Like Galway, with Tony Keady in 89, Colm Lynch could have been injured at throw in time and Clare would have to carry on without him. I strongly feel that if both County Boards, Managements and Senior Team Members had discouraged the 'look how hard done by we are' approach, Galway in '89 and Clare in '98, would have won those All Irelands.
I might politely add that Michael did not 'see them all'. He only first saw a hurling match in 1948. By then, Cork had won fifteen All Irelands, Tipp and Kilkenny had won thirteen each and Limerick and Dublin trailed behind with six each. He, or indeed anybody else, never saw 'them all', which is why selecting Centenary Teams, Millennium Teams , Teams of all time, etc, etc is all rubbish. I do agree that Lohan and McMahon were indeed great players, but to just go on Michael's did and say that Seanie was the best center back ever might be overdoing it. Tony Wall was the best center back I have seen. But, you know, that is only my opinion.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 24/04/2020 09:51:27    2276620

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "Clooney. Forget the media nonsense. Why did the media not stop KK, Tipp, Dublin, Cork or Kerry. Galway went on with the same thing in '89 and they too would have been better off not going down that road.
The first big mistake made in '98 was made by Ger. He should never have even mildly suggested that Offaly were entitled to a replay after Jimmy Cooney blew up the game early. You cannot go back and correct every referees mistake. And yes, our County Board should not have complained when Limerick were denied a free at the end of last years Semi Final. Then the Colm Lynch suspension was taken as an personal attack on all things Clare. You just have to grin and bear things like that, as Limerick had to do in '81, when many of us felt Sean Foley was poorly treated.
Like Galway, with Tony Keady in 89, Colm Lynch could have been injured at throw in time and Clare would have to carry on without him. I strongly feel that if both County Boards, Managements and Senior Team Members had discouraged the 'look how hard done by we are' approach, Galway in '89 and Clare in '98, would have won those All Irelands.
I might politely add that Michael did not 'see them all'. He only first saw a hurling match in 1948. By then, Cork had won fifteen All Irelands, Tipp and Kilkenny had won thirteen each and Limerick and Dublin trailed behind with six each. He, or indeed anybody else, never saw 'them all', which is why selecting Centenary Teams, Millennium Teams , Teams of all time, etc, etc is all rubbish. I do agree that Lohan and McMahon were indeed great players, but to just go on Michael's did and say that Seanie was the best center back ever might be overdoing it. Tony Wall was the best center back I have seen. But, you know, that is only my opinion."
Clooney. Forget the media nonsense. Why did the media not stop KK, Tipp, Dublin, Cork or Kerry. Galway went on with the same thing in '89 and they too would have been better off not going down that road.
I might politely add that Michael did not 'see them all'. He only first saw a hurling match in 1948. By then, Cork had won fifteen All Irelands, Tipp and Kilkenny had won thirteen each and Limerick and Dublin trailed behind with six each. He, or indeed anybody else, never saw 'them all', which is why selecting Centenary Teams, Millennium Teams , Teams of all time, etc, etc is all rubbish. I do agree that Lohan and McMahon were indeed great players, but to just go on Michael's did and say that Seanie was the best center back ever might be overdoing it. Tony Wall was the best center back I have seen. But, you know, that is only my opinion.
Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 69 - 24/04/2020 09:51:2

In fairness to you you your posts are in the main well made and I am not going to keep the thread going after this

All I will say about 98 s that a well known Commentator of GAA was in Waterford on Saturday night after that match & stated that there would be a replay definately but the meeting to decide this was not going to be on until the following day so it was A DONE DEAL IN HQ and there was going to be no reprieve for Colin Lynch either

As you say KK Tipp Cork Dublin Kerry ect went on to win many matches but its hardly a fair comparsion Biggest Counties in both codes numerous Ai's huge panels and I recall a few years ago Dublin getting a player back from a red card V Donegal he was cleared for final IMO different strokes for different folks perhaps

Have you seen B Cody argueing decisions.

I do agree that that ourselves & Galway may have been better off moveing forward but Tony Keady RIP & Colin L were huge players for both counties and like you i have followed GAA for so long cannot recall something like these two things ever been visited on any other team. I think Limerick were entitled to argue about the 65 that wasen't also
It might have meant 2 in a row for ye.

Anyway stay safe

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 24/04/2020 12:43:44    2276631

Link

I presume you mean Colin Lynch Oldtourman?? I never heard of a Colm Lynch for Clare!

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 24/04/2020 14:52:15    2276643

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "I presume you mean Colin Lynch Oldtourman?? I never heard of a Colm Lynch for Clare!"
Yes of course. Thanks. I was in Thurles on the day of the replay in '98. Things just got a bit over heated.

Oldertourman (Limerick) - Posts: 162 - 24/04/2020 18:38:55    2276670

Link

Replying To Oldertourman:  "Yes of course. Thanks. I was in Thurles on the day of the replay in '98. Things just got a bit over heated."
they did indeed get heated, but Waterford had acted the maggot the first day and Clare were primed. I know from a few of the players the comments passed to them the first day acted as serious motivation. Disgraceful carry on.

Even though they didnt win the All Ireland in 98, that summer for me Clare hurled unreal at times and died with their boots on with everyone against them. Duignan playing the 3rd game and lynch suspended still rankles with me. Lynch pulled across Browne, ref didnt see it. Duignan pulled straight across Forde in front of the yet no ref. However they still managed to suspend Lynch.

Like Keady affair in 89, something stinks.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 15/05/2020 13:11:43    2278232

Link