Wexford Forum

Fixtures clash with Ladies football final

(Oldest Posts First)

I read with interest how the ladies county board are up in arms about the fact that there will be Mens fixtures on the day of the All Ireland final. Whereas I do hope that sense will prevail and that there will be no fixtures concerning clubs with Ladies on the team (or that these games can be fixed for late evening at least)I am slightly bemused that the ladies County board has the neck to question the Fixture making decisions in light of a few senseless decisions of its own in the last few weeks.
1) the fixing of the Division 1 County under 16 final for the night of the Junior cert results?? beggars belief.
2) delaying a replay of a county shield final by 5 weeks to 'protect' county players - a bit of overkill to say the least.
A bit of pot and kettle there

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 15/09/2014 11:49:08    1652114

Link

The clubs were given the choice of two nights for the under 16 final and they agreed on the night in question
on the shield final issue, the clubs were asked at a county board meeting to play extra time in all shield finals to avoid replays and they turned down this offer, they were warned before that a replay would not take place until after the All Ireland final as the game in question involved 12 players from the county team
I hope this clears up any issues you have Tony

bogstandard (Wexford) - Posts: 799 - 15/09/2014 17:23:12    1652315

Link

To clear up any rumours going around about the u16 girls final on the Junior cert result night. The county board fixed the match for the night before the junior cert results to facilitate the girls, Kilmore objected to this fixture and the match had to be refixed to its original date set in the fixtures book. County board are not to blame for this fixture.

Titanium (Wexford) - Posts: 83 - 16/09/2014 09:08:41    1652480

Link

Firstly I don't know who the Tony is you are referring to. My name is Paula actually. It would appear that the clubs are as much to blame as the county board here for agreeing to such stupid scheduling. But then that is nothing new in the GAA is it. Complete lack of consideration for the players by the powers that be... blame everyone else for decisions that are 'out of their hands'.
How anyone can think that fixing an U16 County final for the night of the Junior cert results is a good idea (most people getting Junior cert results are 15 & 16 years old btw)is just beyond me.

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 16/09/2014 09:48:59    1652511

Link

Once again Paula I would like to make it clear, Kilmore would not play the match on the night before the junior cert results. Gusserane had offered the Kilmore manager the option of playing on the weekend before the junior cert results and also the night before the junior cert results, both rejected by Kilmore. The county board were willing to change the date if both clubs could reach agreement as this did not happen the county board were forced to play fix it on the date originally fixed at the start of the year which was the night of Junior cert results.

Titanium (Wexford) - Posts: 83 - 16/09/2014 12:45:28    1652631

Link

Titanium - It's of little concern to me who's fault it was that the game was played on the night of the Junior cert results. It should NEVER have been fixed for that night in the first place. I appreciate that when the fixtures were set people may not have realised the clash but surely someone with 'cop on' would have noticed the problem as the date came closer. I think the action of forcing both teams to play the game that night was just ridiculous and shows a complete lack of concideration for all the players. Similar issue in relation to the Shield final postponed asking girls to wait 5 weeks for a replay is ridiculous, again if the clubs voted for that well shame on them.
To go back to my original point (and thank you for illustrating the point even further)If that is how the ladies GAA conduct their own affairs in terms of not looking after their players (both clubs and county board) well I think they are on very shaky ground in pointing the finger at the mens' GAA and accusing them of not accommodating them. Get your own house in order first ladies.

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 16/09/2014 13:54:06    1652667

Link

"To go back to my original point (and thank you for illustrating the point even further)If that is how the ladies GAA conduct their own affairs in terms of not looking after their players (both clubs and county board) well I think they are on very shaky ground in pointing the finger at the mens' GAA and accusing them of not accommodating them. Get your own house in order first ladies"

I think you misinterpreted my point by a long shot, the county board tried their best for the girls but you cannot satisfy someone who does not want to be satisfied. This means clubs cannot dictate when fixtures are made to benifit themselves.

Titanium (Wexford) - Posts: 83 - 16/09/2014 14:31:31    1652682

Link

Yes and to be fair to the Mens county board they are making every effort to support their players to get the championships played off in time so that there is representation at Leinster club level and that no player is deprived of this right. Surely your not suggesting that the ladies football association should be able to 'dictate when fixtures are made to benifit themselves'

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 16/09/2014 14:55:01    1652696

Link

there would be no clash if it was a camogie final id say

Stmunnsriver (Wexford) - Posts: 2009 - 16/09/2014 15:22:33    1652716

Link

indaknownow my point is that the county board are not at fault, Kilmore were trying to dictate dates, please reread my other posts

Titanium (Wexford) - Posts: 83 - 16/09/2014 15:38:20    1652726

Link

Well my point is that the way ladies football is organised is a joke. Whether its the clubs or the county board or who-ever is at fault no one can take them serious as an organisation. There is no co-operation or co-ordination among themselves so how can they expect other organisations to co-operate with them. look at cork in Senior Camogie and football All Irelands. How many dual players do they have? (No Dual Players in Wexford) no problem with those girls playing an all Ireland Camogie final two weeks ahead of a SENIOR football all Ireland. We cant play a shield final 3 weeks ahead of an all Ireland Junior Final. Senior club football one club beating everyone else by 20+ points because there is no real control on Transfers. Then its blame everyone else and its not our fault!! Tell that to a 16 year old girl who cant go and celebrate with her friends on the night of her Junior Cert.

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 16/09/2014 16:18:09    1652756

Link

Paula, for an Offaly poster you have are seriously upto speed. My bit to it is that Kilmore were trying to pull a fast one with fixtures as they had injury problems but co board insisted match go ahead when no agreement reached or face fine of 4000 euro each. Total crazy. In defence of wex gaa they have fixed 4 matches for Sunday eve all starting at 5pm so plenty of time to get home to take in both matches for all effected [if any]

downthecentre (Wexford) - Posts: 41 - 16/09/2014 20:59:50    1652871

Link

The ladies football game
All Ireland Junior Ladies championship is a competition for four counties Wexford, Louth, Derry and New York

Wexford and louth played one another in The Leinster Final with Wexford winning
The draw for the all Ireland series through up a repeat of Wexford Louth leinster final
The final V New York is a all Ireland Final and very important to the players and their families as an all Ireland is an All Ireland

The Wexford GAA

The Wexford senior Intermediate and Intermediate A champions in hurling and football will represent their county in the Leinster championship
For the most part in the average club players life (excluding Oulart) you will be very luck to get a chance to play in the Leinster club championship.

Bearing that in mind Wexford GAA have a duty to run their championships to get as many of their county winners into their respective leinster competitions and after the senior and U21 run they will need a replay free run or a dual less semi finals to make some of these. with the added complication of the all Ireland replay as well.

The co boards first duty is to their own players

When the ladies played their home league matches it was common for some players to have played a club soccer matches earlier in the day which would be hard to make progress from junior with that committment , The numbers playing the game have never being as high and thirty years ago we were contesting all Ireland Senior finals its only a few years ago we were in an Intermediate Final . There is plenty of work to be getting on with by the ladies before hopping off The Wexford Gaa board

Linebacker (Wexford) - Posts: 100 - 16/09/2014 21:19:10    1652878

Link

I think its obvious I'm a Wexford woman - from Ballycullane actually. I must have ticked the wrong box when I registered. I never realised what little competition there was in the All Ireland Junior Champ. Thanks for illustrating the point Linebacker. And I would agree with a lot of what you say.

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 17/09/2014 12:15:30    1652990

Link

further illustration of the different attitudes between winners (Cork) and losers.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=224620

indaknownow (Offaly) - Posts: 52 - 19/09/2014 14:20:30    1653889

Link

well done to the ladies today,great to see an all ireland back in the county

patsyrowntree (Wexford) - Posts: 10 - 28/09/2014 17:44:11    1657733

Link

A massive well done to all involved, super performance, with some lovely footballers

rossytilidie (Wexford) - Posts: 257 - 28/09/2014 21:10:45    1657841

Link

I think in fairness there was an issue with Johnny Roche. He trains both the Ladies Footballers and Ballyhogue Intermediates and the fact he had to leave the Ladies footballers victory banquet to go to the Intermediate quarter final between Ballyhogue and Taghmon.

Of course the Intermediate game should have been finished last weekend when Ballyhogue were 3 points up with 10 minutes to go and the floodlights in Cushinstown failed forcing the match to be abandoned but surely the re-fixture could have been fixed for friday or saturday night.

Either way well done to the Wexford ladies, any all ireland is a great boost for the county so congratulations.

tearintom (Wexford) - Posts: 853 - 29/09/2014 08:26:12    1657892

Link