Carlow Forum

Longmartin Emmets??

(Oldest Posts First)

I notice on football championship titles, a team called Longmartin Emmets won 4 in a row Carlow football championships back in the 1880s/90s.
Does anyone have any idea who they were or where is Longmartin ?
Thanks

By the way i have a suspicion that CB will not go with Poacher. Hope i am wrong

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 511 - 25/06/2020 10:04:20    2281784

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "I notice on football championship titles, a team called Longmartin Emmets won 4 in a row Carlow football championships back in the 1880s/90s.
Does anyone have any idea who they were or where is Longmartin ?
Thanks

By the way i have a suspicion that CB will not go with Poacher. Hope i am wrong"
You mean Loughmartin.... They were from Tullow, and changed their name to St Patrick's, in 1902 (their first name was actually Tullow Stars and Stripes but they changed it because they got a field in Loughmartin, where the business park is now)... The club listed as 'Carlow' is now O'Hanrahan's (since 1919) and was also known as 'Carlow Barrow Rangers' at one point.... This is why the Blues actually really have 18 titles, not the 16, the county board records... A lot of these name changes happened in Carlow... For instance, Mt Leinster Rangers (in football) are essentially the successor club of St Carthage's... we had another evolution last year, in hurling, when Erins Own (14 titles) became Bagenalstown Gaels. Incredibly, no team from Bagenalstown has ever won a Carlow Senior Football... it's also mad to think that Tinryland haven't won it since 1981.

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 340 - 25/06/2020 13:16:52    2281805

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "You mean Loughmartin.... They were from Tullow, and changed their name to St Patrick's, in 1902 (their first name was actually Tullow Stars and Stripes but they changed it because they got a field in Loughmartin, where the business park is now)... The club listed as 'Carlow' is now O'Hanrahan's (since 1919) and was also known as 'Carlow Barrow Rangers' at one point.... This is why the Blues actually really have 18 titles, not the 16, the county board records... A lot of these name changes happened in Carlow... For instance, Mt Leinster Rangers (in football) are essentially the successor club of St Carthage's... we had another evolution last year, in hurling, when Erins Own (14 titles) became Bagenalstown Gaels. Incredibly, no team from Bagenalstown has ever won a Carlow Senior Football... it's also mad to think that Tinryland haven't won it since 1981."
Tinryland's a strange club. Have produced so many good underage sides over the last 20 years, but only reached 1 SFC Final in that time.

Massively underachieved and think their window is starting to close.

TaosHum (Carlow) - Posts: 87 - 25/06/2020 14:47:06    2281814

Link