Wicklow Forum

Antrim Vs Wicklow

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Pistelero and HomerJay

Its fair to say you are both right in your arguments. I think if you add your two arguments together - you have the core of the issue in one.

On the "glass half full" side - Ballinakill and Development squads are something to have a degree of hope in . Looks like progress & some green shoots however tenuous based on some of the reports I have seen on U16's and Minors ( again , I'm living overseas now , so haven't seen evidence this year with my own eyes ).

Ballinakill and development squads wont show true worth I would suggest for another 3 to 4 years. For underage "catch up" - Ballinakill and Development Squads simply have to work.

That should distract however from fundamental issues you have both highlighted.

Square_Ball_15 (Wicklow) - Posts: 2662 - 31/03/2015 08:19:29    1708707

Link

It is fair to say that at various times in the last 20 of years, we have fallen down on various aspect of the setup in the county, for example, in the 1990s we had good quality footballers, clubs that were a force in Leinster and Ireland but probably didn't have players who were dedicated and we had a below par management team at county level. If you fast forward to the years when Micko was in charge, we had some quality players but overall the players were average but the manager got the absolute max out of what he had and the players were very motivated and dedicated. Now, we appear to have a group of players who I know are doing their best but are not good enough, equally, there is no doubt the results of all our teams outside the county at club and county level have been deteriorating in the last number of years (look at the record of the various county champions). The biggest criticism I would have is that the results appear to be acceptable among the people in authority in the county even when we have hit rock bottom but our minor teams recently result against Dublin (even if it was a second string Dublin) may offer supporters some hope.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1289 - 31/03/2015 11:15:44    1708772

Link

Obviously JL it shows how little you actually know about football,Rathnew have dominated Wicklow football since 1996.They have won 13 out of 19 Championship,s and narrowly lost 3 other finals,that's 16 finals out of 19.As you say Crossmaglen have won 13 Armagh titles and also provincial and All.Ireland club finals,to my knowledge while Crossmaglen have dominated Armagh football the County have to only won 1 All.Ireland,so 1 club dominating hasn't been that good for Armagh who are currently operating in div 3,hardly top table,Wicklow were there a few year ago.

pistelero (Wicklow) - Posts: 1715 - 31/03/2015 12:26:14    1708818

Link

I hate to be the pessimistic moaner but 1 result against a dublin b team in minor challenge is not a recovery -2 months ago a decent u21 hastings result was hopebefore da real game (thrashed by longford)...we need drastic action for u14 upwards ...put a johnny magee type in overall charge of development panels for a 5-10 years model...we are falling further down the pecking order

curnew (Wicklow) - Posts: 448 - 31/03/2015 13:41:44    1708891

Link

curnew, I am not getting carried away by the minor result but unless we grasp onto a small glimmer of hope, we may as well pack it in and all go home - a result of any sort that shows progress at under age level needs to be embraced, I don't expect them to win the Leinster minor title this summer but we have to start somewhere and it is a long road but a little bit at a time.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - Posts: 1289 - 31/03/2015 20:30:36    1709176

Link