Clare Forum

Conor Mcgrath

(Oldest Posts First)

This was posted as a new thread on the Main Forum but has been incorporated here.

06/12/2019
02:25

Mackers16
(21)

Conor Mcgrath

Well lads just wanted to know what is the story with Conor McGrath?? I heard he is once again not playing for us the year. The lad is only 28 years old I believe. Absolutely class hurler and brilliant player. All star and would make any county's panel.

Can someone shine some light on this? It's mind blowing, it is so frustrating being a Clare supporter. We NEVER seem to be able to call upon our absolute best players at one time. Always examples of this. It's so frustrating.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2230 - 06/12/2019 09:40:32    2253499

Link

It appears that to prolong his club career that Conor has decided against committing to the intercounty scene. The physical demands of senior intercounty hurling have never been greater and Conor has had a lot of injury problems over the last few years. particularly his hip injuries. I am not commenting on the basis of any inside knowledge by the way.

Conor was excellent this year for cratloe in the club championship and once he got injured in the final cratloe completely faded out of the game.

he is one of the best players we have had in this county, maybe ever. but his hectic dual schedule over the past 15 years is having its effect on his body now. the dual success of cratloe as a club competing at the business end of championships for the last number years has put a lot of miles on the clock of a lot of players from the club.

Conor while still naturally being a top class hurler, he has lost a little bit of his pace which is maybe why he doesnt feel he can be at his best on the intercounty scene.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1877 - 13/12/2019 13:41:30    2254673

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "It appears that to prolong his club career that Conor has decided against committing to the intercounty scene. The physical demands of senior intercounty hurling have never been greater and Conor has had a lot of injury problems over the last few years. particularly his hip injuries. I am not commenting on the basis of any inside knowledge by the way.

Conor was excellent this year for cratloe in the club championship and once he got injured in the final cratloe completely faded out of the game.

he is one of the best players we have had in this county, maybe ever. but his hectic dual schedule over the past 15 years is having its effect on his body now. the dual success of cratloe as a club competing at the business end of championships for the last number years has put a lot of miles on the clock of a lot of players from the club.

Conor while still naturally being a top class hurler, he has lost a little bit of his pace which is maybe why he doesnt feel he can be at his best on the intercounty scene."
That Dual mandate wore them all out before their prime I think it was great at the time but caught up with them.

Conor could still do a job for Clare but probably more out the field now as his pace was a huge attribute compensated for sometimes a small lack of ball control, and he was a bit greedy too, but great for a few years.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 13/12/2019 16:37:55    2254707

Link

Replying To hurlingexpert:  "It appears that to prolong his club career that Conor has decided against committing to the intercounty scene. The physical demands of senior intercounty hurling have never been greater and Conor has had a lot of injury problems over the last few years. particularly his hip injuries. I am not commenting on the basis of any inside knowledge by the way.

Conor while still naturally being a top class hurler, he has lost a little bit of his pace which is maybe why he doesnt feel he can be at his best on the intercounty scene."
That Dual mandate wore them all out before their prime I think it was great at the time but caught up with them.

Conor could still do a job for Clare but probably more out the field now as his pace was a huge attribute compensated for sometimes a small lack of ball control, and he was a bit greedy too, but great for a few years.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 13/12/2019 16:37:59    2254708

Link

Thanks lads..I always thought he was absolutely class. Just gutted to think it's the last we've seen of him in a Clare jersey. He had a great club championship and I was fully expecting him to be back in there under Lohan.

Mackers16 (Clare) - Posts: 22 - 15/12/2019 15:08:45    2254977

Link

Its a shame he is gone so young. Clares best ever inside forward that i saw in the flesh.

We are not sort of options there so shouldnt impact us. The inside forward line I think for the championship will be:

Kelly Conlon Shane O

Shanager may well get time in the half forward line instead of Duggan.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 2023 - 16/12/2019 09:22:52    2255089

Link