Wexford Forum

Wexford Hurling 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

For the third time chin done an interview with local paper after Offaly game and stated that ALL the team were not fit enough going into Dublin match. You are so wrong about Ian Byrne he left the panel because he had a fall out with Dunne and that is the only reason he left. It had nothing to do with him going abroad.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 08/08/2016 13:06:04    1898003

Link

Replying To mrfox:  "For the third time chin done an interview with local paper after Offaly game and stated that ALL the team were not fit enough going into Dublin match. You are so wrong about Ian Byrne he left the panel because he had a fall out with Dunne and that is the only reason he left. It had nothing to do with him going abroad."
"he had a fall out" might be the operative words there. It may have been the case of 'his way or the highway' and unfortunately, he opted out. I may be wrong, just giving a bit of balance. He was a big loss, but that's life.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 08/08/2016 13:30:21    1898029

Link

Replying To gminor:  ""he had a fall out" might be the operative words there. It may have been the case of 'his way or the highway' and unfortunately, he opted out. I may be wrong, just giving a bit of balance. He was a big loss, but that's life."
Himself and Dunne fell out. Correct he was gone from panel after this fall out with Dunne and that was the reason he was not involved. It had nothing to do with him going abroad therefore castletownman is wrong again

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 08/08/2016 15:49:36    1898152

Link

Replying To mrfox:  "
Replying To gminor:  ""he had a fall out" might be the operative words there. It may have been the case of 'his way or the highway' and unfortunately, he opted out. I may be wrong, just giving a bit of balance. He was a big loss, but that's life."
Himself and Dunne fell out. Correct he was gone from panel after this fall out with Dunne and that was the reason he was not involved. It had nothing to do with him going abroad therefore castletownman is wrong again"
Ok, but the point I was trying to make was that the row may not have been pesipitated by Dunne, but I don't know that for sure. But either way, he may or may not return to the panel next year, regardless of who the manager will be - but we do need him.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 08/08/2016 16:22:38    1898166

Link

Replying To gminor:  "
Replying To mrfox:  "[quote=gminor:  ""he had a fall out" might be the operative words there. It may have been the case of 'his way or the highway' and unfortunately, he opted out. I may be wrong, just giving a bit of balance. He was a big loss, but that's life."
Himself and Dunne fell out. Correct he was gone from panel after this fall out with Dunne and that was the reason he was not involved. It had nothing to do with him going abroad therefore castletownman is wrong again"
Ok, but the point I was trying to make was that the row may not have been pesipitated by Dunne, but I don't know that for sure. But either way, he may or may not return to the panel next year, regardless of who the manager will be - but we do need him."]He is gone to work abroad and earliest he would be back is end of June I think. Don't think we will see him hurling next year for wex which is a pity.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 08/08/2016 17:18:08    1898212

Link

Replying To mrfox:  "
Replying To gminor:  "[quote=mrfox:  "[quote=gminor:  ""he had a fall out" might be the operative words there. It may have been the case of 'his way or the highway' and unfortunately, he opted out. I may be wrong, just giving a bit of balance. He was a big loss, but that's life."
Ok, but the point I was trying to make was that the row may not have been pesipitated by Dunne, but I don't know that for sure. But either way, he may or may not return to the panel next year, regardless of who the manager will be - but we do need him."]He is gone to work abroad and earliest he would be back is end of June I think. Don't think we will see him hurling next year for wex which is a pity."]That's a pity, he's a very good hurler, altough he wasn't at his best this year. I wonder was travel on his mind all year.

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 08/08/2016 19:02:27    1898286

Link

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and here's my twopence.

I think Frank Flannery would be a very good choice if the job becomes available. There's a good track record with evidence of his ability.

Two main reasons
1. A distinct style of play. It's not everybody's cup of tea but Clare have won an all ireland and Waterford a league with a style similar to that. So when KK have rarely slipped up, this semi possession game was good enough to bring home a national title.
It also brought Oulart that elusive Leinster.
http://www.gaa.ie/hurling/news/redmond-hails-flannery-role-otb-success/

2. He seems to be a very good people manager. Maybe this is something we need? I definitely think an intercounty manager needs to walk that fine line between discipline and freedom.
As we kept loosing puck after puck out against Dublin and Waterford, I couldn't help but think what if Guiney was there? (or even Kevin Foley)
Only Cody could be as strong with his players because he has been so successful. Anthony Cunningham got the boot in Galway for taking the harder line like Cody.
There was an interview on 1 of the national radio stations the other day about mental health and the Cork Camogie captain was talking about about Frank Flannery's influence on her club. Here's a link or two.
http://www.gaa.ie/news/club-ashling-thompson-milford/
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/camogie/i-wouldnt-be-here-only-for-camogie-cork-camogie-captain-ashling-thompson-on-her-battle-with-depression-31365950.html

Good luck to the county board with their decision and we'll get behind whoever gets the job.

Punter72007 (Wexford) - Posts: 224 - 09/08/2016 13:10:55    1898755

Link

Replying To Punter72007:  "Everybody is entitled to their opinion and here's my twopence.

I think Frank Flannery would be a very good choice if the job becomes available. There's a good track record with evidence of his ability.

Two main reasons
1. A distinct style of play. It's not everybody's cup of tea but Clare have won an all ireland and Waterford a league with a style similar to that. So when KK have rarely slipped up, this semi possession game was good enough to bring home a national title.

2. He seems to be a very good people manager. Maybe this is something we need? I definitely think an intercounty manager needs to walk that fine line between discipline and freedom.
As we kept loosing puck after puck out against Dublin and Waterford, I couldn't help but think what if Guiney was there? (or even Kevin Foley)
Only Cody could be as strong with his players because he has been so successful. Anthony Cunningham got the boot in Galway for taking the harder line like Cody.
There was an interview on 1 of the national radio stations the other day about mental health and the Cork Camogie captain was talking about about Frank Flannery's influence on her club. Here's a link or two.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/camogie/i-wouldnt-be-here-only-for-camogie-cork-camogie-captain-ashling-thompson-on-her-battle-with-depression-31365950.html

Good luck to the county board with their decision and we'll get behind whoever gets the job."
I agree, the best of luck to whoever gets the job and to the panel under him. The only problem I see is that, while the semi possession system worked for Clare in 2013, they've struggled with that style of play since. Also, Waterford were skinned by Tipperary using their system. They went man on man against Kilkenny last Sunday and were five points when they reverted to the possession system and it would have lost them the game, if Paul Murphy had taken his chance. So I'm not convinced that the sitting back and trying to break is the way forward for the game of hurling. Waterford proved that their a better team playing man on man and working hard when not in possession

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 09/08/2016 14:30:19    1898829

Link

Replying To Punter72007:  "Everybody is entitled to their opinion and here's my twopence.

Two main reasons

Good luck to the county board with their decision and we'll get behind whoever gets the job."
I agree, the best of luck to whoever gets the job and to the panel under him. The only problem I see is that, while the semi possession system worked for Clare in 2013, they've struggled with that style of play since. Also, Waterford were skinned by Tipperary using their system. They went man on man against Kilkenny last Sunday and were five points when they reverted to the possession system and it would have lost them the game, if Paul Murphy had taken his chance. So I'm not convinced that the sitting back and trying to break is the way forward for the game of hurling. Waterford proved that their a better team playing man on man and working hard when not in possession

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 09/08/2016 14:30:19    1898830

Link

We must also remember some players just cant commit to the lifestyle now expected of a inter county player, its not for everyone

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - Posts: 1428 - 09/08/2016 14:47:09    1898841

Link

Lads there is no use discussing liam dunne with gimmor, its fairly obvious he believes Dunne to be the best manager we've ever had and has dug deep into the barrell forb ammunitinon to prove his point despite stating a fair amount of incorrect information. I'm happy whether Dunne stays or goes and there are reasonable merits to both sides. My initiial point was to gauge the feeling within the camp before deciding and plotting our way forward. Stability is good but were not going to really push forward until we get our full selection of better players happily playing for our county in a united camp that are 100% satisfied with mngt and prep. I'm not sure Dunne's man management will ever allow that happen. For what its worth the oulart players hold Flannery in the highest regard as the best coach/ manager they've ever had and those lads have worked under a good few including Dunne.

cragask (Wexford) - Posts: 892 - 09/08/2016 15:31:21    1898881

Link

Replying To cragask:  "Lads there is no use discussing liam dunne with gimmor, its fairly obvious he believes Dunne to be the best manager we've ever had and has dug deep into the barrell forb ammunitinon to prove his point despite stating a fair amount of incorrect information. I'm happy whether Dunne stays or goes and there are reasonable merits to both sides. My initiial point was to gauge the feeling within the camp before deciding and plotting our way forward. Stability is good but were not going to really push forward until we get our full selection of better players happily playing for our county in a united camp that are 100% satisfied with mngt and prep. I'm not sure Dunne's man management will ever allow that happen. For what its worth the oulart players hold Flannery in the highest regard as the best coach/ manager they've ever had and those lads have worked under a good few including Dunne."
I really lover you assertion that I'm not entitled to have an opinion. At least I put my cards on the table, not like you, sitting squarly on the fence. In one sentence you say you'd be happy whether Dunne stayed or not and in the next sentence saying you don't think he has the man management ability to make the players happy, implying that he's not the best man for the job. Which is it, can you please square the circle? He's either good enough or he's not. I think he is good enough. You should manup and call it one way or the other.

Heres another quote from your most recent post "My initiial point was to gauge the feeling within the camp before deciding and plotting our way forward".

gminor (Wexford) - Posts: 487 - 09/08/2016 17:46:54    1898990

Link

in reply to MrFox
'You are so wrong about Ian Byrne he left the panel because he had a fall out with Dunne and that is the only reason he left. It had nothing to do with him going abroad.'

Sorry you are actually incorrect. Dunne gave Byrne permission to play football with his club on a snr county hurling night. Paul Morris - from the same club opted to come to hurling training. The following Sat the squad had a full day training camp, and Ian Byrne was given the Sat off to recover. It even says in the article in the Wexford People "He has complained of a calf injury which saw him only train once in six weeks. He's had a full football game with Ferns in the club championship in the intervening period. He has not been dropped as I need every player given the injury crisis." [He was due to return to training with the squad the following Monday and never showed up.... There was no fall out, Byrne just never turned up. Not much of a falling out there, just a player who let his team mates down and didn't want to commit.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 09/08/2016 18:37:31    1899013

Link

MrFoc As you are such a stickler for detail I've included the article below, unlike you Lee Chin argument/fitness argument (perhaps you're confused as Lee Chin was injured and not fit for the Dublin match).

Wexford manager Liam Dunne has been forced to come out and quash rumours that Ian Byrne has been dropped from the squad.

Dunne revealed to the Wexford People that Byrne and Paul Morris had been given permission to play football with their clubs last week, but Morris opted to train with the county hurlers.

The Wexford manager added that Byrne had been released from training last weekend but was due to return during the week; however he has failed to do so.

Speaking to the Wexford People he said: "Both Ian and Paul (Morris) were allowed play a midweek football championship game with their club. Ian played but Paul chose to attend hurling training.

"Ian was given the following Saturday off to rest as we were having a heavy training session in Grantstown which took in the full day.

"I told Ian that I would see him on the following Monday evening when he would take his first full training session in six weeks. He did not appear. I've not seen him again and he did not attend last weekend's training.

"I'm adamant that despite the rumours, Ian has not been dropped from the squad. I have not dropped him, no member of the management team has dropped him. Only Ian knows what he wants at this stage.

"He has complained of a calf injury which saw him only train once in six weeks. He's had a full football game with Ferns in the club championship in the intervening period. He has not been dropped as I need every player given the injury crisis."

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 09/08/2016 18:38:35    1899014

Link

hurlorhurley 'We must also remember some players just cant commit to the lifestyle now expected of a inter county player, its not for everyone'

Exactly so why do posters keep bringing up players who DO NOT want to commit. Talent is over rated, all inter county players are talented, it's the players who want to work and commit who should be invested in. Managers also have about 30 other players to focus on, keep happy and train.

castletownman (Wexford) - Posts: 249 - 09/08/2016 19:00:11    1899028

Link

Replying To castletownman:  "in reply to MrFox
'You are so wrong about Ian Byrne he left the panel because he had a fall out with Dunne and that is the only reason he left. It had nothing to do with him going abroad.'

Sorry you are actually incorrect. Dunne gave Byrne permission to play football with his club on a snr county hurling night. Paul Morris - from the same club opted to come to hurling training. The following Sat the squad had a full day training camp, and Ian Byrne was given the Sat off to recover. It even says in the article in the Wexford People "He has complained of a calf injury which saw him only train once in six weeks. He's had a full football game with Ferns in the club championship in the intervening period. He has not been dropped as I need every player given the injury crisis." [He was due to return to training with the squad the following Monday and never showed up.... There was no fall out, Byrne just never turned up. Not much of a falling out there, just a player who let his team mates down and didn't want to commit."
There was definite a disagreement between them both. Now Byrne may have choose not to continue but my point was that it had nothing to do with him going abroad as has been stated incorrectly.

mrfox (Wexford) - Posts: 338 - 09/08/2016 20:58:11    1899096

Link