Wexford Forum

What are we doing?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "This is not an anti hurling rant, i just want to make a point please, reports are that the hurlers trained at 5am on christmas week!!!!! what in gods name are we doing to our young gaa men? im sure its happening in lots of hurling and football teams all over the country [ it will not happen in Kilkenny

we are loosing it, iv said several times co manages need to be rained in, all the complaints about club fixtures can be solved by co managers obliged to release the players back to clubs one night a week, this county training is getting out of order and it needs to be stopped,"]Start training in March, Tuesday and Thursday 7.30 to 8.30, few pints after in Dunbars for bit of team bonding... return to the good auld days!!!!
We only amateurs after all, never mind this professional approach !!!!!
Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 449 - 05/01/2017 18:25:51    1943308

Link

Lads it's a discipline exercise putting training on at 5am (not 4am). Its not happening every week. At some stage or another successful county's have had early morning sessions. This is a nothing story.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 05/01/2017 18:32:08    1943310

Link

Replying To mrfox:  "Lads it's a discipline exercise putting training on at 5am (not 4am). Its not happening every week. At some stage or another successful county's have had early morning sessions. This is a nothing story."
Start training in March, Tuesday and Thursday 7.30 to 8.30, few pints after in Dunbars for bit of team bonding... return to the good auld days!!!!
Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 449 - 05/01/2017 18:43:14    1943311

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "
Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "This is not an anti hurling rant, i just want to make a point please, reports are that the hurlers trained at 5am on christmas week!!!!! what in gods name are we doing to our young gaa men? im sure its happening in lots of hurling and football teams all over the country [ it will not happen in Kilkenny

we are loosing it, iv said several times co manages need to be rained in, all the complaints about club fixtures can be solved by co managers obliged to release the players back to clubs one night a week, this county training is getting out of order and it needs to be stopped,"
Start training in March, Tuesday and Thursday 7.30 to 8.30, few pints after in Dunbars for bit of team bonding... return to the good auld days!!!!
Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!"]U MISUNDERSTAND TOTALLY, THIS IS NOT A GO AT FITZGARLD, ITS QUESTIONING THE DIRECTION THE GAA IS GOING IN, A LOT OF COUNTIES DDO IT INC DUBLIN FOOTBALLERS, BUT WHERE WILL IT STOP, ITS NOT UNKNOWN FOR TEAMS TO TRAIN 7 DAYS A WEEK, THE BEST I EVER HEARD WAS A CO TEAM BOASTING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THAT THEY TRAINED 9 TIMES IN ONE WEEK, WHERE WILL IT STOP? IT WONT MANAGERS WILL JUST PUSH LADS MORE AND MORE EVERY YEAR,

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2013 - 05/01/2017 18:57:36    1943314

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "
Replying To tonydoranfan:  "[quote=Stmunnsriver:  "This is not an anti hurling rant, i just want to make a point please, reports are that the hurlers trained at 5am on christmas week!!!!! what in gods name are we doing to our young gaa men? im sure its happening in lots of hurling and football teams all over the country [ it will not happen in Kilkenny

we are loosing it, iv said several times co manages need to be rained in, all the complaints about club fixtures can be solved by co managers obliged to release the players back to clubs one night a week, this county training is getting out of order and it needs to be stopped,"
Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!"]U MISUNDERSTAND TOTALLY, THIS IS NOT A GO AT FITZGARLD, ITS QUESTIONING THE DIRECTION THE GAA IS GOING IN, A LOT OF COUNTIES DDO IT INC DUBLIN FOOTBALLERS, BUT WHERE WILL IT STOP, ITS NOT UNKNOWN FOR TEAMS TO TRAIN 7 DAYS A WEEK, THE BEST I EVER HEARD WAS A CO TEAM BOASTING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THAT THEY TRAINED 9 TIMES IN ONE WEEK, WHERE WILL IT STOP? IT WONT MANAGERS WILL JUST PUSH LADS MORE AND MORE EVERY YEAR,"]You seem to hear a lot without any facts....!!!! I know for a fact that the majority of intercounty players enjoy the challenge and discipline....

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 449 - 05/01/2017 20:07:23    1943335

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "[quote=Stmunnsriver:  "This is not an anti hurling rant, i just want to make a point please, reports are that the hurlers trained at 5am on christmas week!!!!! what in gods name are we doing to our young gaa men? im sure its happening in lots of hurling and football teams all over the country [ it will not happen in Kilkenny

Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!"]U MISUNDERSTAND TOTALLY, THIS IS NOT A GO AT FITZGARLD, ITS QUESTIONING THE DIRECTION THE GAA IS GOING IN, A LOT OF COUNTIES DDO IT INC DUBLIN FOOTBALLERS, BUT WHERE WILL IT STOP, ITS NOT UNKNOWN FOR TEAMS TO TRAIN 7 DAYS A WEEK, THE BEST I EVER HEARD WAS A CO TEAM BOASTING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THAT THEY TRAINED 9 TIMES IN ONE WEEK, WHERE WILL IT STOP? IT WONT MANAGERS WILL JUST PUSH LADS MORE AND MORE EVERY YEAR,"]You seem to hear a lot without any facts....!!!! I know for a fact that the majority of intercounty players enjoy the challenge and discipline.... that's why they are intercounty and we are text warriors!!!!

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 449 - 05/01/2017 20:11:43    1943337

Link

Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!"]U MISUNDERSTAND TOTALLY, THIS IS NOT A GO AT FITZGARLD, ITS QUESTIONING THE DIRECTION THE GAA IS GOING IN, A LOT OF COUNTIES DDO IT INC DUBLIN FOOTBALLERS, BUT WHERE WILL IT STOP, ITS NOT UNKNOWN FOR TEAMS TO TRAIN 7 DAYS A WEEK, THE BEST I EVER HEARD WAS A CO TEAM BOASTING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THAT THEY TRAINED 9 TIMES IN ONE WEEK, WHERE WILL IT STOP? IT WONT MANAGERS WILL JUST PUSH LADS MORE AND MORE EVERY YEAR,"]You seem to hear a lot without any facts....!!!! I know for a fact that the majority of intercounty players enjoy the challenge and discipline.... that's why they are intercounty and we are text warriors!!!!

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 449 - 05/01/2017 20:16:55    1943339

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "" I believe that Davy does this crack to give them a mental edge, when the big day comes lads will look at their prep and say we couldnt have done any more"

This is hurling, it is a hobby, it is not the army they are training for. If it takes a lad getting up at 4am to get him ready for big day, then I would have to question what motivates him in the first instance."
Its meant to be a hobby but the intercounty scene is now a bi-polar mess. For players its a hobby that they do for love and whatever other factors motivate them. For Davy et al. it is a job, and they will treat it as a job because they have to.

I never said it was a motivator by training early by the way. What i meant was that it was a mental thing to make players feel they have done everything humanly possible to be ready for the big day. If a doubt creeps into their head about how ready they are or the like this can be used as a " we even did..... so of course we are ready" type thing. Hope thats a little clearer.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 05/01/2017 22:04:29    1943364

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "
Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "[quote=tonydoranfan:  "[quote=Stmunnsriver:  "This is not an anti hurling rant, i just want to make a point please, reports are that the hurlers trained at 5am on christmas week!!!!! what in gods name are we doing to our young gaa men? im sure its happening in lots of hurling and football teams all over the country [ it will not happen in Kilkenny

Would the negativity please stop and give Fitzgerald a chance...he has not even played a match in 2017 yet and crap has all ready started from the hurlers on the ditch!!!!!!"]U MISUNDERSTAND TOTALLY, THIS IS NOT A GO AT FITZGARLD, ITS QUESTIONING THE DIRECTION THE GAA IS GOING IN, A LOT OF COUNTIES DDO IT INC DUBLIN FOOTBALLERS, BUT WHERE WILL IT STOP, ITS NOT UNKNOWN FOR TEAMS TO TRAIN 7 DAYS A WEEK, THE BEST I EVER HEARD WAS A CO TEAM BOASTING A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THAT THEY TRAINED 9 TIMES IN ONE WEEK, WHERE WILL IT STOP? IT WONT MANAGERS WILL JUST PUSH LADS MORE AND MORE EVERY YEAR,"]You seem to hear a lot without any facts....!!!! I know for a fact that the majority of intercounty players enjoy the challenge and discipline.... that's why they are intercounty and we are text warriors!!!!"]Christ almighty do you seriously think this is a jealousy and hurler on the ditch thing,it isn't and isn't exclusive to wexford

Ever wonder why cruciate ligament injuries are so common these days ever wonder why lads in there early 20's are getting hip surgery,this isn't just a hurling or football issue it's a welfare issue 3 of our current panel got ACL injuries in 2016. Richie hogan said it on newstalk a couple years ago he wants more matches and less training.when lads are getting flogged for training and dont recover properly there more susptable to injury,ask any physio worth there salt

Of course the panel are willing to make the sacrifices nobody denies that ,anyone with a passion for there county and grew up with the dream of playing in croke park would make the commitment but the average retirement ages at intercounty are falling every year and it coinsitence why,nobody is suggesting the other extreme the old school approach like offaly in the 90's but things across the country need to be rained in a little in my view

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 06/01/2017 01:40:36    1943396

Link

I think lads dream of playing in Croke Park, but I'd wonder will they be willing to make the unrealistic sacrifices for much longer? There is a lot of things on young lads, dreams, college, travelling, etc.
Making them train at 4-5am is just going to make them decide it is not quicker.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 06/01/2017 14:46:42    1943522

Link