Wexford Forum

Football qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I agree with the idea that we need to have a serious look at both management teams. I was in at the football on saturday and I have to say a couiple of our lads didnt look fit which for me is a basic requirement of playing club football never mind county. I'm also dissapointed with Flynn's comments, twitter is not the place for that kind of thing especially from a member of the panel. I think he's let himself down there. Devereux after coming out against so called keyboard warriors and then a member of the football panel does this, really reflects badly on Wexford GAA.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 467 - 27/06/2016 09:24:25    1872577

Link

Taught it was a poor reflection on the county board that no notice was given about the u17 hurling game at 3.15 been called off,if they couldn't get enough players to field teams fair enough but apparently this was known on Friday and no notice was given on their website or social media accounts,very poor given the game was in the fixture list in the wexford people and some spectators including myself arrived early for that game

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 27/06/2016 11:43:55    1872666

Link

Adrian Flynns comments are alarming and controversial. If he wanted media attention, he's certainly got some, but not a dignified or mature way to be a catalyst for change in what is obviously a poor set up.

Way too much fan emphasis out on hurling management and performances, when equal support and funding given to the footballers who couldn't get out of div 4 and flopped in championship. A full performance review of the football set up needs to be implemented by the county board asap. Two years and no real improvements or change. Waters jumping from hurlers to footballers doesn't seem to have added anything to the team.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 27/06/2016 14:10:28    1872773

Link

i questioned david power appointment from day 1 and he has been found out.what had he won,a minor title with tipp?
i couldnt make the game on sat due to family commitments but from talking to somebody who did it was a dispiriting a performance as they have seen.
unfit,poor choice of play,players afraid to take a shot,these were all the errors throughout the year.we couldn't even get out of division 4.
i notice some posters who are ready to stick the knife into the hurlers on saturday if they lose are very very quiet today.face facts lads,the footballers are at an even lower ebb than the hurlers.i dont know if these posters get a kick out of beating amateur players when they are down but for me,both teams deserve our support and as per usual,there is no sign of doylerwex,cragask,etc on here sinking a knife into the footballers today nor any day.the flip side is definitely not the case.
there is no doubting our position as a dual county (nor should there be) but the constant barrage of criticism towards the hurlers is not promoting support for the football team nor getting those who might even consider following both on-side.
i do however completely disagree with panther posting a tweet like that,there is a time and a place to air greviances and social media is the lowest a player can go.

a massive winter ahead for our county board replacing both men at the helm of the senior teams wont be easy but i would say some supporters should use the winter to reflect also.i am struggling to draw any positives from this year for either code.that day v kildare will love long in the memory as the worst game of football i ever seen.i hope saturday was at least a bit better.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 27/06/2016 14:35:55    1872790

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i questioned david power appointment from day 1 and he has been found out.what had he won,a minor title with tipp?
i couldnt make the game on sat due to family commitments but from talking to somebody who did it was a dispiriting a performance as they have seen.
unfit,poor choice of play,players afraid to take a shot,these were all the errors throughout the year.we couldn't even get out of division 4.
i notice some posters who are ready to stick the knife into the hurlers on saturday if they lose are very very quiet today.face facts lads,the footballers are at an even lower ebb than the hurlers.i dont know if these posters get a kick out of beating amateur players when they are down but for me,both teams deserve our support and as per usual,there is no sign of doylerwex,cragask,etc on here sinking a knife into the footballers today nor any day.the flip side is definitely not the case.
there is no doubting our position as a dual county (nor should there be) but the constant barrage of criticism towards the hurlers is not promoting support for the football team nor getting those who might even consider following both on-side.
i do however completely disagree with panther posting a tweet like that,there is a time and a place to air greviances and social media is the lowest a player can go.

a massive winter ahead for our county board replacing both men at the helm of the senior teams wont be easy but i would say some supporters should use the winter to reflect also.i am struggling to draw any positives from this year for either code.that day v kildare will love long in the memory as the worst game of football i ever seen.i hope saturday was at least a bit better."
To say waters hasn't added anything to the team is laughable. I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across that way doh, either that or you don't go to too many games.
Daithi was immense again the weekend. As for Flynn's comments, yes obviously not the place for them but how or why he was taken off I don't know when himself and tubritt were clearly our two best forwards on the day.
But yes a complete evaluation of the football in the county needed and perhaps a look at the hurling too... Time to get Wexford back on the map in both codes.

hurlin101 (Wexford) - Posts: 96 - 27/06/2016 14:50:55    1872801

Link

How anyone can say Waters has offered nothing ... i actually dont understand ... He was by far the best player we had. I also dont get how people are saying it was a bad Performance i actually taught for 50-55 minutes it was a very good performance.

We made the wrong subs and also how in all thats holy it took management 20 mins in to the second half to double up on Fermanagh's number 7 Aideen Breen is a mystery not even sherlock holmes will figure out.

Waters was heroic through out the match and we really should have been using Tubritt and O'Grady alot more (how the latter was takin off unless exhausted i don't know).

Lastly how pathetic was it that we were out numbered 2 maybe 3 to 1 in our home pitch against a team from the north. I never felt as low as a supporter as i did then and really couldn't blame any player who wants to pack it in

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 737 - 27/06/2016 15:34:51    1872837

Link

Replying To hurlin101:  "To say waters hasn't added anything to the team is laughable. I'm sure you didn't mean it to come across that way doh, either that or you don't go to too many games.
Daithi was immense again the weekend. As for Flynn's comments, yes obviously not the place for them but how or why he was taken off I don't know when himself and tubritt were clearly our two best forwards on the day.
But yes a complete evaluation of the football in the county needed and perhaps a look at the hurling too... Time to get Wexford back on the map in both codes."
where did i say that about waters?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 27/06/2016 16:19:38    1872884

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "where did i say that about waters?"
To be fair I think he was quoting the wrong poster. As regards to the situation itself, I already posted my feelings on the football forum but would just like to echo a point or two here in the traffic. Firstly, the lack of centre-back. I know Naomhan Rossiter had to move back to full to address Furlong's absence, but what has Butler done wrong to go so far down the pecking order? At least he has experience of playing there (however fleeting). Eoghan Nolan is certainly not a centre-back, and I am open to correction but I am fairly sure that Syl Byrne only played there once in the league, and it's not like we were the most formidable defensively in the Division Four quagmire. If Power is so convinced of Syl's covering game, then play him as a sweeper as opposed to an out and out centre back.

The other issue which I highlighted in my other post was not starting PJ, particularly in the absence of Lyng. He has rediscovered his form for club and county this year, and surely we couldn't afford not to start a big name given our casualty list. Beggars belief.

Pardon the pun, but I think David's Power lies in under-age management. Flynn's unneccesary outburst on twitter points to unease towards the manager by the senior members of the squad. I mean can anyone really honestly saw that we have a set game-plan or progressed in any measure under him?

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 676 - 27/06/2016 16:47:03    1872906

Link

Twitter isn't the place for a panel member to be making comments like that weather there justified or not,it's puts the manager in a impossible situation and creates a awkward and unnecessary situation

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 27/06/2016 18:15:40    1872965

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Twitter isn't the place for a panel member to be making comments like that weather there justified or not,it's puts the manager in a impossible situation and creates a awkward and unnecessary situation"
agree fully with that.take david power aside and vent to him,dont just take a cheap shot where he has no right to reply.
disappointing year for the footballers,i am surprised some are so quiet because god help the hurlers if they lose on saturday,you know who you are....as does everybody...

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 29/06/2016 08:44:36    1873626

Link

Replying To wexcore:  "How anyone can say Waters has offered nothing ... i actually dont understand ... He was by far the best player we had. I also dont get how people are saying it was a bad Performance i actually taught for 50-55 minutes it was a very good performance.

We made the wrong subs and also how in all thats holy it took management 20 mins in to the second half to double up on Fermanagh's number 7 Aideen Breen is a mystery not even sherlock holmes will figure out.

Waters was heroic through out the match and we really should have been using Tubritt and O'Grady alot more (how the latter was takin off unless exhausted i don't know).

Lastly how pathetic was it that we were out numbered 2 maybe 3 to 1 in our home pitch against a team from the north. I never felt as low as a supporter as i did then and really couldn't blame any player who wants to pack it in"
A bit of an exaggeration on the support,like most football games we had a small following on Saturday but we weren't outnumbered by the fermanagh support

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 29/06/2016 11:56:42    1873732

Link

maybe it was the volume of their support but I honestly taught we were outnumbered.if I was wrong I apologise.

And in no way was my post meant as a football/hurling debate or the second class citizen cloud some of us football fans like to push.

It's just I can't understand how having seen the sheer effort daithi waters put in on Saturday doesn't make people want to support that team. But then again the gaa are doing a fine job of out pricing a lot of people

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 737 - 30/06/2016 14:58:34    1874297

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "agree fully with that.take david power aside and vent to him,dont just take a cheap shot where he has no right to reply.
disappointing year for the footballers,i am surprised some are so quiet because god help the hurlers if they lose on saturday,you know who you are....as does everybody..."
would you please give it a rest going on about the "football" supporters slating the hurling set up. It's constant with you and you really dont see the irony in you every time going on about it after the football losing. Its like you want to be offended. Do you want the football supporters in here slating the team? would that make you happy? Just give it a rest, you dont even realise that it is you and these type of comments who keeps creating this apparent divide that you claim to be seeing.

as for the football, Power has had 2 years and we have gone backwards when realistically we should have seen improvements. Flynns comments show that his tenure is untenable nowt. I wouldnt mind seeing Flynn leaving too either, he should be a leader of the team. We are lacking some experienced leaders like we have had before to blood the young lads through and that is as much an issue.

Just on PJ, his fitness was highly questionable coming into the game due to personal events over the last month (which is not a criticism, everyone has a life outside of the football field) so it wasnt a surprise that he wasnt starting, he wouldnt have had 70 minutes of intercounty football in him for that game.

We have a good group of young players coming through, so we need a good manager over them and some of the elder players to take leadership like the way Forde, Wallace, Morris and those players did when the last bunch of young players like Borsnan, Banville and Flynn came through. I'd be looking at Malone and Waters as really the only 2 who could be that sort, as the rest of the team is very young.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 563 - 01/07/2016 09:49:00    1874536

Link