Wexford Forum

Walk overs

(Oldest Posts First)

It is shocking the number of walk overs that are being given in both hurling and football this year, at every level from u12 to intermedate, whats really upsetting about it is in every case they have allready fielded teams but are unable fulfil their program, this shows a total lack of interest in hurling and football. Players gave out about lack of games, now there is a decent amount of games provided and players have no interest and its not the fault of county teams and championship hold up, that is not the reason after playing 2/3/4 games at under age or junior or inter a team has to give a walk over. Its pure lack of interest!

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2013 - 21/08/2016 12:40:29    1903769

Link

4 walkovers in football this week. Three of them in intermediate A. I haven't seen any walkovers in hurling championship games yet.

Simple solution, there are 12 teams in each championship. Any team who gives a walkover should be relegated, and replaced by the same number from the grade below

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 21/08/2016 15:49:46    1903838

Link

Are you serious!? Ask yourself why players are showing a lack of interest this far into the year. I wonder could it have anything to do with the contempt that they're shown by the county board for the previous 4-5 months? When club players are pushed to one side and forgotten about, then sooner or later, they're going to become disillusioned, fed up and ask what's the point! Add to that the fact that the fixtures committee is joke who do little to accommodate clubs in rearranging fixtures for genuine reasons, thus leading to clubs unable to field their most senior team without decimating their intermediate or junior team, leading to players of the junior team tied to the seniors with no prospect of getting game time and unable to return to junior. If the county board aren't going to help club players, then these things will continue to happen!

NaomhAine (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 21/08/2016 16:32:23    1903864

Link

Replying To NaomhAine:  "Are you serious!? Ask yourself why players are showing a lack of interest this far into the year. I wonder could it have anything to do with the contempt that they're shown by the county board for the previous 4-5 months? When club players are pushed to one side and forgotten about, then sooner or later, they're going to become disillusioned, fed up and ask what's the point! Add to that the fact that the fixtures committee is joke who do little to accommodate clubs in rearranging fixtures for genuine reasons, thus leading to clubs unable to field their most senior team without decimating their intermediate or junior team, leading to players of the junior team tied to the seniors with no prospect of getting game time and unable to return to junior. If the county board aren't going to help club players, then these things will continue to happen!"
What would be a genuine reason to re arrange a match?
There was a gap of two months (June and July) not 4 or 5 between club championship. On one hand your not happy cause of lack of matches then give out that matches can't be postponed because clubs request a weekend off.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 21/08/2016 17:32:10    1903941

Link

The most recent example that I can think of is the situation that our seniors found themselves in. Wedding in the U.S. A request was made 5-6 months ago to not have a game that one weekend and it was ignored. I've been told that it was suggested that it could be played on the preceding Thursday night and that was refused. The exact same thing happened to another intermediate club. Requested a game be rescheduled due to a wedding, it was refused. Both clubs involved in the fixture were in complete agreement that they would be willing to play the game 2 days earlier, on a Thursday night, but again this was not allowed. All it might take to help would be for a little bit more willingness to accommodate clubs were possible. Now I don't mean re-fixing a whole heap of games that will throw the whole championship off schedule or doing it a load of times for the one club in a short time frame, but where involved clubs agree to play a couple of days earlier or later, then show a bit of common sense.

NaomhAine (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 21/08/2016 18:07:12    1903964

Link

Replying To 890202:  "4 walkovers in football this week. Three of them in intermediate A. I haven't seen any walkovers in hurling championship games yet.

Simple solution, there are 12 teams in each championship. Any team who gives a walkover should be relegated, and replaced by the same number from the grade below"
a shocking number of walk overs in under age hurling

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2013 - 22/08/2016 09:27:49    1904290

Link

Replying To Stmunnsriver:  "a shocking number of walk overs in under age hurling"
I agree with you there. I was referring to adult games. Its no wonder there are so many walkovers at underage level with the way groups are graded. Under 14 is a big problem because grading is based on mickey mouse go games matches and the numbers a club has. It doesnt take into account the standard of the teams because there weren't proper games at under 12 level. Take for example division two of under 14 hurling. There are 10 teams in that group and the last round of group fixtures was played last week. Here are the scorelines: 5-11 to 0-04, 8-26 to 2-01, 9-16 to 6-00, 5-13 to 1-12, 8-12 to 2-08. In round one the rapparees won against Monageer on a scoreline of 5-18 to 0-03 points, while in round 4 they were beaten on a scoreline of 5-18 to 0-03 against Blackwater. That shows the massive difference between the standard of teams in that group. They were 30 points better than one team and 30 points worse than another, is it any wonder monageer gave blackwater a walkover? Is it any wonder Cushinstown gave buffers alley a walkover, after all the hammerings they got you couldnt blame them for not travelling all the way to monamolin to receive another one. Other scorelines in that particular division include 6-14 to 0-03, 6-24 to 3-05, 13-08 to 0-03, 8-22 to 0-00, 5-11 to 1-02, 8-19 to 1-05. You might look at these scorelines and think that it was only 1/2 teams on the receiving end of those scorelines but it was actually 4 different teams being consistently hammered. Bunclody won the group with 9 wins out of nine and a score difference of 183, so they averaged a 20 point win per game. Liam mellows finished bottom with a score difference of -200 and due to two walkovers only played 7 games, meaning they received an average beating off 28 points.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1232 - 22/08/2016 12:52:42    1904415

Link