Wexford Forum

Oulart in Leinster final. . . .

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I can hardly believe that saturdays semi-final hasn't been mentioned here. Like I said at the start of this thread, i'm not Oulart's buggest fan at a local level, but they are representing our county, representing us, now so the best of luck lads, give it a lash. Surely we'll see more passion and desire than we witnessed in croker last week ?

yellabelly (Wexford) - Posts: 1062 - 05/02/2016 11:08:09    1822492

Link

I'll be there supporting nap even though I'm from a rival club. On paper I think nap should win, possibly with a bit to spare but sport doesn't always follow the script! But nap are a a great club side with County quality in every position whether it's underage, intermediate or senior (u21 stars Ronan Lynch, Michael Casey, Peter Casey, David Dempsey and senior stars Dowling, Downes, Breen, King and others around County panels. On top of quality hurling theyre also a big strong team. I don't know much about the Wexford men but I'm going by the lack of current County players but I'm sure they are a very solid battle hardened team with nothing to lose which is always dangerous. Nap by 7 for me.

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 05/02/2016 11:36:52    1822507

Link

Going to shout on Oulart tomorrow, sometimes life throws up strange circumstances. I hope they can do it and while they are up against it, they are in bonus territory and can play without any pressure.
"Lack of current seniors". Hmmm.....interesting observation.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 05/02/2016 17:30:15    1822670

Link

Yeah, am I wrong about that pinkie? Thought I read that somewhere that they have only one starter? I just know they don't have any of my favorite Wexford hurlers like McDonald, McGovern, chin, Guiney etc but in reality I have no idea how strong they are. I do know nap gave them a bit of a hiding in a challenge earlier this year, but you cant read into challenges a whole lot..

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 05/02/2016 18:53:27    1822697

Link

Best of luck to Oulart tomorrow. Do yourselves and your county proud.

WeWillBeBack (Wexford) - Posts: 4 - 05/02/2016 19:06:16    1822701

Link

I'd make nap slight favourites but as I said only slight

Seen oulart quoted as 10\3 which are ridiculous odds

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 05/02/2016 21:20:53    1822750

Link

Only current seniors are redmond and Moore. Neither of which are garunteed starters but I'd take rossi or stamp back any day. Nearly the whole panel has represented Wexford at some level.

Doylerwex (Wexford) - Posts: 1722 - 06/02/2016 11:35:16    1822781

Link

Cheers, similar to nap so, should be a cracker so!

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 06/02/2016 13:46:54    1822816

Link

Excellent of hurling. The extra legs and physicality of Na Piarsig just about got them over the line againts a stubborn Oulart team who have done themselves and their county proud. I'm genuinely gutted they didn't quite get to Croke park. What an incredibly season Oulart have had between camoige. Fantastic effort from that parish.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 06/02/2016 20:26:08    1822910

Link

I think nap were better overall but when oulart came strong in last 5-10 min it looked like they would win and for me I would have been disappointed but I really admired oulart the for their fight.i said it before you,d need to be a rocket science to keep up with all modern day tactics but if they had pushed up a little more when they had the wind they,d have scored more I,d need to watch it again but long balls out of defence every time on top of r lynch and he cleaning up.call me old fashioned but I hate all these tactics with spare man in defence and it seems most teams are doing it now,at the end of the day though the basics will always be the same and most important.

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1093 - 07/02/2016 08:49:22    1822962

Link

Very brave effort from oulart yesterday to come back,I taught they were goosed at half-time 2pts down having to play against the wind,if wexford showed the same courage we wouldn't go far wrong this year

Taught Gareth sinnott was outstanding in the 2nd half,and the backs stood up well against the 2nd best forward line at club level in my view after ballyhale,the forwards struggled as they were outnumbered playing an extra man out the field,taught David Redmond wasn't himself after getting a bad bang early in the game and they'll regret some bad wides

Felt the referee had a bit of a nightmare and made some bizarre decisions,blackspot couldn't understand you're confidence saying na pairsaigh would win with a good bit to spare,there are brilliant side but as oulart showed yesterday they're not to bad either

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 07/02/2016 18:59:13    1823166

Link

ya wexico I was very impressed with oularth, alot better than I thought. And not just heart/battle etc. some lovely hurling. Like I mentioned in one post i actually didnt know how good they were, i was just going by county power and just knowing how good nap are. I thought some of naps bigger stars were dissapointing in particular dowling which isn't great from a limerick perspective but i guess he is human too and can have an off day.

How old is Sinnott? has he retired from county? Id say he still has something to offer wexford no? also just curious? why dont some wexford people like Oularth? are they just sick of their dominance or something?

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 07/02/2016 20:32:17    1823224

Link

Yeah taught Dowling was poor aswell,he hasn't really kicked on after getting the all star in 2014,taught both of the nap midfielders were excellent and the no.2 Casey was his name,Downes was very good aswel but to me he's a bit of an enigma,some games he looks top draw and in other games he'll be anonymous,also would Ronan lynch be more well known as a centre back or as a forward I know he was a forward for your u21s last year,cushendall were impressive in the other semi final and like yesterday I'd only make nap slight favourites for the final

Sinnott is 28,only retired from wexford over the winter,he's had a bad time with injuries particularly with his hips and I think the strain of the training regime at intercounty level was taking its tole,the main reason their unpopular in wexford is they've dominated won 8 of the last 10 championships,suppose it's only human nature in any sport to want to see a team get knocked of their purch,some people might be jealous of them in that they concentrate fully on hurling, they don't field any adult football team whatsoever but alot of their rivals in wexford are dual clubs,by my reckoning they had 4 current Wexford panellists yesterday,7 of the starting team are former panellists and 2 of the subs were former panellists and Paul Roche is was injured is a former panellist

wexico15 (Wexford) - Posts: 3034 - 07/02/2016 21:07:44    1823248

Link

yeah the funny thing is everyone in limerick says dowling is gauranteed his place atleast because of his frees but he was awful on them too! Yeah Na Piarsigh always considered lynch a half back, i heard nap clubmen giving out about the 21s playing him in the forwards but they had a strong hb line and ronan is versatile so was put up front but this years 21s are without that entire halfback line this year so id imagine hell be centre back. And ya everyone in limerick would agree with you on downes. Very frustrating because he has so much potential but often flops. Thats a pity about sinnott, seems like hes a good leader too. Rossiter is still flying too! Ya thats understandable so!

blackspot91 (Limerick) - Posts: 1028 - 07/02/2016 21:39:25    1823275

Link

Hard luck to Oulart. You played with great heart and fought back with great character. You did Wexford proud.

In my opinion, David Redmond's knock and eventual substitution had an influence on the game. He is very good midfielder and a big physical presence.
Loosing your best county player is just one of those things that can go wrong on the day. Just shows how good David Redmond is as a player.

Well done Oulart on a brave and gutsy display.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 09/02/2016 13:09:26    1823924

Link

I didn't get a chance to post before now.

Just wanted to say well done to Oulart on the run this year to the semi-finals. I think most of the county got behind the team and the Leinster final win was great to see.

On the semi-final, I think the telling difference between the teams was the Na Piarsigh main players got better in extra time, Downes in particular. While Oulart's main players Mick Jacob, Gareth Sinnott, David Redmond, Des Mythen all ran out of steam. The move of Sinnott to centre-back for the last 15 mins of normal time turned the game for Oulart, if he had stayed on I think they had a great chance.

Also, I think it's ridiculous for an All-Ireland semi-final not to go to a replay. Extra time was unnecessary

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2487 - 14/02/2016 17:35:01    1825301

Link