Antrim Forum

St. Galls v Cushendall: September 11th 2011

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I reckon move Rossa , St Galls & Lamh Derg into Div 1 along with Bcastle, no one relegated to make a 12 team div 1 . Can only help Antriom hurling.

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 15/09/2011 15:31:16    1035294

Link

12 teams in division 1 would be brilliant idea but with matches both home and away it wont be long before a lot of these sides start to grumble about it. Championship is a one off and the division 2 sides had the element of surprise. To complete in leagues means consistency and as in former years these sides soon begin to pull out of fixtures due to other team commitments. 24 games plus the Feis cup or S.W cup (depending on which area sides are in) and add to that ulster league and your looking at nearly thirty games.

shenboli (Antrim) - Posts: 82 - 15/09/2011 20:49:59    1035640

Link

Doesnt have to be home and away! There are options

Outdone (Antrim) - Posts: 106 - 16/09/2011 12:27:41    1035959

Link

im loving all this talk about rossa nearly beating l'guile & st galls nearly beating c'dall & c'dall getting out of jail bigtime.enough already. nearly doesnt mean squat when it comes to c'ship.what would you rather be; nearly drowned or nearly saved??? i know my answer. simple truth is that the two best teams in antrim are in the final & all without either playing anywhere near their best. ok bring st galls up to div 1. does anyone seriously believe that they will then fully commit to hurling right from the beginning of the year???? mixing county & club football commitments with playing senior hurling. no chance. they showed on sun their best chance of progressing in hurling c'ship- having a superfit panel & ambushing teams.all the sympathy in the world wont change sun result & neither should it. was st galls loss any worse than c'dall losing the last 2 finals or loughguile losing 6 in a row?? nowhere near so get over it. the game was there to be won on sun & c'dall were the team who reached out & won it.it wasnt handed to them on a plate. l'guile & c'dall have set the bar over the last number of years & its up to the other teams to rise to the challenge if they are able. these two should be applauded for consistently beating the teams put in front of them in the c'ship instead of slating them for poor performances. i would take poor all day long to be contesting finals like them so i say good luck to them both & i hope to see a cracker final as if there is to be one it can only come from them. last word on the nearly men "close,but no cigar"

auldstock (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 16/09/2011 17:00:21    1036394

Link

Auldstock I dont think anyone from naomh gall was on here talking about going up to div one because it wont happen we cant give 100% to div one hurling while playing div 1 football there are to many duel players in our club and regards the dall game we were beat and thats that could have won it but did,nt but to ask us to put out a team in div 1 every week no chance, so to end good luck to both teams in the final and we will look forward to next year.

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 16/09/2011 17:32:39    1036426

Link

NEAS just to confirm i was in no way referring to any st galls men. its just people talking about restructuring div1 & you will see i was making the same point as you. i apprecaiate that your lads put in a mammoth effort to both club & county football & to ask them to commit 100% to senior hurling from the start of any club year is too much.im also not belittling your teams performance last sun. on the contrary the effort they put into that game was something to admire. personally i have never seen a club team in this county that worked as hard during a game closing out the space & fighting for every ball. no little skill either it must be said. now if only the other "senior" club hurling teams would take a leaf out of your book & work as hard on their game, maybe then there would be more teams contesting the c'hip.seems to me its easier to hope l'guile & c'dall get caught cold on a given day rather than teams working like trojans & making their own headlines. no substitute for hard work.

auldstock (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 16/09/2011 18:29:35    1036465

Link

Nearly accurately describes the countrymen when they pull on a county jersey. They look the part but leave their hurling in the Glens.....as usual! When will the North Antrim men start performing on an All Ireland level for the county, now there's a better question auldstock.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9264 - 16/09/2011 19:16:42    1036490

Link

Just to clarify I am also against re-structuring the leagues. If ya wanna play Division One hurling, put in the effort and commitment from the start of the year and win Division Two. Simple.

ar_an_chnoc (Antrim) - Posts: 142 - 16/09/2011 20:38:10    1036556

Link

Very well put Auldstock that was like a speach from the changing room well done,its good to see that some true people can see the talent in our club Thanks

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 17/09/2011 16:40:42    1036834

Link

It is unfortunate that hurling in a club like St. Galls suffers due to the number of duel players. It's the nature of the beast. The County ultimately suffers for it. Antrim is crying out for some success at inter-county level. We are perennial under achievers. On a positive note, what they have done for football in the county is nothing short of phenomenal! Regardless of the many idiotic comments I have seen posted St. Galls achieved this success over a period of 20 something years as the majority of the players came through the youth ranks. Ballycastle are trying to do the same now with their hurlers, and they should be congratulated for it.

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 18/09/2011 10:50:32    1037031

Link

Never mind the Castle you have to give to St Johns minors doing the double a tremendous achievement in this day ,I hear they only had three minors ,the rest were under 17 .This has to be a boost for the county minors ranks next year .

mambo (Antrim) - Posts: 111 - 18/09/2011 13:02:40    1037080

Link

Ulsterman, the last time Antrim gave a creditable performance in the all ireland series it was against Cork. That day Antrim scored 0-19. Neil Mc Manus scored 0-7 Liam Watson scored 0-6. Both North Antrim men.

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 19/09/2011 08:59:33    1037557

Link

Mambo you are totally right - well done St. Johns minors. Jesus Jones we are one county! Unfortunately people like to be divisive.

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 19/09/2011 19:08:36    1038209

Link

Ulsterman, have a seat cos that big chip you are carrying on your shoulder must be killing you. the countrymen leave their hurling in the glens??? maybe thats what they should do next year when the county comes calling. that would be a sight to behold, a county team with 15 city men. dont make me laugh. only one outcome for that team of merry wanderers - RELEGATION. in fact i think we should start a petition so that we dont lose our best players to a doomed cause year in year out. you are definitely right let the countrymen stay in the glens & concentrate on what they are good at ; winning championships!!!!

auldstock (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 19/09/2011 19:22:24    1038221

Link

Yes mambo well done to st johns minors and mentors and well done to rossa on their wins.

NEAS (Antrim) - Posts: 125 - 19/09/2011 21:29:53    1038366

Link

PATHETIC Auldman and Ulsterman - absolutely pathetic!!

altview (Antrim) - Posts: 114 - 20/09/2011 18:35:42    1039112

Link