Wicklow Forum

Wicklow players in the Gym

(Oldest Posts First)

Too much time spent with ball work and not even time spent in the gym these days is astounding hoe far behind Wicklow are in these regards. Step one we need to get at least 4 tough gym sessions in a week enough muscle hypertrophy to stimulate growth offering the muscle the very complex variables of rest but while also saturating it with blood with 'time under tension'. I would suggest your basic upper/lower split to get the boys off to start. I was in shock watching league games, jerseys still hanging off lads, I'm raising an important issue that I found inconceivable that it hasn't been raised prior to this. If we turn our attention to counties like Dublin they have players like Connolly, McMahon that could stop on stage at a men's physique show any day off the week Wicklow don't offer one. Wicklow need to concentrate on building athletes for I'm worry for what the future may hold!

stpatricks1 (Wicklow) - Posts: 8 - 30/04/2017 21:33:20    1983692

Link

Replying To stpatricks1:  "Too much time spent with ball work and not even time spent in the gym these days is astounding hoe far behind Wicklow are in these regards. Step one we need to get at least 4 tough gym sessions in a week enough muscle hypertrophy to stimulate growth offering the muscle the very complex variables of rest but while also saturating it with blood with 'time under tension'. I would suggest your basic upper/lower split to get the boys off to start. I was in shock watching league games, jerseys still hanging off lads, I'm raising an important issue that I found inconceivable that it hasn't been raised prior to this. If we turn our attention to counties like Dublin they have players like Connolly, McMahon that could stop on stage at a men's physique show any day off the week Wicklow don't offer one. Wicklow need to concentrate on building athletes for I'm worry for what the future may hold!"
Wicklow football needs football more than ever, physically we are just as fit as every other team in Division 3 and 4. What we dont have is the football, our Wicklow panel doesnt have one player that would consistently score 5 points a game, we simply dont have the skill to compete with other counties. So why would we give up more time of football to focus on the gym.... thats ridiculous. Diarmuid Connolly may go to the gym 4 times a week as you suggested but he has an amazing skill level that comes with pure football training. Your statement is ridiculous.

fakehandpass (Wicklow) - Posts: 15 - 30/04/2017 22:48:46    1983702

Link

Replying To fakehandpass:  "Wicklow football needs football more than ever, physically we are just as fit as every other team in Division 3 and 4. What we dont have is the football, our Wicklow panel doesnt have one player that would consistently score 5 points a game, we simply dont have the skill to compete with other counties. So why would we give up more time of football to focus on the gym.... thats ridiculous. Diarmuid Connolly may go to the gym 4 times a week as you suggested but he has an amazing skill level that comes with pure football training. Your statement is ridiculous."
We need to build big strong teams impossible to break down, we are to weak in possession and in defence, the gym offers us a opportunity to out preform teams were we lack clearly in skill, besides grown men in there 20's not filling out a slim fit jersey is a sorry sight, huge investment in that gym out in that elite training centre supplemented with some good dietary plans we will be half way there, need all this backward thinking to end, its that thought that has held Wicklow football back for decades, this is the new age don't get left behind!

stpatricks1 (Wicklow) - Posts: 8 - 01/05/2017 10:36:11    1983737

Link

Replying To fakehandpass:  "Wicklow football needs football more than ever, physically we are just as fit as every other team in Division 3 and 4. What we dont have is the football, our Wicklow panel doesnt have one player that would consistently score 5 points a game, we simply dont have the skill to compete with other counties. So why would we give up more time of football to focus on the gym.... thats ridiculous. Diarmuid Connolly may go to the gym 4 times a week as you suggested but he has an amazing skill level that comes with pure football training. Your statement is ridiculous."
Ridiculous is been kind to him how anyone could say you spend to much time on ball work hasn't a clue about football .As you pointed out we simply don't have the players and nothing is been done about it by the County Board. Can you imagine if Bray was in Dublin under there present coaching system of young kids for the past number of yrs they would not only be challenging for Dunlin titles but national ones .Same goes for Greystonesand Arklow big population areas.

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 467 - 01/05/2017 12:46:59    1983766

Link

Replying To dubarra:  "Ridiculous is been kind to him how anyone could say you spend to much time on ball work hasn't a clue about football .As you pointed out we simply don't have the players and nothing is been done about it by the County Board. Can you imagine if Bray was in Dublin under there present coaching system of young kids for the past number of yrs they would not only be challenging for Dunlin titles but national ones .Same goes for Greystonesand Arklow big population areas."
your deluded putting it lightly, how good would it look if Wicklow were strutting out in their new jerseys and it glued to their arms, wouldn't be hard selling sponsorship deals after that.....besides think of an team getting 14 men behind the ball weighing 87-95kg now that what I call an impermeable wall, with legs like tree trucks the boys could explode up the pitch on the counter attack

stpatricks1 (Wicklow) - Posts: 8 - 01/05/2017 16:11:45    1983795

Link

Replying To stpatricks1:  "your deluded putting it lightly, how good would it look if Wicklow were strutting out in their new jerseys and it glued to their arms, wouldn't be hard selling sponsorship deals after that.....besides think of an team getting 14 men behind the ball weighing 87-95kg now that what I call an impermeable wall, with legs like tree trucks the boys could explode up the pitch on the counter attack"
I can only assume you're trying to wind people up here with these silly posts about gym work. On the off chance you genuinely believe the nonsense you're spouting can you offer any examples of current inter-county teams with muscle-bound he-men who are beating all around them? Some examples please.

All teams go to the gym and have been doing for quite some time. Did you not know this? You're talking like you're are the first person to ever suggest this for GAA teams. I suggest that it's you who needs 'to keep up' as you keep repeating. As previous posters have said, no one is denying gym work is important however no amount of gym work/weight/S&C will help if you don't have players with the necessary skills to begin with.

stanley (None) - Posts: 434 - 01/05/2017 20:52:38    1983842

Link

Replying To stanley:  "I can only assume you're trying to wind people up here with these silly posts about gym work. On the off chance you genuinely believe the nonsense you're spouting can you offer any examples of current inter-county teams with muscle-bound he-men who are beating all around them? Some examples please.

All teams go to the gym and have been doing for quite some time. Did you not know this? You're talking like you're are the first person to ever suggest this for GAA teams. I suggest that it's you who needs 'to keep up' as you keep repeating. As previous posters have said, no one is denying gym work is important however no amount of gym work/weight/S&C will help if you don't have players with the necessary skills to begin with."
believe me I am offering nothing but a series idea into a ongoing problem I have raised the issue before that we neither have/nr will have the players to compete at any level (sorry to break it to you, unless you want to ignore the last 50 years of history) the gym is on variable that we are in control and can up all those around us. you cant argue we need to implement something new, or do you want to continue down this dead end for the foreseeable future and harp on about 'footballers' that simply don't exist. I am neither the first nor the only man to speak up about gym (good point and well spotted) I'm merely questioning the silly training concepts implemented by coaches across Wicklow that aren't getting results these '6 week pre season regimes' please explain these concept that is so prevalent in management of teams around Wicklow but the also extends around the country, what is this idea that six weeks exposure to gym during pre season is seemingly sufficient for a season the muscle needs regular overload and constant regular expose to resistance training in order to maintain and develop, therefore making progress for your six weeks of 'pre season' is all but completely lost 2 months later into your 9/10 month season it just seems ludicrous that in this day and age with the templates that exist in sports like rugby where they have so much more sophisticated programing even at the club level of the game. Still GAA stays hidden in the dark ages of training methods afford to move forward, seems only in the last couple of years there has come a realisation that they there is a world outside of running laps of the football pitch that constitutes conditioning. though feel free to ignore this and return to talking about needing to develop footballers and judging by the leinster minor result to Meath a month ago simply don't exist

stpatricks1 (Wicklow) - Posts: 8 - 01/05/2017 21:55:36    1983854

Link

STpatricks, that idea you have has some substance to it but its not the reason wicklow is dying. Its the end result. Nobody wants to get involved with a sinking ship. The people responsible for running the gaa in this county probably feel worthless as in that everything they do has no effect on footballers. Their attack on the death of football in this county has to be co-ordinated precisely and we have to copy other successful countys.

A strongly structured setup must be implemented at underage and closely monitored. Amalgamations MUST happen in underage in rural clubs to promote competition and quality of players. A booming underage setup that boasts enthusiastic skillfull footballers in a club creates excitement amongst parishes. This is where the every single player in the county is born and grown and raised. The underage setup is the most important place for any club. Weak clubs with bad ethos are crumbling, and theres nothing helping them back up. Wicklow is a very rural county and underage championships have been abysmal the last 5-10 years.

U21 league and championship MUST be reinstated. By not having an u21 level you are basically a believer in the fact that every minor will fit straight into a senior/intermediate team the year after finishing. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN ANY CLUB (apart from the exception of the very skillful and fit players). This is why so many players drop off after minor and turn to other aspects of life and other sports. After being a part of a successful minor football team i can tell you it has happened to 10 out of the 15 players that started our county final on matchday. Amalgamations must happen to allow for U21 league and championships. I dont know exactly how to group teams together but i know that U21 must have a rebirth in this county if you want players to stay with the sport after minor and if you want players to grow from teenagers into men skillwise and training wise.

I know for a fact you could put any amazing training plan in front of the wicklow footballers, any amazing diet, and it wouldnt mean anything to them. They wouldnt bat an eyelid. "another training plan another load of shite same shit different year." It doesnt matter what plan you put out for the players stpatricks, they still wont make the same sacrifices that dublin and mayo players are making. And you can see why. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. The conveyor belt is slowly stopping spitting players into the setup. Kids aren't obssessed with football in this county like they used to be. County players aren't looked up to anymore. If i heard the wicklow county manager was coming to look at one of our games i wouldn't bat an eyelid. I wish more than anything this county was booming with excitement about GAA but its not and we're at least 8 years behind other countys.

Dont blame the manager, or training methods, the gym/ plan, or the players, regardless of whether theyre doing the right thing. We havent even got the basics covered. Clubs are losing players and coaches in every corner of the county and minors are leaving the setup if they dont impact the first adult team in 1-2 years after introduction.

navilluso (Wicklow) - Posts: 1 - 15/05/2017 02:56:31    1986715

Link

Looking forward to the game ladies. As usual I am a little apprehensive as we're back to the same ground where we had our own MH-DUB 91 saga. I can breath again however after reading this thread as our lads have huge guns and bodies like fury the tank. Following the sea weed baths this week is a manicure and pedicure with full body spray tan. All my mates wives have taken a sudden huge interest in the game. The main draw back to our fine physical physique is the occasional pose for photo opportunities that occur during games and we can be dispossessed as a result. In fairness it's difficult to show off the pearly whites and six pack whilst soloing up the wing.

ged (Louth) - Posts: 291 - 16/05/2017 10:40:37    1987030

Link

serious interest in this game in wicklow I see??

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1565 - 16/05/2017 14:43:43    1987121

Link

A strongly structured setup must be implemented at underage and closely monitored. Amalgamations MUST happen in underage in rural clubs to promote competition and quality of players. A booming underage setup that boasts enthusiastic skillfull footballers in a club creates excitement amongst parishes. This is where the every single player in the county is born and grown and raised. The underage setup is the most important place for any club. Weak clubs with bad ethos are crumbling, and theres nothing helping them back up. Wicklow is a very rural county and underage championships have been abysmal the last 5-10 years.
U21 league and championship MUST be reinstated. By not having an u21 level you are basically a believer in the fact that every minor will fit straight into a senior/intermediate team the year after finishing. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN ANY CLUB (apart from the exception of the very skillful and fit players). This is why so many players drop off after minor and turn to other aspects of life and other sports. After being a part of a successful minor football team i can tell you it has happened to 10 out of the 15 players that started our county final on matchday. Amalgamations must happen to allow for U21 league and championships. I dont know exactly how to group teams together but i know that U21 must have a rebirth in this county if you want players to stay with the sport after minor and if you want players to grow from teenagers into men skillwise and training wise.
I know for a fact you could put any amazing training plan in front of the wicklow footballers, any amazing diet, and it wouldnt mean anything to them. They wouldnt bat an eyelid. "another training plan another load of shite same shit different year." It doesnt matter what plan you put out for the players stpatricks, they still wont make the same sacrifices that dublin and mayo players are making. And you can see why. There is no light at the end of the tunnel. The conveyor belt is slowly stopping spitting players into the setup. Kids aren't obssessed with football in this county like they used to be. County players aren't looked up to anymore. If i heard the wicklow county manager was coming to look at one of our games i wouldn't bat an eyelid. I wish more than anything this county was booming with excitement about GAA but its not and we're at least 8 years behind other countys.
Dont blame the manager, or training methods, the gym/ plan, or the players, regardless of whether theyre doing the right thing. We havent even got the basics covered. Clubs are losing players and coaches in every corner of the county and minors are leaving the setup if they dont impact the first adult team in 1-2 years after introduction.
navilluso (Wicklow) - Posts:1 - 15/05/2017 02:56:31
u21 has only been removed at inter county level and its been replaced with an u20 competition. It doesnt need to be reinstated.
Wicklow is far from a very rural county.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 28/05/2017 21:50:14    1991634

Link